[1.1.2]: Danger Alerts v1.2, 2016-04-23

Norpo

Mod Edit: This thread has been closed, and can be reopened by request of the OP.

6P8JLUx.png

Danger Alerts adds alerts that trigger while your ship is crashing, burning, and all around not having a good time.

It also adds a simple interface that let's you silence, or modify exactly when the alarms go off. Currently, there are two alarms: one for when you're about to crash, and a highly configurable resource alarm for when you're running low on electricity, life support, or fuel. If you have any suggestions, bugs to report, or opinions on your favourite type of potato chip, please post here. I'll reply as soon as I can.

Download here: SpaceDock Dropbox v1.2 (Or use CKAN)

FAQ:

Q: Is the alarm auditory or visual?:

A: The alarm uses a sound, a harsh *twang* sound on repeat, and the toolbar icon changes colour to red.

Q: I want to download this, but I'm not sure if I want the alarm on ALL the time.

A: No problem, the sound can be disabled easily in-game.

Q: You should add/do/implement/make sure/fix "X". Can you do that?

A: Maybe, suggest it to me on this thread and i'll see if it can be done.

Q: Is this in the CKAN?

A: Yes! It's listed under "Danger Alerts"

Q: I found something that I'm 90% sure is a bug; where can I report it?

A: Here! Just make a post on this thread and i'll reply ASAP.

----------

Known Bugs:

• None; for now.

Source is available on GitHub.

License: Danger Alerts is licensed under the MIT license. See LICENSE.txt in the download for details, or see this link

No pics; no clicks:

I like this idea, but can you change if from a Kerbal talking to a master alarm like sound? Since I have chatterer already installed and that won't sound any different. Ruining the whole "Warning" aspect.

Also, this is very similar to another mod more built for planes than landers... but it speaks the altitude.

13 hours ago, vixr said:

I would love to see this somehow warn me of an un-crewed craft about to undock from a station. I mean like the instant I mouse over the docking port. because I'm an idiot

Hm, that's a good idea, I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'll put it in the bucket list. It also gives me an idea, maybe alerts for other frequently forgotten things could help, like a "low ElectricalCharge" alert.

13 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

This looks promising! Some flashing red lights in the IVA view would be a nice touch. :D

That's a great idea! I'll have to see if that's possible (apparently IVA is notoriously difficult to mess with) but i'll give it a shot once all the other features I want/need are done. It would definitely add some flavor to the mod, maybe I could also auto-force kerbals to be scared (Except for BadS ones, of course :))

10 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I like this idea, but can you change if from a Kerbal talking to a master alarm like sound? Since I have chatterer already installed and that won't sound any different. Ruining the whole "Warning" aspect.

I worried about that when I made the sound, I'll change the default sound in the next version, to be honest it was just a debug sound I made. I'll try to make it sound more like a classic alert sound in the next version. (I'll still bundle the old sound with it for anyone who wants to keep it, they can just re-name it.)

v1.1 Status Update: The next version is coming along nicely, it'll have the menu be persistent between quicksaves/loads/reverts, so you don't need to reset your settings every time. I'm also looking into adding a .cfg file for the mod, so that it can remain persistent between game loads too; but I have no idea how that would work, but no time like the present, right? I also added a volume slider, just in case you're listening to music or something and the default "half-volume" doesn't work for you. :)  I'll also look into improving the "lithobraking alert system" algorithm to be more complex so that it behaves different on Tylo than Gilly, for instance, obviously gravity would make a huge difference into your speed tolerance for "danger", but no promises for it coming into 1.1.

As always, if you have any suggestions, comments, or bug reports, for absolutely anything about Danger Alerts, please let me know! I'll always be willing to listen to them.

Danger Alerts Version v1.0.1 is released! (The version mentioned in the previous post was reclassified as a minor release.)

Changes in v1.0.1:

Added Master Volume control.
Made toolbar icon change colour when in danger.
Changed alert sound.
Made GUI options persistent between opening and closing the game, reverts, and quicksaves.

BUGFIXES:

Fixed bug with GUI where it would always change Tolerance even when other controls were outside of limits.
Fixed bug where sometimes in high, suborbital altitudes on some bodies the collision alarm would activate for no apparent reason.

If you find any bugs, or have any suggestions, please post in this thread. :)

Download v1.0.1 here: KerbalStuff

While I don't think I'd want "impending crash" warnings (the way I fly they'd be going off all the time!), but I would really like an audio warning for mods that add life support.  Any plans to add support for life support mods?

I actually have a very specific want here; I'd like the audio sample from Firefly (ep 8 - Out of Gas) which says  "Life support failure. Check oxygen levels at once" (and then repeats in Chinese) to play when a craft is running low on life support. That would make me a very happy nerd! 

Also a configurable alarm for fuel levels (ie being able to set an alarm for a specific stage to go off when fuel available to that stage goes below a certain %).  The stage and % would need to be configurable as we all have different definitions of what "low on fuel" is!

