Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

Nimzo is getting thrown into the deep end with this one!

I'm sure he'll come out swimmingly.

Manually adjusting thrust to counteract unbalanced mass is very Kerbal (and, if I may say so, very Kuzzter!).  :D

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious landings!

Ah, I'm worried about what's going to go down around this moon. What will get the Intrepid first, the kraken ghost invisible thing that I definitely don't know nothing about, or the Kerbulans.

Godspeed, crew!

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

As I post this, @Nimzo Kerman is next to me flying planes with too many engines at very low altitudes.

I would recommend @keptin's Basic Aircraft Design and Scott Manley's Basic Aerodynamic Video if you want to change this fact.

There's a Kuzzter Kerman in his 1.2 save (dressed as a fleet Admiral, of course!),

So, I'm guessing that's not a random spawn... did you teach him the art of persistence editing, or did he find the new Kerbal Creator or what? Uniform from Texture Replacer, I guess.

There's a Kuzzter Kerman in his 1.2 save (dressed as a fleet Admiral, of course!), who I am informed will meet a horrible fate if anything happens to Enzin Nimzo on Bop. Well, we'll just have to see about that :wink:

Well, yeah, Nimzo is safe now. Then again, he always was - the redshirt trope is so well known that @Kuzzter will near certainly subvert it.

16 hours ago, DMSP said:

Ah, I'm worried about what's going to go down around this moon. What will get the Intrepid first, the kraken ghost invisible thing that I definitely don't know nothing about, or the Kerbulans.

Godspeed, crew!

Well, I doubt that the kerbulans will attack while some of the crew aren't in the Intrepid, and there isn't a plausible cause for the destruction of the Intrepid.  The Kerbulans don't want anyone to know about them.

I wonder how fast Krakens move?  If they are limited by orbital mechanics and delta-v, it couldn't get to the Intrepid much before the Kerbulans, but if it moves at the speed of plot...

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I wonder how fast Krakens move?  If they are limited by orbital mechanics and delta-v, it couldn't get to the Intrepid much before the Kerbulans, but if it moves at the speed of plot...

Which keeps thickening...
Does anybody know where the Kermulan carrier is? Is it orbiting Jool? Laythe? Dres, so no one can find it?

22 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Manually adjusting thrust to counteract unbalanced mass is very Kerbal (and, if I may say so, very Kuzzter!).  :D

You know, I hadn't realized how often I do this...starting with the launch of Hummlebee on Orange Knight...continuing through several unbalanced (literally and figuratively) attempts at various landers up to the launch of Intrepid herself, the landings on Minmus and on Pol... so yeah, guilty as charged :) 

18 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

So, I'm guessing that's not a random spawn... did you teach him the art of persistence editing, or did he find the new Kerbal Creator or what? Uniform from Texture Replacer, I guess.

Yeah, he did find the new Creator, and of course he's using Texture Replacer just like me. @Nimzo Kerman routinely copies stuff out of my folders and uses them in his own games. Even before 1.2 Kerbal Creator, he would ask me to copy his favorite Kerbfleet personnel into his .sfs :) 

4 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

If they are limited by orbital mechanics and delta-v, it couldn't get to the Intrepid much before the Kerbulans, but if it moves at the speed of plot...

Well of course, where do you think 'kraken drive' comes from? And that's the speed at which everything moves in the Kuzzterverse, as you well know :) 

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Does anybody know where the Kermulan carrier is? Is it orbiting Jool? Laythe? Dres, so no one can find it?

The Kerbulan vessel ISS Despair (which is not actually a carrier--no way I was going through all of that a second time!) is in Jool orbit, a bit beyond Pol. It, and the surviving ships of the fighter squadron, have exactly enough fuel to get exactly where I want them at exactly the right point in the story for them to get there. :) 

19 minutes ago, something said:

Seismic activity on Bop? Kraken's not dead yet, it seems...  Sounds like an interesting episode to come...

Ah, you must have seen this :)

Dilsby doesn't have to process screenshots and make fancy images like I do, so his Twitter tends to be a little bit ahead of the comic :) 

Getting there...

webui1e.png

B2J7aNI.png

2prtF9O.png

MLhmF1B.png

Yeah, so originally Sarge was going to do all the rover driving...but then I remembered how much Jeb wanted to try it out on Pol, and never got to. Seeing as he's the ranking officer on the ground, and seeing as, well, he's Jeb, looks like Sarge gets to have a KBR or two in the Qwammer cockpit while Jeb and Nizmo explore the landscape.

