Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

I realy need a button to get the desktop version on my phone. I have such a button in my browser, but that resets everytime i close it. The mobile version is simply unusable, but the destop one isnt great, either. I will make some screenshots to show what i mean.

2 minutes ago, Elthy said:

I realy need a button to get the desktop version on my phone. I have such a button in my browser, but that resets everytime i close it. The mobile version is simply unusable, but the destop one isnt great, either. I will make some screenshots to show what i mean.

My problem exactly. There's no way to have the PC version when on mobile. WHY ?

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎15‎:‎26‎:‎36, KasperVld said:
  • [Fixed] Because thread and post IDs were reset, old links would not work. Threads can now be accessed using their old links.

Excellent Squad, just excellent! :D

@KasperVld

Hi, just wondering : 

How come the only two subforums in International section are Spanish and Portoghese ? All the other posts in different languages are mixed up right now... Also, will the é, è, ê, à, ç and other special characters be fixed ? This whole section is unusable...

24 minutes ago, Hcube said:

@KasperVld

Hi, just wondering : 

How come the only two subforums in International section are Spanish and Portoghese ? All the other posts in different languages are mixed up right now... Also, will the é, è, ê, à, ç and other special characters be fixed ? This whole section is unusable...

It's a side-effect of lacking proper UTF-8 support in vBulletin that caused this. I can retrieve individual posts if you have a post number, but otherwise it's going to be a very tough operation. I hope that people can fix up the most important posts, at least. As you can see the special characters now work fully, and although it's an almost complete loss of many threads (some I had really hoped to avoid) I think the section can bounce back :)

23 minutes ago, Warzouz said:

What is the point of all the "ACTIVITY" tab ?

It allows you to follow different kinds of threads quickly: ones you've posted in for example, or that you started.

Sorry if I missed it (I really did look), but has anyone found a way to get back the old feature where we could disable WYSIWYG and edit the BBCode itself? I saw in one thread that apparently people think this would enable idiots to break the forum, but it hasn't happened before and the worst we got was broken imgur links now and then.

I could really use this feature because the WYSIWYG editor always seems to guess wrong when I click between two things, such as between two links or images, and thus makes it really hard to change the way things are arranged in my posts. Note, for example, that my signature currently has three images on one line and the fourth on another. I tried to fix this by inserting a line break between two of the pictures (so as to have two on each line), but the editor decided that my line break was inside the link and thus made a big ugly purple underline all over the screen. -_-

I posted a thread about issues with the new forum on mobile phones:

It somehow converted to this abdomination of a preview...

Anyway, another issue: Every tab caption starts with "Kerbal Space..." which makes managing several threads very, very hard since they all look the same until i open them.

3 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

Sorry if I missed it (I really did look), but has anyone found a way to get back the old feature where we could disable WYSIWYG and edit the BBCode itself? I saw in one thread that apparently people think this would enable idiots to break the forum, but it hasn't happened before and the worst we got was broken imgur links now and then.

I could really use this feature because the WYSIWYG editor always seems to guess wrong when I click between two things, such as between two links or images, and thus makes it really hard to change the way things are arranged in my posts. Note, for example, that my signature currently has three images on one line and the fourth on another. I tried to fix this by inserting a line break between two of the pictures (so as to have two on each line), but the editor decided that my line break was inside the link and thus made a big ugly purple underline all over the screen. -_-

Fixed that for you with the use of arrow keys :)

1 minute ago, Elthy said:

I posted a thread about issues with the new forum on mobile phones:

It somehow converted to this abdomination of a preview...

Anyway, another issue: Every tab caption starts with "Kerbal Space..." which makes managing several threads very, very hard since they all look the same until i open them.

I'll look into that, seems fixable.

Can the Quote 'linkbutton' be moved somewhere (top line would be fine, as would the right-hand side of the bottom line) and/or separated from the main post text visually? It looks like the poster posted a link. The "like" button (which should really be renamed in my opinion, 'like-ing' things has some rather negative connotations for me as an avoider of social networks a-la Twitter) could likewise be moved to the top block next to the 'share this' button.

