[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

On 5/2/2016 at 6:26 AM, quarrion said:

I'd like to comment, but i'm busy looking for the jaw on the ground

Can you get mine too?  I can't find jaw on my own floor.

Poodmund - awesome man.  I wish there was something I could do to help you with your Internet situation.  I go through 500 Gig a month so I cannot relate at all.  Are you beaming this stuff from the Moon or Mars? LOL.

Haha, no its just one of the downsides of living in the countryside. 700kb/s down and 35kb/s up, it is slow.

With the recent addition of bump maps to EVE's volumetric particle system I am looking to implement this before a KSP 1.1.2 pre-release of this mod. I think it will only feature the Gas Giant changes and and early WIP for Tekto but it'll be something to try at least. Am looking to get it out by the end of the week.

Great looking stuff Poodmund. Until I get a better PC, I won't be able to play it myself but I'm glad you're making other people with more powerful PCs experience OPM in such a profoundly beautiful way. Thumbs up!

18 minutes ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

When will this mod be updated to 1.1?

I've been crashing using it currently in 1.1

@Poodmund literally did say on the very same page, that he tries to get an update out by the end of the week and the weekend has just begun. Even if he doesn't make the envisioned target, be patient please. 

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Yeah for the next release I still have to give Tekto's volumetric clouds a once over. I am doing system by system, so Sarnus system is initially getting the 2nd pass. I have pretty much got the colour map where I like it. I could still separate the bands, feather them and apply them through EVE to rotate at different speeds but it'd be a very large hit on the file size and memory usage so I'm not crazy about the idea.

But yeah, Tekto fuzzy clouds today and tomorrow, then I should have an initial 1.1.2 build up for testing. Then onto Urlum (which is in pretty good shape) and then onto Neidon/Thatmo (Neidon map needs a lot of work to make it more interesting and haven't even started on Thatmo).

For now, have a gander at the current Sarnus map:

Trying to pull out all the stops to get this into your hands ASAP, please bear with me.

Right update is out:

v0.2.0-beta

Due to some users having issues with compatibility, please find below a list of the dependencies and the current builds used to run OPM-VO. Please ensure that you are running at least these versions of the dependencies or later releases:

EVE: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip?raw=true (Dev build 'edb6dfcd711a2c9f24af466b227ead2f64e54e53' 2016-05-03)

Scatterer: http://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer/download/0.0246 (Release build 0.0246 2016-08-05)

Kopernicus: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/download/release-1-0-4/Kopernicus.1.0.4.zip (Release build 1.0.4 2016-05-06)

Module Manager: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/113/artifact/ModuleManager.2.6.24.dll (Release build 2.6.24 2016-04-30)

Outer Planets Mod: http://spacedock.info/mod/233/Outer%20Planets%20Mod/download/1.9.5.1 (Release build 1.9.5.1 2016-05-02)

-----------------------------------

I have been unexpectedly busy this weekend but I promised to get something out for testing a thoughts so here it is. Thatmo work is not included, Tekto has a horrid transition when going down through the atmo to the surface, but it looks great from orbit and when landed however, OPM-Tilt compatibility is not added back yet, volumetric clouds on Tekto are working placeholders at the moment... and some other stuff. But Giant Planet textures are updated and working well.

As always, thoughts and feedback are IMMENSELY appreciated.

As an aside, Sarnus now has a hexagonal, moving storm at its North Pole:

EDIT: It may sound above that I am a bit salty about the status of this release, true I would have preferred it to be a bit further along but I wanted to get something in all your hands to test out. Safe to say I'll be working on it over the coming weeks to bring it up to snuff.

Edited by Poodmund

Very much appreciate all your work.  Hexagonal Storm is a great touch!  I'll check it out tonight but am in two minds ... I kind of want to 'discover' them first time when my fledgling career get's a probe out there (ticking of mun and minmus biomes now).

Does Sarnus really cast it's shadow across the rings?

