[WIP][BETA] Captain to the Bridge! (Testers Needed)You are now free to move about the cabin

Kalzuron

I don't know about everyone else, but I really want to get out of my Command chair and stretch my legs during a long flight. Currently the only way to do this is to leave your ship (at least so far as I have found) even though some pods are quite roomy. This project is aimed at remedying this problem and hopefully adding some interesting new parts.

What I've done so far:

The Command Chair

Basically, this is a very minimal command pod. Still working out the black background in portrait cam.

Mk3 Bridge conversion

The Bridge is a hollow probe core so you can leave your seat without losing functionality of your ship. The Command Chair uses RasterPropMonitor's transparent pod so you can see the kerbals.
If anyone wants the blender or unity files to take a look or offer help on this project let me know.

Update:

Just uploaded the Mk3 Bridge and Science Cabin as well as the 4 command chairs, a hatch that fits in between stacked parts and an airlock that can be added to any hollow structure. I can't seem to get Open broadcaster to work, so if any one wants to post a video of them trying it out I'd really appreciate it.

Kerbal Stuff: Captain to the Bridge

Curse: Captain to the Bridge

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, PO Box 1866, Mountain View, CA 94042, USA.

Future Plans:

Rotating Command Chair: I want to make the chair one part instead of four with unique exits. I haven't decided on whether to have the exit point rotate or the whole chair (part will require Infernal Robotics)

New Hatches: After looking at Free IVA  I'm working on Hatches that will work kind of like my airlock and let pass in to the next cabin even though there is a collider in the way. I also want to make a plugin, or use an existing one if I can find it, that will make the game think that ship has an atmosphere and it's safe for kerbals to remove there helmets while inside, unless an outer hatch is open.

Kerbalevator: Haven't looked to see if this has been done yet, mostly just a thought in my head right now. But basically, I want to try to combine Struts and a Command pod so you can place Exit/Entrance (A) at one point on your ship and place Exit/Entrace (B) elsewhere and travel between the two.

Edited by Kalzuron
Update

uozYV9A.pngA view of the Mk3 Bridge brought to you by Bob on EVA inside

The Mk3 Bridge is ready enough to throw out here and I also made four version of my Command Chair with exits at the front, back, left, and right for finding the right fit or preference. I'll be posting how to make your own when I have time after work either today or tomorrow. Until the I hope you enjoy this little project of mine. And feel free to post any issues or suggestions :D

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/captain-to-the-bridge

:D Thank you, I'm currently working on the Mk3 crew cabin, It'll be ready in a few days. I managed to fix the black back ground issue on the MK3 bridge and will upload it tonight possibly. I'm going to make the fake hatches that connect internal spaces real so you can move from one IVA to another and try to find a way to see props in IVA since currently you only see props of the pod you're in or if you're in EVA. Also I'll try to throw a little tutorial together for those of you that want to make your own. This is just a different way make an internal space so anyone can make one or convert an existing one
 I haven't delved into the coding aspect of mods yet so there are a few things I'm sure I'm going to need help with, like moving kerbals to a different layer so they show up when you are in 1st person IVA and Props that you can use in EVA, so any ideas are welcome.

2 hours ago, LitaAlto said:

Sounds similar to Free IVA, but with parts:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/118371-wip-free-iva-formerly-enhanced-iva-alpha-v003-2015-10-11/

I'm very interested in seeing where you take this mod!

Yeah, I saw that mod when I was searching to see if this had already been done, very inspiring. pizzaoverhead has some good ideas that I'm looking into myself.

Oh, Legendary Emu, love the laughing Data. :sticktongue:

Update:

Ok so, Mk3 crew cabin is delayed since while I was starting on it I realized how much unused space there is, so I'm going to remodel it into a crew cab / science lab which will take a bit longer. Also, I decided to make a universal airlock that will work with parts from other mods out there that have open spaces.

Update:

I remade the Mk3 Crew Cabin into a Science Cabin with a top level that can hold 14 Kerbals and a lower floor with 2 tables, the whole thing is surface mountable so you can put your experiments anywhere you want. It's twice the size of the original to make room for an airlock for EVA and the ends are open to work with the Airlocks and Hatches I'm making as well.

I need to work a bit more on the textures they're kinda rushed and the airlocks and hatches have run into animation issues, but I should be able to finish them enough for a test release in a few days.

Concerning the Airlocks and Hatches:

I plan on making them more than just animated doors,once I find a plugin that can fit my needs.

