Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

1 hour ago, kubi said:

Hi,

I'm not sure what causes my problem, but I suspect Sigma Dimensions / Kopernicus / Galileo Planet Pack or their combinations killing my main menu. It is impossible to click on any of the menu items, while other menus (scatterer or loading screen configurator) on the same main screen work fine.

I have a fresh install of KSP 1.3.1, but I have seen exactly the same with 1.3.0 some months ago. Now, I have Galileo Plantet Pack installed (via ckan), in KSP 1.3.0 I have tried RSS and Galieo as well.

KSP 1.3.1 Vanilla - works fine

KSP 1.3.1 + rescale 2.5 (Kopernicus rel-1.3.1-2, ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0, Module Manager 2.8.1, Rescale x2.5 1.0.2.7, Sigma Dimensions 0.9.5) - works fine

KSP 1.3.1 + Galileo (galileo pack 1.5.3, no rescale, no sigma) - works fine

KSP 1.3.1 + Galileo (galileo pack 1.5.3, no rescale, sigma installed) - works fine

KSP 1.3.1 + Galileo rescaled (galileo, rescale x2.5, sigma installed) - dead menu

KSP 1.3.0  RSS with real scale (cannot remember mods and versions) - dead menu

Config: KSP 1.3.1 64bit, Debian Linux (testing), i7, 8GB RAM, nvidia 1050ti (earlier 560ti)

I have searched through the forum topics of the main mods above, but no similar case.

I have not seen any relevant error message in the logs either.

please click the nyan cat in my sig and follow the instructions, they will guide you through the process of collecting all the files I need to debug this issue :D

thanks

btw, RSS doesn't use SD, so it might be an issue unrelated to SD

Edited by Sigma88

9 hours ago, kubi said:

Hi,

Collected all the files here: https://home.hvt.bme.hu/~kubi/ksp/FilesToDebug.tgz

I wasn't able to find any indiaction of what your problem might be

but I've tried to download SigmaDimensions + Rescale 2.5 via CKAN on a stock install and it works

so your issue is probably due to a bad interaction either with linux (and I have no way to know that since I have no linux machines) or with one of the mods you installed

I would suggest you to start from a clean install and check if that works, and if it works, slowly add back the other mods 

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

but I've tried to download SigmaDimensions + Rescale 2.5 via CKAN on a stock install and it works

so your issue is probably due to a bad interaction either with linux (and I have no way to know that since I have no linux machines) or with one of the mods you installed

I would suggest you to start from a clean install and check if that works, and if it works, slowly add back the other mods 

I've never heard of KSP mods having Linux-specific problems; if KSP runs it runs.  Definitely do a clean install.

Just now, lordcirth said:

I've never heard of KSP mods having Linux-specific problems; if KSP runs it runs.  Definitely do a clean install.

plenty of mods have linux specific problems, namely: windows is not case sensitive so if something has the wrong case somewhere the mod won't load on linux

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

plenty of mods have linux specific problems, namely: windows is not case sensitive so if something has the wrong case somewhere the mod won't load on linux

Oh I'm sure there's ways you could do it; but as a player who doesn't generally run betas I haven't encountered any.

Is there a setting to turn off repositioning of Kerbal Konstruct PQS statics? I'm trying to create my own bases for a 10x rescale, but when I place them and restart the game they're floating high in the air. Or preferably omitting some statics/groups.

Also, I tracked down the problems with KSP GPP  rescales and Linux: KSC++. Deleting that folder under GPP removes the problem.

Edited by Citizen247

1 hour ago, Citizen247 said:

Is there a setting to turn off repositioning of Kerbal Konstruct PQS statics? I'm trying to create my own bases for a 10x rescale, but when I place them and restart the game they're floating high in the air. Or preferably omitting some statics/groups.

Also, I tracked down the problems with KSP GPP  rescales and Linux: KSC++. Deleting that folder under GPP removes the problem.

you need to build your base on the normal size planet. then SD will rescale it to the selected size

to make it easier to get a good result you should also use KKtoSD so that the statics are kept together nicely

Hi,

I'm trying to make my own Kopernicus configs, and because Bop & Gilly are a pain to rescale with Kopernicus I want to use Sigma Dimensions to rescale them. Problem is, I want their rescaling to be applied on top of Galileo's Rescale configs , so that they will be scaled up by Rescale, and adjusted down by my own rescaling. (E.g. If I want to make Gilly 0.8x smaller than usual, I want it to load after Rescale to multiply it's rescale of Gilly by 0.8x in order to put it back to my desired scaling.)

