Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

I'm not sure how you're handling the tables (or even how to get them to work in the first place...), but they break the mobile layout badly. They're completely non-responsive and don't scale down in the least.... causing the page to paint at the width of the table with the regular forum scrunched up on the left at its proper width. Otherwise ok. Nice job.

I'm on Safari on an iPhone on iOS 9.1, FWIW. (Which as I've just discovered barely works.... The WYSIWYG editor is miserable and inconsistent, and increasingly the forum content just doesn't paint... only the header and footer.)

31 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I'm not sure how you're handling the tables (or even how to get them to work in the first place...), but they break the mobile layout badly. They're completely non-responsive and don't scale down in the least.... causing the page to paint at the width of the table with the regular forum scrunched up on the left at its proper width. Otherwise ok. Nice job.

I'm on Safari on an iPhone on iOS 9.1, FWIW. (Which as I've just discovered barely works.... The WYSIWYG editor is miserable and inconsistent, and increasingly the forum content just doesn't paint... only the header and footer.)

I can see that, I'll poke at it some more tomorrow to see if we can't fix that (I'm sure we can :P )

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You might consider that the choice of software includes factors that do not directly affect the end user experience, and there is no software choice that would please all users. Any different forum software will draw complaints because it is by nature different, and people as a general rule don't like change.

You might also consider how to phrase things in a constructive manner, "darts thrown at various names" is just insulting and dismissive.

This announcement thread has been fluctuating between 1 and 2 stars for the first few days before settling at two now. I find it hard to believe that a consensus wouldn't be reached that exceeds that kind of poor reception. There are no excuses afaics. And that's what that was. It's not a reason. It's an excuse.

24 minutes ago, Cpt. Kipard said:

This announcement thread has been fluctuating between 1 and 2 stars for the first few days before settling at two now. I find it hard to believe that a consensus wouldn't be reached that exceeds that kind of poor reception. There are no excuses afaics. And that's what that was. It's not a reason. It's an excuse.

>Lending any serious weight to thread ratings.

It's amazing how people don't like new things immediately after being introduced to them. It's like all they see are the things that have changed and don't work like before but haven't had the time to adjust and explore the new features. Give it some time, explore a bit, and resist the knee-jerk reaction of "this is different from what I'm used to and therefore bad".

15 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

I'm a little sad that non-advanced search is still completely turd, but other than that this new forum and i shall get along nicely

Really? I've been having a much nicer time with the new search engine.

I will start off by saying the various improvements to the post editing thing are nice. I like those. I also like how its a bit easier to tell what threads I've checked haven't updated.

But I dislike a lot of the format. A whole lot of the format is annoying. I guess I hate it for the same reason I hate windows 8, that being it spent so much time trying to be mobile compatible that it forgot about being used on actual computers all together. I'd rather instead it did what most other sites do and a have the mobile format be separate from the standard format instead of forcing the 2 together resulting in some ugly things that just ends up favoring 4-inch screens.

A more minor complaint is that the KSP logo just up and lost its color. It just seems less inviting that way.

58 minutes ago, Decoherent said:

Sorry to keep bringing this up...will you be adding an option to hide avatars again? I'd forgotten how incredibly annoying they are (to me), and I'd really like to have the option back.

If you look down in the Kerbal Network for the thread regarding custom themes, you could just go ahead and edit one to change class="ipsUserPhoto ipsUserPhoto_large" to hidden.

I'm sure there were good reasons to move to this new forum software. Overall, I'm not impressed.

Passwords for some of us got messed up. Some sub-forums were moved, breaking long standing surfing habits. Finding threads I was interested in has become more difficult.

Overall, I'm not a fan. I already find myself spending less time on the forums and don't foresee this changing.

Is there a thread anywhere for reporting issues with the new forum? (other than "i don't like it!" issues, I mean) Or is this that thread? 

My issue: 'viewed' counts do not seem to be updating for topics in Mission Reports. My Jool comic thread is stuck at 2500-ish for days even though there have been a few dozen replies and I'm pretty sure lots of views. There are other threads in the forum with, say, 4 replies and NO reported views, which seems impossible. Thanks!  

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Is there a thread anywhere for reporting issues with the new forum? (other than "i don't like it!" issues, I mean) Or is this that thread? 

