Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

26 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

this is not true.

so either you provide logs to get support or figure it out by yourself

I haven't learned to read minds yet, and even if I could I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be possible through the internet

I have "Resize" set to 3.2, "Rescale" set to 6.4, and "Rings" set to 3.2. The rings are still scaled to 6.4.

Question for the users of this mod.

I've used sigma dimensions to rescale and make kerbin, etc pretty close to stock size.

Kerbin orbits the Sun at just under 1 AU

Spoiler

SigmaDimensions
{
    Resize = 10.618333333333333333333333333333
    Rescale = 10.618333333333333333333333333333
    Atmosphere = 1.7142857142857142857142857142857
    dayLengthMultiplier = 4

}

and I further modify the sun, such that it has similar mass and radius to our sun:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
    {
        @Body:HAS[#name[Sun]]
        {
            @SigmaDimensions
            {
                @Resize = 2.6594036697247706422018348623853
                @geeASLmultiplier = 16
            }
        }
    }

The issue I'm facing is that the sun seems just plain small, I'm not sure if a mod like scatterer, SVE, SVT could be horking things up, or if that's just how small the sun is when viewed from earth :)

Any thoughts?

IIRC the Sun being smaller in the sky is realistic. It is pretty small IRL too, compared to the whole sky, but we don't notice it as much because the field of view of our eyes is fundamentally different from that of a virtual camera displaying on a monitor.

After making x10 rescaling everything seems fine but my space center ended up hoovering in the air . Only Airstrip is on the ground. Every other building hoover above the ground . Any ideas if it is possible to put KSC a little lower on the ground?

screenshot1.png

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

IIRC the Sun being smaller in the sky is realistic. It is pretty small IRL too, compared to the whole sky, but we don't notice it as much because the field of view of our eyes is fundamentally different from that of a virtual camera displaying on a monitor.

works for me; thanks.

6 hours ago, Karamon said:

After making x10 rescaling everything seems fine but my space center ended up hoovering in the air . Only Airstrip is on the ground. Every other building hoover above the ground . Any ideas if it is possible to put KSC a little lower on the ground?

screenshot1.png

I can't see the screenshot sorry.

I see all black

Do you have any planet packs installed?

spoilers

Spoiler

no, really... there are spoilers inside

Spoiler

you have been warned, don't come crying to me if you spoiled the surprise for yourself

Spoiler

also, don't pester me on how much time untill this will be possible.

I have no ETA, and this is a very early work in progress

Spoiler

yeah now I'm just messing with you

Spoiler

next one is the one, I promise

Spoiler

Screenshot%202016-11-28%2000.21.19.png?d

ok, so I just put on github a pre-release with a work in progress plugin that should complement SigmaDimensions to allow both repositioning and/or rescaling of PQSCity mods (= anomalies and buildings).

I would apreciate some feedback on the new feature. I'm especially interested in feedback on how this new SigmaDimensions works with @Ger_space implementation of Kerbal Konstruct.

Thanks to anyone who will help me out with this.

[Download Sigma Dimensions 0.6.9.alpha1]

Kerbal Konstructs Forum Thread:

How do the new Features work?

This pre-release has 2 new features:

1- anomalies and buildings are now moved to account for the different altitude of the terrain of a resized planet.
This feature is completely automatic and non-customizable.

2- added a new Advanced Setting "resizeBuildings".
if set to 0 (zero) anomalies and buildings will automatically be resized with the planet ("Resize" parameter)
if set to any positive number, anomalies and buildings will be resized by that number instead.

Best results will be achieved when using:

- any Resize
- landscape = 1
- resizeBuildings = 0

Edited by Sigma88

@Sigma88

I only had time to look at you sources. This are my findings:

Kerbak Konstructs uses the following settings:

pqsCity.repositionRadial = (Vector3)  //position
pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset = (float)  //height
pqsCity.repositionToSphere = true; //enable repositioning
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurface = false;
pqsCity.reorientToSphere = true;
pqsCity.sphere = ((CelestialBody)getSetting("CelestialBody")).pqsController; 

the magnitude of "repositionRadial" equals body.Radius and  "pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset" is the absolut altitude above sea level.

as you don't change the pqsCity.repositionRadial vector, buildings might end up within the Body.

