Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

34 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I did not expect to have Val know anything at all about the Kerbulans until... well, let's just say there were going to be sound effects in that panel. But as the story developed, I realized it had to go this way. Gene Kerman is no dummy, and neither is she.

@Kuzzter, it was great to see this part of the story come together. Your choices of pictures was absolutely spot on - well done! As for Gene informing Val, well you're the one who can see the future, and your story-telling decisions have worked out rather nicely so far. The only thing that confuses me a little is that I was under the impression that communication with Intrepid was down. How is the email supposed to get to Val? Or will it wait on the server until they are able to establish comms?

One other thing, you absolutely have to register kerbfleet.org. It's available, too.

29 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

are there more Kerbulans with views similar to Wernher?

If so, it'd go a long way toward explaining where all those mysteriously stranded Kerbals in need of rescue are coming from.

15 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Kerbulans, more like dumb-ulans, am I right?

*Determination.

This is actually pretty canon.  In the Star Trek Enterprise episode(s) In a Mirror Darkly (the only good Enterprise episodes... IMO), the 22nd century ISS Enterprise steals a 23rd century Constitution class Enterprise from the Tholiens, which apparently acquired it from a century in the future.  

I'm not going to spoil the ending, because it's actually quite good, and worth watching if you can find it. 
But long story short, it definitely shows the Mirror baddies stealing technology instead of doing it the hard way, and my guess is it happened a lot.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

On a more serious note, one question that I haven't seen asked: are there more Kerbulans with views similar to Wernher?

I suppose it's possible--we have to hope there aren't any Kerbals with views similar to the evil Wernher doppleganger killed in that strudel explosion! I considered showing you the newspaper headline following that accident: "PASTRY DISASTER! "NOTHING LEFT BUT HIS CHIN" SAY WITNESSES!"

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

@Kuzzter, it was great to see this part of the story come together. Your choices of pictures was absolutely spot on - well done! As for Gene informing Val, well you're the one who can see the future, and your story-telling decisions have worked out rather nicely so far. The only thing that confuses me a little is that I was under the impression that communication with Intrepid was down. 

Thank you! The Intrepid can receive but not transmit; we've seen panels with Gene speaking to the crew over the radio. Gene knows this, so we can suppose he wouldn't send the kmail if he didn't think they would get it. 

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

Wait a minute, this means that both Gene and Valentina are now in on Kenlie Kerman's story, right!? OH NOPE!

Nope, indeed! They've only heard Wernher's story, which comes from his real experiences and carries no metaphysical consequeces (as far as we know!) 

43 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Kerbulans, more like dumb-ulans, am I right?

Like @Just Jim mentioned, the Trek Mirror baddies are for the most part pretty dumb, and I'm enjoying that source material immensely. :D 

Yet another dose of amazing, have I ever mentioned I love backstory? Learning what happened up to then, it doesn't always fit in the story but I'm the sort of person who can read a mocumentary thesis on a fictional world. Come to think of it, when writing I have to keep myself from just writing about the story rather than actually writing it. As for the story kind of going it's own way, I've not problem with it, actually it's kind of a sign you really do understand the characters and are able to let them be themselves and in the long run, it works out for the best, being a natural continuation.

On another note, this explains why Wherner makes such constant references to strudel, an incident like that is probably going to stick in your mind. In fact it reminds me from a (rather infamous scene) from a rather Kerbal TV show (the line "am I missing an eyebrow?" in particular). Come to think of it, do the Kerbals have an equivalent? perhaps one of the crew watches such if they do. Not trying to make a serious suggestion, just somewhat random thinking.

Oh, in case I was a tad too vague, this was the show I had in mind.

Anyway, looking forward to the next instalment as this "chess game" gets into swing.

Edited by AkuAerospace
Removed "sign off"

16 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

On a more serious note, one question that I haven't seen asked: are there more Kerbulans with views similar to Wernher?

From the looks of it, the Alliance and the late Supreme Leader Shirley, while more warlike than Kerbals, are still far more peaceful than the modern Kerbulan Empire.

I like all this discussion. I can't understand why you're all skipping oversomething potentially very important: "Not without outside help"

If that's true, then like Gene said, how are they in space?

If it's false, then they have a second homegrown Wernher.

Either way, that means that there's someone at least as good as Wernher running around over there! For now, I'm going to call him Dr. Strangelove.

Just now, Dman979 said:

I like all this discussion. I can't understand why you're all skipping over something potentially very important: "Not without outside help"

I know, I know! And I even put outside help in italics! 

In their defense I think most readers still running lines through Google Translate to figure out stuff like "Mein Bart!"

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

I know, I know! And I even put outside help in italics! 

In their defense I think most readers still running lines through Google Translate to figure out stuff like "Mein Bart!"

You know, I know more Japanese than German (thank you high school) but I find my guesses are spot on :) No Google Translate here!!!

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I've posted a link to the complete Zwischenspiel on the front page, and also started a thread to release the various crafts used in it. Der Fliegenstrudel is up now; I'll also post the W-2 Vengeance missile, the KE-262 Stormbird, and Gene's K-86 Sabber.

Funny, Sabber is in german expression for Dribble, Drool...  Don`t tell me this was intended... :D

Edited by Mikki
Spell, OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGG!!!

Just now, Mikki said:

Funny, Sabber is in german expression for Dribble, Drool...  Don`t tell me this was intendet... :D

It was not! I only wanted a cutesy version of Sabre!  I doubt Gene's knowledge of Deutschekerb goes that deep, but of course Wernher would definitely get it :)

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

It was not! I only wanted a cutesy version of Sabre!  I doubt Gene's knowledge of Deutschekerb goes that deep, but of course Wernher would definitely get it :)

As one reader to another, I think it was definitely an intentional reference on the part of the late author. :wink:

36 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

As one reader to another, I think it was definitely an intentional reference on the part of the late author. :wink:

Ah, but the so-called dead so-called author never made that reference! Canonically, it is only referred to as a "jet". The Sabber designation appears only in the comments of a (living!) reader. :P 

Just now, Kuzzter said:

Ah, but the so-called dead so-called author never made that reference! Canonically, it is only referred to as a "jet". The Sabber designation appears only in the comments of a (living!) reader. :P 

Touchie. Touchie.

Did anyone watch the Smothers Brothers? Becuase this is one off their great routines.

On 6/15/2016 at 0:16 PM, Kuzzter said:

Wouldn't the Kerbal version of Sabre be "Rapier?" Despite both being swords...

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CR-7_R.A.P.I.E.R._Engine

vs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine)

:P

3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Wouldn't the Kerbal version of Sabre be "Rapier?" Despite both being swords...

I name things how I name things. Calling any Kerbin Federation or Kerbfleet craft by the same name as an Earth weapon isn't exactly in line with the story I'm telling.

Just now, Kuzzter said:

I name things how I name things. Calling any Kerbin Federation or Kerbfleet craft by the same name as an Earth weapon isn't exactly in line with the story I'm telling.

That's fine. It would be super weird for your adorable pacifist Kerbals to have a vessel named after a weapon. :P