Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

10 minutes ago, 1101 said:

I half expect someone to draw a smiley face in it, like Picard did in that slow-mo warp core breach in TNG...

Sadly, gas diffusion still works fine at normal time in zero gee, or I might just do that :) 

22 minutes ago, KSK said:

I guess the Kerbulans haven't seen Broken Arrow.

"Evil Bob - would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear reactor!"

Or Aliens

"Look, guys... Uhhhh... we can't have any shooting in there... I need you to collect magazines..."  :0.0:

8 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Yeah, pretty soon we're going to have forum comments sneaking into the comic.

hi Kenlie

We already had a competition about how close to Tedus and Bill the rescue ship would land, and I do recall some lines from Airplane! making it into the comic after seeing them on the forums....

Don't forget all the times Walt talked about earning rep on "Kerbfleet Social Platform" forums...I've done the Forum front page in PowerPoint at least twice to show on Walt's kpad :)

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:42 PM, The Dunatian said:

I just began reading this and it is good. The musical mentions are hilarious! I've yet to see a kerbal singing Waltzing Matilda though. :wink:

Yes, well, given that we have a nuclear reactor on board, I would rather not see this end the same way as On the Beach.  There is still time, brother.

18 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

Yes, well, given that we have a nuclear reactor on board, I would rather not see this end the same way as On the Beach.  There is still time, brother.

I'm assuming you mean the amazing 1957 novel (and not terribly bad movie) and not my last chapter... 

On 12/1/2017 at 6:32 AM, Kuzzter said:

Don't forget all the times Walt talked about earning rep on "Kerbfleet Social Platform" forums...I've done the Forum front page in PowerPoint at least twice to show on Walt's kpad :)

And that was in two different versions of the forums, too!

On 12/2/2017 at 6:42 PM, The Dunatian said:

I just began reading this and it is good. The musical mentions are hilarious! I've yet to see a kerbal singing Waltzing Matilda though. :wink:

Hm, well, if we ever have an Aussie themed Kerbfleet officer that would certainly have to happen...along with shkrimps and barbees and "that's nought a strut...now THAT'S a strut!" etc. etc. etc.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:17 PM, Geschosskopf said:

I'm still waiting for Sarge to crush some Kermulian skulls with an empty fire extinguisher.  

Yeah, that would certainly be ONE way to resolve the moral dilemma I've been setting up for the last three years.

12 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

Had to look that up--what is it with all the Australian content this week? :) In any case, on the subject of kerbals and radiation--I think that they must necessarily have a very high resistance to radiation exposure, along with other adaptations (ability to survive indefinitely without food, water, etc... willingness to strap themselves to untested and highly flammable contraptions) that make them the perfect species for space exploration. Remember, these guys can spacewalk for weeks inside the orbit of Moho, then get back in their capsule and presuming they aren't killed in a fiery explosion along the way return to Kerbin with no ill effects. In the comic I've made them aware of radiation hazards--recalling Bill's Engineering Updates where Gus was concerned about the large number of unshielded LV-Ns during construction--also when Bill was working in an EVA suit because the shielding hadn't arrived, though this was really just a contrivance to have him in a suit when he got teleported to the Kappaverse as part of the famous Crossover. And now that I think of it, radiation came up in the Eve mission when Bob had to sit on an RTG to take some data. ("I don't care how warm it makes your tushy!")

So, canonically, my Kerbals do think of radiation as being something hazardous you don't want to mess with, but radiation exposure has occurred dozens of times with no apparent ill effects. A plausible hypothesis would be that the combination of evolutionary adaption and REALLY good shielding in ships/EVA suits has protected them thus far.

Edited by Kuzzter

Perhaps the character of the radiation is different. More particles, less gamma rays. It makes it no less deadly to the unshielded, but it's much easier to shield against particulate radiation than electromagnetic.

May have ramifications for kerbal atomic theory, but conveniently we don't have to look there.

12 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

Ha!  I did.  I have to say that the coincidence is almost too good to pass up, but pass it up I will.

Yeah... I knew what you actually meant, but I got a laugh none the less... It was a good coincidence... :D

11 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So, canonically, my Kerbals do think of radiation as being something hazardous you don't want to mess with, but radiation exposure has occurred dozens of times with no apparent ill effects. A plausible hypothesis would be that the combination of evolutionary adaption and REALLY good shielding in ships/EVA suits has protected them thus far.

As far as I can remember, @Geschosskopf is the only other one to write about Kerbals and high doses of radiation... that it was the cause of Sanny the Ghost's death. But she was a unique case... and exposed for quite a long time.

I agree, at least in the short term, they must have some sort of resistance, evolutionary or otherwise. 

Edited by Just Jim

Although seeing how the Kerbulans treat their own and their views on collateral damage, I think they'll need a bit more than a pawn (don't worry I know how chess works, it's just that well, Kerbulans won't hesitate to "capture" their own) maybe their king, that'll do the trick.

<Thinks a bit>
Uh oh, the only way for a pawn to change files is for it to capture a piece, this doesn't bode well.

Nice technique, putting their threat in terms Nimzo understands, looks like Kenlie's checks lessons paid off after all.
Excited to see where this goes next.

Sincerely
AviosAdku

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Somehow I sort of suspected it would eventually come down to Cheks...  :)

Well...as we all know, Kuzzter is not in the habit of spending panels on something that isn't going to be important later. Especially panels that include a hand-rendered cheks board and a dozen or two little ?!!%#$ pieces.

6 hours ago, AviosAdku said:

Uh oh, the only way for a pod to change files is for it to rescue a piece, this doesn't bode well.

FTFY

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

You can't play chess without pawns.

"Pawns--they are the soul of the game, they alone form the attack and the defense"-- Philodor

"The older I grow, the more I value pawns" -- Keres