My issue: 'viewed' counts do not seem to be updating for topics in Mission Reports. My Jool comic thread is stuck at 2500-ish for days even though there have been a few dozen replies and I'm pretty sure lots of views. There are other threads in the forum with, say, 4 replies and NO reported views, which seems impossible. Thanks!  

That issue is known and being investigated. :)

Hmmm..... hyperlinking an image is possible as my signature is doing it but I can't seem to get a newly inserted image to allow me to link to a website when you click on it... Anyone have any tips on working around this?

Weeeeelllll, I think it's time to get back into the groove of things. Forum migrations are hardly ever smooth, and the fair share of criticism that go along with them won't ever disappear.

It's going to take a while to get used to the style; I had become accustomed to the default vB style (yes, nobody ever bothered to change the forum theme from the one that vB comes with on installation). I hate flat/material design and you probably do too, but just hope that it'll go away just as quickly as it came.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

>Lending any serious weight to thread ratings.

Then how about the 2 or 3 positive comments in a sea of angry criticism. It's just another excuse.

It's amazing how people don't like new things immediately after being introduced to them. It's like all they see are the things that have changed and don't work like before but haven't had the time to adjust and explore the new features. Give it some time, explore a bit, and resist the knee-jerk reaction of "this is different from what I'm used to and therefore bad".

I've explored, as have others. There's really not that much to see here. While technically under the hood it may be impressive that means very little to me as a user. I see a few new features, a lot of missing features, and some over-engineered features. How can anyone call that an improvement?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

11 minutes ago, Cpt. Kipard said:

Then how about the 2 or 3 positive comments in a sea of angry criticism. It's just another excuse.

This is the Internet. Angry criticism grows on trees and positive comments are rare if present at all.

Also, we're a huge group of introverted nerds who are set in our ways. No change will ever sit well with anything even approaching a majority of us. They held back on the change as long as was reasonable, but eventually you just have to snap that bone and get it done with.

So it's ugly. It's configurable. So you're missing features X, Y, and Z. They're addable. Give it time.

Alright, so let's try this on for size.  After exploring more, I've found the quoting mechanic to be overly-intrusive and annoying to deal with.  For someone who tries to at least make formatting work, it's annoying that I can't turn off the WYSIWYG editor to actually see what I'm getting under the surface rather than relying on its display being correct.  And then, after exploring a bit to try updating the changelog in the FAR thread to reflect the current update, I found that I couldn't, because it can't load up the dialog for the code block without throwing an error.  Which is a problem I could see easily avoiding if the WYSIWYG editor could be turned off.

I think everyone's knee-jerk reaction is, "this has less functionality than before, is clunkier, and is in some places fundamentally broken, and is therefore bad."  Which is, as far as knee-jerk reactions go, pretty reasonable.  I'd forgive a lot of the eyesore if I could get regular not-going-to-throw-errors-and-simpler-to-deal-with text-entry back.

You know, after getting use to the forum for a bit, it's not all that bad. Yeah I think they need to tweak some stuff. For example: Please change the likes to something like reputation, it seems to much like Facebook to me. Another thing, if it's possible, have an editor that allowed BB code and all the stuff of the old editor system. This one is alright, but I'm just so use to the BB code editor. Also, there is a lot of wasted margin space. I don't know why but it annoys me that all that space is just empty. 

17 hours ago, billkerbinsky said:

Any way to retrieve my old subscription list?   I was assured before the transition that subscriptions would be kept across the transition so I didn't do anything to back up my list of the 100+ threads I was following.

Me too.

I feel like an utter fool for having trusted Squad on this.

(And I feel so very disappointed to have to say that. I love this game, and the team that made it.)

We seem to be getting the silent treatment on this subject now...but I would like to add my voice to those calling for something to help us out...brief access to our old subscriptions lists, or something.

I may learn to live with the awful new whitewhitewhite look...I may learn to deal with everything from code to smart quotes being broken in old posts...I may even manage to wrap my mind around this least intuitive and most bizarre set of forum controls I've ever encountered...but with subscriptions gone forever and the beautiful simple functionality of the /subscription.php screen seemingly gone as well, that's really the last straw preventing me from giving the new setup much of a try.

Edited by KevinTMC

We are all still learning a lot about the new forums. As has been said before, we aren't completely ignoring people, and the change wasn't done "just because." The old software was falling out of support and had security issues. Change can be painful for everyone. And try to realize this wasn't done lightly, or out of some secret plan to make people angry and leave the forums.