Nice concept though @Norpo

15 hours ago, katateochi said:

While I don't think I'd want "impending crash" warnings (the way I fly they'd be going off all the time!), but I would really like an audio warning for mods that add life support.  Any plans to add support for life support mods?

I actually have a very specific want here; I'd like the audio sample from Firefly (ep 8 - Out of Gas) which says  "Life support failure. Check oxygen levels at once" (and then repeats in Chinese) to play when a craft is running low on life support. That would make me a very happy nerd! 

Also a configurable alarm for fuel levels (ie being able to set an alarm for a specific stage to go off when fuel available to that stage goes below a certain %).  The stage and % would need to be configurable as we all have different definitions of what "low on fuel" is!

Nice concept though @Norpo

@katateochi, Low fuel alerts are definitely planned, life support is more of a "maybe", some mods already implement alerts for that, but if I get fuel alerts working then I'm sure it would be possible to get low life support alerts working; life support is just another type of fuel, after all. :) 

As for the life support sound, in theory if I add a sound specific to life support, then any sound could be put in there by just replacing a file, so if I put in a life support alert you could put in any sound you want in there. :)

v1.0.2/v1.1 update: The mod is functional, such as it is, but it's definitely not finished, as I'll want to add more alerts soon, and currently the code barely has any sort of support for multiple alerts, so I'll have to rewrite quite a bit of code. That's okay, though, it needed rewriting anyways. I was getting tired of looking at that quick hack that is DangerAlertCore's Update() method anyways.

After I add extra alerts, I want to add an "overview" screen, like the stock engineers report, but in-flight. It will include all the alerts currently active, like low-electrical charge, and the like. That way Danger Alerts won't just be for landing on planets, it will be for in-flight, making-sure-everything-is-okay.

That's in the future though; right now the goal is to get the collision alert working so that it has fewer false alarms, making the code support different alarms better, and getting the GUI to look like it wasn't cobbled together in a few minutes because I needed a GUI to test settings (..which is actually the truth). After that however; more alerts and functionality is the goal, including low-fuel/electricity alerts and life support alerts. If the new GUI and rewrites get done fast enough; the next update will probably have low-fuel alerts, or a heat alert.

Also, KSP 1.1 is coming sometime in early 2016, with Unity 5, which means that I may have to spend a bit of time fixing things once that comes out.

...In other news, Danger Alerts has over 250 downloads!

Here's my current to-do list, for anyone interested.

Spoiler

Add a Heat Alert

Improve impact prediction algorithm

Make compatible with the Toolbar add-on

Add low fuel alerts, customisable by user

add life support support (hehe)

Completely overhaul GUI to support multiple alerts

Completely overhaul Core, Settings, Sound, and GUI to support multiple alerts (so... everything?)

Add "overview" screen, that shows you all alerts currently active

Add "visual" alerts to the IVA, like red blinking lights for extremely critical alerts

As always, suggestions, and bug reports are always welcome. :)

This looks cool! I like the idea of having beeping noises that are actually useful instead of the pointless ones in Chatterer (which I promptly replaced with the tracks from Interstellar from AVP.) All in all, this mod looks promising. I'll play with it tomorrow. :)

Edit: +1 on the 1202 idea. Also, if this was integrated with DangIt that would be awesome, like all the lights turn on when something decides to explode.

Edit #2: I see the CKAN icon on kerbalstuff, but I don't see it on CKAN. It's ok for me though, this is a really simple mod to install.

Edit #3: Can we have the "Imperfect contact" from Interstellar when not docking very well?

You know what, just put in as many references as possible.

I can't seem to remove this :P

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

This looks cool! I like the idea of having beeping noises that are actually useful instead of the pointless ones in Chatterer (which I promptly replaced with the tracks from Interstellar from AVP.) All in all, this mod looks promising. I'll play with it tomorrow. :)

Edit: +1 on the 1202 idea. Also, if this was integrated with DangIt that would be awesome, like all the lights turn on when something decides to explode.

Edit #2: I see the CKAN icon on kerbalstuff, but I don't see it on CKAN. It's ok for me though, this is a really simple mod to install.

Edit #3: Can we have the "Imperfect contact" from Interstellar when not docking very well?

You know what, just put in as many references as possible.

Thanks! I actually hadn't thought about DangIt integration; I'll add it to the list of possibilities, though it will be somewhat low priority for now. I'd like to get my mod playing nice entirely with stock before thinking about getting it to work with other mods.

Interesting about the CKAN bit; I'll look into getting it into the CKAN as soon as possible. As far as I can tell it's just raising a GitHub issue with a formatted file attached, so it shouldn't be too hard... Getting it on the CKAN will make it accessable to more users; so I'll work on that right away.