@Poodmund I love the visuals this mod provides, so I was anxious to try out the new update, but I don't think it's working correctly. I run a fairly mod heavy primary install, but I've replicated the issue in a stripped down install using nothing but the latest versions of the dependencies:

• Module Manager 2.6.24
  • Kopernicus 1.0.4
  • OPM 1.9.5
  • EVE 1.1.1
  • Scatterer 0.0246

With the dependencies installed, I then install OPM-VO v0.2.0

After I start and launch a ship, I go into map view and then focus on Tekto, and this is what I see:  Tekto No Clouds

It looks like there aren't any clouds loading, only scatterer. 

Here is a picture of Tekto after I remove the scatter config folder for Tekto.

Testing is done on Win x64 KSP 1.1.2. Here are my logs.

Thank you for making this awesome addition to OPM! Please let me know if I can provide any more logs, images, etc to help with testing. 

Edited by nebuchadnezzar

Just did a test. Game worked fine, but none of the effects worked, it allso broke my scatterer and EVE effects on the stock planets.

Its a heavily modded install. i have lost count.

Edited by Elmotrix

I can confirm the above post. Something in the PoodsOPMVO folder breaks Scatterer and EVE on all planets including stock. By 'break' I mean effects from both mods simply don't render, but the game runs perfectly and there are no other visual glitches.

Tested on a completely stock game - both x32 and x64 versions. The result is the same.

10 hours ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

With the dependencies installed, I then install OPM-VO v0.2.0

After I start and launch a ship, I go into map view and then focus on Tekto, and this is what I see:  Tekto No Clouds

It looks like there aren't any clouds loading, only scatterer.

3 hours ago, Elmotrix said:

Just did a test. Game worked fine, but none of the effects worked, it allso broke my scatterer and EVE effects on the stock planets.

Its a heavily modded install. i have lost count.

1 hour ago, rextable said:

I can confirm the above post. Something in the PoodsOPMVO folder breaks Scatterer and EVE on all planets including stock. By 'break' I mean effects from both mods simply don't render, but the game runs perfectly and there are no other visual glitches.

Tested on a completely stock game - both x32 and x64 versions. The result is the same.

I would ask you all to confirm the versions of the dependencies that you are using. As a mod in development, I am requiring the latest release builds and/or the latest dev builds of the dependencies as follows:

EVE: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/AnyCPU-EVE.zip?raw=true (Dev build 'edb6dfcd711a2c9f24af466b227ead2f64e54e53' 2016-05-03)

Scatterer: http://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer/download/0.0246 (Release build 0.0246 2016-08-05)

Kopernicus: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/download/release-1-0-4/Kopernicus.1.0.4.zip (Release build 1.0.4 2016-05-06)

Module Manager: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/113/artifact/ModuleManager.2.6.24.dll (Release build 2.6.24 2016-04-30)

Outer Planets Mod: http://spacedock.info/mod/233/Outer%20Planets%20Mod/download/1.9.5.1 (Release build 1.9.5.1 2016-05-02)

Please ensure that you are running these latest mods for full compatibility, I would presume that the issues discussed above are due to using an old version of EVE wherein the new Cube Map system syntax that my mod uses is not able to be read by the old versions of EVE.

Please update your mods and let me know if the issues persist. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: Also, @Tiberius K, unfortunately no the shadow is not real, I just included it every now and then so people can go, "Oh thats amazing" to try and convince Blackrack to prioritize it for Scatterer implementation... :P My own little way of trolling.

Edited by Poodmund

33 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I would ask you all to confirm the versions of the dependencies that you are using. As a mod in development, I am requiring the latest release builds and/or the latest dev builds of the dependencies as follows:

Please ensure that you are running these latest mods for full compatibility, I would presume that the issues discussed above are due to using an old version of EVE wherein the new Cube Map system syntax that my mod uses is not able to be read by the old versions of EVE.

Please update your mods and let me know if the issues persist. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: Also, @Tiberius K, unfortunately no the shadow is not real, I just included it every now and then so people can go, "Oh thats amazing" to try and convince Blackrack to prioritize it for Scatterer implementation... :P My own little way of trolling.