And can the autoformatting be turned off, perhaps optionally at the time of posting? I.e. the automatic double-linefeed between paragraphs? Something that works for 'most cases' is really annoying when you want to do something else.

Like emphasize a sentence in a paragraph by moving it to the next line. It's just inflating the vertical size of the post.

Either way, all in all it seems like the forums have went the way of the new Skype. At least the avatars are still rectangular. Don't know what the benefits were on the backend, but the frontend doesn't seem to look or work much better. And some content's missing.

Hm. Where's the "preview post" button...

9 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

Fixed that for you with the use of arrow keys :)

Okay that helped with that one problem, but I know there will be more in the future so it'd be really great if you guys could add that button back at some point ;)

...in fact one just happened right now while I was typing. Try typing a URL and then typing anything after it, even with a space. All text after that point will be assumed to be part of the URL. Not fun.

So anyway, my thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/106950-how-to-land-your-fat-rocket-safely-in-the-water/ is broken now, insofar as all of the content in the OP after the craft file link is gone. It's certainly not a useful tutorial if there's no tutorial in it xP
This wasn't in Rocket Builders, so as far as I recall there was no reason it should have been purged.

Took me a bit to realize why I was having troubling navigating between forum tabs that I keep open:
CIRxx71.png

Any chance IPS can be configured to use something more relevant as the page title (ie. the title of the topic, what screen you're on, etc?)

EDIT: Derp, Elthy already asked for this.

Edited by nightingale

Any particular reason "Messenger" notifications are email only? (Notification settings)

S2203Wv.png

If automated paragraph 1.5/double spacing could be turned off, that would be much appreciated. If I want a paragraph, I can space it out myself and it's not the only reason to use a new line

Can the user change the # posts / page on this forum? (The settings window is rather bare bones so far or I'm looking in the wrong place)

Any chance of a theme with slightly higher contrast? White post / light grey border doesn't separate things out in a very defined way (even if it was just the post header that wasn't white, it'd help a lot)

Edited by Crzyrndm

7 minutes ago, Crzyrndm said:

Can the user change the # posts / page on this forum? (The settings window is rather bare bones so far or I'm looking in the wrong place)

I would like to subscribe to this issue, especially in the mission report sub-forum where consecutive posts can contain a large number of embedded images it can take one whole hell of a long time to load. The new forum seems to have a higher post per page setting than the previous, so being able to select this ourselves or even a return to a similar number would be appreciated.

Also, yes I am one of these people with a high image count thread to maintain :)

1 hour ago, KasperVld said:

It's a side-effect of lacking proper UTF-8 support in vBulletin that caused this. I can retrieve individual posts if you have a post number, but otherwise it's going to be a very tough operation. I hope that people can fix up the most important posts, at least. As you can see the special characters now work fully, and although it's an almost complete loss of many threads (some I had really hoped to avoid) I think the section can bounce back :)

@KasperVld

I don't understand what you mean by "special characters work fully"... None of them are showing up properly.

I'm afraid not many people will enjoy having to re-type every single sentence in their posts. I'd not be surprised if that section died pretty quickly (wasn't a station hall already). I must say it's a big letdown, i loved that place.

Also, i totally understand that an UTF-8 problem made the special characters act funny, but is that also the reason why there are only Spanish and portoghese subforums ?  

if they are going to be unreadable, can we at least have them in appropriate subforums ? Btw, why do Spanish and portoghese posts have subforums ? This puzzles me a lot.

Thanks for taking time to resolve it anyway

1 hour ago, KasperVld said:

It's a side-effect of lacking proper UTF-8 support in vBulletin that caused this. I can retrieve individual posts if you have a post number, but otherwise it's going to be a very tough operation.

Old posts viewed fine in the browser so its outputting correctly. I wouldn't assume that vBulletin did any conversion between formats and so I can only assume that the issue was the database table collation was wrong and that's what broke the conversion to IPS.

Whatever the issue, given the data used to output correctly it should be possible to script something to either export it correctly, or convert the raw data to the correct format. I'm not sure why it is likely to be a "very tough operation"?