Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Has the font color changed to black or has my brain just done its best to compensate?

You are right! It's now a very dark blue (2D4760). Maybe it's the start of changing the design to one with more contrast.

Is there anything that can be done to save the K-Prize challenge?

The numerous honour roll links to mission reports made in the thread stretch back 3 years and do not work any more. The numbers on the IPS post URLs do not match the numbers in the BB code links.

;.;

Just now, parameciumkid said:

I miss the "Go to First Unread" button. Is it hiding somewhere, or can we get it back?

You know the round or sometimes star shaped "bullet point" next to the thread title? Yeah...that's the first unread post link. Yeah...the forum bans swearing, or I'd say what I really think.

12 hours ago, Alewx said:

When it comes to security it sounds more like joke as the forum is still http instead of https.

That's true! Although I understand that the software had to be upgraded, certificates aren't expensive any more, there are even some you can get for free and the configuration on the server side isn't very hard either.

Edited by SMILIE

Downside of the free SSL certificates is limited support across devices.  There are lists out there which list which CA vendor and what certificate types are trusted by the browsers / operating systems / devices.  With the lower cost certificates, you can run into an instance where the SSL certificate will not be recognized as valid by, say, the iPhone 4, or Android 4.4, or some browsers under Windows 7, etc.

(Personally - I'm wishing that DNSSEC and DANE would take off...)

On 2/12/2015 11:27:58, Red Iron Crown said:

You might consider that the choice of software includes factors that do not directly affect the end user experience, and there is no software choice that would please all users. Any different forum software will draw complaints because it is by nature different, and people as a general rule don't like change.

You might also consider how to phrase things in a constructive manner, "darts thrown at various names" is just insulting and dismissive.

Given that I ....violently.... objected to the choice of forum software, I have to agree with you. having run forums of my own, I know that if it were left to the community, NOTHING would get decided and the arguments would continue for months, resulting in more than one meltdown and members leaving!

I also know that someone HAS to make the decision, and its not at all like throwing darts at names. Admins (and Mods and other staff) decide the software based on many factors, ease of use, security, Admin/Mod options etc etc etc... and yes, what Capt. Kipard said was highly insulting!!!

having said all that.... I also have to agree that this software (correctly called a "script" BTW) is also growing on me... given the drawbacks for my eyes is one thing, taking steps to minimise the harm to them is what is helping me to come to terms with the choice of forum script...

I'd say it was a good call by those involved. If you quote me, However, I will deny it. :)

11 minutes ago, SMILIE said:

That's true! Although I understand that the software had to be upgraded, certificates aren't expensive any more, there are even some you can get for free and the configuration on the server side isn't very hard either.

You also have to have additional server capacity available to do the encryption, which may be small but isn't free.

On November 30, 2015 at 9:33:06 PM, Raptor9 said:

Just tried it again on another thread, and it worked after I waited for about 3 minutes.  I then did it on the original place I was posting...worked almost immediately.  Thanks...but that is some weird behavior.

I use latest Safari and latest OS X.  I've tried all the suggestions as well as other attempts to embed a You Tube video.  I get the (now) usual link, but no embedded video.  Doesn't seem to matter whether or not I "wait" after the paste/ enter action.

Edited by Dispatcher
spelling

On 2/12/2015 8:09:39, Red Iron Crown said:

I see no white names. Can you be specific about where you see them? Next to recent threads, or in the Who's Online thing, or somewhere else?

If you make threads in General Discussion about the forum they get moved to Kerbal Network, where discussion about the forum belongs.

Firstly, the bug.... it wasn't. I installed that styler crap for FireFox based on what someone said... it made the site here look funny. Removed it, all is well again.

As for the moving of topics... remember (I hope) that i said I suffered from MS dementia... I hate things not being where I left them... it makes me wonder if I'm losing my mind.

No biggie.... so, shall we move on? :)

And I'm just dropping by to mention again "me too".

