KasperVld

8 minutes ago, WildBill said:

I am

appalled by all

the whining about

the Editor.

Seems fine

To me...

It's just different. (ah! too much whitespace!! my eyeball just exploded!! Now I'm a 1-eyed minion, nooooo!)

Only one exploded?  Hmm, you might have been near sighted in that eye.  You should get a doctor to take a look at you. ;)

Spoiler

Spoopy invisible goast words! :0.0:

Interesting... It is working for me now, but absolutely refused to work last night. Must have already been dealt with. Cool! :)

You know, regarding those new emoticons being added... I still stand by my belief that these need to be kerbalized.
Aditionally, I think a nifty little set of either green hands or gloved hands need to be used for a Thumbs Up and a Thumbs Down emote.
Remember, "Green is keen!"

Edited by richfiles

53 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Again, inconvenient as all get out. Most text editors don't force you to do all these extra steps.

Not sure what you mean by "extra steps" in this case, it's not like you're going to have different justification on the same line. It's literally as simple as one click on a new line.

14 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not sure what you mean by "extra steps" in this case, it's not like you're going to have different justification on the same line. It's literally as simple as one click on a new line.

I enjoyed the customizable properies of the old text editor but this new one is slowly growing on me. I have to say it's IMO faster than the old text editor. Creating this post was a pain with it. BTW nice avatar! :D :D :D 

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I know originally there was a warning that messages weren't going to be migrated over; but can I just say thank you for making it so :)
I had downloaded them -- but it's nice to know that the history of fairly important conversation is still there, readily available :D

So, thank you again! :cool:

Rep isn't the same on the new forum. In addition to the "like" button only counting for one point (making old-forum rep effectively worth more than new-forum likes), I have to admit I miss the little mouse-over titles for the rep bars. Things like "so-and-so owns a roll of duct tape" or "has a rep rivaling Jebediah's" or whatever. Those had a lot more character than just a number.

Not a serious issue or anything, just a little thing I miss about the old system.

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Same line, no. Same paragraph, yes. Shift-enter linebreaks don't create a new 'paragraph' in this editor's logic, and the justify buttons work on whole paragraphs only.

I still maintain that having direct access to all formatting is better than the simplified/automated setup of the current editor with no option of manual editing. Having both as a selector would be the best of both options, but as it stands the editor buttons are not equally as useful as direct formatting editing.

And before another mention of it "already being possible", please point me towards a button to preview the post so I can make sure that the formatting is correct, without submitting the post and having to edit it if any errors show up. This over-reliance on WYSIWYG is one thing, but there is no way to plug manual formatting into it.
(on a similar note, is there a list of code tags this forum software supports?)

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No preview is necessary, the post will appear as it does in the editor.

I meant with manual formatting. Like typing out [noparse]

and centering text

[/noparse]. <- And I've no idea whether

is a tag here, and whether [noparse] is a thing that works, etc, so I've no idea what this post will look like after I click "submit reply" right now.

Edit: and apparently [center] works, and [noparse] doesn't. Would've been good to know before posting. ;):P

edit2: and apparently the (b)(/b) trick I used to make the [center] tag appear as-is in lieu of [noparse], does not get saved, and when you go to edit the post later what should be a ['(b)(/b)center'] tag becomes [center] again and centers everything.
Edited by Sean Mirrsen

@Sean Mirrsen Ha, yeah I found the noparse tags get messy when you have to edit the post. Things start shifting and disappearing. It was noparsed initially, but then when you edit, the noparse tag disappears and the thing you wanted visible gets parsed anyway.

alrighty now that i can log in... that was the first issue... second issue is there is to much white.... hurts my head... thirdly, im not a fan of the twitbook crap in my kerbal...

all in all i dont like the new forums... sorry guys but this is not a good change... mabe on the back-end... but arn't forums for the users...

Edit: also the load times between pages... please tell me those will go away...

Edited by Trentendegreth

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

So they pushed these new forums on us knowing that Kasper had to be away for uni why didnt they just leave it till the New Year to do it like the release for 1.1 so who is addressing the issues 

Because PR companies are never wrong, and never do any mistakes.

Even if they would collect some numbers, it is always some statistic to their own taste.
As there is no alternative, they always just see the use of what is provided and then read the result as an acceptance which confirms them.

17 hours ago, Trentendegreth said:

...second issue is there is to much white.... hurts my head... thirdly, im not a fan of the twitbook crap in my kerbal...

Join the club.

Any idea when we can anticipate some work on the numerous glitches, or the eyeball searing theme guys? There's certainly been enough noise by now to suggest some changes & bugfixes are warranted.

Hows about a list of what's on the list to be fixed, so we can all stop reporting the same issues?

37 minutes ago, Alewx said:

so who is addressing the issues

Sure looks like "nobody" to me.

Edited by steve_v

Glitches have been fixed, though I expect the post editor will remain as always.

As for the theme, I'm fine with it. It's bland, but in my view if you're finding a mostly-white web page "eyeball searing" then you should consider turning your blooming monitor brightness down. Most major websites are black text, white background.

2 minutes ago, cantab said:

Glitches have been fixed, though I expect the post editor will remain as always.

