STS Challenge v2 (Closed)

On 3/4/2016 at 5:51 AM, rudi1291 said:

I did something... STS Commander rank 4. Shuttle "George" as the "stranded" one, Shuttle "Thomas" as rescue shuttle.

Indeed you did!  That is a whopper shuttle, how does it do with the inigma 42t payload challenge?  Looks like it would be easy money for this vehicle.  Congratulations also on successfully riding a very blunt object to orbit with your second launch - totally don't need to worry about aerodynamics, just go with brute force :D.

Soo, it gives me enormous pleasure to award you STS Commander - Rank 4.  Wear your badge with pride human!   yCCnUU7.jpg

SM

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Indeed you did!  That is a whopper shuttle, how does it do with the inigma 42t payload challenge?

It should be able to place that outside Kerbin's SOI :P Havn't tried that though...

Thanks for looking at my challenge entry 

I took on the STS-2 challenge. This was a fun mission, those sats look so cool spinning out. I decided to put the operations module in the cargo bay for fun/practice/challenge. Landing this thing with 10 extra tons is so different (shuttle is normally 31 tons with empty cargo bay). I had to put canards on the front just to give more pitch authority for the flare. I also find myself actually using my drogues on the landing now, which looks so much cooler.

My right strake was eaten by a bug just prior to landing. I know that, in the past, the rule on "safe landing" has been pretty strict, but the rational is that this challenge is the ultimate test in design and piloting skill. I think that my landing, despite losing an important piece right before a critical maneuver (through no fault of my own) is a testament to both of those things.

What is the policy on quicksave/quickload? I have a quicksave from when I was over the mountains, so I could revert and demonstrate that landing properly.

10 hours ago, robertlong13 said:

What is the policy on quicksave/quickload? I have a quicksave from when I was over the mountains, so I could revert and demonstrate that landing properly.

Feel free to revert if you like.  It sounds like you've been subject to the KSC Kraken, and if you look back through the thread it was something that my shuttle got hit with a few times (once so bad that only the cockpit managed to land :huh:).  However it's a beastly bug and reverting to over the mountains I don't think is going to help you.  The bug could have got started far earlier in your mission and no one really knows what causes it or when.  Still try - If anything else it will be fun watching more bits fall off and trying to land in one piece!

There's a big difference to landing in only a command chair, and having 1 piece eaten by a bug.  So considering this, and the fact that I've also had a successful mission passed despite losing a couple of bits to the KSC monster you will be fine, but I won' be able to check out your mission report until I get home as this work computer blocks the gallery.

Edit:  @robertlong13 I've got home and reviewed your mission. Congratulations that's a clear pass, and another clean run (taking the kraken out of the equation) so I'm pleased to award your STS Commander - Rank 2 badge.  Here it is:  WUvoQpP.jpg

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Here are my STS-3 pictures.

Ran into that darned KSC Kraken again. This time, he ate both my strakes. Normally my ship flies just fine without them, but this time everything got really bumpy. I should have turned SAS back on; I may have been able to salvage that landing. Fortunately, I quicksaved moments before this. I read somewhere that restarting KSP and loading the quicksave makes the problem go away (one of the reasons it's so hard to fix; it's not highly repeatable). I landed just fine on the revert. I had no other reverts.

I used 2 information-only mods in this round. FIrst, was the docking port alignment icon on my navball. Second was ScanSat. Lining up these re-entries for these highly inclined orbits is really tough. I have to time synchronize my orbit perfectly, and the only way I know how to do that is with the ScanSat orbit overlay on the map.

On 3/8/2016 at 5:40 AM, robertlong13 said:

Here are my STS-3 pictures

Nice use of Jeb and Vall to extract the module from the payload bay, I didn't think of that.  This thread is getting to be a decent compilation of times the bug has struck, semi or fully destroying vehicles, but clearly you landed firmly in one piece despite losing a couple of non critical parts, so pass I say, a clear pass!  Have a badge.  I loved the STS-3 mission.   neSFTQk.jpg

On 3/9/2016 at 0:56 PM, robertlong13 said:

And here's my rescue mission

Did you simulate that explosion on purpose or was that just serendipity?  Either way, a cool little story there.  I take it from your dialogue in the imgur album you knew that the real rescue would be EVA, but I like the added complexity of assembling the docking tube, and the requirement is absolutely not specific.  That looked like a hot re-entry, and love the panic deployment of the solar panels at the end!  Have another well earned badge!   yCCnUU7.jpg

You clearly have a well developed and capable shuttle there, so it would be superb to see you complete the final space station assembly missions!  The Hubble mission and the rescue mission are definitely favorites of mine, but the station building mission is very rewarding.

