[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

Scatter is not 'technically' necessary as any part of the mod that requires another 'dependency' to functions will just cease to function if that mod is not installed, ergo, but not running Scatterer you will not see its atmospheric effects from Map View, Orbital Vew (Scaled Space) or down at PQS level.

That being said I the other parts of the mod have been and will be set up to work with Scatterer so mileage may vary for you if you're not using it.

Now that 1.1 is out, I will get to work on getting this out for a final Pre-Release once a 1.1 compatible build of OPM is released.

2 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Scatter is not 'technically' necessary as any part of the mod that requires another 'dependency' to functions will just cease to function if that mod is not installed, ergo, but not running Scatterer you will not see its atmospheric effects from Map View, Orbital Vew (Scaled Space) or down at PQS level.

That being said I the other parts of the mod have been and will be set up to work with Scatterer so mileage may vary for you if you're not using it.

Now that 1.1 is out, I will get to work on getting this out for a final Pre-Release once a 1.1 compatible build of OPM is released.

Yeah, I'm waiting for 1.1s Wheel/Leg issues to get sorted out so I don't lose a second Mun Base.

That's great to hear as well, hopefully everything works....

Edited by Andem

Early tests show that it works somewhat... however, the changes to Scatterer have caused all the planets/moons to appear super bright. At this stage I feel the best way forward would to just write everything from scratch again in a new 1.1 build. I have all the textures and base configs from the previous version so it shouldn't be too painful.

bqxxJ8pl.jpg

Edited by Poodmund

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Early tests show that it works somewhat... however, the changes to Scatterer have caused all the planets/moons to appear super bright. At this stage I feel the best way forward would to just write everything from scratch again in a new 1.1 build. I have all the textures and base configs from the previous version so it shouldn't be too painful.

bqxxJ8pl.jpg

You should do well. I see what you mean about the ultra brightness. Tekto looks alot like my alien moon on SpaceEngine. I look forward to seeing what awesomeness will be included next in this beautiful texture enhancement mod. :)

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

bqxxJ8pl.jpg

I had to do this for SVE but I believe it's actually the changes made to KSP, not Scatterer. I was discussing the brightness issue with rbray and he was saying it was possibly the changes to U5 that Squad had to make.

11 hours ago, Poodmund said:

bqxxJ8pl.jpg

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to run this, finally!  I can't wait for your 1.1 release, @Poodmund.  I have fired up the sorta-fixed TextureReplacer, and I have noticed that all the stars in your skybox now look extra bright there, too.  Is this just something that has changed in Unity 5?

On April 22, 2016 at 3:07 AM, Cetera said:

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to run this, finally!  I can't wait for your 1.1 release, @Poodmund.  I have fired up the sorta-fixed TextureReplacer, and I have noticed that all the stars in your skybox now look extra bright there, too.  Is this just something that has changed in Unity 5?

What/where is this sort afixed texture replacer?  I'd like to use the same skybox you do as well so any help would be wonderful.

poodmund - your work is so beautiful!  I really can't bear to not have it in my game, so will things be OK if I leave in in there?  Then swap to your new 1.1 when it is done?

33 minutes ago, jpinard said:

What/where is this sort afixed texture replacer?  I'd like to use the same skybox you do as well so any help would be wonderful.

poodmund - your work is so beautiful!  I really can't bear to not have it in my game, so will things be OK if I leave in in there?  Then swap to your new 1.1 when it is done?

You can find the Texture Replacer mod here: https://github.com/ducakar/TextureReplacer/releases/ and my Skyboxes can be found here: Link

Thanks for your kind words. I have most of the Scatterer work redone. Its looking nice, the new features and tweaks added since like 3 months ago really bring out the best in Scatterer. I have taken into consideration the criticism made in this thread about Tekto not appearing like Titan enough and have changed its look using Scatterer enough to replicate a thick fuzzy atmosphere much like what was possible in the old EVE. There will still be thick, stormy cloud layers present and fog on the surface but it will render beneath Scatterers' fuzz so the clouds will become more apparent the lower you get in altitude.

A little teaser of Tekto with only Scatterer effects applied... no clouds yet.

