Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

I did notice that Kerbin's atmosphere is always displaying 1 atm in the Tracking Station.  Thanks for explaining why.

Just like temperature, there is a parameter that is suppose to hold the Tracking Station display value.  It's internal name is atmospherePressureSeaLevel and its Kopernius name is staticPressureASL.  Perhaps you can factor it to get the display to show the correct pressure without it affecting engines.

At the moment, however, atmospherePressureSeaLevel isn't working as intended.  The Tracking Station appears to be showing the 0-level pressure in pressureCurve.  Temperature use to do the same thing.  I mentioned this to @NathanKell in April.  The temperature part has clearly been fixed, but it looks like pressure is still referencing the wrong parameter.  (Or perhaps Nathan decided not to change it for some reason I'm unaware of.)

I'll mention this to Nathan again and perhaps it will be changed in an upcoming patch.  In the meantime, perhaps you can get ahead of the game and add some code to Sigma Dimensions to take care of it.

Edited by OhioBob

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@OhioBob if you download the "newDimensions" branch it should contain the fix to both bugs you reported

I haven't tested the temperature fix yet, but it's pretty simple, so I expect it should work fine

Yep, it looks like that fixed both bugs.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

I did notice that Kerbin's atmosphere is always displaying 1 atm in the Tracking Station.  Thanks for explaining why.

Just like temperature, there is a parameter that is suppose to hold the Tracking Station display value.  It's internal name is atmospherePressureSeaLevel and its Kopernius name is staticPressureASL.  Perhaps you can factor it to get the display to show the correct pressure without it affecting engines.

At the moment, however, atmospherePressureSeaLevel isn't working as intended.  The Tracking Station appears to be showing the 0-level pressure in pressureCurve.  Temperature use to do the same thing.  I mentioned this to @NathanKell in April.  The temperature part has clearly been fixed, but it looks like pressure is still referencing the wrong parameter.  (Or perhaps Nathan decided not to change it for some reason I'm unaware of.)

I'll mention this to Nathan again and perhaps it will be changed in an upcoming patch.  In the meantime, perhaps you can get ahead of the game and add some code to Sigma Dimensions to take care of it.

I tried changing staticPressureASL for Kerbin to 1013.249969482 (which is roughly 10 times what it is in stock)

with no other changes I went to the tracking station to see what happened and to my surprise the atmospheric tab for kerbin was saying 0.1 atm ASL

weird

I went to check Eve's tab and it was saying 0.5 atm (should be 5 atm)

so it looks like either KSP or Kopernicus uses the "staticPressureASL" of kerbin as the definition for 1 atm

this makes sense if you consider that a civilization that uses a definition of "Atmosphere" would probably set 1 atm = whatever their homplanet pressureASL is

I'll try edit other "static" values and see what happens

If I change the staticpressure of eve nothing happens.

I guess that's what you meant before when you were talking about ksp using the value in the pressurecurve rather than the static

29 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

If I change the staticpressure of eve nothing happens.

I guess that's what you meant before when you were talking about ksp using the value in the pressurecurve rather than the static

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  The display pressure for the other planets come from pressureCurve, not staticPressureASL.  It's my understanding that that's not the way it is suppose to work, but maybe Nathan decided to keep it that way.

I never tried changing staticPressureASL for Kerbin.  It's interesting how that value apparently defines what 1 atm is.

Just now, OhioBob said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  The display pressure for the other planets come from pressureCurve, not staticPressureASL.  It's my understanding that that's not the way it is suppose to work, but maybe Nathan decided to keep it that way.

I never tried changing staticPressureASL for Kerbin.  It's interesting how that value apparently defines what 1 atm is.

so it looks like the best solution right now is to leave everything as it is, kerbin atmosphere pressure will be displayed wrongly while all other planets pressure will be defined in Earth's Atmospheres.

if in the future the display will change to the static value, then kerbin will still always have 1atm pressure, but all other planets will have their pressure defined in "Kerbin's Atmospheres" as opposed to "Earth's Atmosphere"

(notice that Kerbin's Atmospheres and Earth's Atmospheres  have the same value unless you change the pressure on kerbin)

One example that shows why I think it makes sense to link the TS info panel to staticPressureASL and temperatureSeaLevel rather than the curves comes from Real Solar System.  For the gas giants we made the pressure at the datum equal to 1000 atm, which also ran the temperature way up.  So, if the info panel is linked to the curves, looking at Jupiter we get Pressure = 1000 atm, Temperature = 1278 K.  Those are vary unfamiliar numbers; in real life temperatures are usually given at 1-bar, unless noted otherwise.  By using the separate parameters of staticPressureASL and temperatureSeaLevel, we can make the TS info panel display whatever we want.  For example, it can show something more familiar like Pressure = 1 atm, Temperature = 166 K, regardless of what the zero values of the curves are.

We'll see what @NathanKell says about it.

(edit)

Ideally, we would want to place the datum at the 1-atm level and use negative altitudes to run the pressure up to 1000-atm.  We tried this but unfortunately couldn't get it to work.  I think the plan is to eventually fix this, but I doubt it is very high on Squad's list. 

