Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

Just now, Dman979 said:

Sorry, Kuzzter, but I'm not buying it. There's no way that the relative velocity between them could have been 550 m/s. That was shopped. :mad:

It was shopped, but that's not the relative velocity between the missiles: that's the velocity of the Kerbulan missile relative to its stationary target. Sorry, that's an unclear POV violation on my part. But hey, if you insist that nothing be shopped I can do that--new pages should appear in a few months.

8 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Why don't they aim for where they will be, not where they are? Isn't that what Gene Kerman said in the asteroid redirect thingy? :D 

Harder to do when the darn thing's moving around in an unpredictable way.

Speaking of references, the last panel - with the escaping cruise misssile - reminded me of a daredevil technique fighter pilots used against WW2 V1 missiles : They took patrol formation with the missile, inserted a wing under V1 one, and started a roll manoeuver : that destabilized the V1 who then lost gyroscopic guidance.
... Maybe one of Kuzzter's Kerbal with be that crazy (even if jeb is actually in the Jool area) ... I hope to see that, even with photoshop use.

Here is a link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#/media/File:Spitfire_Tipping_V-1_Flying_Bomb.jpg

Best (sorta-)Webcomic I followed for ages. Keep it up, Kuzzter ! Cheers !

Edited by Kordolius
Edited for typos, added a wikipedia link

3 hours ago, Kordolius said:

Speaking of references, the last panel - with the escaping cruise misssile - reminded me of a daredevil technique fighter pilots used against WW2 V1 missiles : They took patrol formation with the missile, inserted a wing under V1 one, and started a roll manoeuver : that destabilized the V1 who then lost gyroscopic guidance.
... Maybe one of Kuzzter's Kerbal with be that crazy (even if jeb is actually in the Jool area) ... I hope to see that, even with photoshop use.

Here is a link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#/media/File:Spitfire_Tipping_V-1_Flying_Bomb.jpg

Best (sorta-)Webcomic I followed for ages. Keep it up, Kuzzter ! Cheers !

I think this was brought up earlier.  Wouldn't it require the intercepting craft to have wings to bump the cruise missile?

On 1/31/2017 at 0:54 AM, IncongruousGoat said:

Frakking? So we've got Battlestar Galactica references now? Okay. I'll just keep an eye out for when some of the Kerbals start suspiciously referring to each other using numbers...

Well, of course--we've got a frakking space carrier! Actually two--well, we did have two. But the whole "Action stations...set Condition One!" sequence should have been your first clue I'm a Battlestar fan :) 

23 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*GASP!*

I just couldn't bear the guilt of "disappointing" the readers by cheating Enterprise into orbit. This was the only way to balance the scales and restore everyone's faith in me. You're welcome.

Edited by Kuzzter

So, somebody exposed himself to take out what he thought to be the biggest threat? Viable tactics for Kerbulan standards of flagship armaments, but this opponent may be quite different.

Now it's the question what do the SSTO planes have in terms of... probe carrying capabilities. After all, there are four of them... wait, was there ...more? No, I don't think I remember any more

30 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

So Science Officer Leonard essentially "reversed the polarity."

So many tropes, so little time :D I didn't realize there was a specific one just for reversing polarity--I was operating under a more general Geordi LaForge-esqe, "If we modify the emitter dish to transmit these particles we just learned about five minutes ago, it'll yada yada subspace field!" But yeah, there it is!

I've also been waiting to make a "positive gravioli detector" joke ever since the first Interlude of Duna, Ore Bust!

27 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So many tropes, so little time :D I didn't realize there was a specific one just for reversing polarity--I was operating under a more general Geordi LaForge-esqe, "If we modify the emitter dish to transmit these particles we just learned about five minutes ago, it'll yada yada subspace field!" But yeah, there it is!

I've also been waiting to make a "positive gravioli detector" joke ever since the first Interlude of Duna, Ore Bust!

I remember it from Star Trek, but mostly found Doctor Who references on the YouTubes.  Then I remembered TV Tropes!

Edit:  It gets better, I count 24 episodes of Star Trek, according to Memory-Alpha's entry on "Polarity."

Edited by Soda Popinski
Reversed polarity

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Before anyone comments, yes I do know how mass and gravity work in our world. If you haven't noticed, this comic is not set in our world. Carry on :) 

It is still a bit under discussion, if there is an exchange particle of the gravitational force. This hypothetical particle is called Graviton. As it has been proven by Alcubierre et al. in their 1994 publication, it is - in theory - possible to build a warp drive and bend space time, given that exotic matter is at hand. The amount of mass needed to build such a device was consequently reduced due to more efficient designs of the warp drive (yes, we already did improve the warp-drive, although, nobody has an idea how to build one). The mass - or exotic mass - needed to propel the ship at warp speed - erm technically that is "propelling the space around the ship" - would allow to generate a contraction and expanse of space time itself. Hence, if used correctly, it would be possible to cloak the gravity field of a vessel by counteracting its own "Gravitons" (if they exist). Naturally such a annihilation must leave some sort of detectable output, which very well could be anti-gravitons or whatever it would be. Hence, the idea of looking for anti-gravitons or, as they are called in Kerban/Kerbulan "positive gravioli particles", is not that dumb after all.

However, according to the laws of thermodynamics, the cloaked wessel must leave some sort of detectable output in some form. Knowing the Kerbulans do no possess the technology of RTGs, it might be the logical solution to look for their exhaust tip? So, probably, Leonard Nimoy should invent a far-infrared camera?

1 minute ago, something said:

[snip] Hence, the idea of looking for anti-gravitons or, as they are called in Kerban/Kerbulan "positive gravioli particles", is not that dumb after all.

However, according to the laws of thermodynamics, the cloaked wessel must leave some sort of detectable output in some form. Knowing the Kerbulans do no possess the technology of RTGs, it might be the logical solution to look for their exhaust tip? So, probably, Leonard Nimoy should invent a far-infrared camera?

Well as Nichelle said, "the thing's gotta have a tailpipe!" And certainly, if it's got a temperature, it's emitting some kind of radiation, which one would expect the bloaking device somehow bloaks or else it wouldn't be much good would it? But I couldn't be bothered to wave my hands in that particular direction, especially since the positive gravioli joke was funnier. And who's this "Nimoy" fellow people keep talking about? That science officer's last name is Kerman. :wink: 

Well, it seems the Kerbulan has stronger nerves than I thought, although now he's revealed his position and he's running out of ammunition, I guess what happens then depends on what the Kerbfleet Gliido pilots decide to do. For now my guess is that Glide 5 is going to be important somehow.

Aku