STS Challenge v2 (Closed)

On 4/22/2016 at 9:53 AM, Ace Warbringer said:

This is a Shuttle concept for the challenge that I am currently working on. Work in progress. (ver 1.1)

can take a 45 ton payload to orbit. just working on distance now. 

can do a landing on the runway though I'm not good at pictures yet. 

Engines are a series of three S3 KS-25 "Vector" engines, canted to generally pass through the CoM. four Mk55 "thud" engines which align through CoM after tank drop. and a set of twin boar boosters (non-asparagus).

seems to work well and after some more testing will post a mission for the first challenge.

Hi there!  I'm not OP but I have taken on OP functions while he is away :)

That's a nice shuttle and may I say welcome to the forums!  Looks like the community has gained another accomplished builder so stick around and have some fun.  

Initial observations are that you could certainly clean up the balance a little.  My Buran shuttle doesn't fire it's engines at all until it reaches orbit, yet I've got away with hardly any SAS or RCS thruster blocks / Vernors.  It's a matter of repeated testing and revision which looks like the phase you are currently in so keep refining that sucker!  MY thread (link in sig) is a reasonable source of information on how you can find a little more balance, particularly with that main tank hanging off the shuttle.  Check this particular post out for a cunning fuel routing trick which keeps you balanced for longer on the way up and may reduce or negate the need for your thuds.  You may find some other nifty things in there which help with the design of your own shuttle!

Speaking of the shuttle itself It looks like a meaty one!  Would be great to see some more pictures of that when you fancy sharing!

Re: strap-ons (:D) the only permitted location is on the carrier vehicle, i.e. where you have yours currently.  None are permitted on the shuttle itself unfortunately.

Regarding spin stability with sepatrons I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  If you can clarify with more description and pictures I will adjudicate :)

SM

Thanks Speeding Mullet!

I've been lurking the forums for some time actually, but this is the first time I have tried to take an active part.

4Eg5gQc.png

img]

okay; so I'm correct in stating that this is not allowed then? a pair of strap on "thumper" SRB's (stop laughing! :D ) for circularization. ie: they are carried up into orbit then used at Apoapsis.

that means another redesign then. :huh: hmmm

BTW: this is a markedly different shuttle from the first I showed (full redesign). I'm trying for a leaderboard position on the STS badge for Payload. this will go farther then first on height, but the circulirsation burn takes all of my internal fuel without the straps (doh!). This one is fully capable of doing the job though. payload to orbit (75km) is at the 50 ton range. {one full orange tank, and two 2.5m monoprop tanks plus assorted extras} with lots of fuel to spare.

I think I can do a 2k orbit maybe even kerbosync. which is what I'm designing for. but if I need to redesign for all internal fuel for the apoapsis burn I'll need to do some engineering. (moar booster! :D)

1 hour ago, Ace Warbringer said:

okay; so I'm correct in stating that this is not allowed then?

You are correct unfortunately, but I reckon it's got to be pretty inefficient to carry all that dead weight to orbit in order to circularize on solids.  Add some booster to your booster so you can boost while you booster is my advice!

47 minutes ago, RedstoneWizard22 said:

Easy, Challange accepted

Most mods don't work in 1.1 anymore :(

Welcome to the forums @RedstoneWizard22!  A lot of mods are already updated for 1.1, check in here for the latest releases.  If they aren't currently working, but they are popular mods, then give it a few days and likelihood is they will be updated.

Seeing as I'm already mentioning 1.1 a lot I might call on @FCISuperGuy for a quick announcement :)

SM

13 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

You are correct unfortunately, but I reckon it's got to be pretty inefficient to carry all that dead weight to orbit in order to circularize on solids.  Add some booster to your booster so you can boost while you booster is my advice!

it's one of those design hackjobs I come up with. :P

something like that is a quick and dirty reply to an engineering question. It works out in dv. but as you said Mullet, its not exactly efficiency. :D

I've worked on a couple of redesigns. Ones NTR based for the orbital maneuver system, and haz DV. But I think it violates the spirit of the challenge.

the next one is entirely monoprop and OMS. And needs a bit of testing. It looks really solid so far.

Hey everyone, it's me (no, I haven't disappeared off the face of the Earth :wink: )

Unfortunately, I've been stuck with real-world commitments for a while now; unlike Kerbals, you can't blow them up with boosters... Back in February (when this was all starting), @Speeding Mullet kindly volunteered to temporarily admin this challenge while I was gone. I expected to be back within a week or two to take control again; however, real life decided to be extremely annoying, and I've been left with a huge load of work to do. Therefore, @Speeding Mullet will be continuing this challenge in a more long-term way soon on a new thread (to be created soon - will be linked in this post upon creation). I'll be asking mods to lock this thread shortly. Thank you for all these wonderful submissions - I'll be sure to look through them all when I get the time. Have fun, everyone! :D

-FCI