7PqNMgxl.png

EDIT: Also, jpinard, you can drop the 0.1.2 or 0.1.3 Pre-release of this mod into your 1.1 build and it is likely that it will work to some extent. It did for me on a fresh 1.1 build with the dependent mods installed as this mod is really just textures and configs which should not be affected by the 1.1 update. However, with 1.1's new lighting, it looks way too bright and weird. Its up to you if you want to experiment or not. :D

Edited by Poodmund

Will you be able to fix the brightness?

That screenshot of Tekto looks so Incredible.  I hate to use the term "beautiful" once again, but it really is. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this.  It is going to be so nice exploring these worlds.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:48 AM, Poodmund said:

You can find the Texture Replacer mod here: https://github.com/ducakar/TextureReplacer/releases/ and my Skyboxes can be found here: Link

Thanks for your kind words. I have most of the Scatterer work redone. Its looking nice, the new features and tweaks added since like 3 months ago really bring out the best in Scatterer. I have taken into consideration the criticism made in this thread about Tekto not appearing like Titan enough and have changed its look using Scatterer enough to replicate a thick fuzzy atmosphere much like what was possible in the old EVE. There will still be thick, stormy cloud layers present and fog on the surface but it will render beneath Scatterers' fuzz so the clouds will become more apparent the lower you get in altitude.

A little teaser of Tekto with only Scatterer effects applied... no clouds yet.

7PqNMgxl.png

EDIT: Also, jpinard, you can drop the 0.1.2 or 0.1.3 Pre-release of this mod into your 1.1 build and it is likely that it will work to some extent. It did for me on a fresh 1.1 build with the dependent mods installed as this mod is really just textures and configs which should not be affected by the 1.1 update. However, with 1.1's new lighting, it looks way too bright and weird. Its up to you if you want to experiment or not. :D

Your work really is stunning! Good luck on the updating front, that Tekto even without clouds looks absolutely awesome!

Edited by lagcity613

Still working on getting low level EVE clouds to visually blend properly with Scatterer as some of the techniques have changed slightly. I think it will be for the better. I'm also getting some weird crashes that may or may not be related to anything to do with this mod but its taking some of my time looking into it. Anyway... have a teaser...

Be aware that I did take the liberty to Photoshop the shadow on the rings to try and convince Blackrack to prioritize its functionality in Scatterer (hehe) as it looks simply gorgeous but everything else is completely untouched in-game screenshot. I will also be putting some hurricane systems down on Tekto at low level. I have an idea as to how I can get them to actually rotate around the storm's eye but this may take some time tinkering so at first I think I'll just keep them as conventional cloud maps.

@jpinard, unfortunately I won't be supporting 1.0.5 and won't be updating previous releases to work with 1.1 as I don't think it'd be worth my time. I'll concentrate focus on getting this new build ready for 1.1 first and hope to get something out soon after a 1.1 compatible OPM build is released.

Edited by Poodmund

5 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Still working on getting low level EVE clouds to visually blend properly with Scatterer as some of the techniques have changed slightly. I think it will be for the better. I'm also getting some weird crashes that may or may not be related to anything to do with this mod but its taking some of my time looking into it. Anyway... have a teaser...

Be aware that I did take the liberty to Photoshop the shadow on the rings to try and convince Blackrack to prioritize its functionality in Scatterer (hehe) as it looks simply gorgeous but everything else is completely untouched in-game screenshot. I will also be putting some hurricane systems down on Tekto at low level. I have an idea as to how I can get them to actually rotate around the storm's eye but this may take some time tinkering so at first I think I'll just keep them as conventional cloud maps.

@jpinard, unfortunately I won't be supporting 1.0.5 and won't be updating previous releases to work with 1.1 as I don't think it'd be worth my time. I'll concentrate focus on getting this new build ready for 1.1 first and hope to get something out soon after a 1.1 compatible OPM build is released.

