[Invention] KGSS Continent Naming Committee

HOC

Where should Kerbin's Continents be?  

2,290 members have voted

1. 1. Where should Kerbin's Continents be?

• Map 1 (LOOK BELOW)
    • Map 2 (LOOK BELOW)
    • None of the above... or below.

Oh... ah, I see. Dammit! This IS a problem... okay, here\'s the gist.

The first poll had a duration of 7 days, from the 13th to the 20th of June. Using the in-built 'poll ends on...' option I set it to end on the 20th. Now the time has come and I have changed the poll to our new one, it seems to have given us about an hour of voting before closing it immediately... on the 20th of June.

I only realised this earlier on today...

The problem is this option Can Not Be Changed, to my knowledge. If a moderator can sort it that would be wonderful, if not we seem to have two options:

New, exclusive poll thread (making this the discussion thread)

Votes to be sent in via replies to this thread.

I know how to decide, let\'s have a poll! Oh, wait...

EDIT: After some meddling I succeeded in wiping the results of the poll. Ha, great.

Ah, so mods are capable of extending poll voting times? Wonderful, but even better would be to remove that limit completely- that way I can have much more control over ending times. Could you do that? Thanks.

To be honest, the option to remove it should really be available to the OP of the thread. Anyone know why it isn\'t?

Ah, so mods are capable of extending poll voting times? Wonderful, but even better would be to remove that limit completely- that way I can have much more control over ending times. Could you do that? Thanks.

To be honest, the option to remove it should really be available to the OP of the thread. Anyone know why it isn\'t?

You got it, there is now no limit to the time of the poll.

Indeed. Continent 6 is actually smaller than a few of Kerbin\'s islands.

The only reason I have it as a proposal is due to it being suggested earlier on in the thread, and it being met with positive feedback. I do my best to be fair...

DISCLAIMER: Many things HOC says are subject highly to (rather like polar stretching dammit!) hyperbole. All posts, bar the thread starters, are my highly biased personal opinion.

I think that there should be more islands.

More islands...? You know, we haven\'t quite got the power to change the amount of land on Kerbin... all we can do is name it! :)

Alright, here\'s the deal.

The poll was going to close on the 27th of June but, due to the fact I\'m leaving for the airport in 7 hours and need to get some sleep before then, I\'m changing it to the 29th- the day I get back.

I could just end it now, but I\'d rather get as many votes cast as possible, because at the moment we simply don\'t have enough, I feel, to call the result representative of the community.

I\'m flying out to Switzerland on a school trip with 20 class mates- we\'re going to CERN, in Geneva. I can\'t wait, it\'s going to be fantastic.

See ya guys.

So nobody gets confused I thought I would post this, These aren\'t nations.

Nations are in the archives so no one can call themselves ruler of any areas.

To clarify further, when people start talking about \'ruling area\'s\' then you\'re discussing role play. This thread is not about roleplay. It\'s about defining and naming continents in a community inclusive manner.

I think HOC is doing a great job - but we do need more voters! :sos:

To clarify further, when people start talking about \'ruling area\'s\' then you\'re discussing role play. This thread is not about roleplay. It\'s about defining and naming continents in a community inclusive manner.

I think HOC is doing a great job - but we do need more voters! :sos:

I Posted that because I saw a post earlier in the reply list about splitting up lands with someone.

\'Aight, I want to get this thread active again. Sorry about the super long wait.

After some discussion with togfox and a few others it\'s clear that the best thing to do now, seeing as we have nothing that remotely resembles a majority consensus for the first Continent Location poll, is to start the next poll.

Let\'s name some continents.

Now, this is presuming that we agree on Continents 1, 2, and 4? That majority seem to, so I\'ll continue as if they have been largely decided upon. This is the part where you guys reply with name suggestions for any one of those continents. A simple:

CONTINENT NUMBER:

NAME:

REASON:

...system shall suffice, I think. To clarify: If you want to suggest calling Continent 1 'Periculo', because it sounds cool, that\'s the info\' you\'d put in each appropriate field.

Hope that sorts some things out. I\'ll end the current poll when we have a good number of suggestions to vote upon. All this is, of course, subject to change.

Onwards! Reply, reply, reply! Last thing: Don\'t forgot to post your opinions on other people\'s suggestions, it helps us gauge the community\'s opinion. Thanks guys.

CONTINENT NUMBER: 2

NAME: Hyperborea

REASON: From wikipedia - In Greek mythology the Hyperboreans were a mythical people who lived far to the north. Their land, called Hyperborea or Hyperboria — 'beyond the Boreas' — was perfect, with the sun shining twenty-four hours a day, which to modern ears suggests a possible location within the Arctic Circle.

TWO SUGGESTIONS:

Continent one

Name: Krussia Anfrienmia

Reason: I thought it looks like an Anfrienmia!

Continent three

Name: Veiid Ivnor

Reason: Ivnor is an inside name I use to mean ice. Tons of that stuff down there!

CONTINENT NUMBER: 5

NAME: Weta

REASON: Continent shape looks like a disturbing bug (or something out of Lovecraft.) Freaky huge bug in New Zealand is called the Weta. Coincidence? Nay - Destiny!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.