Petition: Return to VBulletin!

MedwedianPresident

Do you support the petition?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Voter names are public since it is a petition.

26 minutes ago, Alshain said:

The biggest drawback the current forums is the lack of BBCode.  Is there not a mod for IPS you can install to get BBCode?  There has to be some way to make it work.  If it weren't for the lack of BBCode there would far fewer complaints I think.

That would definitely be a (small) step in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

What BBCode features are you missing? I just tried some basic BBCode in the test thread and it works for me. 

How about ALL OF THEM.

If they, and I do say IF they work again it's a very recent addition.

Ladies and gentleman, it would really help keep the forum tidy and discussions flowing if each person could limit him/herself to one thread expressing an opinion about the forum change. If you've made your feelings plain in one, please do not just keep starting more. 

Merged. 

Edited by Vanamonde

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

The background of the entire forum, or just the one behind the posts?  The Stylish browser plugin can do stuff like that.

Having to use 'mods' to get some functionalities that should be avaible by default is something i very much dislike.

(Both ingame and outside of the game ;))

Especially in a browser, why should i need a special plugin for 1 single forum ? That's opening pandora's box, as we would end up needing a special plugin for each of the website we visit ?

"oh, but a plugin exist for such fonctionality, let's not care about it "is not a good point in my book :)

i like to keep both my games and my applications with as little unneeded things as possible, to keep those running as smoothly as possible as long as possible :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

How about ALL OF THEM.

If they, and I do say IF they work again it's a very recent addition.

Link tags and basic formatting tags are still parsed. Other stuff should be fine, we've also added the ability to embed HTML I think

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="zvATqgs"><a href="//imgur.com/zvATqgs">50M VersionGIF: 48,995,790 bytesGIFV: 3,613,665 bytes</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Never mind.

BBCode for tables isn't coming back, but we do have

a way

to add them now

Edited by DuoDex
no HTML, move along

44 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

Having to use 'mods' to get some functionalities that should be avaible by default is something i very much dislike.

(Both ingame and outside of the game ;))

Especially in a browser, why should i need a special plugin for 1 single forum ? That's opening pandora's box, as we would end up needing a special plugin for each of the website we visit ?

"oh, but a plugin exist for such fonctionality, let's not care about it "is not a good point in my book :)

i like to keep both my games and my applications with as little unneeded things as possible, to keep those running as smoothly as possible as long as possible :)

It's a workaround. For now you can either use the default theme or change it yourself with Stylish, perhaps in the future when all the core functionality of the new forum software the capability might be added.

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's a workaround. For now you can either use the default theme or change it yourself with Stylish, perhaps in the future when all the core functionality of the new forum software the capability might be added.

Mmh - can you say how much testing was done with the IPS architecture before the actual migration ? 

From an outsider viewpoint, it would be logic to try to have put those core mechanics in place before the migration (alpha testing a forum is not fun)

unless you were not able to do that without the full migration for reasons (or that it was really that much immediately critical to switch from VB4 to IPS)

3 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

How about ALL OF THEM.

You just quoted someone, which used to be a BB-Code. So I'd say it's already not all of them missing :P

A bit more serious, what reason is there for BBCode, except from "I AM USED TO BBCODE AND CHANGE SCARES ME"?

I actually kind of like the new forum layout, but the fact that non-latin characters get translated into some mumbo jumbo and messed up OPs is unacceptable. Maybe Squad can implement a fix so everything is more "user friendly".

Edited by Delta_8930

A bit more less serious, what reason is there for BBCode a WYSIAYG editor, except from "I AM USED TO BBCODE AND CHANGE SCARES ME" "It's the new thing and we need more SNS?"

BBCode works, has always worked, and near everyone that has used a forum in the last 10 years knows about it. This new editor just gets in my way.

Edited by steve_v

34 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

You just quoted someone, which used to be a BB-Code. So I'd say it's already not all of them missing :P

A bit more serious, what reason is there for BBCode, except from "I AM USED TO BBCODE AND CHANGE SCARES ME"?

