[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

10 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

the other alternative would be to use greyscale textures and color them using the "_Color" parameter in EVE, that way you just need 1 texture and it will be possible to change the color of the clouds to whatever anyone wants using a simple MM config

I haven't messed around enough with EVE to know if this change would affect quality, but I don't really see why it would. even better, you may end up saving a lot of RAM doing that since you'll just need 1 channel per cloud texture instead of 4.

Oh I don't change the "looks" of the Gas Giants with EVE, I replace the texture that the scaled space map is using by using Kopernicus. I mean, all the screenshots taken for the post: LINK were done completely without EVE. Whereas previously for the OPM Clouds mod by Eleusis La Arwall that you did the 'Managing' configs for, they used EVE almost exclusively to change the looks of the Gas Giants, this mod only uses EVE to add, pretty much, Alpha map layers to give the surfaces a little movement effect rather than any strong visual features.

Also... using one cloud texture?! Are you mad! :kiss:

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Oh I don't change the "looks" of the Gas Giants with EVE, I replace the texture that the scaled space map is using by using Kopernicus. I mean, all the screenshots taken for the post: LINK were done completely without EVE. Whereas previously for the OPM Clouds mod by Eleusis La Arwall that you did the 'Managing' configs for, they used EVE almost exclusively to change the looks of the Gas Giants, this mod only uses EVE to add, pretty much, Alpha map layers to give the surfaces a little movement effect rather than any strong visual features.

Ah, I see :)

I did not realize that you were changing the scaledversion texture! :)

yeah that will require generating a new texture, like those I'm bundling with my OPMRecolor

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Also... using one cloud texture?! Are you mad! :kiss:

I was not suggesting that :) I was just saying that you don't need an RGBA texture for 1 cloud, you can use a greyscale texture which requires 1/4th the RAM and set the color via the cfg. that way you could use even more cloud textures, as a matter of fact you could use 4x more textures that way, and your mod will take up the same amount of ram it's taking up now :D

EDIT:

@Poodmund now I feel silly :)

I've tried again my new OPMRecolor and it works perfectly with this mod.
sure, the planet textures revert back to be the standard OPM (recolored) textures.

I can fix it by adding recolored versions of your textures to my mod. and since I use the "load on demand" feature of kopernicus that will not result in higher RAM usage ;)

I must have messed up something when I tried doing it before :|

EDIT2:

btw, peeking into your code I noticed this:

%Ring
{
	!texture
	%texture = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/sarnusRing
}

!texture will not delete anything, modulemanager requires an equal sign and some text to work, I usually use it like this:

!texture = DEL

anyways,

%texture = ..........  will override whatever is the "texture" value, so you don't even need the !texture line

;)

EDIT3:

also

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[OPMTilt]:AFTER[OPMTilt]

needs to be

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[SigmaOPMTilt]:AFTER[SigmaOPMTilt]

Edited by Sigma88

Yes I figured as much that it was a pointless line yesterday when I was tinkering a bit more. They have been deleted out for next release (it was pretty much the first line I wrote for this mod when I was trying to change the scaled space texture :blush: ). Also good spot on the Sigma requirement for the MM dependencies.

Anyway, BIG NEWS,  with the update of SVE today, OPM-VO is now fully compatible with KSPRC (assuming you overwrite with bundled file in this mod) and SVE! Hooray! 

Now that is done, I will get back to actually working on the aesthetics of the pack to see what I can do to improve it. A second pass if you will.

4 minutes ago, fallout2077 said:

Does this visual overhaul make the original cloud pack for OPM obsolete or does it complement it?

If you mean OPMClouds, that mod has never been updated to the new EVE.

so basically if you want to use the old EVE then you need to use OPMClouds, if you want to use the new EVE you can use only this one :)

10 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

If you mean OPMClouds, that mod has never been updated to the new EVE.

so basically if you want to use the old EVE then you need to use OPMClouds, if you want to use the new EVE you can use only this one :)

Okily-dokily, will do! After reading the readme file bundled with I figured that OPMClouds was obsolete, and this overhaul was the new king. Thanks, my friend!

Oh, one more thing... I see that KSPRC compatibility has been added, but what about SVE compatibility? I saw in the SVE thread a discussion between Poodmund and NHawk regarding SVE's incompatibility with OPM-VO, and was wondering if that issue has been resolved, or if we only needed to edit the pqs config with the appropriate lines.

Oh crap... disregard! I didn't read the above post. My apologies!

Edited by fallout2077

I am experiencing a bug where EVE's cloud layers disappear whilst in orbit around a body between the ranges of 55-160km. Could anyone else using this visual pack either confirm or deny that they are also experiencing this, please?

25 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I am experiencing a bug where EVE's cloud layers disappear whilst in orbit around a body between the ranges of 55-160km. Could anyone else using this visual pack either confirm or deny that they are also experiencing this, please?

I'll take a look in the next our and let you know ;)

Thanks for that, I have also tested this on a Vanilla install and the same issue is happening so it seems like it is an issue with EVE in its current state: Link

So if anyone is using this mod and experiencing clouds disappearing between the altitudes of 55-160km, don't worry, this is a known issue.

Edited by Poodmund

10 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Thanks for that, I have also tested this on a Vanilla install and the same issue is happening so it seems like it is an issue with EVE in its current state: Link

So if anyone is using this mod and experiencing clouds disappearing between the altitudes of 55-160km, don't worry, this is a known issue.

