Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

3 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Ha, I never know how to pronounce "Laythe" either, but I usually say lathe.

Hi Hanson looks like you're a new reader, glad to have you! Please edit your post to put the quotes comics pages in a spoiler tag if you don't mind: otherwise the repeated and out of order pages mess up the flow of comics as people go through the thread. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Why?

You may be too young to remember 'Clippy', Microsoft's oh so rarely helpful assistant in Microsoft Office. I'll not waste more of Kuzzter's space here, but just Google Clippy and you'll soon learn how pretty much universally reviled it was.  

39 minutes ago, Torgo said:

You may be too young to remember 'Clippy', Microsoft's oh so rarely helpful assistant in Microsoft Office. I'll not waste more of Kuzzter's space here, but just Google Clippy and you'll soon learn how pretty much universally reviled it was.  

Ah yes... Clippy... and once we'be learned all about Windows circa the Milennium, maybe there will be time for that thing with the quoted comics pages and the spoiler tags...

21 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Ah yes... Clippy... and once we'be learned all about Windows circa the Milennium, maybe there will be time for that thing with the quoted comics pages and the spoiler tags...

Sorry, editing now...

3 hours ago, Lithobrake said:

I reread them regularly.

lol

I have to admit... me too... but hey here's something to read for the first time!

We4NlI5.jpg

96B5rnu.jpg

Chapeau! Very elegant, indeed. I don't think Kenlie would have gone through with it, but as long as the Kerbulans think he would have... I wonder if he already has a plan how to deal with the others. How many Kerbulan moves can he foresee?

I usually devour books, so seeing this story unfold ever so slowly is a painful delight. MOAR? Pretty please?

16 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Wait, I don't get it. Kenlie makes it sound like the Kerbulan would be upset if he's in perfect health but his companion is crippled. Why? They don't have any concept of friendship right?

I'll stay (mostly) dead and let the readers analyze this, but yes @greenTurtle1134 you make an excellent point. I think most would agree this probably wouldn't have worked for any other Kerbulans we've met.

So, why did it work on these two? Kerbulans have consistently been motivated by exactly one thing: fear. Fear of the agonizer, fear of assassination--I think it was Kenlie who observed that the more murdery a Kerbulans was, the more afraid they were of meeting someone even more murdery. 

Kurt and Melgee are extremely murdery, and extremely identical. Often we don't know where the mind of one ends and the other begins. They play chess by taking turns being White and playing the Fool's Mate over and over. And Kenlie's threat was to change just one of them, horribly and permanently. He didn't even say which one he'd shoot. 

I'll say no more here, but Kenlie might express some thoughts later in his personal log :)

Edited by Kuzzter
Lol murdery autocorrects to 'nursery'

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

So, why did it work on these two? Kerbulans have consistently been motivated by exactly one thing: fear. Fear of the agonizer, fear of assassination--I think it was Kenlie who observed that the more murdery a Kerbulans was, the more afraid they were of meeting someone even more murdery.

Quick thought.... These two were motivated by fear... but it may have even worked with the really murdery Kerbulans as well, only in reverse... The truly psychotic among them probably couldn't bear the thought of being the one NOT crippled in battle... so to speak... and still give up, rather than be the one to return home with no "glorious" battle scars...  I think it was a very smart threat on Kenlie's part....... 

Edited by Just Jim

I took it to mean that, in spite of everything, the two of them are good friends. Neither of them could imagine seeing the other seriously and permanently injured. 

They are evil, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of them having feelings. 

Now what will Kerbfleet do with their captives? Shave them? 

So, what have we learned here? Sure, there's no harm to either Kerbulan now, but the Kerbals have crossed their Rubicon. The cat is out of the bag; they know how to hurt people intentionally- even if they haven't done it yet. The way Kenlie talks about harming Kurt and Not-Kurt is psychopathic, even a bit sadistic. He is a changed man from the one we knew.

The world will never be the same.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, Dman979 said:

So, what have we learned here? Sure, there's no harm to either Kerbulan now, but the Kerbals have crossed their Rubicon. The cat is out of the bag; they know how to hurt people intentionally- even if they haven't done it yet. The way Kenlie talks about harming Kurt and Not-Kurt is psychopathic, even a bit sadistic. He is a changed man from the one we knew.

He can indeed dance, and dance well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 11:45 PM, Dman979 said:

It sounds sadistic, but that doesn't mean he's a sadist. he's just learned how to deal with them. 

1 minute ago, Thedrelle said:

It sounds sadistic, but that doesn't mean he's a sadist. he's just learned how to deal with them. 

In the language of death, dismemberment, and destruction. Does that sound like a cute and cuddly Kerbal, or a conniving and combative Kerbulan?