26 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

@Sigma88

I only had time to look at you sources. This are my findings:

Kerbak Konstructs uses the following settings:

pqsCity.repositionRadial = (Vector3)  //position
pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset = (float)  //height
pqsCity.repositionToSphere = true; //enable repositioning
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurface = false;
pqsCity.reorientToSphere = true;
pqsCity.sphere = ((CelestialBody)getSetting("CelestialBody")).pqsController; 

the magnitude of "repositionRadial" equals body.Radius and  "pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset" is the absolut altitude above sea level.

as you don't change the pqsCity.repositionRadial vector, buildings might end up within the Body.

in my experience repositionradial gets recalculated automatically from the combinations of

pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset = (double)  // offset from the reference
pqsCity.repositionToSphere = (bool) // if true, reference is sea level
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurface = (bool) // if true, reference is ground level (has priority over repositionToSphere)
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurfaceAddHeight = (bool) // when using repositionToSphereSurface = true, offset gets added to the PQSCity altitude only if this is also true

// if both repositionRadiusOffset and repositionToSphere are false, the offset is added from the center of the planet

as soon as I have some time I'll try loading KK, I was just putting this out since some of my users have time to test at these hours and I might get a head start when I get home :D

thanks for taking a look anyways

50 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

in my experience repositionradial gets recalculated automatically from the combinations of

pqsCity.repositionRadiusOffset = (double)  // offset from the reference
pqsCity.repositionToSphere = (bool) // if true, reference is sea level
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurface = (bool) // if true, reference is ground level (has priority over repositionToSphere)
pqsCity.repositionToSphereSurfaceAddHeight = (bool) // when using repositionToSphereSurface = true, offset gets added to the PQSCity altitude only if this is also true

// if both repositionRadiusOffset and repositionToSphere are false, the offset is added from the center of the planet

as soon as I have some time I'll try loading KK, I was just putting this out since some of my users have time to test at these hours and I might get a head start when I get home :D

thanks for taking a look anyways

I tested it and you were right. the magnitude of the reference vector doesn't matter.

52 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

I tested it and you were right. the magnitude of the reference vector doesn't matter.

I have been playing with rescale a lot, but I never actually wrote any plugins. it was about time :)

If KK edits the pqsmods before my mod I don't expect any problems to arise, not more than stock ksp anyways.

there is still an issue with how Stock KSP defines their pqscity, they have an offset built into the model, and they define the position relative to the center of the planet or the sea level, which means that the buildings will load on the ground only if I use the same multipliers for buildings and planet.

if you want to change the size ratio Buildings/Planet it will mess up the altitude. which is annoying

So i downloaded the 6.9 test versions and made some testing.

I use only 10x rescaling , smaller values work ok, x10 still produce this flying ksc  . It is not very big issue unless i try to drive a rover from a launchpad cause it will fall ~10m .

1. With scale 10x and buildings x1 everything is flying except airfield that has some aditional very sloped textures around it so i can't drive under it but can drive under every other building in KSC because they have a little slopes of "grass" around them and then nothing, thin air

2. Monolith close to KSC is in the air too

3. for some reason whole KSC and the Monolith is much higher over the ground when not scaled up with the whole planet

4. Making KSC x10 is not looking good , large mk3 transport plane looks like a little toy and Vab is 2000 M high and there is not enough of zoom out to see whole KSC

http://imgur.com/a/nDx35

5. Only real issue i found with this rescaling is that Airfield is made of several sections and with x10 kerbin scale each section of the airfield (4 or 5 ) is on different height , making several bumps on the airfield. Small rovers have problems crossing them and even sometimes they broken larger planes.

6. Planes, rovers etc many times spawn "in" airfield texture, sometimes a little higher, sometimes they are "submerged" in half , once rover fallen under airfield  .When wheels are in the airfield texture vehicle can be launched quite high in to the air when physics hit

http://imgur.com/a/9kMEZ

Thanks for building rescaling cause it solved most of problems with airfield

Building rescaled 10x times are awful but are firmly on the ground , and everything is on the same level as on stock kerbin.

Scaling buildings 2 times : most of KSC is still in the air, but lower , airfield is still quite high but is now flat, there is a tiny gap between textures where each section of the airfield connects but everything moves smoothly over them. Every vessel that appear on the airfield seems to spawn corectly. Looks like x3 building scaling would solve any problems but i am not sure if i need this . x2 is nice , x1 was a bit to small for my taste and size of rockets needed for a x10 scale.

