Axial Aerospace Cargo Bays Mini Mod!

artwhaley

A request came up for a couple of simple cargo bays that came by themselves... and while there are great cargo bays in a lot of mod packs, I didn't see one that was exactly what the request was asking for, so I hacked them together! I even managed to avoid scope creeping until I myself had released a pack with 2 dozen bays and fairings and adapters and....

So here it is - a 1.25m cargo bay, a 2.5m cargo bay and a low-profile junior sized docking port that can go on the mid-bay attachment nodes without hanging through the hull. The 2.5m has integrated ladders inside the bay for getting around. I may someday make a couple of additional support parts - I'd like a 1.25m cargo rack that goes inside the smaller bay to make it easier to load up with science stuff... and a node mounted radial detachment separator for kicking payloads out of the bays... but... those parts are pretty low priority! The basic pieces are on curseforge at :

edited to make img tags work on the new forum!

Download Link - curseforge

eCWQnU9.png

gRyM196.png

KWBcVRW.png

RW12Uq4.png

Edited by artwhaley
updating img tags that didn't work on new forum!

Awesome!  Glad to see you getting some use out of it!  I've almost got the 3.75 unit ready to go.  

Now...  making mini-mods isn't natural for me... I have a natural disposition towards scope creep.... so stop me if you think this is unnecessary... but... would some end pieces be useful?  One bit in each size that created a nice top or bottom for the cargo bay, for times when you're attaching it to pieces that don't have a nice flush end?   Or should I leave it alone!?

Art

46 minutes ago, artwhaley said:

Awesome!  Glad to see you getting some use out of it!  I've almost got the 3.75 unit ready to go.  

Now...  making mini-mods isn't natural for me... I have a natural disposition towards scope creep.... so stop me if you think this is unnecessary... but... would some end pieces be useful?  One bit in each size that created a nice top or bottom for the cargo bay, for times when you're attaching it to pieces that don't have a nice flush end?   Or should I leave it alone!?

Art

Yes, we need those! Dtobi's now-defunct Special Parts had end caps like that and I used them for all sorts of things. Extra: put TWO nodes on each side, almost on top of each other. Eminently useful. 

And as as long as I'm begging, I've always really really wanted cargo bays like this that were also tapered, 1.25-2.5, 2.5-3.75, etc. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!.... Especially the low-profile ports... That has always nagged me how the backsides always clip thru te hull, on almost EVERY SINGLE CARGO BAY, STOCK OR MODDED, EVER MADE....Cant believe no-one has thought to remodel a low-profile port before now...

I know you dont like parts creep, but maybe add a low-profile blank radial mounting part as well?... Even if not needed for THIS mod, it would help when using OTHER cargo bays... ??

Also, @artwhaley, maybe add one more image on the OP, showing how the actual nodes are placed in the bay?

THANX for this mod!

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize how many downloads this was getting, or that it got featured on Modding Monday!  I've released an updated pack with the 3.75m cargo bay added and docking ports in both junior and full size.  I probably will add some fixed cargo bay 'ends' to the pack at some point... but I'm working on some plugin coding stuff so it may be a while before I'm really back to parts modding!

I'm used to downloading parts that only have the "parts" folder, but I'm not familiar with the "agencies" folder.  Where does that one go?

Also, thanks for making this.  I've often felt that the little service bays that come with the stock game are just too short.  http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/d/d4/ServiceBaySmallOpen.png

This way rockets can get proper storage.

Edited by PTNLemay

You can unzip the whole "Axial Aerospace"  folder into your game data directory.   You can safely delete the Agencies folder if you don't want it there-  it just adds a flag and it makes the company (Axial Aerospace) occasionally offer you contracts.  

This is soooooo weird. I just wished "I really want an axial cargo bag to stack launch my commsats" and went into the release thread... AND HERE THEY ARE. When I looked it was the top post as well.

Must have been Santa, trawling my thoughts. Thanks artwhaley... this is perfect.

