Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

17 minutes ago, zspoelstra said:

According to the IPS website youtube links will automatically embed. Obligatory test with a Scott Manley video

[...]

Edit: Make sure you hit enter after the link so the editor creates the embed

This works for pictures as well, when pressing enter

Don't take it as offence, guys, but...

1. My password was resetted or changed. Had to use recovery feature to get it back.

2. New "modern" design is really ugly. And sharp "Like this" buttons everywhere look VERY intrusive. 

3. I lost my subscriptions. There was not much, but I don't remember some topics from the list. And I still haven't found a new subscription list if there is any. 

4. Using private messages window is uncomfortable now.

5. Post editor is non-standard (comparing to most forums) and quite counterintuitive. Spent 2 minutes seeking for "image" in toolbar above to find it in combo-box below. And... no "Preview" button???? How should I check the post text and layout without directly posting it? 

Resume: jO7DbfGac5BFIOI5PFDgwC6IVFS86F9dnT_HXazm

IMHO, of course.

Does any one know if there is a way to change the background colour of the forum? The white hurts my eyes.

@Dr. Jet

I think it looks more.. clean. Also i tried to press that fail button you posted. I wouldn't say it is an epic fail. It will take some adjustment but it's not a fail.

Edited by worir4

To everyone saying that the migration was done to please mobile users : i'm a mobile only-user (no time for pc :/ ) and i tell you that's not the case.

Here's a bit of (mostly objective) feedback from what i've experienced on mobile only :

-i keep getting 502s.

-is there any way to de-zoom the page ? Everything is so huge and yet so blank. 

-the double-spacing and larger regular spacing significantly reduces the amount of text that can be displayed on screen. It's like reading something in font size 70 !! When you have a long post you get lost very quickly, it's as if there was no structure of paragraphs. It feels as bad as facebook and twitter where you can never have a general vision of what's going on.  you have to scroll after every paragraph... Even though my phone has a huge screen, instead of displaying more content it makes everything bigger ! My eyes hurt. There seems to be no way to make single spaced lines on mobiles. ARGH !

---> my screen is 12*6cm long and yet i can only see 12 lines of text when i'm typing, (the keyboard does take some space, but even though, urgh). I can't even see the above paragraph entirely !

EDIT : It is worse when editing the message. It's the same thing but there are now blank columns on the side taking even more space and reducing amount of text displayed.

-there seems to be no way to access the regular pc version when on mobile : i used to check "pc version" in Android chrome in the old forums, but that doesn't do anything right now.  That's pretty annoying.

The editor, on mobile, RANDOMLY MOVES THE CURSOR BACKWARDS. Every 2or 3 sentences what i type appears between the last two words. Or sometimes when i delete the last letter i wrote, it deletes the space between the two previous words instead. It just did it again. Aaaaaargh! 

I know this isn't coming from my mobile. Never had this before. It's a one+ one on Android chrome. Anyone can relate ?

-i've noticed the text editor is a bit slow, it feels like writing a text on an old BlackBerry, with some latency.

-Forum page loading times are *significantly* longer for me.

-when writing a long message like i am doing right now (well it's not long but when you can only see a few lines at a time on the screen it does feel so), and you want to way, write something in a bigger font, you have to scroll back up to the top, wich is severely annoying. Never had this kind of problem before.

-having to correct the spaces that get deleted for no reason when i delete the last letter from a word (see above) is getting VERY annoying.

-i don't think that this notification system and I have the same definition for "reply"." notify me of replies will email me for every post in the thread and not the replies to my post...

-It's really hard to post links with the BBcode now gone and the WYSIWYG editor. When i try writing something after pasting a link it tends to incorporate it into the URL. UGH.

-this self-moving cursor is killing me.

-Other problem: 

1) I start writing a post.

2) meanwhile, 5 new messages are posted.

3)i get a huge black bar right in the middle of the screen telling me that something was posted, and *that doesn't let me hide it*. It blocks the whole freaking screen and i can't see what i'm writing unless in scroll down after every line ! Uuuuuurgh ! Why is this thing appearing right there just in the middle ! 

-As expected, it's not possible to see who lastly replied to a thread. BIG problem in my opinion. It was VERY useful. Another example of flat design annihilating features.

Now a few personal opinions :

-if it's not broken, why do you fix it ?

-as i expected, the migration to a omg-so-smooth-and-simplified-for-5years-olds design, AKA flat design plague, came with a big loss of functionality and at the detriment of the user. Just like every other website/service that did this : Google, WordPress, skype... 

-What if i want to tell someone that i agree with their post without having my name showing up ? What if i agree with the content of the post, but i don't "like" what's it's talking about ? Facebook has the same problem where in order to express your agreement with a post about, say, terrorist attacks, you have to say "i like this". Duh. 

