Frida Space

LISA_Pathfinder_fairing_encapsulation_20

We are less than two days away from LISA Pathfinder's launch! If you haven't heard of this mission yet, LISA Pathfinder is an ESA mission that will test the technologies required to detect gravitational waves, ripples in spacetime - the fabric of the Universe - predicted by Einstein. So it's more of an engineering-experimental mission than a scientific mission, but nevertheless it's incredibly fascinating, at least IMHO.

LISA Pathfinder will launch at 4:15 am GMT from Kourou, French Guyana, on top of the 6th Vega launcher. After insertion in an inital orbit of 200x1540 km, 6.5°, it will conduct six apogee-raising maneouvres over two week's time and then begin a six week cruise to L1. It will be placed in a 500,000x800,000 km Lissajous orbit around L1, 1.5 million kilometers from Earth towards the Sun.

If you want to know more, I suggest visiting the mission website: sci.esa.int/lisa-pathfinder

ESA_LISA_Pathfinder_Orbit_annotated.jpeg

Edited by Frida Space

24 minutes ago, Frida Space said:

to detect gravitational waves, ripples in spacetime - the fabric of the Universe - predicted by Einstein

I'm always quite interested in these types of things - they can have some amazing outcomes.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what's L1?

Launch postponed

Press release:

During the final step of VV06 launch campaign, a technical issue on the Vega launch vehicle required additional analysis. The launch initially scheduled for December 2, 2015 is postponed.

ESA’s LISA Pathfinder spacecraft is in stable and safe conditions and the launcher teams are currently working on this technical issue.

A review of the results will take place tomorrow, leading to a decision for a possible launch on December 3.

Edited by Frida Space

21 hours ago, Frida Space said:

Yea, especially if you're used to see the various Deltas or Arianes, Vega really skyrockets from the launchpad crazy fast.

Actually, i looked into some numbers last time and i found approx the same numbers for TWR between Ariane 5 and Vega... I can't find them anymore but i got them from Arianespace and spaceflightnow, it was around 1.83 for both Vega and Ariane ! I'm sure it depends on the payload but maybe Vega just looks faster because it's smaller (or maybe the launch tower is smaller) ? 

While looking at it Ariane 5 really is fast at liftoff... I'll have to check the number again :)

52 minutes ago, Hcube said:

Actually, i looked into some numbers last time and i found approx the same numbers for TWR between Ariane 5 and Vega... I can't find them anymore but i got them from Arianespace and spaceflightnow, it was around 1.83 for both Vega and Ariane ! I'm sure it depends on the payload but maybe Vega just looks faster because it's smaller (or maybe the launch tower is smaller) ? 

While looking at it Ariane 5 really is fast at liftoff... I'll have to check the number again :)

It might be just an impression, however I remember a launch commentator saying "You saw Vega rising like an arrow surprisingly fast if you're used to watching Ariane 5". This is the video link: http://youtu.be/pISmmemWmEc?t=55s (minute 0:55 roughly).

A few seconds later, he says "those of you who watch Ariane launches know that the Ariane launcher rises much more slowly."

Would be interesting to see a TWR comparison, however I couldn't find one. Might search better later :)

Edited by Frida Space

On 30/11/2015 12:12:02, technion said:

I'm always quite interested in these types of things - they can have some amazing outcomes.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what's L1?

yup yup

remind me this kind of 3dimf stuff (especially from the S90 N90 plane cut):

6aUlm2D.gif

Thks for sharing

EDIT: live near @2:54:30 <3 <3 <3

"... next mission will be a big one with two three objects separate by million kilometer, this one is currently "mostly" testing materials ..." ,'')

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

as long as the cube arenb't too close too each other regarding measurement capactity of possible  disrupting forces balance between two entity, sending measurement signal time, and said wave size at higher inter distance ... it may highlight a few thing yup : )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎52‎:‎59‎, Hcube said:

That's too bad :/ i hope the new launch window is during daytime in France though, i've never seen a live Vega launch and i bet it's awesome :)

Actually a lot of ESA rockets (If not all) launch from Kourou in French Guiana, a French territory in South America, It's used as it's very close to the Equator, which is preferable for rocket launches as you are not forced to only launch spacecraft into orbits at specific inclinations but rather have access to equatorial orbits and presumably a wide range of other orbits aswell.

TL-DR, They don't  launch it from France, they launch it from S. America.

Edited by DolphinDude3

7 minutes ago, DolphinDude3 said:

It's used as it's very close to the Equator, which is preferable for rocket launches as you are not forced to only launch spacecraft into orbits at specific inclinations but rather have access to equatorial orbits and presumably a wide range of other orbits aswell.

It's not that you can't get into an equatorial orbit from Cape Canaveral, it's just that it costs more in terms of DeltaV and fuel. But yes, I get what you mean, I'm just being nitpicking :)

However, the fact that equatorial launching sites are preferred is that at the equator, the rotational speed of the Earth is greatest.

Edited by Frida Space

15 minutes ago, Frida Space said:

It's not that you can't get into an equatorial orbit from Cape Canaveral, it's just that it costs more in terms of DeltaV and fuel. But yes, I get what you mean, I'm just being nitpicking :)

However, the fact that equatorial launching sites are preferred is that at the equator, the rotational speed of the Earth is greatest.

Thanks, Actually I was thinking of mentioning that but I had a brainfart and couldn't 100% remember whether the Poles or Equator rotated fastest, although I had a feeling it was the equator. :P

Edited by DolphinDude3

28 minutes ago, Frida Space said:

It's possibly the most ideal launch site in the world, being close to the equator, being able to launch both Polar and Equilateral, and not completely in the middle of nowhere, allowing for lower labour costs.

12 minutes ago, fredinno said:

It's possibly the most ideal launch site in the world, being close to the equator, being able to launch both Polar and Equilateral, and not completely in the middle of nowhere, allowing for lower labour costs.

Alcantara is closer to the equator and also not in the middle of nowhere.

51 minutes ago, DolphinDude3 said:

Actually a lot of ESA rockets (If not all) launch from Kourou in French Guiana, a French territory in South America, It's used as it's very close to the Equator, which is preferable for rocket launches as you are not forced to only launch spacecraft into orbits at specific inclinations but rather have access to equatorial orbits and presumably a wide range of other orbits aswell.

TL-DR, They don't  launch it from France, they launch it from S. America.

... I don't understand how your answer relates with my post. (I'm aware that the earth rotates faster at the equator but that has not much to do with the time of the livestream in a different timezone, does it?) :)

Btw : actually, Kourou isn't a french "territory" but is rather a proper whole region of France 

Looks like the window wasn't changed, i'll miss the live :(

Edited by Hcube

30 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Alcantara is closer to the equator and also not in the middle of nowhere.

But there is little infrastructure, very few launches and no plans for intensive activity like at Kourou, and if i remember correctly there are no plans to launch geostationary sats from there (even though it is indeed a better launch site than Kourou for GTO)

EDIT :sorry for the double post, but i wasn't able to multi-quote...

Edited by Hcube

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.