The new rep system

GoSlash27

All,

I hate to complain in my very first post on the new forum, but I'm really dubious about this new rep system.

Rep used to have a specific function on the old forum; it marked a respondent as particularly helpful and knowledgeable (or not). This was useful to newbies for judging the merit of proffered advice. If somebody with high rep offers advice, it was probable that the advice was sound.

Now we get rep for anything that anybody "likes", which is pretty much meaningless. Are we sure this is the way we want to go?

Sorry 'n thanks,

-Slashy

I agree.  Not entirely opposed to the likes, but , likes are cheap, rep was a bit more solid seeming, and a bit more interesting imho. I also liked those shiny green badge things. We got to get more of them than these circles. 

Rep took a bit more to get than the common like or upvote.

Then again, we have yet to fully see it in action.

But rep was cool, if they could make it a little more like the old one, that would be great.

Sometimes rep is useful. Sometimes it's simply a measure of someones ability to regurgitate popular opinion.

And I like it when I get a notification when someone replies while I'm typing. No more ninja's.

44 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

New forums are nice, but maybe Kasper can change it from 'Like This' to Add Reputation?

That's a good idea and might solve the issue GoSlash27 was pointing out. However, something tells me this 'button' is not just a simple add-in to the forums software, and changing it will likely require going in and editing the IPS code ... such as I once had to do with phpBB, which was possible but a serious pain in the neck to do.

So is our reputation now just the total number of 'likes' for our posts? Wow. Unlike. But just as with anything else, I'm sure we'll get used to it. The important thing is that we share good content with each other. Hopefully that would happen regardless of whatever version of fake internet points the system allows us to award each other :) 

Another thing about the older system that I liked is that rep was weighted, so that the more rep you had, the more rep would go to the person you gave rep to. Now it seems that every like is equal, with no weighting, is this true or are my speculations misplaced?

7 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

Another thing about the older system that I liked is that rep was weighted, so that the more rep you had, the more rep would go to the person you gave rep to. Now it seems that every like is equal, with no weighting, is this true or are my speculations misplaced?

The weight wasn't significant. One only had to be on the forums for a few months or have like 50 rep to have it maxed out at 5. I only get less than 5 points of rep given to me once or twice. 

It's interesting that in this system, which has a less detailed reputation system that it rates your rep in your profile. You and I both have 'Excellent' reputation. You have 800 more points than I, there are so many lurkers.

Edited by NFUN

20 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Rep used to have a specific function on the old forum; it marked a respondent as particularly helpful and knowledgeable (or not). This was useful to newbies for judging the merit of proffered advice. If somebody with high rep offers advice, it was probable that the advice was sound.

Now we get rep for anything that anybody "likes", which is pretty much meaningless. Are we sure this is the way we want to go?

I hate to burst your bubble, but reputation never worked the way you describe. People rep for all sorts of things: Helpful advice, good mods, interesting craft, nice screenshots, fanworks, critiquing Squad, cracking jokes, etc. It has never been a useful measure of helpfulness or knowledgability.

1 hour ago, Frozen_Heart said:

It makes rep so much cheaper to give so it becomes pretty much meaningless.

Cheaper how? 

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but reputation never worked the way you describe. People rep for all sorts of things: Helpful advice, good mods, interesting craft, nice screenshots, fanworks, critiquing Squad, cracking jokes, etc. It has never been a useful measure of helpfulness or knowledgability.

Cheaper how? 

Is there a way to put reputation power back up to 5? If our pre-migration rep count is presevered, rep power should be preserved too. It's not like I've been repped 1079 times, I've been repped about a fifth of that many times or less. It should either be the number or reps (I refuse to say "Like") we receive or a total of reps given * reputation power. Not a hybrid. I think.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

This isn't a Red Iron Crown post, apologies for the appearance. Snark talking. I'm forced into it because of a cascade of bugs that has gotten me irretrievably wedged. I'm posting on my phone. First I tried to reply to RIC's post with a quote. Then I discovered that it has a bug on the mobile version, such that no matter where I position the caret, anything I type goes inside the quote box. Then I couldn't cancel my post because there's no cancel button anymore. So I tried going back to the forum and reloading the page, and just submitting a non-quoted reply, except that it appears to have remembered my borked state server-side and puts the RIC quote box right back again and won't let me type anything outside it. So apparently the forum has me by the throat and won't let me escape until I post this, so I will. Apologies again. Apologies also for the long run-on paragraph, but it instantly auto deletes any newlines I try to insert. By now I forget what my original point was, so I'll stop here. If any moderator can fix this post so that it doesn't appear to be a Red Iron Crown post, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.