Mad Rocket Scientist

On 7/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, TanDeeJay said:

Can some tags be added to this thread along the lines of "attach image", "insert image" "add screen capture", "screenshot" etc... I was trying to figure out how to attach images and none of my searches on this forum found any hints.  It wasn't until I discovered this thread that I found out how.  I think it would help other forum newbies like me to find this thread with some tags around attaching screenshots.

I've found this thread very useful :)

Good idea, I just changed it.

On 11/29/2015 at 8:12 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Q: What do the dots under a username mean?
A: They are related to post count, not quite sure how.

Something about reputation.

Is there a way to change your default font? I'm tired of changing to Lucida Sans every time I post.

• 5 months later...

I would like to post screenshots of "stuff", like my current adventure to set up a mining and refueling base on Duna in the Mission Reports forum, and I know how to embed images. My question is, is it possible to embed a smaller version of my screenshot, so as not to take up so much space, but make it possible for the viewer to view the full sized picture by double-clicking or something? If so, how would I go about that?

Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

I would like to post screenshots of "stuff", like my current adventure to set up a mining and refueling base on Duna in the Mission Reports forum, and I know how to embed images. My question is, is it possible to embed a smaller version of my screenshot, so as not to take up so much space, but make it possible for the viewer to view the full sized picture by double-clicking or something? If so, how would I go about that?

Thanks!!

Embed the picture, then double click on it.  (Or I think you can also hold Ctrl and Right Click).  This will let you scale the image to whatever you want, but the full size is still available if someone clicks on it.

There's also drag handles around the image right after it converts from the link.

39 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Embed the picture, then double click on it.  (Or I think you can also hold Ctrl and Right Click).  This will let you scale the image to whatever you want, but the full size is still available if someone clicks on it.

There's also drag handles around the image right after it converts from the link.

Excellent, thank you very much! Life here just got a little sweeter.

5 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

How are you able to see signatures (they exist, right?)? 

Is there a setting somewhere to show them? 

Are you on mobile? They're off for there, at least by default and I've never seen a way to turn them on.

On a real browser, they should be on by default and - similarly - I can't find a way to turn them off.

I have a signature, so if you can't see mine you can be sure you can't see them and it's not just that nobody has one.

EDIT

OH! I just found it. Do you have An X and a triangle in the lower right of every post? Maybe you disabled them that way.

Edited by 5thHorseman

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Do you have An X and a triangle in the lower right of every post? 

I don't. I'm on mobile, but even when I load the page in desktop mode I don't see it. 

I'll try later on a PC though. 

Edit: Nvm, there's a setting in account settings to view signatures and it was off for some reason. Thanks for the help! 

Edited by EchoLima

9 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

Nvm, there's a setting in account settings to view signatures and it was off for some reason. Thanks for the help!

Oh wow now that I know it's there I found it in like 3 seconds. I've been on that page dozens of times over the years and never saw it before.

For others, it's on the same page where you edit your own signature.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, kurtu5 said:

How is searching within a topic done?   All previous answers don't help. 

IF you click on the spy glass- search button(while empty) a box should popup allowing you to select content types "topics"(their are many other options you can use here)selecting content titles and or body, depending on your choice once you have entered the search term for the topic and search. the results window will be displayed.

if you then enter the final searchable info in the new search box (search again) it should stay within the first query's results and append your request with highlighted entries.

once you are in a forum, you can use the "this forum" feature selection or more articles/members/pages and do specific searches of each

Capture1.JPG

Hope this helps

Jammer-TD

Another option if the in-forum search engine is not bringing up good results, which is quote common, is to use google.   If you add "site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com" to the end of your search entry, google will only return results from the forums.    As google algorithms are a lot more robust than the simple ones built into the forums, sometimes this method will help you find what you want quicker. 

41 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Another option if the in-forum search engine is not bringing up good results, which is quote common, is to use google.   If you add "site:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com" to the end of your search entry, google will only return results from the forums.    As google algorithms are a lot more robust than the simple ones built into the forums, sometimes this method will help you find what you want quicker. 

That was already in there, just not very prominent. I rephrased it a bit so it's a little easier to see.

@Jammer-TD Thank you for the screenshots. 

This certainly helped me understand that its something to do with Chrome that is not showing me the first box you mentioned.   I tried in Firefox and have several options below the page banner that don't show up in Chrome.   I will have to see what plugins/extensions are causing Chrome to not show me these features and get back to this thread if its some quirk that may affect others.

@Gargamel 

Yeah +site: was my first workaround, but I would figure if I dug around using that, I could find a relevant topic to ask this very question in. :)

Edited by kurtu5
Thanking another poster.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Laie said:

Is there any direct support for video formats?

Youtube and I believe a couple other popular sites are supported for direct embedding.   But since the forums don't host any media, you'll still have to have it hosted someplace else, and linked here.    Hope that answers your question. 

Thanks, but sorry, no, it doesn't.

I can post pictures from anywhere on the web, they don't need to be hosted with imgur or any other "well-known" image site. I was wondering if in this day and age, the same would be possible with moving pictures... and if so, how.

9 hours ago, Laie said:

I can post pictures from anywhere on the web, they don't need to be hosted with imgur or any other "well-known" image site

The site doesn't have to be well know, it just has to be hosted somewhere, just not here. 

9 hours ago, Laie said:

I was wondering if in this day and age, the same would be possible with moving pictures... and if so, how.

Yes, you can embed videos if the forum supports that particular format.   The only way to reliably find out is to try in the test thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Baomekry said:

This forum supports this format, but it is not known if new members are allowed to do so.

AFAIK, the forum does not take into consideration your post count when attempting to parse links.  I may not have written the book on this, but I did write the new member guide ;). 

• 11 months later...

After comments by some users, I have found a way to filter your custom activity stream by forum.   So if you don't like the stuff being posted in the modding WIP's, or the games forums, you can choose to ignore those subs.   It's filtered by inclusion, not exclusion, so if you want to ignore one sub-forum, you have to enable all the rest of them, one by one. 

Click Topics, and then select the subs you want to follow:

2018-09-06_12-57-38.thumb.png.277aca7580

(Pic taken from the Invision FAQ, so the forum shown doesn't exist here, but it does work here)