10 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Hi,

I have started from a clean install. Now I have two installs: one that works with a re-scaled Galileo and one that does not.

The latter one has more mods (62 vs 54), but installing mods one by one to see where it breaks.

Another thing that I suspect is the order of installation/run. The one that does not work has been used for some days without re-scaling, then I installed 2.5x. Maybe something is cached and not cleaned up properly for re-scale...

So, now Kerbel-Konstructs kills the menu.

In the link below you can find the same game install with lots of mods. The only difference is Kerbal-Konstructs.

https://home.hvt.bme.hu/~kubi/ksp/KSP_DeadMenu_20171104_0830.tgz

I tried multiple times installing and removing with CKAN. Whenever it is installed, the menu is dead, but when removed, the menu works again.

Might be of course some sort of issue with memory limit, however I have 8 GB RAM and not 4GB of swap just in case...

I will try with a much more small mod set and report back soon.

----- EDIT -------

Here, I found something :)

From Citizen 247:

EDIT: On further investigation, it's definitely something to do with GPP's KSC++ settings. Deleting that folder from GPP removes the issue entirely.
EDIT EDIT: It looks like it's a problem specifically with Linux, same machine running windows doesn't have the problem.

-------

Confirmed. Generating logs...

------

https://home.hvt.bme.hu/~kubi/ksp/KSP_DeadMenu_GPP_KSC++.tgz

------

Locating the files...

GameData/GPP/GPP_KSC++/Anomalies/DeadKraken.cfg and IceHenge.cfg are the two errorneous files.

-------

So I need all:

1. Galileo Planet Pack with GameData/GPP/GPP_KSC++/Anomalies/DeadKraken.cfg and IceHenge.cfg
  2. Sigma Dimensions
  3. Rescale 2.5x
  4. Kerbal-Konstruct

In case any of these is missing, the main menu works fine.

Edited by kubi

21 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

you need to build your base on the normal size planet. then SD will rescale it to the selected size

to make it easier to get a good result you should also use KKtoSD so that the statics are kept together nicely

I was hoping to be able to place the bases in the resized planet because it's the only way to really know what the ground is like after the rescale in stock. I might try placing them in a stripped down rescale, bringing them into a stock game to get the altitude and reloading into the resized game to see how that works.

13 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

I was hoping to be able to place the bases in the resized planet because it's the only way to really know what the ground is like after the rescale in stock. I might try placing them in a stripped down rescale, bringing them into a stock game to get the altitude and reloading into the resized game to see how that works.

SD contains a lot of math to reposition all PQSCity around a planet

the best way to create a PQSCity pack is to make it work on the un-resized planet. *

the alternative is to setup everything on the resized planet and then manually change the altitudes using the reverse of the formula used by SD, so that after SD has processed it the numbers will be restored.

with this method however you cannot use PQSCity_Groups, which means that the LAT/LON position will not be corrected between rescales

(let me know if you want to do this so I can provide you the math)

the only exception to this rule is for PQSCity_Groups centered around the KSC on a planet pack that moves the KSC, those need to be designed on the un-resized planet but in the original position of the KSC

Edited by Sigma88

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

SD contains a lot of math to reposition all PQSCity around a planet

the best way to create a PQSCity pack is to make it work on the un-resized planet. *

Sure, but I'm only really interested in placing bases for a 10x scale, and the terrain changes so much that there's no way of reliably setting bases in stock for that.

the alternative is to setup everything on the resized planet and then manually change the altitudes using the reverse of the formula used by SD, so that after SD has processed it the numbers will be restored.

with this method however you cannot use PQSCity_Groups, which means that the LAT/LON position will not be corrected between rescales

(let me know if you want to do this so I can provide you the math)

That would be awesome thank you. I'm guessing that I could write configs that would automatically apply that fix to only my bases before Sigma runs in that case?

2 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

the terrain changes so much that there's no way of reliably setting bases in stock for that.

how does the terrain change?