SM

8 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Did you simulate that explosion on purpose or was that just serendipity? 

I caused the explosion on purpose. I rolled hard and slammed into full throttle, which quite reliably rips something off. Normally, the carrier is quite forgiving when exiting at 25% throttle. The explosion actually took a few tries to time the picture correctly.

Yeah, I originally planned to do the EVA rescue, but I wanted to utilize the extra fuel in the broken shuttle to make an inclination change, as they eat up so much fuel. Plus, it plays into the story of re-purposing the shuttle as a space station.

I'm really looking forward to building the space station---which is the reason I actually got interested in building a shuttle anyway. But first, I'm going to make some much needed updates to my Mk3 IVA mod.

Hey, nice that this challenge was restarted. Because I lost all my saves and crafts a few weeks ago, I'm waiting for 1.1 to be released. Last week I thought it might be a good idea to update my shuttle to be ready for 1.1. *hype* Ok it wasn't an update, it needed to be redesigned. Happily I found this challenge to test its capabilities. STS 'Eriksson' is ready to fly and tested in default usecases. Now it's time to test its limits and Funkyndustries is proud to present our testflight data.

First test: At least double the nominal payload and see where the shuttle can get and if it can be controlled precise. Thankfully we could earn some money fullfilling an contract of Inigma Industries to lift a 42t fuel pod into a circular orbit around Kerbin.

Here are our results: (including a hazard nearby the landing site)

I'll share the craftfile after 1.1 is released and when some more tests are done. If anybody cannot wait :-) don't hesitate to ask. P.S. Sry for the mass of pictures.

Edited by funk

13 minutes ago, funk said:

Here are our results: (including a hazard nearby the landing site)

Seriously the amount of times I've blown up something miles away while landing my shuttle!  Anyway, this was a great mission and while I cannot update you onto the leaderboard I'm sure FCI will do it when he is back around.  I've had a thorough check and unless I'm missing something you are only running info and visual mods, so no complaints here, and happy to award you the Flight Director badge.  Wear it with pride, and funk.  et2p8E4.jpg

On 3/10/2016 at 2:33 AM, robertlong13 said:

But first, I'm going to make some much needed updates to my Mk3 IVA mod.

Nice IVA mate, looking forward to seeing the finished station also!

SM

• 4 weeks later...

Is it okay if:

The craft is a CSM style winged orbiter that only separates in case of emergencies.

The CSM is winged and launched on a rocket

The boosters are normally attached.

the CSM has OMS engines?

I'm not going to try any specific challenges here, I'll just post what I made on my own

jNYV7Xn.png

kyjerk2.png

The mk5 version of it doesn't meet the requirements... because it lacks an RCS system... the mk4 version is also questionalbe because its vernor RCS system is only to help with pitch.

It doesn't really have a real OMS system, just internal fuel for the main engine.

OSgEuQU.png

It does have two smal O-10 monoprop engines to deorbit it after achieving orbit... which may count, but they don't give it a lot of dV

The mk3 version had a better monoprop OMS system... but its payload capacity was smaller... it had to use some of the fuel in the payload (same one as pictured above) to achieve orbit

ak00vON.png

Here you see the mk4 with just 56 m/s in the "OMS" system after releasing the payload with an apoapsis barely above 70km... the margins on making orbit with that payload are quite small.

sGy5VfL.png

However, the ET is recoverable (unlike the SRBs), and it comes out to about 700 funds per ton to orbit... which is better than any disposable that I've managed...

This was all in 1.04... in 1.05 I build a bigger one using vectors, with a much bigger external tank... but haven't uploaded any images

Okay. I have thought of my new shuttle design, so here goes:

A Mk1-2 Command pod with a docking port and parachutes 

A decouple-able service module with wings - has a service bay or two and two Thuds

Any large cargo is underneath the CSM which turns and docks with it after orbital circularisation 

A SaahSTO (Single and a half Stage To Orbit) conventional rocket takes it to orbit

On 4/5/2016 at 6:23 PM, Alchemist said:

And here's the full report:

Sorry for the delay in reviewing this.  I've been having a break from reality (holiday).  I'm back now and this has given me the perfect 0600 jet lagged and awake chance to review your video and challenge submission with a cup of tea in hand!  Great video and nice twist on the challenge using a Buran and STS!  The Buran as you've noted is clearly more controllable. I've tried both designs also and found the Buran to be the more forgiving shuttle in virtually every task.

I did get a pang of nostalgia of the steam fair when you accelerated the video - the music on orbit sped up reminded me of old steam powered merry-go-rounds!

