Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

10 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I've contacted our webhost about that, shouldn't be too hard from this point forward but we'll have to wait for them. Do note that this tool doesn't work for posts, just threads (though I think that's a vast improvement already!)

This is a welcome development. Thank you for your hard work. I agree you need a breather and that the forums need some work. Please have good luck in balancing priorities. 

(Aka, remember: Health > all else in life)

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

And here a week ago I had complimented Squad for showing some signs of maturing software engineering processes by postponing the 1.1 update to allow for additional QA work.

Major changes *never* go smoothly.  You're always better doing a test run in a sandbox (say, grabbing a copy of the Announcements and running the update process on it), so you know exactly what the issues are in advance.  That way, you can inform the customers what steps they need to take to preserve data.  Yes, it's extra work, and it means you'll spend more time on it, but doing thorough tests before going live is a critical element of all software development and deployment processes.  Notifying customers ex-post-facto that they've lost data that they could have preserved is not ideal.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that the 502 issue was down to load. That makes it difficult to catch in testing; you can simulate to an extent but it's hard to be sure.

@KasperVld

If nothing else, you should be able to modify that script of yours to handle incoming links and pipe them to the new link.

For instance:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138640-Kopernicus-1-0-4-Toy-Solar-System-v1-0?p=2281374#post2281374

All you need is a url rewrite rule and have your script grab the thread id and then you can issue a 301 redirect to the new thread. If you want to get fancy you can even parse out the post number and convert that if even possible with IPS. At least this will get people to the correct thread.

I'm sure you know all this already though :wink:

Edited by zspoelstra

2 minutes ago, Warzouz said:

The script/redirection should not be the issue. The identifier correspondence may be. Where is that correspondence if softwares are different, I suspect the database is not the same ?

Kasper already said that he has a script to convert from the old ID's to the new ones suggesting that they must have logged the translation of ID's when created in the new BB.

While these things should have been handled pre-migration, I think they will be fixed up in the coming days and everything will settle down around here. If you've never done a large migration there are things that you miss every single time and it sucks, but they do get fixed in short order.

Ok, looks like the redirect is configured now... but old links still break if there is anything existing after the thread ID (which is just about every single KSP Forum link in existance on the web).

@KasperVld You need to set your little script to trim anything after the thread ID ([0-9]+) or from the "-" onwards.

I notice fixing of old URLs has gone from "No Fix" to "Investigating", which means this may not be a complete catastrophe. Never break a URL.

However, the lack of some kind of source editing mode is very vexing. I used to process my screenshots with a script which spat out BBcode to insert a small image in the post which linked to the full-size version. As far as I can make out, in the new world that is impossible (although just to rub salt in the wound, some of my old images got converted OK, so it would be more accurate to say it can be done but the editor won't let me do it), but even if it was possible it would require me to fiddle about in the GUI for each and every link. I can see I'm not the only one affected by this. (ETA: and source editing plugins exist for IPS4).

Edited by damerell

Just one little advice for redirects, really make sure that the redirect is done with an HTTP 301 code, so that google can correctly update old links.

Remember, if you need any help, the community is eager help you, there are many skilled web developers and server administrators among us.

I guess this forum migration must be putting a lot of pressure on you!

12 minutes ago, damerell said:

I notice fixing of old URLs has gone from "No Fix" to "Investigating", which means this may not be a complete catastrophe. Never break a URL.

However, the lack of some kind of source editing mode is very vexing. I used to process my screenshots with a script which spat out BBcode to insert a small image in the post which linked to the full-size version. As far as I can make out, in the new world that is impossible, but even if it was possible it would require me to fiddle about in the GUI for each and every link. I can see I'm not the only one affected by this. (ETA: and source editing plugins exist for IPS4).

I too would nearly kill for a source-editing mode.  And/or for not breaking all of the existing BB code in the first place.

On that note -- how can I retrieve image links from my existing posts?  When I edit them to fix the images/albums, all they say is 'javascript is disabled... blahblahblah...' and at no point do I see the original link data or imgur album code.  For many of the images and albums, I have no way to know what the image or album was other than by the source from the link.

How can I get this information back in a usable format?  Would like to fix some of my thread OP's... but cannot as long as this vital information is missing.

3 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

On that note -- how can I retrieve image links from my existing posts?  When I edit them to fix the images/albums, all they say is 'javascript is disabled... blahblahblah...' and at no point do I see the original link data or imgur album code.  For many of the images and albums, I have no way to know what the image or album was other than by the source from the link.

If you click on the "javascript is disabled" link it should open the imgur album URL, that worked for me at least

I'll be able to re-follow the 67 threads I was following though it will take some time :rolleyes:. The main thing I'm curious about is indentation and line spacing in posts. Do you plan on adding the ability to change line spacing and add indents? Those are basically the only text functions I can't live without ;.;.

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'll be able to re-follow the 67 threads I was following though it will take some time :rolleyes:. The main thing I'm curious about is indentation and line spacing in posts. Do you plan on adding the ability to change line spacing and add indents? Those are basically the only text functions I can't live without ;.;.

One space
between lines

That one's done with shift-enter.  If you are on a mobile device the only option I'm aware of is to cry (tears unlock single space mode).

Indentation I don't know, but may be possible via the same hackery that allows tables - hand-code html file, open in browser, copy rendered content into WYSIWYG editor (that's how I got my sig laid out the way I wanted it).

I get the need to update the forum software, but I'm not a fan of the new look. Way too much whitespace for my taste. Would love an option to be able to change the displayed layout.  I've been trying to get used to this, but it's not taking. :(

But I really, really miss the 'new posts' feature from the old forum. Was a really easy way to catch up on things. 'Unread Content' isn't doing it for me.

16 minutes ago, Ravien said:

Someone got info what kind of formatting tags (if any) are available now for posts?

I've just discovered that if I edit a post with BBcode in, it fixes it up. Even if the BBcode wasn't there before the migration. It also works in a new post. I am just checking to see if it works in a new topic.

Edited by damerell

I'd like to chime in and reiterate the request for a non-WYSIWYG editor, or at least an "edit source" button.  Disabling the WYSIWYG in my forum preferences or something would be even better.

Thanks for all your work, forum team!

2 hours ago, LitaAlto said:

I apologize if this was already answered--but I don't see any option for embedding YouTube videos. Will we cinematics makers now have to settle for links to the video?

According to the IPS website youtube links will automatically embed. Obligatory test with a Scott Manley video

Edit: Make sure you hit enter after the link so the editor creates the embed

Edited by zspoelstra

18 minutes ago, zspoelstra said:

According to the IPS website youtube links will automatically embed. Obligatory test with a Scott Manley video

Edit: Make sure you hit enter after the link so the editor creates the embed

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, then--because I entered the YouTube link, and hit Enter to create a newline, but the post still shows a link rather than an embed.

Update: I just reposted the comment with the link and the embed worked properly that time. I'll presume there was a temporary glitch. Thanks again!

Edited by LitaAlto