The hatches are thin so they can fit in between parts without affecting appearance.

The airlocks will mount to the outside of a craft but a majority of the part will be inside the craft.

This mod looks amazing! I would love to see a animated gif or a video of the hatch animation once it is finished. :cool::D

But would it be possible to make the Mk3 Science Cabin a new part, and leave the Crew Cabin in the game as the original part + hatches and such to let kerbals inside? With the different size, look, and such, I don't think the Science Cabin should replace the crew cabin, it should just be a new part. Other than that, there is only what has the potential to be one of the new most popular mods embedded in those pictures.

53 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Oh. My. God. You sir are incredible. :o

24 minutes ago, LaytheDragon said:

This mod looks amazing! I would love to see a animated gif or a video of the hatch animation once it is finished. :cool::D

But would it be possible to make the Mk3 Science Cabin a new part, and leave the Crew Cabin in the game as the original part + hatches and such to let kerbals inside? With the different size, look, and such, I don't think the Science Cabin should replace the crew cabin, it should just be a new part. Other than that, there is only what has the potential to be one of the new most popular mods embedded in those pictures.

Thanks for the encouraging words :D, I'm just trying to make things I know I want and have seen others ask for.  I'll work on some gifs once I'm satisfied with exactly how the hatches open, as of right now though they just "slide" (they actually scale down so they don't stick out). The parts I'll put out will be their own and won't replace the originals, just alternate versions of them so you'll still have the original Mk3 Cockpit and Crew Cabin.

OK, the Mk3 Science Cabin is ready enough to be put out for testing. There are still a few things I'd like to polish up before an actual release, but I've spent enough time on this and now I need to go back and redo the Mk3 Bridge so I can add the Hatchway to allow you to move from the bridge to the cabin.

The Hatches for in between parts should be up tonight, I need to swap out door animations to match. Also, All 4 hatches open and close via right click menu, but I couldn't add much else to the .cfg without breaking the animations and I'm having trouble using firespitter and Dmagic's animation module. I want to use DMagic's since it incorporates Science because I plan on making the hatches more than just doors, I also want them to take any data off a kerbal inside for storage.

Anyways, here it is. Mk3 Science Cabin

Please post any problems you find, I sadly don't have time to mod and play KSP right now so any feedback is appreciated. Enjoy :)

17 minutes ago, LaytheDragon said:

Can you place blocks inside the Science Cabin? A previous picture of yours shows blocks inside it, which seems useful.

I'm not sure which boxes you're taking about. If you're referring to the things on the walls, those are the launch clamps poking through, but if you mean the things on the table, they're science equipment I put there in game. Other than that, the model is the same as it is now except with different texture and airlock animation. 

2 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

You answered my question, nevertheless. Thank you. Once you have more time for modding, I assume you will beef up the textures inside the science bay and pods?

Yes, after the holidays I should be able put more time into this, the textures on the Science Cabin were ones I already had and I felt worked well for the time being. But I will be refining things in future updates, I need to replace some mesh colliders with simpler box ones and fix a few mesh issues, like gaps and what not. Also, please point out any problems with pics if possible and feel free to make suggestions.

6 hours ago, Kalzuron said:

Yes, after the holidays I should be able put more time into this, the textures on the Science Cabin were ones I already had and I felt worked well for the time being. But I will be refining things in future updates, I need to replace some mesh colliders with simpler box ones and fix a few mesh issues, like gaps and what not. Also, please point out any problems with pics if possible and feel free to make suggestions

The outside textures could use a bit of work, but are mostly great, and the hatches, especially that on the Mk3 Bridge, are great. The floor material inside just seems like too much of a placeholder (assuming you want an end goal of good quality parts that can be entered on EVA). As of yesterday, my gaming pc isn't working, so depending on how much this mod affects performance (I can probably run it still), I may be able to do much testing over the holidays (when I am anything but busy), which will make less (or potentially more) questions come out of me about this mod and more pictures/suggestions for you be given.

^ Thanks, me too. I'm working out the kinks in the rotating command chairs and should have a test model uploaded tonight. The only issue I can't seem to fix is that no matter which way you turn the chair the IVA cam always points to the original position, but I have made it so you can move the exit hatch 360° around the chair for an easier exit. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mods_o_joy said:

Also i assume that it removes Functionality from the IVA of the cockpits

As of right now, yes. I'm hoping 1.1's IVA improvements will help in that respect so I'm holding off on doing any coding right now. But I am working on command chairs with consoles and props. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.