I'd like to avoid blatant references in the sounds; copyright and all that, plus keeping it somewhat stockalike. Nothings stopping you from changing the sounds in your own install, however :)

1 hour ago, TheOfficialStorm said:

Can we change the alert sound? I'd love mine to scream "JOHN CEENNNNNAAAAAA"

In theory, you can set the sound to anything, just replace the normalAlert.wav in GameData/DangerAlerts/Sounds to any other file (just be sure it's named normalAlert.wav, and that it's actually a .wav file, no idea if it will accept an .mp3, but I haven't tried :))

Perhaps a workaround to the "IVAs are hard" would be use of RasterPropMonitor. I'm pretty sure you could do flashy lights and loud noises with that. I mean, look what the illustrious BahamutoD did in the Mk22 cockpits.

Also, I second the idea of integration with DangIt. Perhaps even deeper than simply telling you when something goes wrong, as in the alerts themselves can fail. False positives, false negatives, general anomalous readings... you get the drift.

19 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Perhaps a workaround to the "IVAs are hard" would be use of RasterPropMonitor. I'm pretty sure you could do flashy lights and loud noises with that. I mean, look what the illustrious BahamutoD did in the Mk22 cockpits.

Also, I second the idea of integration with DangIt. Perhaps even deeper than simply telling you when something goes wrong, as in the alerts themselves can fail. False positives, false negatives, general anomalous readings... you get the drift.

I'll look into RasterPropMonitor if I want to try to get it working with IVAs, thanks for the suggestion. That's probably *way* in the future though for now.

As for DangIt integration, I kind of want the alerts to remain consistent and not fail themselves; I would *hate* to have an alert going off randomly, meaning I have to go into the settings, turn off the sound, then remember to turn the sound on again after I fix it... Still, if enough people suggest it, it can probably be done. I kind of see the alerts being a convenience feature more than anything though; like action groups. But DangIt integration is probably not going to be here for a while; so that may change between now and then, who knows.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Any chance to get this in CKAN?

Working on getting it in the CKAN right now; stay tuned. For some reason netkan.exe seems to be giving me an error validating the file even though I followed the instructions, and I don't want to risk submitting a file to the repository that doesn't work. Still; it's being worked on and is currently top priority. :)

EDIT: The mod is currently being indexed in the CKAN, if it's not in the CKAN now, it should be very soon. Now! It's available in CKAN now. :)

In other news; progress! Low fuel/resource alerts are possible (and easier than I thought), the only problem is implementing it well, I'm thinking it would be best to let the user decide which resources they want alerts for; and how important the alert is for them. If I do that; then it also means it is, by definition; mod compatible, and with ANY mod that adds resources. The only problem is implementing it like that requires me to implement a new GUI, and possibly "alert priorities", and some other things to keep the code neat and clean, so it's easier in the future to add more alerts. Better to get things done right the second time around; than never at all, right? Therefore; the next update to Danger Alerts will probably have to add everything in one fell swoop; new GUI, new alert priority system, new alert-backend system; everything. Better to get everything done right, then release, than release an almost-done-but-not-quite feature which will be near-useless and just annoying. In other words; the next release will take a while, but it will come with a lot of new features and (hopefully) improve the mod.

Also, Danger Alerts was featured in Modding Monday, which is nice. :)

Edited by Norpo
It's in the CKAN now!

I just had a problem where I was deliberately crashing a probe into the Mun.  I started getting the warning, it crashed and the game then crashed.  Not sure if it was this mod, it hasn't happened again.

Also, looking at the settings window, the fields aren't lined up properly.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just had a problem where I was deliberately crashing a probe into the Mun.  I started getting the warning, it crashed and the game then crashed.  Not sure if it was this mod, it hasn't happened again.

Also, looking at the settings window, the fields aren't lined up properly.

Hm, odd, until it can be reproduced though, I'm going to assume that it's a KSP-side error and not a Danger Alerts error; When crashing at high velocities the game can sometimes crash as well in my experience. It's rare, but it can happen. Still, I'll be on the look-out for it happening in my game.

As for the "fields not lined up" bit, that's mildly intentional, a quick hack, and it bugs me too. It will be fixed in the next release of Danger Alerts, along with the new GUI design for supporting settings for multiple types of alerts. The current (old) GUI was never meant to be pretty, it just had to work until I had the patience and knowledge to make a better one.

Hopefully this answered your questions, @linuxgurugamer :)

• 2 weeks later...

Danger Alerts 1.1 is released! Huzzah!

Changes:

Completely overhauled GUI, it now looks like it wasn't made just to test random things out :)
Added a new kind of alert, "Resource Alerts", alerts you when you're running low on a resource. Completely adjustable, and you can have more than one.
Changed a whole bunch of stuff on the back-end.

Bug-Fixes:

No bugs found, so none fixed.

Download here: KerbalStuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Unlucky said:

Link is dead. :(

Thanks; I'll cross it out. For the time being; use the Dropbox mirror (linked in the OP).

I'll upload Danger Alerts to SpaceDock once I make the new version for KSP 1.1 when it comes out.