New Pinned Thread in Addon Discussions -Poll

mcirish3

Add-on release Mod list Pinned Thread  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Pinned Thread in Addon Discussions that contained recommended Mod lists organized by various categories?

• Great Idea
    • I guess
    • No thanks, I don't think it is needed
    • No way, stupid idea

All of this below is now irrelevant.  Per RIC: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126746-new-pinned-thread-in-addon-discussions-poll/&do=findComment&comment=2307233

--Ok so we got a new forum.  So I got at request.  Could we get a sub forum where users could submit mod lists.  Such as their favorite mods, mods they think are essential, mods that improve career mode etc. etc.

This would be super cool and bring a new aspect to the Addon section.  It would also give less visible mods a chance to shine.

I am sure there could be problems and rules needed but boy would it make life easier if you find a list with exactly the mods you like to use.  And think about how many new users could be helped.

Further explanation of my reasoning:

On 12/1/2015, 4:20:10, KasperVld said:

Just a question that pops up in my head, why couldn't these lists be posted in the Add-ons discussion forum?

FIrst, Mod list threads, due to their lower comment traffic, very quickly get buried in all the Mod traffic.  This has the rather strong effect of making it impossible to keep track of a list of you run across one and don't choose to follow it, making it impossible to easily compare list if you can find them at all.  Having your list quickly pushed off of the all important front page makes it a dead letter.  Almost no one will see it at all.  Taking the time to create and maintain a list is hardly worth the time of posting on the forum if almost no one is going to even see it.  I would argue that far more people would share their mod list than those who currently do if there was a convenient way to ensure that it would not get lost in the noise.  A place where other list could be compared and the community could collaborate, brain storm, and inspire each other,  in a meaningful and useful ways.  

Second, I know I almost never go into the discussion forum and I think most users are this way, that is primarily a forum for, from what I have seen, those wishing to contribute ideas for mods or are mod creator's themselves.  I would venture to bet the vast majority of traffic is through the Add-ons release forum, and since these list would be lists of released mods it would seem more appropriate in Addon-Release forum.

On 12/1/2015, 6:00:51, stibbons said:

I think they're at home in the Add-ons release forum, tagged as modlists.

Hmm I am not sure the mod list tag will cover it.  You have to remember to search on that tag to find the lists and the person posting has to remember to use that tag as well.

Edited by mcirish3
Changed focus of thread

14 hours ago, KasperVld said:

Just a question that pops up in my head, why couldn't these lists be posted in the Add-ons discussion forum?

FIrst, Mod list threads, due to their lower comment traffic, very quickly get buried in all the Mod traffic.  This has the rather strong effect of making it impossible to keep track of a list of you run across one and don't choose to follow it, making it impossible to easily compare list if you can find them at all.  Having your list quickly pushed off of the all important front page makes it a dead letter.  Almost no one will see it at all.  Taking the time to create and maintain a list is hardly worth the time of posting on the forum if almost no one is going to even see it.  I would argue that far more people would share their mod list than those who currently do if there was a convenient way to ensure that it would not get lost in the noise.  A place where other list could be compared and the community could collaborate, brain storm, and inspire each other,  in a meaningful and useful ways.  

Second, I know I almost never go into the discussion forum and I think most users are this way, that is primarily a forum for, from what I have seen, those wishing to contribute ideas for mods or are mod creator's themselves.  I would venture to bet the vast majority of traffic is through the Add-ons release forum, and since these list would be lists of released mods it would seem more appropriate in Addon-Release forum.

12 hours ago, stibbons said:

I think they're at home in the Add-ons release forum, tagged as modlists.

Hmm I am not sure the mod list tag will cover it.  You have to remember to search on that tag to find the lists and the person posting has to remember to use that tag as well.

Also as I have discovered searching by tag is actually a pain back side.  I am not sure why something that is supposed to make things easier is harder to use than a normal search but that is how the forum is set up.   Another reason why your solution is not the best solution.  
All that said, I guess this is all irrelevant since it looks like this thread couldn't gather enough eyes to even make a go of it.  I do not feel it is because no one would use such a sub forum.  I rather feel it is because the Kerbal network is poorly visited and because it is hard to prove a new product will be beneficial if it hasn't been tried before or even tested.  How do you test the worthiness to be created of a thing when the very test requires the creation that thing?

Edited by mcirish3

I'm not sure this needs a whole subforum, or even more than one thread. IMO a single thread (stickied, maybe?) in General Add-on Affairs where everyone could post their mod lists would be more than sufficient.

I strongly disagree that modlists belong in Add-On Releases, that subforum has high enough traffic as is and is meant for actual mods rather than lists of recommendations.

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'm not sure this needs a whole subforum, or even more than one thread. IMO a single thread (stickied, maybe?) in General Add-on Affairs where everyone could post their mod lists would be more than sufficient.

I strongly disagree that modlists belong in Add-On Releases, that subforum has high enough traffic as is and is meant for actual mods rather than lists of recommendations.

RIC thank you for offering a reasonable solution.  I will try and put together a landing page for this, this weekend when I have more time.  It would seem reasonable since it is my idea that I should do the work of posting the thread and maintaining the landing page.

That said, I do not think the thread will fly without a pin, no matter what forum it is placed in.  It takes time for something new like this to get traction and I think it would get buried before that happened.

However I am not sure I understand the logic of putting it in General Add-on Affairs (did you mean  Add-on Discussions ?).  If you are looking for a Mod to DL you go to the Add-on Releases Forum. I am not sure I why people would think to go to the Add-On Discussions forum to look for a thread that contains various recommended lists of released mods. To me this falls under the same category as the currently pinned thread in Add-On Release that tracks all the mods.  Your thoughts?

Edited by mcirish3

Ah, forgot that it got renamed in the migration. :) I was thinking that is the place because that is where mod recommendations are usually requested and made. The Mod Repository is more of an index of major mods without endorsement or recommendation.

Plus I think it will really turn into a discussion. People will want to ask why some prefer certain mods over others, or for recommendations to fill a hole in their lineup. And I think it will help people rebuild their add-on subscription lists.

I would suggest some guidelines for the thread:

• Please include links to the mods.
  • Include the KSP Version being used.
  • One post per poster with a list, can have multiple lists in that post. Additional posts for discussion are fine.
  • OP should contain links to posts with lists, with usernames, and keep it updated. ;)
  • Absolutely no discussion of cheating or MechJeb pros/cons.

It's a great idea for a thread, would you mind PMing me your OP before starting it up?

30 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's a great idea for a thread, would you mind PMing me your OP before starting it up?

Thank You, and I will be more than happy to PM you with the OP before starting the thread.  As I said above it will be a couple days due to work and other obligations before I will have things ready.  Thank you again for the help :) 

Edited by mcirish3

2 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

How do I delete this ????

You don't. If you mean the thread, you can ask a moderator to lock it, but all public discussion (except that which violates rules of decency) remains public. If you mean that post, just edit it to "oops I misposted."

Edited by 5thHorseman