Mad Rocket Scientist

On 11/30/2015 at 7:12 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Notifications:

1. To edit your notifications, hit the bell icon on the top of the forum, then hit "Options."
  2. "Send me news and information" I think this sends IPS ads to your email.
  3. Everything else if self-explanatory.

Given that I have browser notifications enabled and I do not want email notifications....

notification-settings_zpskra5zwgt.png

Attempts to follow a thread do not let me select the first radio button:

follow-attempt_zpsjzpbe2lw.png

What am I missing?

Some good nuggets in this thread.  Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge.

Can anyone tell me how to search within a thread?

IIRC, the old forum had a command for this but I've yet to find a way with the current forums. 

-epower

1 hour ago, Trann said:

Given that I have browser notifications enabled and I do not want email notifications....

notification-settings_zpskra5zwgt.png

Attempts to follow a thread do not let me select the first radio button:

follow-attempt_zpsjzpbe2lw.png

What am I missing?

I think selecting "do not send me any notifications" will give actually send you a notification, because you have notifications enabled for followed content.  Here's how I'm imagining the forum handles it: There's a new post in a followed thread and there are no notifications set for that following, don't send a notification.  Then, in another part of the forum code: There's a new post in the list of followed content, send a notification for that.  I think it disallows that option on the thread follow dialogue so you don't receive two notifications for the same thing.  
At least, I think it might work that way.  Give it a try and see if it works. :)

7 minutes ago, Trann said:

@Mad Rocket Scientist It's not intuitive but I think I understand your theory.  So, I've selected "Do not send me any notifications" which was accepted and I am apparently now following the thread I wanted to test this on (no new content yet).  We'll see what happens.

Thanks much.

It's not intuitive, but I hope it works.

You're welcome.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I didn't see it on the OP or a quick look through the thread.

I was looking through some old posts of mine that had their BB-code broken by the update, and I discovered an interesting little shortcut. I thought if I wanted to fix them I'd have to go through and manually correct every instance of broken BB-code, but it turns out that if you just click "Edit" and then immediately "Save," the forum parses the BB-code and the post is fixed automatically (just like it did with older posts when the forum was updated). It doesn't fix everything (quotes are still broken, spoiler tags disappear, etc.) but it does fix images, links, and at least some formatting.

6 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I didn't see it on the OP or a quick look through the thread.

I was looking through some old posts of mine that had their BB-code broken by the update, and I discovered an interesting little shortcut. I thought if I wanted to fix them I'd have to go through and manually correct every instance of broken BB-code, but it turns out that if you just click "Edit" and then immediately "Save," the forum parses the BB-code and the post is fixed automatically (just like it did with older posts when the forum was updated). It doesn't fix everything (quotes are still broken, spoiler tags disappear, etc.) but it does fix images, links, and at least some formatting.

I've seen that before, I'll add it to the OP.  Thanks!

The old version of the forums used to have a setting for the number of posts displayed per page, and I had it set to 100.  The current forum version defaults to 25.  I cannot seem to locate any option to change this, and I didn't see any mention of the phrase "posts per page" in this thread (except for the mention of 25 posts being the default).  Is there some place to set this default to a different value?  I really don't like having to keep clicking "next" when reading through a discussion.

Also (probably asked a zillion times), is there some place to set the default sorting for the Gameplay Questions forum to "Sort by Date" instead of "Best Answer First"?

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 1:38 AM, Claw said:

The only thing I don't see yet, is how to add rows or columns.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this out as well.

I've been putting a few tables into my showcase thread, so instead of a user wading through all the "Reveal Hidden Contents" expanders to find a craft they want, they look at the directory table to find some basic information about the craft (ex: user wants a Mun lander, finds a craft file that is both a "lander" and capable of landing on "Mun" in the directory, and then scrolls down to that specific expander).  The problem is, when I add additional craft files to the thread as I publish them on KerbalX, I have to create an entire new table, and copy and paste individual cells one at a time to the new table.  This can get very tedious and time-consuming.

Is there no keyboard hotkeys for adding additional rows and/or columns?? :(

12 hours ago, PnDB said:

The old version of the forums used to have a setting for the number of posts displayed per page, and I had it set to 100.  The current forum version defaults to 25.  I cannot seem to locate any option to change this, and I didn't see any mention of the phrase "posts per page" in this thread (except for the mention of 25 posts being the default).  Is there some place to set this default to a different value?  I really don't like having to keep clicking "next" when reading through a discussion.