On 12/2/2015 at 1:39 PM, artwhaley said:

two nodes on top of each other?  I'm not sure I understand?  Can you give me an example of how you'd use them so I know what to make them do? :)

I think he means an attachment node on the inside of both bays.  I know they'd be useful for me when I rearrange my sstos and can just move the bay with all the science stuff without any of it being in the next part

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Cargo bays with integrated ladders for laddering? Nice.

I'm updating the configs that come with ConnectedLivingSpace for Papa_Joe, and I noticed Axial Aerospace Cargo Bays is not yet supported.

What do you think, should the cargo bays be considered a passable space, or impassable?

If passable, would you like to include a CLS config into this mod itself (I can make one, given below, it's just a short ModuleManager patch), or do you think it would be better to include it with CLS?

// CLS config for Axial Aerospace Cargo Bays mini mod

// 1.25M Cargo Bay
@PART[125cbsimple]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
	}
}

// 2.5M Cargo Bay
@PART[25cbsimple]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
	}
}

Edited by Technologicat
posted CLS config

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a slight bug with the mod when it comes to setting the deploy limit.  Normally the deploy limit sets how wide you want it to open, and the closed settings stay default.  But with your cargo bay doors the setting that you change becomes the position it uses for closed.    So the doors you see in the included pic are "closed", and when it opens them it opens them all the way.  In this instance it's quite bothersome, because it means the doors rip off the tops of my nacelles.

QEMY1mT.png

It's probably an easy fix in the ini-files, but I'm not sure where it would be.  Thanks for the great mod!  Hope you can fix it soon.

Edited by PTNLemay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I post this in Kerbas_ad_astra mk1 cargo bay, but I have the problem with this pack as well so I thought I'd reach out to this group.

I need some help with mod cargo bays, including the mk1 and mk2 cargo bay from this pack.  I have a problem with open ended cargo bays having weak or non-rigid attachments to other parts (not including squad's stock mk3 cargo bay).  Squad's mk3 cargo bay is open ended, but does not have this problem.  Also the mk3 cargo bay in this pack seems to be ok.  The problem manifests in three visible ways:

1) when sandwiched between an engine below and a heavy load above, when the engine is lit you can see the engine move into the part as if it were pushing into a spring.  The total movement length is maybe 5% of the length of the engine.  This is not the case with stock parts- the engine is part of the rigid rocket structure and does not move even when at full thrust.

2) the connections to other parts appear flexible like a spring, instead of rigid like stock parts.  I will try to include a screenshot- please ignore the explosion and focus on the angle between the long engine below and the fuel tank above-- this is very hard (maybe impossible) to duplicate with stock parts, including the Squad mk3 cargo bay and the mk3 cargo bay from this pack.  What you're looking at in this screenshot is TalisarParts mk2 resized version of the Kerbas_ad_astra mk1 cargo bay, but I also have the problem with the mk1 and mk2 cargo bays in this pack.

3) The wierd spring-like non rigid connection seems to be associated with far more occurrences of the kraken, where my rockets will spontaneously vibrate themselves apart under no force.  I've also watched rockets with cargo bays land and then from nearly a standstill start to accelerate in precession until they fall apart, again under no forces.

I have noticed the problem can occur with non-cargo bay mod parts as well, such as the TalisarParts "cargo bay adapters"; these are very simple size adapters so it confounds me that they would cause this loss of rigidity problem.  Perhaps the problem has something to do with the modded part's collision mesh?  Or maybe it is the node position with respect to the collision mesh?

http://imgur.com/ANWRztOANWRztO

Has anybody else experienced this?  Any tips on solving it if so?

Thanks,

-Dune

Cargo bays don't specifically wobble any extra... Joints are less stiff when they involve large, light pieces between heavier pieces.  That describes cargo bays and decouplers alike.  It might be improved by editing .cfg files to put larger attachment node sizes on the stack nodes.  A better answer-  use the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod all the time.  It changes the game to stop being Kerbal Strut Program and start being about rockets again!

The docking ports from this mod are not working for me in KSP 1.0.5. They will not attract or connect with each other or with stock docking ports.

I can also confirm what others have reported about the cargo bays: the "deploy limit" is not limiting how far the bay doors will open but is limiting how much they will close instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.