Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

@Joco223 Yes it would. If you keep the mass the same and double the radius, surface is farther away from center of mass and thus g is lower.

Fg(surf) = G M m / R²    //Newtons law of gravitation

=> m gsurf = G M m / R²

=> gsurf = G M / R² 

gsurf = const. , G = const.

=> M / R² = const.

=> a² M / ( a R )² = const.  , a ϵ ℝ, a>0

=> When you scale R by a factor a, you need to scale M by a²

R ... parent body's radius

M ... Mass of parent body

m ... mass of second object

G ... Gravitational constant

Fg(surf) ... Gravity force on the surface acting on second object.

gsurf ... Surface gravity

Edited by Chaos_Klaus

Hm. It changes TWR at surface level ... it pretty much throws off all the engine balancing. ;)

But again: I don't even know if this mod does correct that already.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way ... KScale2 does correct for this. That's how I noticed. I was trying to calculate my way through a transfer without a delta v map available. The numbers did not add up. Orbital velocity was higher then expected.

Edited by Chaos_Klaus

42 minutes ago, Chaos_Klaus said:

Hm. It changes TWR at surface level ... it pretty much throws off all the engine balancing. ;)

But again: I don't even know if this mod does correct that already.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way ... KScale2 does correct for this. That's how I noticed. I was trying to calculate my way through a transfer without a delta v map available. The numbers did not add up. Orbital velocity was higher then expected.

I play on a 6.4 rescale and i didn't really notice anything about TWR since i use SMURFF (modifies engine's thrust and mass, tanks mases)

17 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Exactly, not even the mountains are resized by Sigma.

usually when the system resets to stock it means there is something wrong with one of the planets

could you send me the kopernicus.log file you find in the Log folder which is located inside your KSP install folder?

4 minutes ago, Chaos_Klaus said:

Ok ... well I just tried it. Sigma Dimensions actually does scale mass appropriately.

Nice mod. Way better then Kscale2 and 64k in my oppinion. :]

it all depends on what you mean by "appropriately" :D

by default mass is scaled to maintain the same gravity at surface level. there is also an option to tweak the gravity at surface level, so that anyone can get the mass they want :D

On 16/2/2016 at 8:14 PM, Chaos_Klaus said:

Am I correct in the assumption that this mod scales up the masses of the bodies by the scalefactor squared, in order to get the same surface gravity as in stock ksp?

So if I scaled things up by 2, it would scale body mass by 4. Scale by 3 and bodies would be 9 times as heavy?

On 16/2/2016 at 9:08 PM, Chaos_Klaus said:

@Joco223 Yes it would. If you keep the mass the same and double the radius, surface is farther away from center of mass and thus g is lower.

Fg(surf) = G M m / R²    //Newtons law of gravitation
=> m gsurf = G M m / R²
=> gsurf = G M / R² 
gsurf = const. , G = const.
=> M / R² = const.
=> a² M / ( a R )² = const.  , a ϵ ℝ, a>0

=> When you scale R by a factor a, you need to scale M by a²

R ... parent body's radius
M ... Mass of parent body
m ... mass of second object
G ... Gravitational constant
Fg(surf) ... Gravity force on the surface acting on second object.
gsurf ... Surface gravity

sorry for the delayed reply. idk how I managed to miss your questions before :)

anyway, as I said in the post above this one, the standard mass rescale will keep the same gravity at surface level.

but if you want you can change it using one of the parameters

Edited by Sigma88

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm working on the next release right now. If you have any feature in mind that you would like to see added to the mod, now's the time to ask
(RemoteTech compatibility is already planned)

The thing that would be most helpful, would be some basic pre-fabbed configs on the front page for some common scales like 3.2x, 6.4x, 10x, and even RSS scale, that are known to work and play well. It's difficult to figure out how to balance the rest of the game when you scale things up. I'm using SMURFF, FAR, and DeadlyReentry to avoid having to drastically scale parts up, but it's still difficult to keep everything working well. I'm not sure if and how I should be adjusting those add-ons to make them behave as expected when everything is scaled up to 6.4x scale.

Edited by curtquarquesso

8 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

The thing that would be most helpful, would be some basic pre-fabbed configs on the front page for some common scales like 3.2x, 6.4x, 10x, and even RSS scale, that are known to work and play well. It's difficult to figure out how to balance the rest of the game when you scale things up. I'm using SMURFF, FAR, and DeadlyReentry to avoid having to drastically scale parts up, but it's still difficult to keep everything working well. 

I don't play KSP enough to know which is the "correct balance", but if anyone has some good suggestions I could add them to the op.

kinda like the post by @GreenWolf

edit:

added to the OP :)

Edited by Sigma88

9 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm working on the next release right now,

if you have any feature in mind that you would like to see added to the mod, now's the time to ask

Has planet specific scaling been mentioned? If not: Planet specific scaling would be awesome2.

29 minutes ago, Boosterpack said:

You should probably update the OP to reflect that planet specific scaling were added a long time ago

hmmm you're probably right :D

this new forum makes me lazy

Edited by Sigma88

20 minutes ago, Sylandro said:

How do you get this to work with Real Solar System?

you just need to install this mod and the latest versions of kopernicus and modulemanager.

Don't use the ones redistributed by RSS since those are outdated

1 hour ago, awsumindyman said:

Does the mod properly scale the solar panel power curve?

depending on what you think is "proper" :)

the power you will get from solar panels when in orbit around kerbin will be the same regardless of the rescale factor used

or at least it was working like that the last time I checked

Edited by Sigma88

On 20/02/2016 at 8:06 PM, Joco223 said:

@Sylandro I don't know will this work with RSS, someone already asked in the thread earlier

On 20/02/2016 at 8:05 PM, Sylandro said:

How do you get this to work with Real Solar System?

I tested this, and apparently SigmaDimensions and RSS overwrite each other, leading to a stock solar system. However, after some forum trawling, this might be due to some conflict from the older version of Kopernicus that comes with RSS.

18 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

I tested this, and apparently SigmaDimensions and RSS overwrite each other, leading to a stock solar system. However, after some forum trawling, this might be due to some conflict from the older version of Kopernicus that comes with RSS.

I already asked you to provide the logs. I don't know what kind of issue you are having but I can assure you SigmaDimensions and RSS can be used together

I've tested this multiple times (even today) so either you have installed it wrong or you have other mods that create some incompatibility issue.

If you look at the OP, the gif in the album was made in RSS (Mimas and Saturn)

18 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

depending on what you think is "proper" :)

the power you will get from solar panels when in orbit around kerbin will be the same regardless of the rescale factor used

or at least it was working like that the last time I checked

By "proper" I meant it changed based on the distance rescale, not the size rescale. Anyways, thanks for answering my question.