Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

3 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Perhaps "cohabitant" is a more appropriate term. 

That'll do. And, with apologies for instigating this detour, lets get back to the story before mods, or author, begin to frown in our direction.

Edited by KSK

30 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Fascinating... next you'll be wondering what that thing is in Nichelle's ear... or why Walter can't pronounce "vessel" correctly.

So why isn't the captain 'entertaining' that green alien girl? Or would the alien girls be really be human colored here?

42 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Fascinating... next you'll be wondering what that thing is in Nichelle's ear... or why Walter can't pronounce "vessel" correctly.

It's worse than that - it's irony, Jim.

31 minutes ago, Torgo said:

So why isn't the captain 'entertaining' that green alien girl? Or would the alien girls be really be human colored here?

I do believe that was covered in General Order 35.

Leonard can get a very good idea of where they are in that orbit by looking at the last recorded transmission from Micarooni. Because (as you've mentioned before) the speed of plot can be constrained by orbital mechanics, once he figures out the best launching orbit he can calculate how long it took to get there from Micarooni, and then the position on the optimal orbit, roughly speaking.

Speaking of orbits, it was supposed to take the Intrepid about 180 minutes to get to Kenlie. It's been 150, almost exactly. Don't you think it might be time to go back to Laythe soon?

59 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Speaking of orbits, it was supposed to take the Intrepid about 180 minutes to get to Kenlie. It's been 150, almost exactly. Don't you think it might be time to go back to Laythe soon?

Yes it is...very interesting technical challenge, by the way, to have things going on in so multiple locations concurrently and to have to do them "on the clock". Am very glad there's no limit on the number of quicksaves.

Well, I recreated those "range safety" devices, @Kuzzter came up with. At high relative velocities, I encountered some aerodynamic instabilities, with the devices flipping basically everywhere but the direction you intend them to... Also on a strictly scientific mission, the tier 2 VAB just laughed at their impact (at about 240m/s).

I hence, came up with a device, that does cost 4 times the amount of funds, uses a rapier engine, has a ton of dV, and thanks to some oxidizer, can get into space. For the sake of aerodynamic stbility, I added some wings, canards and fins. Flying it into the VAB (which, collapsed under the impact at 140 m/s), I realized, I just reinvented the Cruise Missile...which is when I realized, it actually was an intercontinental Cruise Missile...

Edited by something

36 minutes ago, something said:

Well, I recreated those "range safety" devices, @Kuzzter came up with. At high relative velocities, I encountered some aerodynamic instabilities, with the devices flipping basically everywhere but the direction you intend them to... Also on a strictly scientific mission, the tier 2 VAB just laughed at their impact (at about 240m/s).

I hence, came up with a device, that does cost 4 times the amount of funds, uses a rapier engine, has a ton of dV, and thanks to some oxidizer, can get into space. For the sake of aerodynamic stbility, I added some wings, canards and fins. Flying it into the VAB (which, collapsed under the impact at 140 m/s), I realized, I just reinvented the Cruise Missile...which is when I realized, it actually was an intercontinental Cruise Missile...

Great! Now fly them at each other, and see what happens! If you miss, I'm sure that TAC-SD will help.

1 hour ago, something said:

Our results appear to confirm each other.  When I added four basic fins to each range safety device, it was not maneuverable enough to change direction.  The stock "hold target" guidance doesn't seem like it could intercept a cruise missile head-on either, it would have to chase it.

EDIT:

When I launched both of them at the VAB (at ~100m/s) at the same time they could take it down some of the time.

EDIT2:

Now they're never destroying the VAB, no matter what I do. :/

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

29 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Our results appear to confirm each other.  When I added four basic fins to each range safety device, it was not maneuverable enough to change direction.  The stock "hold target" guidance doesn't seem like it could intercept a cruise missile head-on either, it would have to chase it.

Yes, I had the same impression. I also added tailfins and it made the RSD basically unusable in terms of maneuverability which is basically the reason I came up with a Cruise Missile in the end, when trying to improve the RSD. One major point of concern was the low top speed. A rapier engine is basically able to propel a fuel tank at 900-1400m/s which is way too much for the RSD.

29 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

EDIT:

When I launched both of them at the VAB (at ~100m/s) at the same time they could take it down some of the time.

EDIT2:

Now they're never destroying the VAB, no matter what I do. :/

I never launched two RSDs at the same time, so I have no idea whether a double impact could destroy the VAB. I single impact seemed to be incapable.

Well, finally, I launched the RSD at my Cruise Missile. A direct hit (which is hard enough to score), is able to disassemble the cruise missile, however, larger fragments remained... If it's only the top (2-3) tanks which are filled, that might enhance the aerodynamic stability of the device, but I assume, the range will be limited even further...