So i am happy with solution , flying buildings are not an issue , only first time when i was driving rover and fallen , and airfield is fixed thanks to building scaling

Edited by Karamon

@Karamon very good, thanks for the tests :)

some random thoughts that might or might not answer some of your points.

rescaling the buildings is basically the only way to assure 100% perfect correspondence between buildings and ground

but it's not always the best gameplay option as you pointed out, having a huge runway makes your *big* airplane look small.

the zoom should not be a problem since I'm working on a fix right now, and the rescaleBuildings is intended more for planets resized <1 rather than >1

I could make it so the "Automatic" option will use Resize when it is <1 and 1 when Resize > 1

stuff floating as I said is a result of the fact that you (a generic you, not YOU you) want to use two different multipliers for planet and buildings

specifically, since the KSC model has a ~23 meters offset built into it, and it is positioned at ~42 meters above sea level, the final result is that you get the KSC at ~65 meters

when SD scales the planet let's say 10x, the altitude becomes 650 meters

but since you don't want to change KSC size, the offset built into the model remains ~23 meters meaning that the KSC needs to be positioned at 

650-23 = 627 meters ASL

I thought I calculated the offset correctly, but I just tested it and you're right, there's a gap under the KSC.

I hope I'll be able to fix it, maybe changing how the KSC is placed

Edited by Sigma88

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I have been playing with rescale a lot, but I never actually wrote any plugins. it was about time :)

If KK edits the pqsmods before my mod I don't expect any problems to arise, not more than stock ksp anyways.

KK creates the models from the awake() call, so they are all setup when Sigma dimensions starts running. This is independent from the mod load order. 

54 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

KK creates the models from the awake() call, so they are all setup when Sigma dimensions starts running. This is independent from the mod load order. 

so now the only possible problem would be if constructs from KK have the same issue the KSC has

basically, if they have an offset built into the model or not

by any chance, do you happen to know what defines the lights on the KSC?

Edited by Sigma88

So i found what is tearing KSC apart. It is Landscape scale . If you scale everything 10 x , the planet, the buildings and landscape everything is alright but when you keep building scale lower than planet/landscape scale everything starts to fly . So i made a tests and 10x kerbin , 2x buildings and 0.2x landscape and "everything" is perfect, only 10 km high mountains look like Hobbits gonna make their homes there because they are so flat :D . I ended up with 10x scale, x2 buildings scale and x0.3 landscape (x0.4 started already a little mess in KSC) , so KSC is on the ground, airfield is not falling apart and mountais more or less resemble something that is high above the sea level . Scaling down landscape is good thing , some mountains in 0.2 scale are already 10km high so with full scale they will be 50km? somehow unnatural . Oh and i found quick check for the "balance" between landscape scale and KSC scale difference. There is pond near administration building , if water is inside the pond everything is more or less fine , if water is a square flat texture above the pond it means landscape scale is too big and is tearing KSC apart

Edited by Karamon

A feature request: scale atmosphere drawing distance (from space) with "Resize", or make it an editable setting. With 2x resize Kerbin's atmosphere disappears while still pretty close to the planet. It is also not rendered in the main menu.

10 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

so now the only possible problem would be if constructs from KK have the same issue the KSC has

basically, if they have an offset built into the model or not

by any chance, do you happen to know what defines the lights on the KSC?

maybe you can extract the offset with

GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.size

from there you should be able to calculate the offset the original placement had.

About the lights: I have no idea where they come from.

@Karamon thanks a lot for the help, is the issue still present on SD v0.6.9.alpha2 ? or was this report made with v0.6.9.alpha1?

also, what is a setting that definitely shows the issue?

would Resize 10, landscape 1, resizeBuildings 2, give problems?

PS: for now resizeBuildings automatically gets copied from the Resize, but it's just for testing purposes, in the next version the default choice will be resizeBuildings = Resize (when Resize < 1) or resizeBuildings = 1 (when Resize > 1)

@Psycho_zs it's already resized using the "Resize" parameter, but you can edit it using the Advanced Parameter "atmoVisualEffect" (which is additional multiplier)

@Ger_space thanks!

@Quodios Kerman if the vessels have been saved into a stock-sized system and then you load the save on a resized system then it's normal for vessel to jump around, since ksp stores "landed = true" but also the altitude, and when loading a landed vessel, firstly ksp puts the vessel at the saved altitude, and then if it has "landed = true" it moves the vessel to the surface.

if you are not loading old saves, then I don't think there's anything I can do about it, it's probably just a result of how saving and loading works

Edited by Sigma88