KSP rocket vs real rocket line up

Temstar

KVV is the best thing since sliced bread. And since the VAB/SPH now gives you dimensions of your craft I thought I'll spend some time creating a size comparison picture between real life manned spacecraft launch vehicles and a selection of my own launch vehicles in KSP to see the size difference:

2py5csz.jpg

Interestingly while Nova II is close to the maximum height the VAB supports, the VAB still has plenty of room sideways. So in theory you should be able to fit the NASA space shuttle inside the KSC VAB. Although I doubt you can actually prep the Space Shuttle inside the KSC VAB for launch.

Edited by Temstar

Nice work Temstar, that's an interesting comparison, looks good too.  I'll check  KVV out when I get the chance.

And sliced bread is a jolly good idea too, saves me getting wonky sandwiches and cutting the ends off my fingers :D

It's a bit hard to scale things up since they don't scale up linearly. It's about 3500m/s to reach LKO and 10,000m/s to reach LEO, so LKO is much easier to reach. But on the other hand KSP rocket parts are rubbish compared to real life rocket parts so a Kerbal rocket with 10,000m/s of delta-v will have a tiny payload fraction (eg Eve ascent rocket).

If you had Kerbal rocket parts on earth and you tried to make a rocket to launch a given payload you will need a much bigger rocket than the real life equivalent rocket for that payload.

BTW, is it just me or does Kerbals enjoy huge amount of space per person in their capsules? Their one man and three man capsules are only a little bit smaller than Mercury and Apollo capsules, yet Kerbals are much much smaller than humans so per person space would be greater.

1 hour ago, Temstar said:

. So in theory you should be able to fit the NASA space shuttle inside the KSC VAB. Although I doubt you can actually prep the Space Shuttle inside the KSC VAB for launch.

Many people play RSS and RO so not only in theory but also in practice :)  As to preparations, generally it's better to install hangar extender and build above the VAB.

btw my biggest rocket in stock system was about 115m high so comparable to Saturn V.

4e2lWFb.jpg

(sorry for lack of better photo)

10 minutes ago, PLAD said:

WeirdCulture, I cannot stop laughing at that "Kerbal" class ship. Oh my god. And the precise '362 t' rating. Now that is a Kerbal rocket!

Also note that it's called "Untitled Space Craft". :) I'm not sure who made the image. I've run across it in Google image searches many times. :)

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.