I may have found where the issue comes up :)

Edited by Sigma88

13 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Why aren't tekto's clouds showing up? Do I need to install scatterer as well?

On 1/15/2016 at 6:29 PM, Poodmund said:

Are the clouds not showing up between a certain altitude range, 55-160km? If so, that's a known issue. If this isn't the case, please make sure you are running at least EVE v1.05-4 or later.

Clouds are only dependent on EVE. If the issue still persists, let me know.

Edited by Poodmund

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Are the clouds not showing up between a certain altitude range, 55-160km? If so, that's a known issue. If this isn't the case, please make sure you are running at least EVE v1.05-4 or later.

Clouds are only dependent on EVE. If the issue still persists, let me know.

Yeah still have nothing. 

19 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Looks nice! How do you make your clouds?

I composite public domain satellite photos together and use a few different brush sets to get things looking correct.The Offset filter in Photoshop is great for making seamless, tile-able image maps.

18 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Yeah still have nothing. 

You're going to have to provide a bit more information than that. All I can say to you is if you downloaded all the latest versions of the dependent mods, installed the mod as per the installation instructions then it will work as intended. An improper installation is most likely the case but I cannot gauge how it may be wrong from the lack of troubleshoot info you have provided. I'm happy to help but please provide all information about your KSP install including all mods installed and the folder hierarchy layout of your GameData directory.

Greetings!

I believe that i'm having a similar issue as a few of the other people here. I have installed OPM-VO along with the newest version of OPM, Kopernicus, EVE, BoulderCo and Scatterer. And I do get the beautiful Gas giants! However, Tekto doesn't have any clouds.

These are the images of my Gamedata folder and my PoodsOPMVO folder!

AF1QipMCQC01VdXcn7ZvK--EGfYFItNepNfOsfFc

AF1QipOkfAoj0ZOY7_k4uwU0ozrGwOa1y2vF870s

I am on Windows 10 by the way.

Also, I have checked and double checked the mods to make sure that I have gotten the correct ones, so I'm positive that they are the newest ones.

I have also tried to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it, and ran it in DX9 (before the uinstall, the game ran in OpenGL) to no avail.

I have also tried using KSPRC_v0,5, and they actually did give me the beautiful clouds on Tekto, and the rest of the applicable planets. I would however prefer to use EVE because it puts less strain on my PC, (I get a bit too close to the 3,8 gigs of ram use, with KSPRC and the memory leaks).

Hope this makes any sense, And beautiful mod by the way! :lol:

Edited by Skykid93
Problems with the pics

When you say you are using EVE and it isn't working, are you installing the (required) x86-EVE-Release and ALSO the (not required) x86-Configs-Release? If so, if you uninstall the EVE Configs (i.e. the whole BoulderCo directory) does OPM-VO then work to show clouds on Tekto and Thatmo?

Also, it seems you are having trouble hosting your images, try Imgur.com

Edited by Poodmund

holy balls that 4th gas giant image is the perfect look for Neidon, nice and inky, image 3 would be a great saturn esque look for Sarnus (colors adjusted of course), for Urlum I would like to see something like the second image, but maybe less bands. Images 5, 6, 7 would be great for Jool if you want to mess with that one. Don't like image 8 at all.

Edited by nsgallup

Hey Pood, you invited me over here to comment on your pack, over from the OPM thread. I just want to say that I think it looks absolutely gorgeous, the only thing that holds me from using it is that I want my Tekto to have the uniform haze that real life Titan has. And by the way, texture number three is the prettiest for Neidon, although 1, 2, and 5 could also be really great. Number 4 is too cartoony with those wiggly lines, and 6, 7, and 8 just look weird to me.

Okay, looking at the pictures a bit more has won me over. I'm going to install this first thing in the morning.

On 18/1/2016 at 0:14 AM, Poodmund said:

When you say you are using EVE and it isn't working, are you installing the (required) x86-EVE-Release and ALSO the (not required) x86-Configs-Release? If so, if you uninstall the EVE Configs (i.e. the whole BoulderCo directory) does OPM-VO then work to show clouds on Tekto and Thatmo?

Also, it seems you are having trouble hosting your images, try Imgur.com

Thanks for the reply!
I am using te x86-EVE-Release, and I am using the 1.05-4. I have just tried to remove the BoulderCo and that didn't make the clouds appear.

I have now uploaded my images to Imgur, let's try this again ^_^

kiJ88uo.png

http://i.imgur.com/uWaP063.png

Thank you. I understand your concerns and yes I kind of agree... my old Tekto used to look like this:

CJQMFP4.png

... using Eleusis La Arwall's configs for AVP-Interstellar and I would like to get some thick, fuzzy atmosphere back but it is difficult to achieve now with the new EVE format. I have some ideas though.

If you are going to try this pack out, I forewarn you that I hope you are either using a 64bit capable executable or like running close to a 32bit memory limit as I have no optimized this yet for low RAM usage. :D

Errrr, not exactly. I mean, it will still work without Scatterer. It may look different that what I intended for bodies to look like but feel free to use it and if you like how it looks, then great! :D

If Scatterer is giving you lag only around Gas Giants, be sure to remove all entries for them in Scatterer's PlanetList.cfg file.