Petition: Return to VBulletin!

MedwedianPresident

Do you support the petition?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Voter names are public since it is a petition.

And alt+rmb is "simpler" is it? Just like ctrl+rmb is simple. :rolleyes:
Why do we have this <mod>+rmb stupidity to access standard functions like copy/paste? It's counter-intuitive and awkward.
BBCode is easier, because I can type with both hands and don't need to grab the rodent every 0.5 seconds.
Yep, this forum is now completely unusable without one hand on the mouse... why am I not surprised.

Edited by steve_v

People of the angry mob: I am with you. However, vBulletin is just too outdated, despite all its greatness, to continue to be the KSP forum software. But why, mods, did you chose this platform? Why not Zoidberg Xenforo?

Edited by Sanic

Absolutely not. Even though the new forums have some issues like a bland and eyesore-inducing theme, these are minor things that can be fixed either by using third-party software (Stylish) or by simply waiting for a patch. The WYSIWIG editor will take some getting used to, but overall it makes it much easier to format posts now that you don't need to press "Preview Post" every time to see what your post will look like, especially if you've added complex BBCode to it. This makes it much easier to make sure you get things right the 1st time. Also, it's a lot more polished and faster (at least for me)!

Here's my mini [RANT]

This new forum feels like Facebook. Simplistic, with no room for other colour or style. Please, PLEASE, let us be able to realign it ourselves or something.

I want my BBCode please and thank you, this WYSIWYG editor is killing me inside out. At least let us choose between the two. [/RANT]

Anyone, TLDR: I don't support going back to vBulletin, but I don't support the current state of the forum. I support a compromise. 

You might wonder why I picked both. Initially, I did want vBulletin back. But I trusted the moderators in the decision, and knew that their job would be easier, as well as less security issues, easier backend, blah blah blah.

Although elsewhere on the forum you can find a list of my gripes with the new forum, I'm in the 'no' camp.

At the end of the day, the old forums were becoming unsupportable.  That's a situation I can sympathize a great deal with from an admin pov.

Rather than reverting, effort is much better spent improving the functionality of what we have currently, especially considering the most frequent complaint I've observed seems to be the visual look of the forum - something I assume could be fixed relatively easily by tweaking the colour scheme.

13 hours ago, Engineer of Stuff said:

You guys don't understand. Vbulletin has major security problems, and is getting old.

What did Roblox do?

What did Roblox do?! This will be off topic, but I have to explain for you to under stand this.

Back in the years like 2009-10, Roblox have a UI that was similar to vBulletin4. Anyway, it was nice, the buttons have volume, and the colours and space on screen added to an awesomely fun experience. Now, go to Roblox and you'll find that it also has the flat look, vast amounts of unused screen space, and ugly colour combos, making a terrible experience for anyone playing before the "upgrade"

Yes, I used to and still do play Roblox

<opinion>

While I must digress, vBulletin is far from perfect, the new system is in itself flawed, as well. Here's why:

It's unfamiliar: I've only been on the forums for about two years now, and vBulletin's formatting, colour, and BBCode schemes seemed much more effective and now I feel like I've been hit by a bait-n-switch.

BBCode is WYSIWYG: This is simply irritating. I'd prefer to have the more complicated codes be able to be applied to this forum, personally.

It' sort of ugly: As someone used to the forums of Elite: Dangerous, Beamng.drive, Besiege, and pretty much anything Steam Community, this format seems empty and lifeless. I know it's been discussed before, but this site feels less like a forum and more of a social network. Clutter is actually part of the personality of a forum, and even more so in the haphazard KSP universe.

Conclusion: vBulletin is dead. There's no going back, it's just not safe. However, whilst this is a security improvement, it's not even close to the same. There have to be other parties that can make a forum that resembles the classic KSPForum, but without the risk.

</opinion>

1 hour ago, jros83 said:

This is a business decision. They will not listen to any petition about it. You have to be realistic.

Don't flame me for speaking reality please...

True. But anybody that suggested and executed a decision this poorly should get fired.

18 minutes ago, razark said:

My subscriptions aren't.

I agree that it sucks that people's subscriptions got cleared. However, we don't know whose fault that was. Does the person who carried out the move deserve to be fired due to something that was completely beyond their control? That would be like firing the entire devteam because KSP physics can't use multiple cores.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

It was not beyond their control. All issues we're now frustrated by should have been dealt with BEFORE the migration.

When your car needs replacing do you blindly buy another one only to realize the next day it lacks tires? And seats. And a wind shield, A roof. Lights. Etc. No of course not! You make sure it works and meets all your requirements. You take it for a test drive. Clearly this has not been done with the forum.

2 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

It was not beyond their control. All issues we're now frustrated by should have been dealt with BEFORE the migration.

When your car needs replacing do you blindly buy another one only to realize the next day it lacks tires? And seats. And a wind shield, A roof. Lights. Etc. No of course not! You make sure it works and meets all your requirements. You take it for a test drive. Clearly this has not been done with the forum.

As one of the people involved in testing, I take a bit of umbrage at this. It is simply not possible to test every scenario, nor is it practical to put it under the sort of load that it undergoes when released publicly, nor do you see all the things that got fixed before the migration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.