Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

7 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Kopernicus 1.3.0-3 broke compatibility with SD/SB/GN/SASS

please use 1.3.0-2 with my mods, or don't use my mods if you want to upgrade to latest kopernicus

So that's what happened.  I was trying to narrow down the culprit. 

Sigma Dimensions v0.8.1

Updated to the latest Kopernicus

all the links are available in the OP

If you want to follow the development of my mods:  Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png 

This mod would not be possible without the work of:

- sarbian (ModuleManager)       
- Thomas P. (Kopernicus)      

Changelog:

v0.8.1

- Updated to Kopernicus 1.3.0-4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I'm doing a new KSP 1.2.2 install, which version of Sigma Dimensions and Kopernicus should I be using?

from the changelog I'd say v0.7.7 but I don't remember for certain

EDIT:

about kopernicus I'm not sure, there is a version that broke compatibility, I think the last compatible with SD v0.7.7 was either 1.2.2-5 or 1.2.2-6 (maybe even 1.2.2-7)

Edited by Sigma88

I am still curious, what does atmoTopLayer do differently than just using Atmosphere by itself?

Simple example, setting Atmosphere to 1.5 is about the same as setting both parameters to 1.25 - but what does change lets say for an atmosphere of 100km with a pressure curve of (alt in km : pressure)
    0 : 1.0
  25 : 0.8
  50 : 0.4
  75 : 0.2
100 : 0.0

when using only the one or both parameters?

Edit: Hold! Will check this one out first, only just stumbled across it! :)

Edited by KerbMav

36 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

I am still curious, what does atmoTopLayer do differently than just using Atmosphere by itself?

Simple example, setting Atmosphere to 1.5 is about the same as setting both parameters to 1.25 - but what does change lets say for an atmosphere of 100km with a pressure curve of (alt in km : pressure)
    0 : 1.0
  25 : 0.8
  50 : 0.4
  75 : 0.2
100 : 0.0

when using only the one or both parameters?

Edit: Hold! Will check this one out first, only just stumbled across it! :)

this is probably the easies way to visualize the effect:

@Sigma88

Where exactly does atmoTopLayer start thinning it out to the top? Kerbin's pressure curve ends in zero, should Atmosphere not "stretch" the curve anyway?

I tried to make sense of the configs and source code, but what did I expect to understand as a non-programmer ... so I could not identify/read the underlying math. :/

Sidenote:
Problem with your example graphs that I have is that you change the scale of the x axis, and they do not end in zero as the original curves seems to "predict", also there is no "mixed" graph showing the combined effect of both parameters.

3 hours ago, KerbMav said:

@Sigma88

Where exactly does atmoTopLayer start thinning it out to the top? Kerbin's pressure curve ends in zero, should Atmosphere not "stretch" the curve anyway?

basically, when a curve ends with pressure = 0, SD counts the last point as "finisher", so it removes the last point and processes the curve using atmoTopLayer without that point

and after having finished it restore the "finisher" at the new altitude so that the curve still finishes with zero pressure

Problem with your example graphs that I have is that you change the scale of the x axis

I change the scale on the x axis only for the "Atmosphere" parameter, because that's exactly how the Atmosphere parameter works. it keeps the same pressure values, but changes the altitudes.

(as opposed of atmoTopLayer that only extends or trims the curve)

also there is no "mixed" graph showing the combined effect of both parameters.

when Atmosphere and atmoTopLayer are used together, Atmosphere is applied first, and atmoTopLayer second

I just cant make it work on 1.2.2; I'm on linux with a fresh install, only a couple of part pack mods and FAR

I tried different scales and update kopernicus... nothing

maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Edited by Ricardo.b

8 minutes ago, Ricardo.b said:

I just cant make it work on 1.2.2; I'm on linux with a fresh install, only a couple of part pack mods and FAR

I tried different scales and update kopernicus... nothing

maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Make sure you actually have the 1.2.2 versions of the mods - some are available for 1.3 now and they are not backwards compatible.

34 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Make sure you actually have the 1.2.2 versions of the mods - some are available for 1.3 now and they are not backwards compatible.

downgraded kopernicus and it worked, thank you!

1 hour ago, Ricardo.b said:

downgraded kopernicus and it worked, thank you!

as I previously said, the latest versions known to work together on KSP 1.2.2 are SD v0.7.7 and Kopernicus 1.2.2-6

there is a chance that more recent versions could be compatible, but I haven't tried it since I don't really support older KSP versions once I moved on

Sigma Dimensions v0.8.2

This update improves the stability of SD. No new features but now it should be more difficult to get nullrefs or mm errors.

It also improves the ExternalGroups feature to allow for better compatibility

all the links are available in the OP

If you want to follow the development of my mods:  Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png 

This mod would not be possible without the work of:

- sarbian (ModuleManager)       
- Thomas P. (Kopernicus)      

Changelog:

v0.8.2

- Improved loading of SigmaDimensions Settings
- Improved loading of ExternalGroups
- Improved debugging tools

Edited by Sigma88

17 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Hey @Sigma88, does this allow me to change sea level on planets, or is that something I'd have to do with Kopernicus?

kopernicus

and rather than changing the sealevel you need to change the altitude of the terrain, because sea level is always at zero meters over sea levels (like you would expect :D )

1 minute ago, Quodios Kerman said:

sun flare of scatterer does not correctly rescaled by this mod. if i set rescale and resize to 6.4, sun flare just disappears, and when i change its value to 1, it works again. i'm using ksp 1.3, scatterer experimental version, and no other mods. it is easy to reproduce, so maybe will not need log file

Last time I looked at scatterer it didn't even take mm inputs, but I think thigs have changed now. I'll try taking a second look

I came to know this mod trhrou Toy Solar System, the Kopernicus-base mod which rescales everything to 1/10, which I wanted to use in order to have my kids play with KSP.

