Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

I've added an Imgur album with some cool pics to the OP

Spoiler

Sigma Dimensions v0.3 is basically ready, I am waiting to release it because I want to get the Volumetric Clouds from EVE to resize properly.

If anyone has some feature to request or bugs to report just post here so I know what to add in the meantime.

for those who can't wait, you can download the dev.version here

11 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@MrMeeb ok, the dev.version is updated now.

It now rescales EVE clouds correctly (it was a stupid typo on my cfg :D )

for now it just rescale the 2D clouds, I am not sure how to rescale the volumetric clouds :\

Awesome :) I think volumetrics are definitely of a lower importance anyway, seeing as most people play from orbit where they aren't even visible so 

25 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Awesome :) I think volumetrics are definitely of a lower importance anyway, seeing as most people play from orbit where they aren't even visible so 

when you have time, could you try out the latest dev.version (link is in my previous post)?

go specifically to the volumetric clouds and see how they feel...

and then could you add this cfg into your gamedata folder and try again?

I think this may solve the rescale problems :)

thanks

---

@Mr Betelgeuse you should be able to get taller mountains on Mars using this mod :) but the changes will affect all planets, I have yet to come up with a way to limit the rescale only to certain planets

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

when you have time, could you try out the latest dev.version (link is in my previous post)?

go specifically to the volumetric clouds and see how they feel...

and then could you add this cfg into your gamedata folder and try again?

I think this may solve the rescale problems :)

thanks

---

@Mr Betelgeuse you should be able to get taller mountains on Mars using this mod :) but the changes will affect all planets, I have yet to come up with a way to limit the rescale only to certain planets

Not entirely clear on the instructions...I download the newest version and see how it looks, then add...what cfg to my gamedata folder?

4 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Not entirely clear on the instructions...I download the newest version and see how it looks, then add...what cfg to my gamedata folder?

lol I forgot to put the link of the cfg :D

this is the dev.version

and this is the additional cfg

try the dev.version alone, and then the dev.version + the cfg

to install the cfg just put it anywhere in the gamedata folder

Upfront it does not appear to be working (clouds still aren't scaling it all). I'm gonna try a couple things and see if it's an error on my part

Quick note...in its current space, the settings do not work unless I restore the spacing. When you download it, it is all one line of code, and so is made redundant by the // right at the start. It might be the case for all the other parts of the code...that might be breaking things?

Edited by MrMeeb

4 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Upfront it does not appear to be working (clouds still aren't scaling it all). I'm gonna try a couple things and see if it's an error on my part

Quick note...in its current space, the settings do not work unless I restore the spacing. When you download it, it is all one line of code, and so is made redundant by the // right at the start. It might be the case for all the other parts of the code...that might be breaking things?

nah, that's just because you're probably opening it with notepad (I guess)

if you use notepad++ or wordpad it should show the correct indentation

regarding the clouds, are you sure you are not still using the old config structure?

last version of SVE is working fine for me

32 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I'm downloading the most up to date version of SVE and putting it into an absolutely brand new KSP install. I'm determined to get this to work how it should!

I think I may have found the solution :D

I'll upload it after dinner

coWZT1C.png

Okay, the cloud rescaling is now working. However, when changing the values to get a 6.4 scale, modulemanager gets two errors, and the clouds were the right scale but the planets were not:

YCEolYm.png?1

After reinstalling modulemanager, the errors are still given, but the scaling works as it appears it should (other than crazy scatterer ocean artifacts, but I wouldn't think that's your concern :D

With regards to the volumetric clouds, before I added the cfg they seemed very small and kind of far away (16000m just feels too far away), but after the cfg they looked much larger and fluffier, which compensated for the new altitude and generally looked much better :)

good news :D

Sigma Dimensions v0.3.0

With this, the mod is pretty near to what I indended to do with it. So I'd say an official release may be near :)

Changelog:

v0.3.0

- Removed 'HeightColorFix' parameter
- Removed 'SoIsFromRadius' parameter
- Removed 'RingsFromRadius' parameter
- Added 'atmoVisualEffect' parameter
- Added 'landscape' parameter
- Added 'CustomSoISize' parameter
- Added 'CustomRingSize' parameter
- Fixed bug with extremely low Resize
- Fixed Atmosphere height rendering
- Fixed HeightColorMap issue
- Changed Cache file folder structure
- Fixed cfg file names for Linux compatibility
- Fixed EVE Clouds resizing
- Planet Specific Changes are now allowed

Download links in the OP

Credit to @Nhawks17 for his tips that helped me choose how to rescale EVE clouds.

