[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

Hello @Poodmund I tried chaning the planetMaps.cfg as shown above but it doesn't work I'm running ksp 1.7.0 with scatterer, EVE, planet shine, Distant body enhancment

Instead of planets having normal Urlum, Neidon and Sarnus texture it gets replaced by jool texture but OPM tilt kind fixes Urlum and rest stays jool  ;_; ( posting this at 4am after 6 hours of tinkering with cfg files I really need your help)

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Quick question: this doesn't work on my ksp 1.7.3 install, do you ever plan on updating this to 1.7.3? If you are, good work! If you aren't, equal amount of good work for maintaining the awesome OPM!

I cannot think of a single change to EVE since 1.3.1 that would cause this not to work. I suggest you do a proper bug report.

35 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I cannot think of a single change to EVE since 1.3.1 that would cause this not to work. I suggest you do a proper bug report.

Not sure that I ever updated the Scatterer configs to the new syntax when the big refactor happened 'recently'. Therefore, @The Minmus Derp you might want to try deleting the Scatterer configs in this mod and then copying in some from a different mod that supplies them like SVE...?

46 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Not sure that I ever updated the Scatterer configs to the new syntax when the big refactor happened 'recently'. Therefore, @The Minmus Derp you might want to try deleting the Scatterer configs in this mod and then copying in some from a different mod that supplies them like SVE...?

I had not even thought of Scatterer

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Well, I'm hesitant to do that, because I might break the mod... 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/17/2015 at 6:46 PM, Grunf911 said:

Beautiful looking mod, here is some crazy ideas for gas giants, in terms of atmospheric flight

From Titan A.E.

(a man can dream :-) )

I guess you should take a look at the "Beyond Home" planet pack made by Gameslinx.

Edited by RandomKerbal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its not going to be merged into OPM because this is all EVE and Scatterer dependent work.

OPM and this mod have just been put on the back burner for two reasons, I've been putting my KSP time into other, more pertinent (in my opinion) mods and also due to Kopernicus' situation being so flakey.

There is a roadmap present for OPM on the GitHub repo but that discussion is more relevant for the OPM thread.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Digging up an old thread, but since I'm in the middle of building a new KSP install with mods, I thought I would share my experience for people asking: "Does this mod still work?"

As of 1.12.3, YES - with some work.

On page 18 of this thread, Poodmund has a few lines of code you should change out that improve things.  Its quick and easy.

As well as the other dependencies, you need to install something like Astronomer's Visual pack.  This conflicts with Spectra, so you will have to uninstall that if you have it.

Here's a gallery I made of side by side pictures of what the Outer Planets look like in default, with the Overhaul Mod installed, and with Astronomer's Pack side-by-side:
https://imgur.com/a/ObaVv7F

Only remaining issue is the Uranus replacement isn't tilted.

Edited by lanceo90
better image gallery, implemented fixes

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I'd advise just to delete the Scatterer configs included and use ones that work with the latest Scatterer from another mod.

After implementing the fix and Astronomer's pack it's looking fantastic.   I edited my post and image gallery to reflect it.

Do you happen to have a quick fix for no tilt on Urium?

That requires either a different base texture (I can't remember if Sigma bundled a titled version of mine in their mod) or you can take the base texture and make it into an EVE cloud layer and then rotate it in that. A bit finicky.

The issue it that you can't rotate the axis of rotation of the moons and so they still rotate the wrong direction compared to a titled Urlum.

• 1 month later...

Hey @Poodmund, I'm working on a fan game (it's a digitization of the board game Leaving Earth 1956 - 1976, and optionally allows play in the Kerbol system, with the OPM optional) and was trying to gather visuals for the graphics.

If possible, I'd really like to use your versions of Tekto and Thatmo (I admittedly am undecided on the gas/ice giants, mainly due to the color changes), but while I have been able to get past the astronomers visual pack problems that give Tekto Eve's atmosphere and Thatmo what looks to be Kerbol's atmosphere, I still have yet to get the textures and scattering to look as good as they did at the peak of this mod.  Especially the clouds.

Do you know a way to restore the old textures with proper scattering, or at least have some high-resolution, full-dayside shots of each world (including tilted urlum) with all the textural bells and whistles?

Here's an image to give an idea of what I'm working on--this is a game board, hence the bunched up look.  I'm going to expand on this for OPM.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2879582/sneak-peak-things-come

The planets and moons as you see them are actually only "basically surveyed"--there's also an "advanced survey" version which will be using the high-detail visual overhaul appearance--typically from AVP but they don't have good visuals for the OPM.

Edited by Enigma Star
Typo fix

Hi Enigma Star, do you have access to a copy of KSP version 1.3.1? This may be the easiest way to run the OPM-VO in its correct format with the relevant dependent mods at their correct versions for KSP 1.3.1.