Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

55 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

I don't think it's due to poor storytelling, 

(psssst...I don't really think it is either) :wink: 

47 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Sorry, dude. All Kerbals look alike, it's so hard to tell who's who!

I know, right? If only there was a way to give them, I dunno, different color uniforms, or unique ways of speaking, or have other characters say their names out loud from time to time.. OK, so let's take apart the last few pages; other graphic novelists can take this as a "master class" in large crew character handling if they like :) 

Here we see the three Kerbals presently aboard Qwammer. There's a cockpit crew portrait in the first panel, which conveniently names Jeb (1). We then see two more Kerbals sitting in the crew compartment. The first one to speak is wearing a red uniform with some sleeve braid so even if he wasn't explicitly named in the 4th panel one might easily assume that's Bill. (2). Who's he speaking to? I thought that since his yellow speech balloon comes so soon after Jeb's there might be some confusion, so I made sure that Bill used his name--Kenlie (3)--right away in the second panel.

Spoiler

rRhS9FE.png

Now me move back to bridge. I didn't think I needed to name Val (4)--if you don't know who the Captin of the Intrepid is, then I'm clearly not doing my job. She asks the "science officer" for a report, who is Bob (5) in your game as well as mine, unless you've killed him. Then we have another possibly ambiguous yellow speech balloon. I don't necessarily expect everyone to recognize an Air Service Kaptin's uniform, so I make sure that the next kerbal to speak calls him Tedus (6). That female science officer, in turn, gets name-checked in the third panel--Lisa (7). And just in case you've been reading all this time and don't know who the male Kerbal in a command uniform with three rank pips is, Melbe (8) uses her crew portrait appearance to call him Mister Dilsby (9)

Spoiler

DCQY8ob.png

It was at this point I realized that we needed to check in with a certain kerbelle and give her some part of the building action, so as the Kerbulan ship claws on we cut to Clauselle (10) down in Main Engineering. No, I don't explicitly name her, but I think the "zut alors!" does that job well enough. And then finally, in the last panel, Melbe name-checks the two other members of the Damage Control team she commands: Nimzo (11) and Sarge (12)

Spoiler

9aNXek5.png

So--twelve crew, in three pages, as the tension builds for a dangerous encounter with the Kerbulans. I explained it like this less to give an answer to the question than to show those interested a little bit about how I work and how I make a plan to manage such necessary information without letting it get in the way of the plot.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, something said:

Gravity Waves are created at the interface of two fluids of whatever kind. This might also extend to aerodynamics and different layers of air (which then cause certain cloud patterns).

Probably meant "gravitational waves," not "gravity waves."  Gravitational waves are waves in space-time.

Edit:  I meant him, and I just noticed you already mentioned the difference in the last paragraph of your post.  I probably shouldn't be posting at 2am.

Edited by Soda Popinski

1 hour ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Um, @Kuzzter, because of the cavalry hat, and the space battle, your aren't by any chance, a kerbalized version of Custer? 

In name only because he was...not a great guy :)  What happened was I wanted to be "buzzter" but that was taken so I "added a k", then noticed the homonym so of course I had to put on the hat :) 

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

What happened was I wanted to be "buzzter" but that was taken so I "added a k", then noticed the homonym so of course I had to put on the hat

Wait, really? I didn't even think of any connection before! I'm kicking myself now, because the ACW is one of my favorite subjects. Doh! :confused:

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

And now Evil looks Good in the eyes. Who will blink first?

Trick question. Neither species has been observed to have eyelids!

Spoiler

jFcWoIL.png

Spoiler

DmXQNPc.png

Spoiler

5hP3e04.png

Well, yep, that's it. Sorry for the abrupt finish, but like Mister Blocko says, this has been going on for far too long. Honestly I haven't really enjoyed writing this comic for, well...I won't say exactly. But don't worry, you might not have ol' Kuzzter to kick around anymore, but there's lots of other great fan fiction on the Forum--and of course there's always the Kerbal Chronicles. :wink: 

So anyway, I don't know half of you as well as I should like, and I like half of you half as well as you deserve, yada yada, bye. :) 

Edited by Kuzzter