That sounds just fine.  All that matters is we have a version that will function in 1.1 :)

On 4/23/2016 at 10:48 AM, Poodmund said:

you can drop the 0.1.2 or 0.1.3 Pre-release of this mod into your 1.1 build and it is likely that it will work to some extent. It did for me on a fresh 1.1 build with the dependent mods installed as this mod is really just textures and configs which should not be affected by the 1.1 update. However, with 1.1's new lighting, it looks way too bright and weird. Its up to you if you want to experiment or not. :D

I did this myself, using CKAN for EVE, Scatterer, and Kopernicus, and dropped in OPM and then your mod manually. It does indeed work and looks awesome even with the crazy brightness.

Z4hckqQ.jpg?1

---

However, I have this weird effect where the OPM planet atmospheres interact with their rings.

Do you get this on your install or is it something I did wrong or another mod conflicting? I don't THINK it should be the latter, since nothing else should be messing with visuals, but I could be wrong (EDIT: after attaching my modlist I looked through it again and saw Distant Object Enhancement, which could be causing the issue. Forgot about that one). Attaching modlist just in case. You don't have to track down this issue right now or anything. In fact, if you can't replicate it you should put out your updated version first, and THEN we can look into the issue if it persists.

Modlist, apart from manually installed OPM and this mod:

Spoiler

• [x] Science! (xScience 4.15)
  • B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v1.1)
  • BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.2)
  • CareerManager (CareerManager 1.2.0.0)
  • Cetera's Suit Mod (Ceteras-Suit-Pack 0.3)
  • Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.5.0.0)
  • Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 2.4.0)
  • Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace 1.2.0.9)
  • Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.10.4)
  • Contract Pack: Bases and Stations (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 1:3.2.1)
  • Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.0.0.1)
  • Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.1.7)
  • Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) (GAP 1.2.3)
  • Contract Pack: Historic Missions (ContractConfigurator-HistoricMissions 2.0.0)
  • Contract Pack: Kerbin-Side Jobs (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSideJobs 1.6)
  • Contract Pack: RemoteTech (ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.0.2)
  • Contract Pack: Rover Missions (ContractConfigurator-RoverMissionsRedux 0.1.3)
  • Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.4.2)
  • Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts (ContractConfigurator-UnmannedContracts 0.3.19.1)
  • Contract Parser (ContractParser 2.0)
  • Contracts Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 6.2)
  • Custom Asteroids (CustomAsteroids v1.3.0)
  • Custom Asteroids (inner stock system data) (CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Inner v1.3.0)
  • Custom Asteroids (outer stock system data) (CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Outer v1.3.0)
  • Custom Asteroids (stockalike config) (CustomAsteroids-Pops-Stock-Stockalike v1.3.0)
  • Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.7.0)
  • Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.7.0)
  • DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.2.3)
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.3)
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.1-1)
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements - Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.1-1)
  • EVAManager (EVAManager 8)
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads (ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads 5.3.0)
  • Ferram Aerospace Research (FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.6.1)
  • Filter Extensions - Default Configuration (FilterExtensionsDefaultConfig 2.5.0)
  • Filter Extensions - Plugin (FilterExtensions 2.5.0)
  • Filter Extensions - Stock Filter Rework (FilterExtensionsStockRework 2.5.0)
  • Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.2.1)
  • ForScience! (ForScience v1.3)
  • Graphic Memory Monitor (GCMonitor 1.4.1.0)
  • HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.0.0)
  • Impact! (Impact v1.4.2)
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 1.24)
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 1.24)
  • Karbonite (Karbonite 1:0.7.1.0)
  • KarbonitePlus (KarbonitePlus 0.6.1.0)
  • Karibou Rover (KaribouExpeditionRover 0.2.1.0)
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.6.1.0)
  • Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.6)
  • Kerbal Config Editor (KerbalConfigEditor v1.1)
  • Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.7)
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.1.5)
  • Kerbal Konstructs (KerbalKonstructs 0.9.5.9)
  • Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems v1.0.8)
  • Kerbodyne Plus (KerbodynePlus 1.051)
  • Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1-0-2)
  • Kronal Vessel Viewer (KVV) (KronalVesselViewer Version_0.0.4_-_1.1_Pre)
  • KSP Interstellar Extended (KSPInterstellarExtended 1.8.12)
  • Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics v2.0)
  • MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.7.0)
  • MechJeb Embedded Universal (It's Free!) (MechJebEmbeddedUniversalFree 1.3)
  • Modular Fuel Tanks (ModularFuelTanks 5.7.0)
  • Modular Rocket Systems (ModularRocketSystem 1.12.6)
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.3.0)
  • Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.23)
  • Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 0.6.0)
  • Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 0.7.0)
  • Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.7.0)
  • Near Future Electrical Extras: Decaying RTGs Patch (NearFutureElectrical-DecayingRTGs 0.7.0)
  • Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 0.7.0)
  • Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 0.6.0)
  • Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 0.6.0)
  • ORIGAMI Foldable antennas for RemoteTech 2 (origameFoldableAssets 0.9.2)
  • Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 8.0)
  • Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.2)
  • Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.16)
  • Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.2.0)
  • Progress Parser (ProgressParser 3.0)
  • RCS Sounds (RCSSounds 5.0.1)
  • RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.6.11)
  • SCANsat (SCANsat v16.0)
  • scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0244)
  • Science - Full reward! (NMSG 2.0)
  • Science Funding (ScienceFunding v1.2.1)
  • ShipManifest (ShipManifest 5.0.9.0)
  • SmartStage (SmartStage v2.9.1)
  • SpacetuxSA (SpacetuxSA 0.3.9.0)
  • TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.4.13)
  • ToadicusTools (ToadicusTools 19)
  • Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.11)
  • TweakableEverything (TweakableEverything 1.15)
  • TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.7.2)
  • Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.1.0.11)
  • USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (USI-ART 1:0.8.1.0)
  • USI Core (USI-Core 0.2.1.0)
  • USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.5.1.0)
  • USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.5.1.0)
  • USI Kolonization Core (USI-UKS-Shared 0.2.1.0)
  • USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.40.1.1)
  • USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.4.2.0)
  • USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.5.1.0)
  • USI Tools (USITools 0.7.1.0)
  • Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.5.0)