Anyway, with all things said and done you have passed with flying colours, and I cannot like your post more than once, otherwise I would have done :)  Please have your STS Commander - Rank 4 badge and wear with it with much Russia/USA space cooperation pride.  Now where is ESA's shuttle?!   yCCnUU7.jpg

On 4/5/2016 at 9:45 PM, KerikBalm said:

I'm not going to try any specific challenges here, I'll just post what I made on my own

I'd certainly like to see you develop this shuttle to the challenge requirements and fly a couple of missions.  Looks like you have the beginnings of a very capable one boosting an orange tank up already, so I say go for it!  Post your results if and when you like, but otherwise thanks for sharing!

On 4/5/2016 at 8:59 PM, RA3236 said:

Is it okay if:

The craft is a CSM style winged orbiter that only separates in case of emergencies.

The CSM is winged and launched on a rocket

The boosters are normally attached.

the CSM has OMS engines?

Hi and sorry for the delay also!  In the interests of overcoming my jetlag I'm going to ask you to post some pictures.  I have it in my head what your design might look like but in the spirit of adhering to the challenge rules I'd still like to cast my eyes over it.  Mostly nothing to do with espionage I promise ;)

On 4/5/2016 at 7:31 AM, RA3236 said:

A decouple-able service module with wings - has a service bay or two and two Thuds

Any large cargo is underneath the CSM which turns and docks with it after orbital circularisation 

A SaahSTO (Single and a half Stage To Orbit) conventional rocket takes it to orbit

OK cool this sounds very interesting.  Again not espionage related but I would definitely love to see some early stage screenies if you have them?

Thanks all, good to be back :)

SM

1 hour ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Hi and sorry for the delay also!  In the interests of overcoming my jetlag I'm going to ask you to post some pictures.  I have it in my head what your design might look like but in the spirit of adhering to the challenge rules I'd still like to cast my eyes over it.  Mostly nothing to do with espionage I promise ;)

OK cool this sounds very interesting.  Again not espionage related but I would definitely love to see some early stage screenies if you have them?

Thanks all, good to be back :)

SM

Yep. I was also on holidays when I wrote that. I'll get to it straight away.

Okay. It turns out I do not have the skills to do this :( If someone wants to work on my idea then it is here:

On 5 April 2016 at 7:31 AM, RA3236 said:

On 4/9/2016 at 9:16 AM, RA3236 said:

Okay. It turns out I do not have the skills to do this :( If someone wants to work on my idea then it is here:

I had a stab at making the shuttle, but to be honest I'm not even sure if this is what you had in mind.  At least it is stable in flight!

The Mk1-2 command pod has docking ports and parachutes.  It can separate itself from the rest of the craft in an emergency.

The service module is also decouple-able and has wings, a service bay and two thuds.

A large cargo bay is underneath the CSM which can turn and dock after circularisation.  Why you would want to do this I'm not sure...

Haven't designed the rocket.

This was only for interests sake rather than wanting to take it further.  Not sure I'm even on the right track!

SM

Just now, Speeding Mullet said:

I had a stab at making the shuttle, but to be honest I'm not even sure if this is what you had in mind.  At least it is stable in flight!

Not exactly (I was thinking SLS Orion with wings and orange tank originally :)) but still looks cool.

If you are wondering think winged orange tank :) 

But that is extremely hard to do, so I'm gonna work on some useful Mk-1, 2.5 and 3.75 m reusable launchers.

3 hours ago, inigma said:

You guys are amazing. I love watching all the shuttles and people rank up. Congrats to all the Shuttle Commanders who have succeeded where few do.

I'd certainly like to echo this sentiment.  The challenge is a joy to admin in @FCISuperGuy's absence and it's wonderful to see all the creative designs coming through, some of which give influence to my shuttle designs :)

Well said @inigma!

SM

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Shuttle concept for the challenge that I am currently working on. Work in progress. (ver 1.1)

can take a 45 ton payload to orbit. just working on distance now. 

can do a landing on the runway though I'm not good at pictures yet. 

Engines are a series of three S3 KS-25 "Vector" engines, canted to generally pass through the CoM. four Mk55 "thud" engines which align through CoM after tank drop. and a set of twin boar boosters (non-asparagus).

seems to work well and after some more testing will post a mission for the first challenge.

Question for OP

what would be your opinion on a pair of strap-ons (stop laughing) for circulisation after initial suborbital burnout? This is with the load challenge.

also, are their any restrictions on spin stability with sepratrons due to no mods? I'm running strictly basic with my laptop.

thanks in advance.