When will new content for KSP be released?

MedwedianPresident

The last 5 to 10 updates have been mostly concentrating on improving performance or adding new elements to the gameplay. Sometimes a part or two or new models are added. Remember the time before 0.25 when every update brought us new parts or even new planets?

When will we get a content update? By that I mean maybe including some mods in the stock game, adding new parts or even new planets.

Sometime post new-years, according to their last "Devnote Tuesday"

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/140515-Devnote-Tuesday-Optimistic-Goals[/url]

[COLOR="#008000"]>member since 2011
>over 1000 posts
>asking for release date information
>meme arrows[/COLOR]

Come now, you surely know they aren't cool with divulging release date info and queries into it are frowned upon.

Also, 1.0.5 is still hot from the oven and included a bunch of new stuff bruh, where you been at?

Added 0.625m J-20 "Juno" Basic Jet Engine
Added 0.625m air intake: Small Circular Intake
Added 0.625m Liquid Fuel tank: Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage
Added afterburning jet engine J-404 "Panther" Afterburning Turbofan
Added giant J-90 "Goliath" Turbofan Engine
Added S3 KS-25 "Vector" Liquid Fuel Engine, with super-large gimballing range
Added Mk3 Cargo Ramp
Added Mk3 Engine Mount piece
Added Mk1 Crew Cabin, seats two
Added new Mini-ISRU part: Convert-O-Tron 125
(undocumented) Added radially mountable ore storage tank: Radial Holding Tank
(undocumented) Added mini-drill 'Drill-O-Matic Junior' Mining Excavator Edited by r4pt0r

The old updates added things like atmospheres, rover wheels, wings, more "base game" content. They cant add the VAB again, or add the heat system again. The game is +90% finished.

I'm sure theres a law about diminishing returns in software development somewhere, but I care not enough to google it for you.

Not that I dont also desire more planets. its just the game is "finished" sans some polish, and some system tweaks/balances. Edited by r4pt0r

Yeah, besides buoyancy, dozens of new parts, a new thermodynamic model with parts, ISRU, a doubling of the Kerbal genders, a revamped editor with new controls, filters, and sorting methods, a brand new aerodynamic model, and fairings to match? That's all they bothered to put in the past 5 updates. The 5 before them (you said "to 10") only added Kerbal professions, biomes, Career mode as a separate thing from Science mode (with all the additions of money, contracts, and upgradable buildings) Vernor and monoprop engines... but other than that what have they added? Asteroids? an entire new size of rocket parts, with engines, fuel tanks, and the lot? Cargo bays?

Pfft. I want CONTENT.

[quote name='5thHorseman']Yeah, besides buoyancy, dozens of new parts, a new thermodynamic model with parts, ISRU, a doubling of the Kerbal genders, a revamped editor with new controls, filters, and sorting methods, a brand new aerodynamic model, and fairings to match? That's all they bothered to put in the past 5 updates. The 5 before them (you said "to 10") only added Kerbal professions, biomes, Career mode as a separate thing from Science mode (with all the additions of money, contracts, and upgradable buildings) Vernor and monoprop engines... but other than that what have they added? Asteroids? an entire new size of rocket parts, with engines, fuel tanks, and the lot? Cargo bays?

Pfft. I want CONTENT.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I feel like I got more than my money's worth from Squad. They're basically improving the game for free now, at least as far as I am concerned, so can't complain.

80% of the game need 20% of time to complete, the other 20% need 80% of the time. KSP is almost complete, they just can't make updates anymore which make the community go crazy like "OMG, THIS TOTALLY CHANGES THE GAME AND HOW I PLAY IT!". Finetuning it is, most aspects are fairly complete now.

I suspect SQUAD finally hit the 32-bit memory usage border. They still can squeeze some new stuff in, but anyone playing with bigger mods (like part packs or cosmetic overhauls) is pushing it as it is. Add new planets, and we will run out of space for mods. Until 64-bit version arrives, we can't hope for much more content than 1.0.5 gave us already.

[quote name='Scotius']I suspect SQUAD finally hit the 32-bit memory usage border. They still can squeeze some new stuff in, but anyone playing with bigger mods (like part packs or cosmetic overhauls) is pushing it as it is. Add new planets, and we will run out of space for mods. Until 64-bit version arrives, we can't hope for much more content than 1.0.5 gave us already.[/QUOTE]
The memory problem wouldn't be a memory problem with a proper implemented memory manager/texture cache system. This wouldn't be that hard to implement. I think, that with a load-textures-only-on-demand system the memory fingerprint could be reduced to a mere 25-33% of the current load.

Currently KSP has more or less the same memory demands as Skyrim...

I think there is plenty of new content with every release. I have a wishlist—I'm sure everyone does—but the part list is pretty complete as it is for 95% of what one wants to do. The remaining 5% is usually specialized and that's what mods are for.

[quote name='Carraux']The memory problem wouldn't be a memory problem with a proper implemented memory manager/texture cache system. This wouldn't be that hard to implement. I think, that with a load-textures-only-on-demand system the memory fingerprint could be reduced to a mere 25-33% of the current load.
[/QUOTE]

But why bother? Just get the 64-bit version done.

[quote name='Carraux']But the graphics quality could be improved. As I bought the game, the game wasn't finished. Neither was the graphics. What was quite ok for that time. Now with the game being finished, the graphics could get finished too.[/QUOTE]

I think the consensus is that the game is not finished and the "1.0" was specifically to get "official" reviews and possibly console ports going.

[quote name='MedwedianPresident']The last 5 to 10 updates have been mostly concentrating on improving performance or adding new elements to the gameplay. Sometimes a part or two or new models are added. Remember the time before 0.25 when every update brought us new parts or even new planets?

When will we get a content update? By that I mean maybe including some mods in the stock game, adding new parts or even new planets.[/QUOTE]

this is the first early access game you've bought isn't it...

Well lets see the game was released in May 2015.
Most companies release content patches every 6 months or once a year.
Patches whenever they deem necessary.
Soooo ......
1.05 Came out with content in November 2015 which is about six months....
So the next content pack should come out May 2016..
Simple :sticktongue:

To be honest, I would be ecstatic if they ignored new content for the next released patch and focused on performance and core gameplay features, especially as 1.05 was mostly content slated for 1.1. We know that's not happening completely, as the new antenna system has new antenna parts slated for it, but there's going to be so much going on under the hood with the engine transition and the re-write of several major core systems, they really can't afford to have much in the way of new flashy s&%t.

[quote name='Korizan']Well lets see the game was released in May 2015.
Most companies release content patches every 6 months or once a year.
Patches whenever they deem necessary.
Soooo ......
1.05 Came out with content in November 2015 which is about six months....
So the next content pack should come out May 2016..
Simple :sticktongue:[/QUOTE]
The May 2016 part ;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.