Edited by OhioBob

1 minute ago, Arget said:

I had a clean install with nothing but sigma and its dependicies, it always gets stuck on loading screen right before menu.

if you change Resize or landscape from the default (1) you will need to wait for Kopernicus to generate all the cache files for all the planets

how much did you try to wait?

Just now, Arget said:

i will try again and wait longer just to make sure.
is there any mod know to be incompatible with this ?

the only one I know for sure to be not compatible is Realistic Atmospheres but that's going to be fixed soon

but there are many mods I have never tried, so if you find some that are not compatible feel free to report it here

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

the only one I know for sure to be not compatible is Realistic Atmospheres but that's going to be fixed soon

but there are many mods I have never tried, so if you find some that are not compatible feel free to report it here

Nevermind, im a impatient moron....
It worked, just needed to wait a bit longer than i did everytime before Alt F4.
Thank you very much ^^

Great mod and is definitely essential !!  Gotta question guys...I am having a problem that FAR doesn't always generate Reynolds numbers for some crafts I make. Of course this causes no drag or aerodynamics on the craft during launch or reentry. I couldn't find anything on Ferram's forum to help me isolate this issue, and I was wondering if changing the dimensions can cause this like a atmosphere issue or something?  I've done a fresh install with minimal supporting mods for testing and I can't figure out what may be causing this random issue. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated :) Windows 7 64bit.

4 hours ago, Duckyb4 said:

Great mod and is definitely essential !!  Gotta question guys...I am having a problem that FAR doesn't always generate Reynolds numbers for some crafts I make. Of course this causes no drag or aerodynamics on the craft during launch or reentry. I couldn't find anything on Ferram's forum to help me isolate this issue, and I was wondering if changing the dimensions can cause this like a atmosphere issue or something?  I've done a fresh install with minimal supporting mods for testing and I can't figure out what may be causing this random issue. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated :) Windows 7 64bit.

I have no idea honestly, I don't know enough about FAR to make an educated guess.

which SD settings are you using?

17 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I have no idea honestly, I don't know enough about FAR to make an educated guess.

which SD settings are you using?

Thanks Sigma88, this is the SD config values I am using.  This is being applied to the SSRSS mod and rescaled to a 64K size. Just the FAR dropping out on some craft and when that happens there is no Reynolds numbers or drag ect.

Resize = 0.64
 Rescale = 0.64
 Atmosphere = 0.70

dayLengthMultiplier = 1}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
 geeASLmultiplier = 1
 landscape = 2
 atmoVisualEffect = 1
 resizeScatter = 1
 CustomSoISize = 0
 CustomRingSize = 0
 atmoASL = 1
 tempASL = 1
}

6 hours ago, Duckyb4 said:

Thanks Sigma88, this is the SD config values I am using.  This is being applied to the SSRSS mod and rescaled to a 64K size. Just the FAR dropping out on some craft and when that happens there is no Reynolds numbers or drag ect.

since you are using SSRSS maybe the issue is tied to that mod rather than SD.

I don't think anything SD does should mess with FAR....

but, as I said before, I'm not really familiar with FAR

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:36 AM, Sigma88 said:

since you are using SSRSS maybe the issue is tied to that mod rather than SD.

I don't think anything SD does should mess with FAR....

but, as I said before, I'm not really familiar with FAR

Thanks Sigma88 for confirming that is helpful. It's one less place to look to figure out why I am getting this result :)

54 minutes ago, Duckyb4 said:

I figured out why FAR wasn't working right, it was a separate mod that was conflicting and had nothing to do with Sigma Dimemsions. Thanks Sigma88 for pointing me to a different direction :wink:

no problem :)

it has been a bit quiet lately, I am still tweaking the new SD version to account for some changes that will be added to the next Kopernicus

I should be ready when the next kopernicus version gets released :wink:

10 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

In the meantime, if anyone has some bug to report I have some extra time to look at them before kopernicus gets released

Any progress on the excessive brightness in the atmosphere? I posted about it a week or so ago. Previous post had screenshots.

2 hours ago, TheAurora said:

Any progress on the excessive brightness in the atmosphere? I posted about it a week or so ago. Previous post had screenshots.

yes I have added some changes to the version I am developing to account for that, not sure I'm 100% happy with them tho

2 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Is there a solution for the orbit bug? Where if you orbit low over a planet small enough to fit within the loading space then vessels stop partway through the orbit?

never heard of this bug. is it just a temporary freeze? because that's most likely caused by ksp loading the textures needed for the planet

Just now, Sigma88 said:

never heard of this bug. is it just a temporary freeze? because that's most likely caused by ksp loading the textures needed for the planet

Basically if you go into orbit of say a 500m planet then EVA and land, What happens is that your mothership after travelling a certain distance just stops moving and when you switch to it the game registers it as landed and it becomes immobile, Any kerbals aboard are stuck aboard and all craft functions are blocked.