Hey Poodmund :) 

I have checked and rechecked - I'm positive that all dependencies are up to date at my end. 

18 minutes ago, rextable said:

Hey Poodmund :) 

I have checked and rechecked - I'm positive that all dependencies are up to date at my end. 

Could you please go into the Tracking Station, focus on Tekto, open the EVE GUI with Alt+0 and the take screenshots of the following... 

The TextureConfig window (make sure to navigate using the arrows at the top of the GUI away from, say, BoulderCo/Textures to PoodsOPMVO/Textures first)

The CloudConfig window.

You should get the following screens:

I fear an old EVE build is being used which is not allowing my clouds to render due to them using the new Cube Map syntax introduced in the dev builds.

20 minutes ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

@Poodmund

I made sure that I'm using the latest updates for all the dependencies, but that hasn't fixed it. Here is the image you asked for. 

From your screenshot it looks like the EVE cloud layers are working. They are just very highly masked by Scatterer to give a Titan-esque effect as requested a lot previously. Here are screenshots from my end for comparison.

To confirm, try send a craft down through the atmosphere, you should encounter the volumetric particle clouds on the same layers as the 2D space cloud textures.

If you don't want the clouds to be as masked as they are, you can change the mapExtinctionMultiplier and skyExtinctionMultiplier values in the Scatterer GUI (accessed wth Alt+F10) and increase the values nearer to '1'. That should lower the opacity of the scatterer effect somewhat. After doing so, you may need to fiddle with the exposure values to lower the brightness though. And note, as always, Scatterer effects don't load in Tracking Station/Map view unless you are controlling a craft within its load distance.

If I get overwhelming feedback saying, "Oh, I don't like it anymore because I can't see the clouds as much," then I don't know what to do at this point anymore. :D Just kidding, but seriously, that's kind of the feedback I want.

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, Elmotrix said:

reinstalled everything and now i got this.

But i'm confused. Is this how its supposed to look like?

Allso my kerbin and duna cloads seem changed....

Edit: Yep defenently changed

Do you have SVE installed? I had a similar issue with SVE. I think the dev version of EVE is the cause of this issue, and will require fixing on the SVE side. 

2 hours ago, Elmotrix said:

reinstalled everything and now i got this.

But i'm confused. Is this how its supposed to look like?

Allso my kerbin and duna cloads seem changed....

Edit: Yep defenently changed

Yeah I got the same thing. does your mods list look anything like this?  898wg0Q.png I think I'm getting greedy with the 64 bit release. EDIT: Trying to get all this to work together has been a nightmare. Right now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling in different orders hoping MM will know what to do.

Edited by Genolution

1 hour ago, Genolution said:

Yeah I got the same thing. does your mods list look anything like this?  

Prity much. no kerbin scale tho.

I removed SVE and went with the Boulder thing that comes with EVE, and that fixed kerbin/duna/Laythe cloads, but outer planets are unchanged. meaning i still get this.

But i thought it was supposed to look like that:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

From your screenshot it looks like the EVE cloud layers are working. They are just very highly masked by Scatterer to give a Titan-esque effect as requested a lot previously. Here are screenshots from my end for comparison.

To confirm, try send a craft down through the atmosphere, you should encounter the volumetric particle clouds on the same layers as the 2D space cloud textures.

If you don't want the clouds to be as masked as they are, you can change the mapExtinctionMultiplier and skyExtinctionMultiplier values in the Scatterer GUI (accessed wth Alt+F10) and increase the values nearer to '1'. That should lower the opacity of the scatterer effect somewhat. After doing so, you may need to fiddle with the exposure values to lower the brightness though. And note, as always, Scatterer effects don't load in Tracking Station/Map view unless you are controlling a craft within its load distance.

If I get overwhelming feedback saying, "Oh, I don't like it anymore because I can't see the clouds as much," then I don't know what to do at this point anymore. :D Just kidding, but seriously, that's kind of the feedback I want.

Edited by Elmotrix