Because even in vBulletin you often have to go into code editing mode since the WYSIWIG is so unintelligent about what you actually want.  I've posted less than 30 times on this new forum and already had to fight the editor to get what I wanted.  Why in for the love of all that is Kerbal can I not add a hyperlink to an image?  It successfully preserved the one in my signature, but I can't add a new one.  There is no way for me to go look at the code to see what it is trying to do so I can fix it.

Apparently you don't have to be a rocket scientist to play KSP, but you do if you want to use it's forums.

Edited by Alshain

31 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

I actually kind of like the new forum layout, but the fact that non-latin characters get translated into some mumbo jumbo and messed up OPs is unacceptable. Maybe Squad can implement a fix so everything is more "user friendly".

Pretty sure that's on their list. They gotta fix some other issues first, though.

14 minutes ago, steve_v said:

A bit more less serious, what reason is there for BBCode a WYSIAYG editor, except from "I AM USED TO BBCODE AND CHANGE SCARES ME" "It's the new thing and we need more SNS?"

The reason is it's simpler to use!

14 minutes ago, steve_v said:

BBCode works, has always worked, and near everyone that has used a forum in the last 10 years knows about it. This new editor just gets in my way.

"works, has always worked why we need new stuff"... That's pretty much everyone who's afraid of change. If HTML would have been used when you were young and new to the internet, you would now say "why do we need BBCode, HTML has always worked, and near everyone that has used the internet in the last 10 years knows about it".

BBCode is awkward and annoying, and hard to learn for beginners. Not everyone wants to write half-assed HTML in a forum. It's about removing entry barriers, and that's a good thing, believe it or not.

10 minutes ago, Alshain said:

There is no way for me to go look at the code to see what it is trying to do so I can fix it.

This is the primary reason I dislike the editor so much, if it actually did what I wanted I could live with it - but it doesn't, and I can't fix it.

Every post I have made so far has been a battle with the backwards behaviour of the editor, I'm sure it's fine if you have no idea how to use a computer, but it's exceedingly annoying if you do. Please give me back the code, it needn't be BBCode if you have a better alternative, but this WYSIWYG rubbish is really aggravating.

23 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

"works, has always worked why we need new stuff"... That's pretty much everyone who's afraid of change.

I notice you conveniently snipped the bit where the "new editor gets in my way"... which is the main issue.
I'm not "afraid of change" I simply dislike breaking things that work in favour of SNS that doesn't.

This new "easy" editor is annoying - it takes me about 4 attempts just to get a single damn linefeed, multi-quoting is a right royal PITA, adding  a url to an embedded image doesn't appear to work at all... the list goes on.

Add a "get out of my face and let me see the code" button to the editor and I will be quite happy with it - because just I won't use the damn thing.

23 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

The reason is it's simpler to use!

Not for me it isn't. If "simpler to use" means "designed for 5-year-olds" I want nothing to do with it.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Quote someone, and cut their quote into 5 pieces so you can answer them inline, in turn. Bonus points if you can do it without using your mouse.

Post no text but 3 YouTube videos. Then, change your mind and put the bottom one on the top.

Post a table and then later on change whether or not it's bordered, or how many columns it has.

Some of this can be done in the new forum. Some of it can't. All of it is easier if you have access to the source code.

Note: This is just the stuff I've noticed in the past day or so, of fairly limited forum use. I'm not even bringing up how hard it is to format my Squadcast Summaries now because I'd have to highlight a whole bunch of stuff and manually change the color to green over and over, instead of a quick and simple search/replace in Notepad++ before copy/pasting the workable code into the forum. Well okay I did mention it but I understand it's an edge case so am fine with just not doing it aymore. The things I posted above, on the other hand, are things you could want to do on a regular basis.

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Alt+RMB on an image and the option to add a hyperlink is given. I agree that this is not easily discoverable, but the functionality is there.

Do you plan to add a workaround for mobile users for the shift + enter and alt + rightclick commands ?

Edited by sgt_flyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.