Edited by Sigma88

6 minutes ago, TheAurora said:

Fantastic work Sigma88! This is just what I was looking for! 10x Kerbin here I come!

let me know if you like it and/or if you have any problems with it :)

Edited by Sigma88

Weeeeeeeeee :D 

areFuRc.png

If I could offer my opinion, I think that you should be able to choose what scale the clouds are rescaled to, say as an advanced option in the settings. Here, as the clouds look a tad too high (and I'm using a landscape setting of 0.5), I would probably put the multiplier at 6. Just my opinion :) 

But great great mod! :D 

44 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Weeeeeeeeee :D 

If I could offer my opinion, I think that you should be able to choose what scale the clouds are rescaled to, say as an advanced option in the settings. Here, as the clouds look a tad too high (and I'm using a landscape setting of 0.5), I would probably put the multiplier at 6. Just my opinion :) 

But great great mod! :D 

First of all, I'm happy you like it :D

Regarding the clouds, I am trying to not add too much parameters to the mod, I don't want it to become too complex...

since changing the altitude of those clouds is pretty simple I don't think I will add that option

you can just save this in a .cfg file and keep it in your gamedata folder

@EVE_CLOUDS
{
	@OBJECT,*
	{
		@altitude *= 2
	}
}

this config will multiply the altitude of clouds by 2

keep in mind that SigmaDimensions by default multiplies the EVE clouds altitude by "Resize", so if you have resize = 4 but you want to multiply the original altitude by 6, you will need to write 1.5 in the cfg ( 4*1.5 = 6 )

or in your case, since Resize is 6.4 and you want the clouds to be resized by 6, you will need to write 0.9375

Edited by Sigma88

4 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

First of all, I'm happy you like it :D

Regarding the clouds, I am trying to not add too much parameters to the mod, I don't want it to become too complex...

since changing the altitude of those clouds is pretty simple I don't think I will add that option

you can just save this in a .cfg file and keep it in your gamedata folder

@EVE_CLOUDS
{
	@OBJECT,*
	{
		@altitude *= 2
	}
}

this config will multiply the altitude of clouds by 2

keep in mind that SigmaDimensions by default multiplies the EVE clouds altitude by "Resize", so if you have resize = 4 but you want to multiply the original altitude by 6, you will need to write 1.5 in the cfg ( 4*1.5 = 6 )

or in your case, since Resize is 6.4 and you want the clouds to be resized by 6, you will need to write 0.9375

Okay, I understand your reasoning. It's probably for the better :P

Thank you :) 

4 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

Any configs for the surfaces of 64k? I really dislike the flat nature of the planets in the 64k mod, and I was wondering if this mod fixes that issue.

you can use this mod instead of 64k to rescale the kerbol system and any planet pack you desire but you can't use it alongside with 64k yet.

Since this mod is not designed with a specific rescale in mind it doesn't add some of the features 64K adds (new textures, part scaling, career balancing...)

I've already contacted @Paul Kingtiger and he seemed interested, maybe in the future 64k will use SigmaDimensions to handle the rescale and will take care of the rest in it's configs.

anyway, if you want to try and see what a rescaled system looks with sigmadimensions to get the rescale similar to 64k I would suggest to try these parameters:

Resize = 6.4
Rescale = 6.4
Atmosphere = 1.32
dayLenghtMultiplier = 4

geographical features on all planets will be rescaled to match the increased radius (6.4 times) if you find that too much you can tweak it by using the "landscape" parameter. landscape is 1 by default (which means mountains are rescaled by "Resize * 1") to get lower mountains use a lower landscape (for example landscape = 0.5)

Edited by Sigma88

6 minutes ago, Fisk02 said:

The part when structures looks extremely large and planets extremely small XD

hehe :)

I post mainly those screenshots because they look goofy and are much more interesting than a 6.4k kerbin screenshot (which is impossible to distinguish from a 1x kerbin screenshot)

But I guess the majority of players will use this mod to increase the size of planets because that increases the challenge in playing KSP :D

luckly there's @GregroxMun that likes to mess around on small planets, you should take a look at some of his video over on twich

Edited by Sigma88

2 things:

1. The Sigma Dimensions wouldn't even load, with 300 errors. Mainly in the cfgs that aren't settings. EVE installed and so was SigmaBinary at the time. And you know what MM and output logs are like, nil except found errors in blah blah. I'll try reinstall when I get time to.

2. Off topic, but where do you get the graphics for downloads and ckan and all at the top of the OP?