Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

20 minutes ago, Claw said:

We are all still learning a lot about the new forums. As has been said before, we aren't completely ignoring people, and the change wasn't done "just because." The old software was falling out of support and had security issues. Change can be painful for everyone. And try to realize this wasn't done lightly, or out of some secret plan to make people angry and leave the forums.

I know of at least one thing done in the move, that was entirely out of some secret plan to make (certain) people leave the forums. >_>

17 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

I know of at least one thing done in the move, that was entirely out of some secret plan to make (certain) people leave the forums. >_>

Well, it's starting to work on me.
Reading back through threads full of broken BBCode is hideous, and the editor makes me want to kill something.

As such, bye. Wake me up when the forum isn't a complete shambles.

8 hours ago, KasperVld said:

I've posted a fairly large piece about the 'why' of the forum transfer in today's devnotes :)

Thx. That's understandable.

This whole negative reaction mess could have been avoided, if it had been done before. It's very strange from a company which is such as close to it's community as Squad.

1 hour ago, Warzouz said:

Thx. That's understandable.

This whole negative reaction mess could have been avoided, if it had been done before. It's very strange from a company which is such as close to it's community as Squad.

The thing is that it was posted before, both when we attempted to switch to vB5 last year and before we moved to IPS now. Perhaps it should have been communicated in a more visible way: lessons learned. At least I hope that it's much clearer now for everyone why we moved, regardless of how you feel about the new platform. 

59 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

The thing is that it was posted before, both when we attempted to switch to vB5 last year and before we moved to IPS now. Perhaps it should have been communicated in a more visible way: lessons learned. At least I hope that it's much clearer now for everyone why we moved, regardless of how you feel about the new platform. 

11 hours ago, SQUAD said:

• vBulletin 4 is an old piece of software, released in 2009 and hasn’t received a significant update since mid-2012. This lack of updates, and assumed end of life approaching, means that the software is or will become incompatible with things like updates to PHP, MySQL and other server-side software that gets released to address various issues – and to introduce new web features.
  • On a technical level, vBulletin 4 is a collection of several systems that are quite poorly integrated with each other, meaning that any maintenance is a pain and administration and moderation are spread out and sometimes inconvenient. Though extremely versatile the poor integration causes quite a few headaches.
  • The mobile support, we felt, was lacking. With more and more people using the forums on their mobile devices being stuck on either a mobile theme with limited functionality or a full-sized website which requires constant zooming in an out is less than ideal.
  • Related to the first point: vBulletin is slowly but surely building a reputation as a piece of software that is insecure (see for example this article), and we feel the security issues are not properly recognized by the company developing the software.

When it comes to security it sounds more like joke as the forum is still http instead of https.

Mobile and Facebook might be trendy but that does in no way mean it is something awesome. In fact facebook is an example of extreme space wasting on the screen. And most important Facebook and Forum are not the same, so mixing them with such bad solutions is something that will just get ppl angry.

Also you said the migration was tested so much, why the hell did no one notice that all subscriptions need to be deleted.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I assume he's talking about RP in the RB subforum, which is now not a thing.

Indeed. Or rather, the RB subforum itself, which is also no longer a thing for all practical purposes. Not that I ever visited it, but I oppose the limiting of people's ability to have fun on principle, especially if it's so poorly thought through.

17 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

Indeed. Or rather, the RB subforum itself, which is also no longer a thing for all practical purposes. Not that I ever visited it, but I oppose the limiting of people's ability to have fun on principle, especially if it's so poorly thought through.

I got the impression that it was quite well thought through, and as opposed as you are to limiting fun, I'm opposed to shoveling tons of extra work on the volunteers who make this site run.

Note: not only did I not frequent that forum, but I'm not a moderator so don't know any details. I just know that generally people are jerks to moderators and moderators frequently just have to suck it up, take it, and keep doing the work for free.

Things that still need fixed:

• Inter-line spacing is still too much and needs to be tightened up (line-height of 18px is way too much for a font-size of 13px)
  • Still a lot of wasted border space on the margins that doesn't go away until the window is under ~900px
  • The light grey border around each post is still oversized and should be tightened up quite a bit (ipsLayout_mainArea), as it has left/right padding of a wasteful 20px (instead of only 3-8px)
  • There's also a white border around everything (left/right of the grey border) that should be tightened up (id=ipsLayout_mainArea) as it is set to 15px, should probably be cut to 2px to 5px.
  • The forum title link should take you directly to the first unread post, you should not have to click a tiny dot/star to the left of the forum title to get there.

