Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

I do not wanna ruin people axpettation, so I put all my thoughts (but they are pretty obvious at least for me):

IT'S A TRAP!!!

... Kerbulans recovered their attacker cockpit...
... "evil" Kenlie was "recluded" there...
... now it pops a "strange rescue" there on Laythe.
Now we know what the mission to Kerbin, by "the
unmentionable Kerbulan", was meant: to "hack" KSP system with the mission to place "a spy" aboard Intrepid.

DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER :cool:

Edited by Araym

7 minutes ago, SR said:

Does Kenlie realise its a trap? Is he trying to save the crew?

Or does he really want to fly a rescue mission?

He has to be aware that this is a scheme by the Kerbulans. He knew that they recovered the pod and that Kenlie Kermulan was put inside it to reveal more about the Kerbal's plans - until he lost consciousness.

Maybe he believes that his alter ego is still in there, although I'd be surprised if the Evil Spy Boss would risk losing her source of information.

I wonder what message he left on that k-pad...

20 minutes ago, SR said:

Does Kenlie realise its a trap? Is he trying to save the crew? Or does he really want to fly a rescue mission?

I dunno, could be either. Myself, I like to call up a friend and tell them "This is it--it's time!" whenever I'm about to do something totally routine. It keeps them guessing.

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

And forgot his K-pad? :0.0:

Oh, that wacky Kenlie! Calling the lab instead of flight control, leaving his k-pad behind... unlocked... with a sharp corner sticking up where no one could possibly miss it... oh, he's just FULL of lols! 

12 minutes ago, Chemp said:

I wonder what message he left on that k-pad...

Undoubtedly just some random stuff, I needed to pad out the rest of the chapter because nothing else interesting is going to happen. Serves me right for accepting that totally legit rescue mission!

52 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Undoubtedly just some random stuff, I needed to pad out the rest of the chapter because nothing else interesting is going to happen. Serves me right for accepting that totally legit rescue mission!

I see what you did there. :wink:

I'll just leave that there 'k?

What will Kenlie do?
Brave self-sacrifice or daring plan?  Both?

What will Lisa do?
Clever ploy or spill the beans to Val?

They'll both probably do something else entirely.

Thanks Kuzzter!  Wonderful building of anticipation.

Happy Concerned Worried Nervous  landings! 

My idea on what will happen:

the kerbulans find Kenile, both the evil and good Keniles hatch a plan to escape the kerbulan ship, and they write a story about it called "Kerbulan One- A Kerbfleet Story"

ahh no...but that would be strange...

though i do have a strong felling about the part up to the Rouge One reference...

Spoiler

after they escape from the ship, they run out of RCS, and during the while, the Intrepid prepares to fire up to leave even though they knew Kenile left, how about the kerbulans take off the tracker and the Intrepid thinks that the gumdrop crashed, so they are all sad, and are preparing to leave. when they found the Kpad, they read all of the story, and are shocked at what Kenile was writing yadda yadda yadda...and Lisa fills in on the stuff that happened, and so did Wherner a bit, and the Kerbulan leader gets into the head like thing, and the Kerbulan head ship heads to the Intrepid, and there might be a final battle, and the kerbulans are defeated, E&G Kenile both are trying to get back to the Intrepid, and the contract rescue system comes into play, E&G Kenile put up tens of millions of funds, and we all know mort wont pass up tens of millions of funds, so they accept the contract, so they get lots of funds for another intrepid style mission, but when they get there, they find only E&G Keniles, which is good, but mort wanted much more funds, so he's mad...

thats my endgame story, very predictable

Spoiler so people who dont want to see predictions for the story, i care about you!

4 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Happy Concerned Worried Nervous  landings! 

Whoa.  Whoa.

Whoa.

Hold it.

Kenlie has said his 'I am, and always will be, your friend' to the crew, is off to face the Big Bad on his own, has seriously damaged Lisa's calm (and Tedus's S), and for all I know may have decided to bask in the glow of the reactor on his way to the Gumdrop just for trope thoroughness, and now you decide to start dropping adjectives off of your catchphrase?

This won't do at all.

Edited by Zhetaan

On 12/20/2016 at 0:01 PM, Kuzzter said:

Spoiler

nno6fnG.png

So you're telling me that Apple's patent on rounded corners is valid on Kerbin, but not here? Sorry, but that just seems wrong. I cannot abide this fiction, and I'll no longer be reading the comic.

Edited by Dman979
Calmer now.

14 hours ago, Dman979 said:

So you're telling me that Apple's patent on rounded corners is valid on Kerbin, but not here? Sorry, but that just seems wrong. 

I shouldn't have to tell you, Counselor, that a patent doesn't actually  give anyone the right to practice an invention; rather it enjoins anyone who is not the patent holder from practicing it. Moreover, isn't it more likely that we're talking about a design patent on the corners rather than a utility patent? Remember, you can only infringe on a design patent if your design is close enough to confuse a "reasonable" consumer. 

Rather than resort to misunderstandings of IP law, I'd suggest you seek a more plausible explanation--maybe it's just a lot easier for the author to make squarish objects in Powerpoint than round ones...and/or that kerbals' tushies are as sensitive as their heads are indestructible. :) 

15 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I shouldn't have to tell you, Counselor, that a patent doesn't actually  give anyone the right to practice an invention; rather it enjoins anyone who is not the patent holder from practicing it. Moreover, isn't it more likely that we're talking about a design patent on the corners rather than a utility patent? Remember, you can only infringe on a design patent if your design is close enough to confuse a "reasonable" consumer. 

Rather than resort to misunderstandings of IP law, I'd suggest you seek a more plausible explanation--maybe it's just a lot easier for the author to make squarish objects in Powerpoint than round ones...and/or that kerbals' tushies are as sensitive as their heads are indestructible. :) 

Well damn. You win the internet today. I can think of assorted tech forums where that first paragraph should be permanently emplaced as a banner ad, preferably with <blink> tags around it. It would save so many pointless arguments and outbursts of nerd rage.

I would also add that patents are territorial so the question is moot unless Apple have managed to obtain patent rights on Kerbin. Which seems unlikely. :) But anyway, I get enough of this in my day job - please can we return to our regular scheduled tales of derring-do and villainy?

Edited by KSK

35 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

maybe it's just a lot easier for the author to make squarish objects in Powerpoint than round ones...and/or that kerbals' tushies are as sensitive as their heads are indestructible. :) 

[edited by adsii1970 for content I want to comment on]

This actually made me laugh... would love to see you work that into the story!

55 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hey! First things first--Emiko Station is the Forum Thread of the Year! Get over there NOW and show Jim some love!

As for me, I guess I'll just have to work a little harder--there's always 2017, right? :D 

Thanks.... and you have my vote for 2017!
Truth is, you are, by far, the biggest reason why I started writing Emiko, and do it as something more than just a mission report.  :)

Now, back on topic, I really like the new cheksboard, and I love that you included a "Qween Gambit".  But that's such a controversial move.... hmmm..... 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

As for me, I guess I'll just have to work a little harder--there's always 2017, right? :D 

Yes, and at the rate this story is going, you might be almost ready to burn for Kerbin then. :D

I suppose that now I have to go back and remember to link this "pod rescuing" to the Cheks game. That must be the reason why Evil Bob (Bill? I get confuzzled.) had them save the pod.

Do the Kermulans play Cheks? Don't touch that dial!