Please let us edit the code directly, it's making updating posts a royal PITA. As it's seriously annoying me, I shudder to think how much more annoying it must be for modders, with regularly updated OPs.

This horrible WYSIWYG editor needs to die, or at least come with an "off" switch.

How do I insert a web link in a message like a mediafire link it refuses to let me copy any kind of link into the body of message its saying it has no access to my clipboard. I am rapidly discovering it takes twice as long to do anything with this (insert expletive) than what i could achieve under the old forum 

Using the "Link" button on the toolbar:
http://example.com

Using the standard browser rmb->paste (appears to work again, yay):
http://example.com

Using the stupid ctrl+rmb->paste:
snapshot21.png

Another win for the idiotic WYSIWYG editor, as anticipated.

Using Iceweasel/Firefox with my usual "make the 'net not obnoxious" kit of ad/script blockers, FWIW.

Edited by steve_v
Because stupid editor being stupid, as usual.

13 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

How do I insert a web link in a message like a mediafire link it refuses to let me copy any kind of link into the body of message its saying it has no access to my clipboard. I am rapidly discovering it takes twice as long to do anything with this (insert expletive) than what i could achieve under the old forum 

Works fine for me. What browser and OS are you using?

So you can't just paste it with ordinary old rmb->paste? (surprisingly, it even detects links correctly here - though I'd still prefer to enter the BBCode myself)
Why then can I?

Edited by steve_v

I have no idea why it doesn't work,  I am rapidly losing my patience and I may just give up trying to use these forums. This is  the most user unfriendly software I have had the displeasure of using, sorry for the rant but been struggling for days to try and get on top of things and keep an open mind. My patience threshold is being tested and I really love the community its been the best one for help and guidance and friendship 

Edited by Virtualgenius

5 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

My patience threshold is being tested...

Believe me, I know the feeling. :mad:

The community is the only thing keeping me here, and I've temporarily rage quit this shiny new forum more than one already.

Again, a simple "off" switch for the dumbed-down editor would go a long way.

Edited by steve_v

@Virtualgenius Can you see if it persists in another browser? I don't have Win10 to test on and it works for me in Chrome, though I have read of other users having other issues on Chrome.

@steve_v We are well aware of the desire for a non-WYSIWYG editor, both from your posts about it and those from other users. We'll see what can be done.

Sometimes I feel like the most patient man alive.

The forums came out less than a week ago, are under active review and have had several changes already, and people are willing to just up and quit forever because some feature hasn't been added?

How about quit for a week and come back and see how it is? Or take the month off. Enjoy the holidays with your family and/or friends. Play some KSP or (for me) Fallout. Then check back and see if the forums are better or worse.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The forums came out less than a week ago, are under active review and have had several changes already, and people are willing to just up and quit forever because some feature hasn't been added?

Forever, no. Until things work properly? Quite possibly.
Then again, if I did that I'd miss the opportunity to add my small weight to the "get things fixed" push, and may well come back to something worse.

If the announcement was "New forums are (provisionally) up, come try them out" (the old forum is preserved here until the bugs are worked out of the new one), well now, that would be different.

What actually happened was "Hey, the awesome new forums are up, come use them"... HTTP/1.1 502.

Shortly followed by all our subscriptions taking a hike.

Edited by steve_v

I sent Kasper an email asking if a list of people subscriptions could be generated, no response yet but I know he is insanely busy squashing forum bugs. I will try and use a different browser to see if its an issue with  chrome. 

I congratulate you on your patience 5thHorseman  your a better man than me. I think that because the software is so vastly different to Vbulletin  and things are no longer where you expect to find them and some things take a few more clicks to get to,and different terminology is used  it grates on peoples patience, and losing some of the normal stuff you do takes its toll. I apologize for my rant but it would have been far better to phase the new forums in slowly than do a radical change but as Kasper has explained due technical reasons this wasn't possible so he had to rip the band aid off.  I will continue to persevere and see how things improve over the next week or two hopefully some of the more annoying features improve 

Edited by Virtualgenius