Edited by WuphonsReach

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I got the impression that it was quite well thought through, and as opposed as you are to limiting fun, I'm opposed to shoveling tons of extra work on the volunteers who make this site run.

Note: not only did I not frequent that forum, but I'm not a moderator so don't know any details. I just know that generally people are jerks to moderators and moderators frequently just have to suck it up, take it, and keep doing the work for free.

See, there's that part of the problem too. I don't know any details either. How many times was moderator action called for in the RB section, in the past, say, year? How does it compare to the same statistics from other sections, and how many of those times had anything to do with roleplaying? I have none of that data, and all I know is what was said.

The reason for the removal of the subforum, as stated, was that it was "long overdue because of constant violations of the 'no roleplaying' rule". Which is, in my opinion, a bad rule, akin to forbidding all traffic of vehicles with less than four wheels to reduce the number of accidents involving cyclists.

With it being natural for roleplay to emerge in a creative community, adding a rule against roleplay in this community seems to go counter to the notion of reducing the workload of moderators, when simply going for "roleplay does not exist for the purpose of these rules; infractions and bans will be handed out for all offenses regardless of roleplay context", and making roleplay off-limits except in dedicated subforums, would have been a far better solution. There is no extra work for moderators in that case - certainly less than having to enforce an extra rule. Anyone stupid enough to use the quoted "but I was in character" defense to dodge infractions deserves to be punished with extra prejudice. I believe that's the way all forums I know of that don't ban roleplay (that is, every forum I know of besides this one) do it.

Edited by Sean Mirrsen
Formatting

9 hours ago, KevinTMC said:

We seem to be getting the silent treatment on this subject now...but I would like to add my voice to those calling for something to help us out...brief access to our old subscriptions lists, or something.

Mmm. That strikes me as the one remaining serious issue; surely it is not impossible to provide read-only access to the old forum for long enough for us to recover our subscriptions, or to pull the data and make it available here, or something?

3 hours ago, Alewx said:

When it comes to security it sounds more like joke as the forum is still http instead of https.

You are mistaken. There's a difference between "your ISP etc can spy on what you do on the KSP forum" and "it may be possible for J. Random Guy to access the admin interface and replace the whole forum with booster enlargement spam".

31 minutes ago, damerell said:

Mmm. That strikes me as the one remaining serious issue; surely it is not impossible to provide read-only access to the old forum for long enough for us to recover our subscriptions, or to pull the data and make it available here, or something?

You are mistaken. There's a difference between "your ISP etc can spy on what you do on the KSP forum" and "it may be possible for J. Random Guy to access the admin interface and replace the whole forum with booster enlargement spam".

Security..... in any case.

26 minutes ago, Alewx said:

Security..... in any case.

In the sense that, say, gangrene and a cold are both "health" issues. Your argument is then akin to saying that because we can't cure the common cold, healthcare is a joke.

Just now, damerell said:

In the sense that, say, gangrene and a cold are both "health" issues. Your argument is then akin to saying that because we can't cure the common cold, healthcare is a joke.

Well yes, but Offtopic.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

So where we differ is, I assume that those who know the details acted logically and in their own and the site's best interests, while you assume instead that they want to ruin fun.

There is an old saying that one should not be quick to attribute to malice, what can more easily be explained by stupidity. But no matter what I think about the forum move, I do not want to think that the people making decisions at Squad are stupid. At the same time I do believe the decision to have been a bad one, which only really leaves the other option. >_>

Edited by Sean Mirrsen
Formatting, sentence structure

3 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Would it be possible to change it so that  'Kerbal' is no longer registered as a spelling error when posting?

That's a browser feature, not a forum one. Add it to your browser's dictionary (usually right click the word and "Add to dictionary").

3 hours ago, worir4 said:

Does any one known what the dots are under the user title? I have 4 of them.

They are related to the number of posts of the user. I don't know how much posts you need to get a certain number of dots though.

Would it be possible to change it so that  'Kerbal' is no longer registered as a spelling error when posting?

I think this doesn't depend on the forums but on your computer or browser language: mine is in French and most of English words I write are shown as spelling errors.

Edited by Gaarst

I feel kind of bad that my first post on the new forum was a tongue in cheek comment that the new forum ruined my game. I've been through enough software migrations to know it never goes well at first. I am also learning to accept that the majority of people now access the internet on their stupid phone (I did note learning to accept).  That said, every time I come back it feels like some small tweaks have been made. It's getting there. 

I agree with the request to change Like to Add Rep. 

Has the font color changed to black or has my brain just done its best to compensate?