Edited by Volatar

On 4/25/2016 at 1:37 PM, Poodmund said:

Well, should work fine in 1.1, as nothing changed in Kopernicus to break it. A least, I've used it with absolutely no issue, aside from the lack of your amazingly beautiful pack :) I've instead switched over to Alternis Kerbol and edited scatterer and EVE files to fill my gorgeous scenery craving. Will you be using cubemaps for your clouds? Those poor, poor Mac users need  4k+ textures too :P

Edited by lagcity613

On 4/25/2016 at 1:37 PM, Poodmund said:

I'm also getting some weird crashes that may or may not be related to anything to do with this mod but its taking some of my time looking into it. Anyway... have a teaser...

Poodmund - shoot/post a zip and I'll be happy to test it for you to help confirm whether crashes are related to this or not.

I am pretty sure it was an issue with Kopernicus' On Demand Load of which Thomas P has already pushed a fix in the dev branch of Kopernicus. I have been running it tonight and no crashes so far so it seems its been rectified. 

As an aside, with NathanKell explaining in the KSPRC thread that 1.1.1 is to include 'fixes' to some shaders, I will have to redo all the textures and the cloud config colour/alpha settings for the pack to get the colour balance and lightness looking correct... this is a good thing though. Its best to get this out the way early rather than having to do it again later down the line. So rest assured in that this won't be coming out before 1.1.1... but it seems 1.1.1 will be coming out sooner rather than later.

Edited by Poodmund

I've been trying out some bits to get Auroras looking somewhat good... (watch in full screen 1080p :P )

Your thoughts please? :D 

EDIT: My apologies for the frame-rate and compression in the video, my internet is awful and it took 1 1/2 hours to upload this video.

Edited by Poodmund

On 5/1/2016 at 1:05 PM, Poodmund said:

I've been trying out some bits to get Auroras looking somewhat good... (watch in full screen 1080p :P )

Your thoughts please? :D 

EDIT: My apologies for the frame-rate and compression in the video, my internet is awful and it took 1 1/2 hours to upload this video.

Good grief, yes!  That is beyond what I thought was possible in KSP.  Nicely done sir! 

Please, please hurry, lol.  I think I have more angst wanting to use your mods than anything else.