[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

I borked up something related to my Scatterer configs for Thatmo so I ended up completely redoing them. Look a bit better really. Anyway, I have the colour maps working on the Gas Giants, just need to do Scatterer configs for them and then put the final touches on them.

EDIT: I've just sorted out the custom base colour maps and ring textures to be applied to the scaled space models, here you can see them in game.

The Neidon texture has been changed slightly to make it a bit more stormy but apart from that they are good to go I think.

Edited by Poodmund

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I borked up something related to my Scatterer configs for Thatmo so I ended up completely redoing them. Look a bit better really. Anyway, I have the colour maps working on the Gas Giants, just need to do Scatterer configs for them and then put the final touches on them.

EDIT: I've just sorted out the custom base colour maps and ring textures to be applied to the scaled space models, here you can see them in game.

The Neidon texture has been changed slightly to make it a bit more stormy but apart from that they are good to go I think.

Bruh.... Looks amazing man!

Also what about adding a blue haze line to the pluto analogue? Something like this?

Blue-Skies-on-Pluto-FINAL.jpg?itok=JZNuT

That is pluto btw 

Edited by DaZeInBok

v0.1.0-beta - Poodmund's Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul

There you go, have at it!

Personally, I feel Tekto is too green at the moment and also be aware that I cannot get Scatterer effects in for the Gas Giants as there is currently an outstanding issue with this that Blackrack is aware of. In light of this, I thought I may as well get a release out for testing/feedback rather than waiting.

Please read the Readme as it goes over some known issues, features, dependencies etc. that I won't go over in the OP at this moment as this is a dev thread.

Feedback please!

EDIT: Also if you are to make any kind of screenshots/videos of this, please mark down the version number along with it as it is an early Pre-Release Beta. However, screenshots/vidos are very welcome as I need some great stuff to put into the OP of a release thread when it comes around. Have fun!

Edited by Poodmund
Stuff and things.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

EDIT: Also if you are to make any kind of screenshots/videos of this, please mark down the version number along with it as it is an early Pre-Release Beta. However, screenshots/vidos are very welcome as I need some great stuff to put into the OP of a release thread when it comes around. Have fun!

Will be making a video of this in a day or so

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

v0.1.0-beta - Poodmund's Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul

There you go, have at it!

Personally, I feel Tekto is too green at the moment and also be aware that I cannot get Scatterer effects in for the Gas Giants as there is currently an outstanding issue with this that Blackrack is aware of. In light of this, I thought I may as well get a release out for testing/feedback rather than waiting.

Please read the Readme as it goes over some known issues, features, dependencies etc. that I won't go over in the OP at this moment as this is a dev thread.

Feedback please!

!!! Nice! Congrats on getting a release out :D Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, phenomenal work man :D 

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

My suggestion for Tekto would be - less turbulence. It's a Titan analogue. There isn't much weather on Titan and it can't be. Copious amounts of fog only.

On 12/10/2015 at 7:29 PM, Poodmund said:

Thank you for your kind words. I am not really going for a total analogue overhaul but will be taking cool features from the real life counterparts where I think it is a nice idea to do so. NASA recently released new images of Titan and it turns out its weather system is more Earth-like than previously thought: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-10/nasa-releases-detailed-image-of-titan/7015678

Not for want of repeating myself but Eudae55 made a similar remark to which my 'rebuttle' is shown above. Thank you for your feedback however, I will definitely consider changing it around in the future. :D

Thank you for your kinds words DazeInBok & Nhawks17.

37 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Not for want of repeating myself but Eudae55 made a similar remark to which my 'rebuttle' is shown above. Thank you for your feedback however, I will definitely consider changing it around in the future. :D

Thank you for your kinds words DazeInBok & Nhawks17.

Nothing in that article even suggests that Titan's weather is close to Earth's. Titan is a vast hydrocarbon-water ice desert with scattered lakes of mostly liquid methane. There are processes on Titan that are basically analoguous to ours, but it's all much slower. Earth has a rich variety of weather, ranging from hurricanes and tornados, to barely noticeable breeze. The globe is always busy with something going on.

Titan never ever displayed anything like that, not even close. Not even lightning has been detected. It's a foggy orange ball with most activity on one of its poles (the booby one) that reached spring season recently, after decades.

I think it all comes down to what Poodmund wants to do with the mod. He's putting the work into it and while feedback is always appreciated the final decision will rest in his hands and is most imporantly based off of what he wants for the mod.

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Nothing in that article even suggests that Titan's weather is close to Earth's. Titan is a vast hydrocarbon-water ice desert with scattered lakes of mostly liquid methane. There are processes on Titan that are basically analoguous to ours, but it's all much slower. Earth has a rich variety of weather, ranging from hurricanes and tornados, to barely noticeable breeze. The globe is always busy with something going on.

Titan never ever displayed anything like that, not even close. Not even lightning has been detected. It's a foggy orange ball with most activity on one of its poles (the booby one) that reached spring season recently, after decades.

