Invisible Airborne Launchpad

I_Killed_Jeb

So I was in the midst of an uneventful re-entry with my workhorse shuttle, lining up my initial approach to the runway, when all of a sudden I hear explody noises! I dutifuly hit F3 and lo and behold -

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zfP3oNU.jpg[/IMG]

A magical, invisible, airborne launchpad ripping off my wings! There were other weirdnesses, on this return, gonna chalk it up to some kind of krakening.

[quote name='5thHorseman']Raise your hand if you tried to click "close" to see the actual picture.[/QUOTE]

_o/

I usually get this sort of thing on take off, mostly coupled with the falling through the runway, or spawning above the runway bugs.

IIRC this has something to do with the collider objects of the KSC buildings. For unknown reasons they sometimes freak out. It can even happen to you when you are in orbit above the KSC!

Because there's no reliable way to reproduce this bug it couldn't be fixed yet.

It happens to me very often on my Osx install, in particular at the end of a long play session. With all the practice this bug has given me, I take pride in being able to land my spaceplanes safely with up to 50 percent less airfoils than usual...

F5 before every final approach. Restart if symptoms persist.

[quote name='RogueMason']The most infuriating bug in the game, if you ask me (hell, the most infuriating bug I've ever encountered, period!). I seriously don't know why it's been left for so long, but it [I]NEEDS[/I] fixing ASAP :mad:[/QUOTE]

o/
Ha, I do that all the time. Even if I'm watching someone stream I'm clicking on the screen and trying to rotate the view so I can see what I want. Once or twice while watching streamers I've hit the "M" button on my keyboard to look at the orbit or intercepts, completely forgetting I'm not the one playing .....

I seem to remember a bug like this awhile ago where I had one rocket that would constantly blow up at around 30k on takeoff. F3 would always show something striking the launch pad, weird thing was that all my other rockets never had that problem, it was just that one.

[quote name='Fenris']o/
Ha, I do that all the time. Even if I'm watching someone stream I'm clicking on the screen and trying to rotate the view so I can see what I want. Once or twice while watching streamers I've hit the "M" button on my keyboard to look at the orbit or intercepts, completely forgetting I'm not the one playing .....

I seem to remember a bug like this awhile ago where I had one rocket that would constantly blow up at around 30k on takeoff. F3 would always show something striking the launch pad, weird thing was that all my other rockets never had that problem, it was just that one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes the game gets wonky with individual rockets. One time I had a rocket that crashed the game whenever I loaded it in the editor. It was moderately sized, but not too big. Sometimes the game had a bad habit of just loading said rocket whenever I opened the VAB, crashing immediately.

It's an ancient bug. I've encountered it more than a few times, but overall infrequently. It appears to be something about the way the KSC loads when it comes into physics range. My guess would be some sort of race condition with the creation of the colliders, where they come into existence before all of their parameters (e.g. position and size) have been set correctly.

[quote name='5thHorseman']Raise your hand if you tried to click "close" to see the actual picture.[/QUOTE]

Shaddap!!! I ain't admitting to anything that makes me look like an idiot.... :(

Go away.... people are now looking at me thanks to you.... OK OK OK.... so yeah.... I did. :(

[SIZE=1]leave me alone![/SIZE]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.