SD should preserve shapes correctly

2 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

That would be awesome thank you. I'm guessing that I could write configs that would automatically apply that fix to only my bases before Sigma runs in that case?

not sure about that, I think you might need to edit them manually. 

as soon as I get some time I'll explain the math

56 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

how does the terrain change?

SD should preserve shapes correctly

not sure about that, I think you might need to edit them manually. 

as soon as I get some time I'll explain the math

Well, not so much that shapes change, but a tiny puddle becomes a huge lake. A tiny sandbar becomes a large island. A place that's good for a runway at 10x, is too small for a helipad at stock. That makes it hard to place things if they're meant to be used at a larger resize. Plus to prevent mountains, that on Kerbin are already pretty high compared to Earth, poking out of the atmosphere the planet is scaled by 10x but the landscape is scaled by 2.5x, so the height/width relationship is also different.

In the Kerbal side pack, for instance, there's a mountain observatory that in stock has stairs from a lower area to the observatory at the peak. In the resize the stairs and lower portion are underground because the cliff face is now further away. That's no failing in sigma dimensions obviously, it's just the nature of the beast. 

5 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

Well, not so much that shapes change, but a tiny puddle becomes a huge lake. A tiny sandbar becomes a large island. A place that's good for a runway at 10x, is too small for a helipad at stock. That makes it hard to place things if they're meant to be used at a larger resize. Plus to prevent mountains, that on Kerbin are already pretty high compared to Earth, poking out of the atmosphere the planet is scaled by 10x but the landscape is scaled by 2.5x, so the height/width relationship is also different.

In the Kerbal side pack, for instance, there's a mountain observatory that in stock has stairs from a lower area to the observatory at the peak. In the resize the stairs and lower portion are underground because the cliff face is now further away. That's no failing in sigma dimensions obviously, it's just the nature of the beast. 

ideally, you want to fix LAT/LON on the big planet, and then go to the stock size for regulating altitude

Next set of (probably) stupid questions:

So I tried to place statics in an unresized Kerbin and then bring them into a 10x rescale with KKtoSD.

Is Sigma Dimensions supposed to preserve altitude as well as position between KK statics? It seems to sometimes do it and sometimes not:
ePNbveh.png

The taxi way is flush with the runway when I placed them, but several metres higher in the 10x resize.

WlCkggq.png

Similarly, the runways, hangars and arcology are at about the same height relative to the base static as they were when placed. The other buildings, however, are lower in some cases significantly.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@Citizen247 sorry, I thought I had replied to you but I totally forgot...

I would need to take a look at your statics, could you please add "debug = true" inside the sigma dimensions settings node and run the game with the 10x resize?

then send me the mm cache file, the output log and the KK statics you added 

@Citizen247 I released a new version of SD, it contains changes to how statics are replaced

hopefully, this new approach should give a better result

let me know if you are still having issues 

Hey, sorry been busy, meant to get back to you :/. I'll try it out ASAP and let you know. Thanks.

Hi

I had installed

KSP 1.3.1 + rescale  10.6 (Kopernicus rel-1.3.1-2, ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0, Module Manager 2.8.1, Rescale x10.6 1.0.2.7, Sigma Dimensions 0.9.5,Galileo,TextureReplacerReplaced) 

For some reasons I have water on Kerbin in places where it shouldn't be .Everything looks fine but when I'm landing I got a splash. Occasionally when reloading space centre screen ,it's happen to be under water, anyone encountered similar issue ??

7 minutes ago, dakhr said:

Hi

I had installed

KSP 1.3.1 + rescale  10.6 (Kopernicus rel-1.3.1-2, ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0, Module Manager 2.8.1, Rescale x10.6 1.0.2.7, Sigma Dimensions 0.9.5,Galileo,TextureReplacerReplaced) 

For some reasons I have water on Kerbin in places where it shouldn't be .Everything looks fine but when I'm landing I got a splash. Occasionally when reloading space centre screen ,it's happen to be under water, anyone encountered similar issue ??

That’s a known scatterer bug. It has nothing to do with sigma dimensions or the other mods you have listed.

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That’s a known scatterer bug. It has nothing to do with sigma dimensions or the other mods you have listed.

I experienced the flooded KSC the other night without Scatterer and with the latest SigDim & 10xRESCALE. Not very many other mods installed. I was waiting to have it happen again to make a report.

Entering and leaving a building send get rid of it.