However TSS is somehow broken cause:

- the atmosphere layer is so thin (7,000m) that it is even impossible to use parachutes.

- the unscaled buildings have a horrible look on the planet: the KSC is literally touching the insland runway

- mun and other surfaces look horrible cause the mod exaggerates some features.

However, installing Sigma I could mimic TSS with better results: my settings were

- Resize = 0.1 (as TSS?)
- Rescale = 0.1 (as TSS?)
- Atmosphere = 0.3 (21,000m, so parachutes will work)
- resizeBuildings = 0.3 (runway is still tiny but this way everything looks great)

Landscape is still wild as in TSS but not that wild. Craters looks good.

Any more suggestions? I can't find a usage explanation of all options.

Thanks for the great mod!

7 hours ago, monamipierrot said:

Landscape is still wild as in TSS but not that wild. Craters looks good.

since you only change Resize the planets should look exactly like in stock, just smaller. iirc TSS had exagerated terrain, so you might want to try using lanscape = 1.5 or 2

the rest of the settings looks fine, if you want an explanation of all the settings you can look at the README.txt file you will find in GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/

or you can click the links in the OP that will redirect you to an explanation page

Edited by Sigma88

On 5/7/2017 at 9:08 AM, Sigma88 said:

since you only change Resize the planets should look exactly like in stock, just smaller. iirc TSS had exagerated terrain, so you might want to try using lanscape = 1.5 or 2

the rest of the settings looks fine, if you want an explanation of all the settings you can look at the README.txt file you will find in GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/

or you can click the links in the OP that will redirect you to an explanation page

thanks! Didn't get there was a link! ;D

I was fiddling around with the mod and I have found a satisfying solution (at least for Kerbin) to mimic Toy Solar System:

// Base Settings

Resize = 0.1
	Rescale = 0.1
	Atmosphere = 0.3
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1

// Advanced Settings

landscape = 3
	geeASLmultiplier = 1

resizeScatter = 1
	resizeBuildings = 1
	groundTiling = 1

CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0

atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
	atmoTopLayer = 1
	atmoVisualEffect = 3

scanAltitude = 1

This solution:

• resizes the Kerbol system to 1/10
  • Gives a atmosphere of 21,000m which is also in scale with terrain height (works perfectly with EVE) AND is still manageable for reentry. (need to be checked better)
  • keep all buildings the natural size (but due to scaled down heights, island is not connected with KSC althou still VERY close). So the runway is still huge (important for kids or casual players)
  • some easter eggs may be unreachable or "flying"
  • didn't check most bodies, and didn't check asteroids
  • didn't check the DAYLENGTH thing.

Still I don't understand the difference between "atmoTopLayer" and "atmosphere" settings.

1 hour ago, monamipierrot said:

Still I don't understand the difference between "atmoTopLayer" and "atmosphere" settings.

it's a different way to change the atmosphere.

Atmosphere simply stretches (or compresses) the atmospheric curve to fit in the new height

atmoTopLayer instead extrapolates the foruma of the curve and elongates it (or trims it) to match the new altitude

4 hours ago, monamipierrot said:

Still I don't understand the difference between "atmoTopLayer" and "atmosphere" settings

I saw @Sigma88 post this the other day and it really helped me wrap my head around it better.

atmoTopLayerExplained.png?dl=1

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

I saw @Sigma88 post this the other day and it really helped me wrap my head around it better.

atmoTopLayerExplained.png?dl=1

GREAT! This explains a lot of things and I think it comes perfectly handy for my purpose, which is both resize the atmosphere AND make it a little bit thickier in the toplayer to help crafts slow down on reentry before using chutes. (My goal is to have a atmosphere around 30% higher than original in a tiny 10% resized general environment as explained before)

Question is: can I use BOTH atmospheric settings like this?:

- setting atmoTopLayer to the desired atmosphere height (so value should be 3 cause when multiplied with the resized factor it gives 0.3)

- setting atmosphere setting to a higher level e.g. the double i.e. "6" so in the top layer the atmosphere will be not that thin. (Around the double the pressure?)

Thanks!

After stumbling upon the "quarter scale RSS" mod, I realized that its root concept is exactly what I want: A somewhat more difficult solar system (especially for endgame mods such as KSPI), without going the full tediousness of RSS, but I really like the stock solar system (with OPM). Then stumbled upon your gem of a mod that not only allows to easily scale it on my own, but also fine-tune the relevant aspects.

Amazing idea, amazing implementation. Thank you for it! It's like playing the game for the first time again :) .

Still got a question, because I'm  not good with physics & maths: What values would constitute a true 2.5x scaled stock system? Including gravity, atmosphere etc.?

And is there a way I can can calculate rough deltaV needs (e.g. everybody knows that 4k m/s are enough for stock orbit, but how much would I need in a 2.5 rescale?)