-it's a shame that i cannot write a small message explaining why i repped/liked a certain post.

-is there a way to implement skins ? I didn't really want to talk about the design and choice color : let's just say it hurts my eyes. 

-There is no contrast between the posts and the background. Confusing.

-The forums are more bugged than the game right now.

-these self-deleting spaces are driving me crazy.

This used to be my favorite website but whenever i write a post it's a battle against the editor, it is VERY infuriating and i feel like i'm not welcome here. I don't want to cringe every time i post something so if there is no change i will sadly stop coming here at all. :(

By the way : the " international" forums are trashed : every character like ç or à, é, è is now "hfk&ir%". You will have guessed it's a hot mess in the Arabic section. X) i hope you guys can solve this ! :) (i'm writing all this in bold because it's very annoying to scroll back up every time i want to change font.)

TL;DR :as far as mobiles are concerned: GREAT STEP BACKWARDS.

Edited by Hcube

43 minutes ago, Hcube said:

if it's not broken, why do you fix it ?

That's precisely what I've been thinking during the merge. Is there something I've missed here? Was there something critically deficient with the old system that meant we couldn't continue using it? This seems (to me at least) to be a great case of not leaving well enough alone. The old site wasn't the most pretty, but it was much better than the style that's being used at the moment (à la every computer-based company). Hopefully at the very least there'll be new themes, and I get this has taken a lot of time. Still very 'meh' though and I'm not convinced it was worth it after all.

Kasper, will green online lights return in the future?  I can no longer tell who is on when looking at a post!  Also, will the homepage list of people online ever be reorganized into alphabetical order?  Those are my only two gripes that are bugging me the most!  The others I can just tolerate.

Edited by Sampa

Can anyone explain why linking to a thread doesn't work with just the thread id? It's a bit annoying to require the title as well.

I could understand, though, if it required the full title, but that isn't the case, it just seems to require one character after the thread id and dash.

So this doesn't work:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583

But this does:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583-w

That seems absurd...:confused:

Edited by DMagic

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Not sure if I like the new set-up. Seems a bit buggy and I get 502 "bad gateway" errors every time I try to do something...

Our hosting provider is testing some server configurations too see what the best setup is. These should go away shortly :)

9 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Can anyone explain why linking to thread doesn't work with just the thread id? It's a bit annoying to require the title as well.

I could understand, though, if it required the full title, but that isn't the case, it just seems to require one character after the thread id and dash.

So this doesn't work:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583

But this does:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583-w

That seems absurd...:confused:

That's most likely because of the regex (pattern) that is being matched for the url structure is requiring that format. I'd bet that can be adjusted, but I'll also bet that it won't be because of SEO reasons. Having the title in there really shouldn't impact users so I'm not sure I see what the issue is with it.

Kasper, thanks for all the work you put into the migration - make sure to get some rest after the effort!

I hope the remaining problems will be resolved and everything will be up and running again after the dust has settled. It will certainly take some time to get used to the new looks, but I think it will work out for most. After all it is just a forum displaying text, not really something worth raging about?

Some constructive criticism:
I noted that the sticky-tags are different in different forum sections. The red ones in the Announcement section are really nice and easy to see, the green pins in the General section sort of blend into the title text and I have to look twice to immediately see the first actual thread. In the Q&A section the pins are even moved all the way to the right and difficult to recognize at first glance.

I think the sticky threads should always be easily visible - a tag that sticks out like the red one, or a separator between them and the live threads work well there. But at least the indicators should be the same in every section of the forums, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

Will we get our subscription list back seeing as you have managed to fix a few things with workarounds

there is also a spelling mistake in Threads I Follow

Threasds I Follow

Hehe my bad there, I'll fix that.

Once everything in the current setup is stable we should look at features to add, such as adding tables in the editor, and many more things. That's one of the good things about IPS4: it's easily customizable so we can add things we're missing without too much effort. First focus is on making sure everything behaves as expected though!

6 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

Hehe my bad there, I'll fix that.

Once everything in the current setup is stable we should look at features to add, such as adding tables in the editor, and many more things. That's one of the good things about IPS4: it's easily customizable so we can add things we're missing without too much effort. First focus is on making sure everything behaves as expected though!

Well okay, good to hear. :)

Okay, I've just finally been able to break into these forums again. Blood pressure should slowly creep down, ...I hope.
... - OR NOT!!!

Let me just briefly tell you how unhappy I am. My heart and sympathy goes out in particular to Kaspar and Co. I cry for you guys. So much hard work done. So much hard work remaining. So little gratitude or satisfaction.

Otherwise I have nothing to say, because my mother taught me that if you have nothing good to say - don't say anything at all.

- Ah, well, that's the essence of life after all. Nothing lasts. Always change.