Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

I love the way you worked that science report into the story.

On the wheel blowout front, my experience seems to indicate that blowouts are much less common in 1.2.  It's a good thing Bill can edit the persistence file.  His job might be at risk otherwise.  :)

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk
Oh. And congratulations on your milestones! These threads deserve it.

My idea (i can have an opinion yay!):

the kerbulan ship that recently blew up's debris fell down from the skies (is it still called the sky if there isn't an atmosphere?) and crashed into the surface of bop, making it feel like a big explosion to bop due to it being a massive cloud of debris constantly raining down for 5 minutes(?) and (compleatly theoretical) bop's material made it "ring" for  a quite a bit of time like one of the Apollo missions porpusely crashed their landing module into the surface of the moon and it kept ringing for about a hour, maybe bop is like that, but SUPERSOMETHINGIZED!

this has been a completely and utterly stupid comment on bop by StupidAndy 

And I am right. We're going to the Kraken, or at least where it's located. It may or may not have landed, and it may or may not be alive, because of some... pointy rocket-propelled sticks fired at it.

Bop goes the Kraken! (Sung to the tune of Pop goes the Weasel)

All around each moon of Jool
Suspense just isn't lack'n
I want an Odyssey ending that's cool
Bop goes the Kraken!

We're running out of ore in this spot
The ISRU is frackin'
All the engineers' nerves are quite shot
Bop goes the Kraken!

Jeb and Kenlie and Nimzo and Val
Their cooking skills are lack'n'
In a contrast quite sharp with Clauselle
Bop goes the Kraken!

I don't want to wait very long
Kuzzter the next page is make'n'
And we've reached the end of this song
Bop goes the Kraken!

I know I reached a little on a few of the rhymes, but you know how many words actually rhyme with "kraken?" None!

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I suppose with the Kraken, either is possible :) 

You messed up! Lemme highlight the important part:

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I suppose with the Kraken, either is possible :) 

@Kuzzter has confirmed it was the Kraken! I call word of god!

3 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I don't want to wait very long
Kuzzter the next page is make'n'
And we've reached the end of this song
Bop goes the Kraken!

Brilliant... repliked.

Edited by greenTurtle1134
Add the @

1 minute ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

You messed up! Lemme highlight the important part:

@Kuzzter has confirmed it was the Kraken! I call word of god!

Oh. I wasn't aware there was any doubt about what happened to Wehrford. I even called it by name, on the page--just look at the sound effect when it ripped his ship apart :wink: 

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Oh. I wasn't aware there was any doubt about what happened to Wehrford. I even called it by name, on the page--just look at the sound effect when it ripped his ship apart :wink: 

Well, there was a bit of speculation a while ago, and over analysis is the name of the game following the Kerbulus hints as far back as Duna, Ore Bust, so I decided to just call it...

10 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

And I am right. We're going to the Kraken, or at least where it's located. It may or may not have landed, and it may or may not be alive, because of some... pointy rocket-propelled sticks fired at it.

Yup. (And brilliant song BTW!)

Honestly I wasn't going to have Kerbfleet go there at all, I liked leaving it in mystery. But then when I saw the text in some of the science reports from the surface, I decided (especially after that precipitous departure from Vall) that there were just too many clues for Our Heroes to ignore.

4 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

@Kuzzter has confirmed it was the Kraken! I call word of god!

And I call dead author.

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

the kerbulan ship that recently blew up's debris fell down from the skies (is it still called the sky if there isn't an atmosphere?) and crashed into the surface of bop, making it feel like a big explosion to bop due to it being a massive cloud of debris constantly raining down for 5 minutes(?) and (compleatly theoretical) bop's material made it "ring" for  a quite a bit of time like one of the Apollo missions porpusely crashed their landing module into the surface of the moon and it kept ringing for about a hour, maybe bop is like that, but SUPERSOMETHINGIZED!

It's certainly an idea. Not the idea I had in mind, but it's not wrong, yet.

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

this has been a completely and utterly stupid comment

Absolutely not. This part is very wrong.

And welcome aboard!

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

And I call dead author.

Are seances allowed on the forums? Necromancy certainly is frowned upon. I guess someone needs to gin up a KIS Ouija board so we can find out. 

The seismometer in KSP is sort of an accelerometer. Its output is an acceleration rather than a movement or amplitude of some sort...

Due to the way Jeb was driving the readings they took can't go beyond a SNR of 0.5...which means Kerbals have some serious noise cancellation algorithms.

Edited by something

1 minute ago, something said:

[something]

Hey, here's a fun experiment. First, get in a nice fast jet. Don't forget your accelerometer!  Measure the Gs you endure when it takes off, lands and banks. Have someone monitor your breathing rate and blood pressure. Wheee! Thrilling!

Next, sit backwards on a go-kart and do the same while an expert driver with the impulse control of a twelve-year-old takes you airborne over wildly uneven terrain in a misguided attempt to find out exactly what that kart can and cannot do. 

If, after experiment #2, you have not accidentally swallowed the accelerometer and/or had some sort of nervous breakdown, then by all means come back here and post about how Nimzo should have reacted. :) 

21 minutes ago, insert_name said:

So does this title mean that pol is secretly some planet killing superweapon?

The title can be positively identified as a reference to Star Wars, where the first proton torpedo launched at the Death Star 1 misses the exhaust port and "just impacted the surface" instead of going down the hole to the handwavium reactor core and setting off a massive explosion and the denouncement of the movie.

In the comic, it appears to correspond to both Nimzo and the supposedly unknown (many of us have ideas by now) object impacting the surface of Bop. The other guy in the rover (I forgot Sarge or Jeb) uses this phrasing to refer to the second event.

1 hour ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

The title can be positively identified as a reference to Star Wars, where the first proton torpedo launched at the Death Star

Therefore, Bop is the Death Star and, thus, a planet killing superweapon.

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

On map view, I can see there's a hole at Bop's north pole... could be some kind of thermal exhaust port, idk.

Bop is the Death Star - confirmed!

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

11 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Therefore, Bop is the Death Star and, thus, a planet killing superweapon.

Bop is the Death Star - confirmed!

You've gotta be kidding me. It means that they're setting up a base at the Mohole to play golf. I can see it now- Kerbfleet's Clubbing Adventure.

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Dman979 said:
On 11/3/2016 at 9:36 PM, StupidAndy said:

It's certainly an idea. Not the idea I had in mind, but it's not wrong, yet.

this has been a completely and utterly stupid comment

Absolutely not. This part is very wrong.

And welcome aboard!

YAY RECOGNITION!

But anyways, Pol Vall Bop 

I suspect you are saving laythe for last?