Tags - Should we not have some guidance?

PB666

I was looking at the tags thing today, trying to give my threads tags and soon ran into the problem what are the best tags.

One rule, loose the word science in the tags, since this is a science group adding ...... science' is probably redundany

for example:

'Atmospheric' prolly suffices as a tag

The other problem is nouns as tags

For example:

universe. Technically this might be Holo-universal observations, or it could be CMBR, but CMBR does not cover pre-reionization nuetrino emmisions. (double tag)
galaxy or (extragalactic). Technically this would be extragalactic observations but that seems too long.

Weapons. Technically this would be Space weapons, but we can assume that weapons in this group would entail a space use aspect.

Before we get to far into the tagging we should have a consensus as to what is good etiquette?

Why not just use common sense?

If you really feel the need to put tags at all, pick one or two that first come to your mind. Don't try to overthink it. If it's not intuitive, it's useless.

Edited by Shpaget

That was my thought, but the problem i have found with the old forum is searchability of a tpoic, in some cases i never could recover information that i knew was posted because of the poorish search engine. If we come up with some guidelines then the tags would make searching material much easier. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.