Hm, I wonder if this reminds @Nimzo Kerman of that one time he rode in a go-kart with me? :D  

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Hm, I wonder if this reminds @Nimzo Kerman of that one time he rode in a go-kart with me? 

Well, was he begging you to slow down the whole time?

Bill's plan worked beautifully.  I wonder if it will go as smoothly bringing everything back up again?  I suppose it depends whether someone (or something) is waiting for them upon ascent.  In any case, I suspect the surface has more in store before we get to that.

Happy landings!

Nimzo being afraid in that rover? What's the acceleration of that vehicle on the surface of Bop? I doubt it's exceeding accelerations of usual rockets which Nimzo should be used to ...

Oh, and does it technically qualify as a rover, if it is airborne? I mean in that case, it should qualify as a space craft which certainly has to follow certain orders which are entirely different from those for rovers?

Edited by something

22 minutes ago, something said:

Nimzo being afraid in that rover? What's the acceleration of that vehicle on the surface of Bop? I doubt it's exceeding accelerations of usual rockets which Nimzo should be used to ...

Oh, and does it technically qualify as a rover, if it is airborne? I mean in that case, it should qualify as a space craft which certainly has to follow certain orders which are entirely different from those for rovers?

knowing jeb I'm certain its airborne most of the time. also I doubt jeb would behave differently based on a technicality.

10 hours ago, something said:

Nimzo being afraid in that rover? What's the acceleration of that vehicle on the surface of Bop? I doubt it's exceeding accelerations of usual rockets which Nimzo should be used to

This is Jebediah Kerman driving...

13 hours ago, insert_name said:

knowing jeb I'm certain its airborne most of the time. 

Yes it is, and without expending any monopropellant :) Bop is actually quite a fun place to drive. Gravity is high enough that bumps don't send the car too far into space, but low enough that the rover can charge up a 25 degree slope without much trouble 

14 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Well, was he begging you to slow down the whole time?

Yeah, he wasn't big enough yet to drive his own so he got in a two-seater with me. Best part was when his hat flew off as I swerved to avoid a collision on one lap, then scooped it up off the track on the next without slowing down...though the screaming and crying was a bit distracting.

14 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I have a feeling you'll look back on this moment when he's 16 and see that the roles have reversed. :wink:

OMG you're right...I'm doomed...expect this old man to do some screaming and crying in a few years!

I finally caught up again (I've been unable to access this for a while), good job as usual.

My favourite bit would hapless Nimzo's trip to the surface (I wouldn't worry about his head the way he landed, Kerbals have pretty tough skulls in my experience)

<random_thought>Maybe that's where the vital organs are (aside from the brain), it might explain the head-body ratio </random_thought>

Also, quite a plot twist, the Kraken attack and what happened to the pilot (forgot his name at the moment), I know there have been Kerbulan casualties before but ... yikes. What I'm wondering is why he's outside the cockpit, I think the only way is for you to EVA but was that a RP thing (in story he was ejected by damage/the attack) or did he actually jump out (in Universe)?

Congratulations as usual.

Aku

On 11/1/2016 at 9:31 AM, waterlubber said:

I had no idea TOS had that many puns, and am convinced that kerbals are at least part tribble if they can sustain a population like that with me launching as many rockets as I do.

This is not a bad theory--it's consistent with observation, at least. And another thing, I bet if Klingons ever met Kerbals, they'd have the same reaction they do to tribbles. (terror!)

On 11/1/2016 at 1:30 PM, AkuAerospace said:

I know there have been Kerbulan casualties before but ... yikes. What I'm wondering is why he's outside the cockpit, I think the only way is for you to EVA but was that a RP thing (in story he was ejected by damage/the attack) or did he actually jump out (in Universe)?

Fun fact, whenever anyone exits a cockpit in my save they are not wearing an EVA suit or helmet. I have to click on them and toggle the EVA suit, which I always do before taking pictures (except this time :) ) This is because I've tweaked Texture Replacer to consider every body in the system as having a breathable atmosphere, including the sun. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get those shots of the crew in "pressurized" areas of the ship such as the bridge. But in-comic, yeah they do need suits to survive in vacuum and Wehrford Kermulan would likely not have jumped out without at least reaching for his helmet. It's not clear whether he was pulled out the hatch or simply passed/clipped through the bulkhead walls...I suppose with the Kraken, either is possible :) 

ETA: Wouldn't it be a cool mod to TR if you could always exit the ship in an IVA suit--but if you did so in non-breathable atmosphere it would, (1) ragdoll the Kerbal, and (2) change the head texture to put Xs in the eyeballs :D 

Edited by Kuzzter