Also (probably asked a zillion times), is there some place to set the default sorting for the Gameplay Questions forum to "Sort by Date" instead of "Best Answer First"?

1) I don't believe so.

2) Not by default, just on a visit-by-visit basis.

5 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this out as well.

I've been putting a few tables into my showcase thread, so instead of a user wading through all the "Reveal Hidden Contents" expanders to find a craft they want, they look at the directory table to find some basic information about the craft (ex: user wants a Mun lander, finds a craft file that is both a "lander" and capable of landing on "Mun" in the directory, and then scrolls down to that specific expander).  The problem is, when I add additional craft files to the thread as I publish them on KerbalX, I have to create an entire new table, and copy and paste individual cells one at a time to the new table.  This can get very tedious and time-consuming.

Is there no keyboard hotkeys for adding additional rows and/or columns?? :(

CTRL-RMB and click "Table properties."

6 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

CTRL-RMB and click "Table properties."

That allows you to edit everything but the number of rows and columns, ha ha.  I was hoping somebody knew a keyboard hotkey or shortcut or something.

Edited by Raptor9

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

That allows you to edit everything but the number of rows and columns, ha ha.  I was hoping somebody knew a keyboard hotkey or shortcut or something.

Sorry,
Blame my
sloppy testing
of stuff.

I don't a know shortcut, sorry.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

How do you post twitter message? I tried just pasting the link to the message, but it doesn't convert it to the message.

Edit: testing if this works:

Ok, it's done by pasting the link and then hitting enter to create a new line, otherwise it wont convert the link into the actual twitter message.

Edited by Albert VDS

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

The [ IMG ] thing for pictures doesn't work.

Doesn't it?

First I get the direct link: http://i.imgur.com/0NFnkuD.png

Then I wrap it in tags: %7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/0NFnkuD.png

EDIT:

Let me try that again:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/0NFnkuD.png?1

0NFnkuD.png?1

EDIT:

Weird, grabbing the bbcode link direct from imgur seems to work:

0NFnkuD.png?1

0NFnkuD.png?1

EDIT:

Got it!  You have to remove the link part of the URL by ctrl-RMBing it, then {img} tags work.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

On 2015. 11. 30. at 2:12 AM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I will add new stuff as I find it.

Let me note two discoveries that you might find worthy to add to the OP.

You can't turn an image into a link by only BBcode or the YSWYG system alone, but the combination of the two works. To do so, one needs to click the 'link' button, add the desired URL into the URL field, and the url of the image - in IMG brackets into the 'Link text' field. It'll look silly in the input field, but works fine once posted. Example:

URL:		https://exapmle.target.link.ksp/content
Link text:	[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vwxyz.jpg[/IMG]

The other thing is a pet peeve of mine. I hate to have "Edited by Evanitis" notifications under my posts, just because I fixed the spelling after reading what I wrote. But if I post something (even just a dot) right after, the two posts are merged, and the shameful grey text is gone. Of course it only works if no one posts in the thread before the workaround. The time-limit to do so is somewhere between 10 and 30 hours.

. <- see? the only trace of my edits.

Edited by Evanitis

15 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

You can't turn an image into a link by only BBcode or the YSWYG system alone, but the combination of the two works.

WYSIWYG works fine. Insert the image using the "Insert other media" tool, then Ctrl-RMB on it and you cna add an URL. Alternately, insert the link first, then highlight it and use "Insert other media" to insert the image. Either method produces a picture that's a link when clicked.

The other thing is a pet peeve of mine. I hate to have "Edited by Evanitis" notifications under my posts, just because I fixed the spelling after reading what I wrote. But if I post something (even just a dot) right after, the two posts are merged, and the shameful grey text is gone. Of course it only works if no one posts in the thread before the workaround. The time-limit to do so is somewhere between 10 and 30 hours.

. <- see? the only trace of my edits.

Hate to burst your bubble:

edit.png

Arrrrrgh. I had a lot of failures with linky images... trying such simple methods never occurred to me.

Double arrrrgh. They are all back! They were just hiding because they sensed I'm about to eliminate them. ;.;

But ain't givin' up. One day all 'them pesky grey lines will burn!