As for the theme, I'm fine with it. It's bland, but in my view if you're finding a mostly-white web page "eyeball searing" then you should consider turning your blooming monitor brightness down. Most major websites are black text, white background.

Define "major websites". Most books are that too, but that's because books are not back-lit, and black paper isn't that easy to mass-manufacture. When I'm browsing, I'm finding themes such as Darkling on Bay12Games forums far superior to even their defaults.
That, plus most sites aren't consisting primarily of text. And most (good) sites don't want to look like Facebook.

And really, "it's that way everywhere" is hardly a good justification for keeping a bad thing, even if the 'badness' can be expressed as mildly as "it's bland".

Two things:

1. Why does everybody use "it's like Facebook" to mean it's bad? Don't like 90% of all Humans on Earth spend their entire online lives on Facebook?
  2. Mod. The. Forum. To. Look. Different. If. You. Don't. Like. It. I did. It looks great now. My eyes haven't been seared once.

20 minutes ago, cantab said:

you should consider turning your blooming monitor brightness down.

Not a solution. Even at my usual 20% brightness, the stock forum theme is an annoying and distracting practically white square; the difference is negligible at lowest. I used to keep forum pages open on my second screen while playing KSP... with the stock theme, I had to either minimize the browser or click away to some other, darker page to keep it from burning at me from the corner of my eye.

I've worked around this with a custom style, so it's moot to me now, but not everyone can use that workaround.

31 minutes ago, cantab said:

Most major websites are black text, white background.

And no matter how many or how 'major' the websites, stupid trend is still stupid. Black on white works for paper because paper doesn't frigging GLOW. A screen emits light even at lowest brightness, by definition (and if you think of arguing that, try reading a white website on a screen with a broken backlight).

The few sites or applications I feel like using that are mostly white in their stock form, I custom-style to dark. Software that insists on low-contrast mostly-white interfaces gets replaced. My eyes have thanked me ever since I started doing that.

29 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Why does everybody use "it's like Facebook" to mean it's bad? Don't like 90% of all Humans on Earth spend their entire online lives on Facebook?

I don't. And people spend most of their offline lives either home, or at work, or in a pub, or out walking in the park, and somehow most of them don't tend to want each of those different places to all look the same, especially if it's all beginning to look like the worst place out of all the ones they frequent. And I hardly ever go Facebook even, and yet I'm already sick and tired of this aesthetic.

35 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Mod. The. Forum. To. Look. Different. If. You. Don't. Like. It. I did. It looks great now. My eyes haven't been seared once.

I don't see a style selector here. Or any visual customization tools. See, the point is not that I can't do it. It's that not complaining, and dampening the impact of the change for yourself because you can, enables those who make the changes to keep making such changes without regard for those who can't because nobody tells them it's wrong. [/impliedsquadiseviljoke]

41 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

I don't see a style selector here. Or any visual customization tools. See, the point is not that I can't do it. It's that not complaining, and dampening the impact of the change for yourself because you can, enables those who make the changes to keep making such changes without regard for those who can't because nobody tells them it's wrong. [/impliedsquadiseviljoke]

Okay so you hate it and won't change it. I can't argue with that.

Literally. I can't. It's useless.

On 8.12.2015, 13.31.10, Hotaru said:

Rep isn't the same on the new forum. In addition to the "like" button only counting for one point (making old-forum rep effectively worth more than new-forum likes), I have to admit I miss the little mouse-over titles for the rep bars. Things like "so-and-so owns a roll of duct tape" or "has a rep rivaling Jebediah's" or whatever. Those had a lot more character than just a number.

Not a serious issue or anything, just a little thing I miss about the old system.

Also, the dull grey dots are not nearly as cool. They say very little, and for the longest time I could have sworn everyone just had 3, absolutely no difference at all. (Now the number of dots varies.. why how exciting, not really.)

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Two things:

1. Why does everybody use "it's like Facebook" to mean it's bad? Don't like 90% of all Humans on Earth spend their entire online lives on Facebook?
  2. Mod. The. Forum. To. Look. Different. If. You. Don't. Like. It. I did. It looks great now. My eyes haven't been seared once.

1. Because facebook looks bad. Popularity != Quality.

2. You. Can`t. On. A. Tablet. (AFAIK, I`d love to be wrong about this)

"Theres. a. mod. for. that." should. not. be. used. to. excuse. bad. decisions. by. squad.

EDIT : Also, could people who encourage others to mod the forum start providing a link to the instructions on how to do that? I`ve seen so many comments saying `just mod it` yet no link to how to do that or to a thread with clear instructions (I know it`s obvious if you know but it isn`t if you don`t). If that could happen that would be great, thanks.

Edited by John FX

2 hours ago, cantab said:

then you should consider turning your blooming monitor brightness down.

Hi, I spent some time calibrating my monitors - are you telling me I should decalibrate them every time I have to use a specific website? like, every time I alt-tab to a different window I need to change brightness?

Forget Facebook ( which I still find easier to use than this ) and any other 3rd party sites, they distract from the usability issues this site suffers from. "Everyone else is doing it" is never a valid defense in any case.