Petition: Return to VBulletin!

MedwedianPresident

Do you support the petition?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Voter names are public since it is a petition.

11 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

vBulletin is one of, and probably THE most versatile forums there is. It can be endlessly modded and customized. Everything you've been told it can not do and IPB can is a lie.

Thanks, but I've been administrating forums for well over a decade.  Kinda know my onions.

Pretty familiar with what vb can do and its extensibility (or lack of, under vb5).  Fact is that Vb4 is old, clunky, end-of-line and was never really finished (the lead devs were ousted in the InternetBrands takeover and ended up creating xenforo).  The mod support you speak of has been dying for some time and, right now, other products offer an easier default installation, which appears to be something Squad value.

vb is probably the most feature-rich and mature product, but it sure ain't the future.

I don't like some of the things about the new forums, but I do think that SQUAD wouldn't pick an inherently worse forum.  On the user end, it may seem to be a downgrade, but SQUAD said that there were security and support issues for Vbulletin, and I would be far more unhappy if my E-mail was stolen.

7 hours ago, PB666 said:

gonna is not a word, going to is two words.

Hey, ok the new forum has problems, we need to work with sys ops to fix the problems.

While I normally would be leading the charge about the new forum and missing the old one, to be honest, I can learn to get to like the new one. The features I miss about the old forum were the blogs because I could actually see a use for them. I do wish we had more formatting options, such as tables and such just to help with the aesthetics of the forum. While I did like the old forum, the mobile app did not work. Plain and simple...

My question, as should be the question of the hard-core users of the forum, is how can we help the management make this platform work for the KSP community. Maybe we should create a thread or maybe one of the moderators could set up an official "have suggestions on how to improve..." thread and work together to find out what this platform is truly capable of. Who knows, maybe in time, and by working with Squad, we will get a forum that will be something that meets our needs, that fulfills our desires, and simply promotes the KSP community in ways the old forum couldn't...

I'm sure we can find a better way than that. There are lots of things I'd like to see here, I miss the preview ability,  the advanced mode, and the old rep bars, the BBcode based formating, etc, but I'm hoping some extra features can be slowly added in. 

I liked the control BBcode gave. We're mostly adults, or older kids here. It's not like we had trouble with it.

Edited by Tw1

The only thing I truly hate about the current forum is that text runs all the way from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen. It means that I have to resize my browser window to a smaller part of the screen to keep things readable. Do I give in to my OCD and maximize the browser? Or do I give in to my headaches and resize the browser? Choices, choices…

Then there's the color combination which is so godawful bland and Microsoft and... yuk. Can't we have something greenish? We're a forum about a game of little green men going into space. Where does the blue come from?

But in the end, if the forum software runs well? I'd rather have a forum with some visual issues that works, than one that doesn't.

However, I will vote yes on a petition to have Comic Sans removed from the font options.

New forum is too white, too bright.
If there is a way to make the post caption background and the place around the post author more "grayish" or "blueish", that would burn out eyes much less.

Btw, inline HTML editor is CKEditor, that's why Enter inserts "double space", while Shift-Enter — a single one.
It's not "double space" — it's a paragraph (p ... /p). And not "single space" — just a "break" (br).
This is the default behaviour of CKEditor.

Another bad thing from my pov: the post datetime shown as "Friday". What is "Friday"? Which weekday is tomorrow? When was that "Friday" if I have saved the page on disk and then opened it two months later?

Edited by kerbiloid

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

New forum is too white, too bright.
If there is a way to make the post caption background and the place around the post author more "grayish" or "blueish", that would burn out eyes much less.

Try these for now:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583-welcome-to-the-new-forums/&page=15#comment-2302450
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583-welcome-to-the-new-forums/&page=15#comment-2302559

They helped my poor eyes.

The old forum I Vote for a return, my subscribed threads I visited daily to stay in touch with the posts I was interested in now gone, 4 pages worth not overly happy about that. I cant find a damn thing to personalize things, I have chat bubbles for threads that i follow, my inbox is filling up with email notifications, for us old buggers over 50 with eyesight issues its horrible. So on that note not overly impressed Kasper worked damn hard and I dont wish to knock his work but I dont like IPS at all

Edited by Virtualgenius

In Memoriam

vBulletin on the KSP Forum

2012-2015

pdZw9VY.png

The KSP community will never forget the amazing software which was banished from our forum as part of a downgrade action. We will always remember vBulletin - the thing that has made our community professional and serious.

The KSP Forum Community

2 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Dear supporters, please add this topic to your signature. It will only take you 5 minutes but it will take us a further step towards the return of vBulletin.

It really won't. The forums will not be going back to vBulletin, full stop. It's not a long term solution for the forum remaining viable.

I´m sorry, but how can you sign as the whole community? Many people like and support the change, and many people (including me) don´t care very much. There may be some things worse than on vBulletin, but there are also a lot of advantages. It´s definitely not a "downgrade action".

I'm sorry, but you cannot take your minority opinion then assume everyone agrees with you. I most definitely do not stand with you on your opinions about the new forum software. I think it's great. Am I not part of the KSP community? Because 550 posts says that I am. Or does it not matter, and I'm not part of the community because I don't agree with you? Since when did you get to decide what the community wants? I've never even seen you before you started posting these pretentious rants! Squad made a change, and a change for the better in my opinion. They're not going back. Asking Squad to return now is equivalent to yelling "RETURN TO 0.90!" several days after 1.0 has come out.

Sorry, kind of had to get that out of my system.

48 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Dear supporters, please add this topic to your signature. It will only take you 5 minutes but it will take us a further step towards the return of vBulletin.

Jesus Christ. If you don't like the new forums, leave for god's sake! Start your own bloody forum! If anyone else agrees with you, they can come over! Just go and stop pestering all of us to come with you. 

2 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

The KSP community will never forget the amazing software which was banished from our forum as part of a downgrade action. We will always remember vBulletin - the thing that has made our community professional and serious.

Seriously, as one who is most definitely not a fan of the new forum, stop.  Please.  You're just making yourself look like a petulant child, and you're not doing anyone with legitimate complaints any good.  The old forum is gone, learn to live with the new one and make it the best it can be.

...the thing that has made our community professional and serious.

My gods, sir!  You're talking about the forum for a video game!  A video game that basically centers around creating various contraptions to recreate the greatest space disasters for our amusement, or to think up new and exciting ways to horribly maim and/or kill little green men from outer space!  What the hell is "professional and serious" about that in any way?!?

Please don't get nasty with each other over a difference of opinion. People are welcome to dislike the new forum, if that is their feeling on the subject. 

That being said, there is no chance of the forum going back. Support for the old software was about to end, and it suffered from security vulnerabilities. Sorry, guys, but it's just not going to happen. 

The biggest drawback the current forums is the lack of BBCode.  Is there not a mod for IPS you can install to get BBCode?  There has to be some way to make it work.  If it weren't for the lack of BBCode there would far fewer complaints I think.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.