True, what you say is correct, what I was sort of trying to justify is that Titan is now thought to experience more excited weather systems than was previously thought due to younger landforms being pictured. I'm not going for analogue/replicas but I do want to follow them "somewhat" and yes a thick fog haze would be very nice. Gameplay wise though, I think it would be incredibly boring to have Tekto look like a green version of this:

1409832412892_wps_1_article_2666876_1F12

What are your thoughts, Lajoswinkler? I know Nhawks17 above rightly said, I will do what I want to do for this mod, BUT, lets be honest, I am doing it to give an option for the OPM-userbase community to use a different, subjectively nicer, texture pack for OPM... so I want people, like YOU, to like it right?. :D

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

"I will do what I want to do for this mod, BUT, lets be honest, I am doing it to give an option for the OPM-userbase community to use a different, subjectively nicer, texture pack for OPM... so I want people, like YOU, to like it right?. :D

"Artists" like in this case modders/tweakers like you guys should definitely stand your grounds... Do exactly what you want to do and it's going to be perfect even though sometimes there might be haters who gonna hate ;) I'm hardly playing KSP anymore without OPM and you can really count me in that userbase whos really looking forward this. Congrats for release and i've been waiting for this since you started this thread. Downloading ->

Edited by Murdox

Uhmm i must correct some things i said in previous post about haters... Well i lied... How someone could dislike this?... Could't find any haters from Tekto neither... I'm sold and speechless!

OPM-VO v0.1.0-beta

Just wanted to release something out fast before went back to work and im going to do better/longer videos when i get more time to play with this. One more time thanks for early release! :)

Edited by Murdox

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

True, what you say is correct, what I was sort of trying to justify is that Titan is now thought to experience more excited weather systems than was previously thought due to younger landforms being pictured. I'm not going for analogue/replicas but I do want to follow them "somewhat" and yes a thick fog haze would be very nice. Gameplay wise though, I think it would be incredibly boring to have Tekto look like a green version of this:

1409832412892_wps_1_article_2666876_1F12

What are your thoughts, Lajoswinkler? I know Nhawks17 above rightly said, I will do what I want to do for this mod, BUT, lets be honest, I am doing it to give an option for the OPM-userbase community to use a different, subjectively nicer, texture pack for OPM... so I want people, like YOU, to like it right?. :D

Yes, a dull green ball would be boring. :)

I'd just go with less turbulent atmosphere. I see you have rather violent atmosphere fronts there, it's teaming with activity reminiscent of troposphere turbulence. I'd go with lots of cirruses and cirrostratus layers, all drenched in really thick fog. Those clouds can be very nice, they're solid aerosols and do not engage in rich weather activities. I'm not sure how fog is made in KSP, though. Scatterer, I suppose... *CPU asplodes* :D 

13 hours ago, Murdox said:

Just wanted to release something out fast before went back to work and im going to do better/longer videos when i get more time to play with this. One more time thanks for early release! :)

Hehe, nice! Just for your information, Scatterer effects will not show around planets/moons unless your Active Vessel is orbiting around said body within its load distance.

11 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Yes, a dull green ball would be boring. :)

I'd just go with less turbulent atmosphere. I see you have rather violent atmosphere fronts there, it's teaming with activity reminiscent of troposphere turbulence. I'd go with lots of cirruses and cirrostratus layers, all drenched in really thick fog. Those clouds can be very nice, they're solid aerosols and do not engage in rich weather activities. I'm not sure how fog is made in KSP, though. Scatterer, I suppose... *CPU asplodes* :D 

That's a very good idea, I'll definitely experiment a bit. With regards to fog, any cloud that you can be 'within' is generated by EVE's volumetric cloud function by creating multiple particles that have the particles image oriented depending on your camera's orientation in the x,y,z plane, it blends these 3 particles together to try to create clouds. The success of this is greatly down to the quality of the particle textures that are used.... create clouds with a lot of densely spaced particles with a large size and you get fog. It can be a CPU killer though.

EDIT: Also, in the meanwhile, I've added KSP-AVC support and will be also putting in support for the use of @Sigma88's great OPM-Tilt mod that adds a 90 degree axial tilt to Urlum and its Moons. I presume that this should all be fine. I have also greatly created a new and improved cloud layer's detail texture so it should tile better and include a lot more cloud-iness.

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Hehe, nice! Just for your information, Scatterer effects will not show around planets/moons unless your Active Vessel is orbiting around said body within its load distance.

