Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

Hey folks, the good news is I started a new job today! The bad news is that updates will now be delayed even more than before. But Kerbfleet will continue :) 

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hey folks, the good news is I started a new job today! The bad news is that updates will now be delayed even more than before. But Kerbfleet will continue :) 

Congrats on the new job - that's great news!

Congrats on the new job, Kuzzter!

Anyway, Kuzter mentioned a bit ago that the point of good Sci-Fi was to examine our own condition through the lens of fantasy. I'm afraid I'll have to come down on the side that we're inherently bad.

Consider this: we have to teach children how to share, but not how to take from others. Obviously, sharing when you can is the right thing to do, no? So why do we find it hard to do the right thing? Why do we have have laws defining what is not OK to do?

This is not to say that the world is bad. Society has evolved to teach children the norms of behavior that allow it to continue. We can improve on our default states, sure, but without reminders we will return to them, a la Lord of the Flies.

What does this mean for the comic? Well, Kerbals don't seem to have the same default state as us, though they may have had it earlier (IIRC, there was a trade war or something like that). The Kerbulans, on the other hand, seem to be more like, well... us. This scares me, since we're well known to destroy and shape our environments to our liking despite the presence of other people.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

#1 priority, keeping Kuzzter employed and health, so really good to hear!  A very close second is keeping Kerbfleet going... I left that whip around somewhere... :wink:

Best of luck at the new job!

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

What does this mean for the comic? Well, Kerbals don't seem to have the same default state as us, though they may have had it earlier (IIRC, there was a trade war or something like that). The Kerbulans, on the other hand, seem to be more like, well... us. This scares me, since we're well known to destroy and shape our environments to our liking despite the presence of other people.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that.  We have people like the Kerbulans but we live in a world that still has scarcity.  Some people have more than the need, a lot of people are a couple days away from starving if everything collapsed, a lot of the human population barely has enough resources to live on.  As a result, killing someone and taking what they have is often about survival, not because someone wants to kill someone else.

In first world countries, you are more likely to be killed in an accident than murdered (4x just by car accident alone in the US if I got the right numbers).  This seems to say that most of the human population is pretty good when their basic needs are met.  Of course this isn't a formal study or anything.

1 hour ago, Drethon said:

...  This seems to say that most of the human population is pretty good when their basic needs are met. 

Either that or lots of people really suck at driving :P

8 hours ago, Drethon said:

I'm not sure I fully agree with that.  We have people like the Kerbulans but we live in a world that still has scarcity.  Some people have more than the need, a lot of people are a couple days away from starving if everything collapsed, a lot of the human population barely has enough resources to live on.  As a result, killing someone and taking what they have is often about survival, not because someone wants to kill someone else.

I'm saying that, given the chance, each of us would be like the Kerbulans. We're a product of the society you're brought up in- to an extent- which might be why none of us can imagine being like that. But I'm sure that if society broke down, we'd end up like the Kerbulans- fighting for our own personal gain, but subjugated to the will of others. In fact, that's almost how we are now. The only thing that would change would be the methods.

On 2017-05-18 at 8:39 AM, Kuzzter said:

Excellent! The ability to feed oneself and support the household is a far greater priority than anything that KSP can deliver.

Altho' KSP is alot more fun.....too bad we can't get paid doing that! :)

Good luck on the new job, and don't worry about us. We tend to stick around.

5 minutes ago, Noname117 said:

Just got caught up again, how many Kerbals has Kuzzter killed now since the war with the Kerbulans began?

I'm not sure... do we still know the ultimate fate of the Enterprise?

On 5/16/2017 at 6:44 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Admiral Shirley is M.I.A, as shown a few pages ago :)

Yeah, that was what i was thinking... until we know what happened to her we can't say how many were lost....

30 minutes ago, Noname117 said:

Well we can get it down to a +/- 1 if you exclude kerbals in the space center who were killed.

Well, +/- .5 I should say

I don't know..... I've been digging thru past pages, and there are two questions I haven't been able to answer:

1) Did Shirley order the Enterprise to abandon ship?  (I'm assuming she did)

2) Did the bridge crew listen?  (I'm assuming they didn't)

So unless I missed a page somewhere, there could be more than just Shirley that's MIA

5 minutes ago, Readerty2007 said:

1. Shirley did order an abandon ship. "I'm sorry, sailor, but I'm afraid this IS my evac station"

Oh, that's right!  But that still begs the question, did the bridge crew listen to her evac order, or stay with her... it's happened before....

A tribute to the Battle of Kerbin: 

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in orbit, we shall fight on the Mun and Minmus, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in space, we shall defend our planet, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight at the KSC, we shall fight at Mount Whoopstooshort, we shall fight in the Van Kerman belts and at the Desert Monument, we shall fight in the Joolian system; we shall never surrender! Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if Kerbfleet and its crews last for a thousand years, kerbs will still say, “This was their finest hour!”

Edited by KAL 9000

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, that's right!  But that still begs the question, did the bridge crew listen to her evac order, or stay with her... it's happened before....

Yes, I think they did leave.

38 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Yes, I think they did leave.

Maybe... I honestly don't know. But I do know that "Abandon Ship" is the one order some senior bridge crew have been known to ignore... And if they did, I believe Mr. Sulu... excuse me... George Kerman... would be the first to strap himself and yell,

"With all due respect, we're staying!!!"

That's my question... Because honestly, as good friend's as we are, I just can't tell, or even guess, which way @Kuzzter actually went with this...