Thanks for info! Doh i just also noticed there wasn't any scatterer effects so ill better go and check my settings for loading distances

Edit: Just opened up scatterer UI while im still 110km Tekto orbit, but can't see any opm planet there. Is there any config file in your release i can check for getting scatterer to work or am i just doing something wrong here? Thanks! :)

Edited by Murdox

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

EDIT: Also, in the meanwhile, I've added KSP-AVC support and will be also putting in support for the use of @Sigma88's great OPM-Tilt mod that adds a 90 degree axial tilt to Urlum and its Moons. I presume that this should all be fine. I have also greatly created a new and improved cloud layer's detail texture so it should tile better and include a lot more cloud-iness.

cool!

let me know if you want to add compatibility with my OPM-Recolor too ;)

1 hour ago, Murdox said:

Thanks for info! Doh i just also noticed there wasn't any scatterer effects so ill better go and check my settings for loading distances

Edit: Just opened up scatterer UI while im still 110km Tekto orbit, but can't see any opm planet there. Is there any config file in your release i can check for getting scatterer to work or am i just doing something wrong here? Thanks! :)

Damn it! I've made a huge mistake! Haha. :lol: I forgot to include the necessary modified Scatterer 'PlanetsList.cfg' and celestial body folders to add the OPM planets to it. What an ass; I'll get a fix up tonight.

Edited by Poodmund

19 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Damn it! I've made a huge mistake! Haha. :lol: I forgot to include the necessary modified Scatterer 'PlanetsList.cfg' and celestial body folders to add the OPM planets to it. What an ass; I'll get a fix up tonight.

Haha awesome! I was too excited about your release yesterday so i didn't even noticed that i was missing scattering effects even you told me so :D And now got confused cause i couldn't find configs so thats why i was wondering am i doing something wrong here. Take your time man and glad u got it solved!

Edited by Murdox

v0.1.1-beta - Poodmund's Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul

Changelog:

- Included Scatterer files that were forgotten in initial release to allow Scatterer effects to load in-game (doh!)

- Included MiniAVC plugin to allow mod to auto-check if update is available upon game launch.

Please read the Readme as it goes over some known issues, features, dependencies etc. that I won't go over in the OP at this moment as this is a dev thread.

Feedback please!

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

- Included MiniAVC plugin to allow mod to auto-check if update is available upon game launch.

Feedback please!

this is just my personal opinion that I'm giving as feedback, of course you are free to do as you desire :)

I never liked the MiniAVC plugin, I think that KSP-AVC is an awesome mod, and I always include a .version file in my mods, but using MiniAVC forces players to get the notifications, and some may not like that.

other than this, the mod looks very good. congrats

13 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

this is just my personal opinion that I'm giving as feedback, of course you are free to do as you desire :)

I never liked the MiniAVC plugin, I think that KSP-AVC is an awesome mod, and I always include a .version file in my mods, but using MiniAVC forces players to get the notifications, and some may not like that.

other than this, the mod looks very good. congrats

In the past I got to the point where I ended up spending more time managing my GameData folder and browsing the forums to check for updates than actually playing the game. It seemed a bit dumb, so between CKAN and KSP-AVC they kind of make this mod managing redundant and let you know when updates are available. I prefer that as a user.... I'll think about it.

With regard to OPM-Tilt support, I have Urlum's colour map applying correctly when OPM-Tilt is present but I am having a hard time getting EVE's cloud layers to change through a MM config.

In my cloud.cfg file that has all my EVE cloud layers I have the following for Urlum:

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = gasLayer
		body = Urlum
		altitude = 24000
		speed = 0,220,0
		offset = 0,0,180
		settings
		{
			_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
			_Color = 100,135,170,220
			_MainTex
			{
				value = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/gaslayer
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
				value = PoodsOPMVO/Textures/detailCloud
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_RimDist = 4E-04
				_InvFade = 0.008
			}
		}
	}
}

... and I have created a new config OPMTilt.cfg within the same folder that has the following:

@EVE_CLOUDS:NEEDS[OPMTilt]
{
	@EVE_CLOUDS,*
	{
		@OBJECT:HAS[#body[Urlum]]
		{
			@speed = 0,-220,0
			@offset = 90,90,0
		}
	}
}

It's not working, the cloud layer variables do not changed. I've had a look through your own configs for the OPM-Tilt cloud layers to see what I may be doing wrong but I cannot figure it out (yours are also based on the old EVE syntax anyway). Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I think this should work

Yes it does, thank you very much. I presume that the use of 'SigmaOPMTilt' is because Module Manager takes the directory structure of Sigma/OPMTilt and removes the forward slash?

I ended up using the following and all is working as intended now. Thank you for your help Sigma, the next release will have OPM-Tilt support! Horray!

@EVE_CLOUDS:NEEDS[SigmaOPMTilt]
{
	@OBJECT:HAS[#body[Urlum]]
	{
		@speed = 0,-220,0
		@offset = 90,90,0
	}
	@OBJECT:HAS[#body[Urlum]:HAS[#name[gasLayer]]]
	{
		@settings
		{
			@_Color = 100,135,170,180
		}
	}
}

I needed to lower the opacity of the cloud layer as for whatever reason having Urlum's axial tilt at 90 degrees caused the cloud layer to become very thick and dark. Maybe just the way the Sun is oriented to the gas bands on the colour map? Anyway, it works. :D

I know pictures don't really show the tilt but its there. :D

Edited by Poodmund