Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 87: "Among the growing shadows."]

adsii1970

39 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes, they are. would you like me to extract them for you and send that part of the mod to you? I've grown accustomed to cherry-picking the mod parts I use. If it has no purpose, I weed it out!

Yes, please. But no hurry, I'll be writing today, and probably not get a chance to play until tomorrow.

Howdy, folks! Just wanted you to know that I've got the images ready for the next chapter. I've decided to do something very... unique this time. In every other chapter, there will be a small walk-on "cameo" made by those who regularly read this story. I'm not promising the characters will become a "key" character or used in multiple chapters, but they will be there. If you're user name is chosen, you'll be tagged in a footnote of that chapter.

With that said, there are some "regulars" who are friends whose characters have already appeared (or planned to have been used). These are:

• J. Jim Kerman: (@Just Jim). Television producer, independent researcher...
  • Kuzzter Kerman: (@Kuzzter). Works at the KSC tracking center. He is known for his uncanny ability to track where space debris will impact within 50 meters. It's not time to panic or evacuate until you see him grabbing his snacks and hat and rapidly leaving the building...
  • Angelo Kerman: (@Angel-125). He's an engineer and systems designer who works with Dr. Wernher. There will be a falling out in a few chapters over his belief that Dr. Wernher is being too "cautious" in his development of new equipment. So, at the prompting of Dr. Haywood, he founds his own company... :D You'll start seeing some of this in the upcoming chapter.

Plock 1, Y003
"Gene... Are you sure? How's Jebediah going to handle this?" 
Chapter 37

I've been back at the KSC for eight days but it has been four days since my last entry.  On the 28th of Neidon, we began what Gene called intensive simulator training. It has definitely lived up to that name. Normally, when we are training for a mission, we will spend anywhere from one to three hours in the simulator, depending on what the simulator scenario is. But the 38th - things were different. Shortly after the normal morning briefing, Gene announced the assignments for the day. Our simulator session was scheduled to begin at 1:25 and end at 2:30 - on the 39th! Over seven hours straight in the simulator! The other major difference about this simulator was its setup. the new simulator and pilot training building has added a new simulator to train us on the new command module we will be using for the next three missions. Although the module is designed for five, we still have not made final selections for the new crew members. We've narrowed it down to four candidates - and each one will be evaluated in a series of simulated missions.

Gilti, Karloff, and myself had the opportunity after our simulator ended to visit the vehicle assembly building. Dr. Wernher invited us to come and see the core components of our next craft. Unlike our previous craft for the Minimus missions, this one is a lot bigger. It has an airlock, radial docking ports, and an expanded command module.

TWJ2W3h.jpg?1

"Right now, it doesn't look like much, Commander Kerny," Dr. Wernher said. "But with this design, we will be adding more components once she's in orbit. She'll have two propulsion units which will utilize a new style of LFO engine. The third component will attach to the remaining docking port and will have two landers, a science lab, and a large solar array."

He then went to tell us the craft will remain in orbit once each of the next three missions are completed. We'll dock with a landing craft. A crew of engineers will replace us as we prepare for our next mission. "Commander, this is an exciting time for our society..." he added. Although he knows about the future mission my crew and I will be on, he was careful not to mention it in front of my crew. As a part of Section 31, I have access to information on every aspect of Kerbin society, including the space program. And because of this, Gene and Dr. Haywood have asked me not to share information with my crew until it becomes a "need to know" situation. And at this point, neither Gene or Dr. Haywood feel it is necessary to tell my crew they are Duna bound.

Later that day, Gene briefed my crew and I on the assignments for the next two days. Gilti was assigned to more simulator training. The new command module has a new docking system and Gene wants her to be as proficient with it as she has become with the older system. Karloff and I were sent to the small conference room in the tracking center for a meeting with Dr. Haywood and Gene. It turned out our mission was to test a new version of what's been called a "medium" lander. The new lander had an extra fuel tank, larger landing legs, and two sets of drogue chutes and two main chutes. The new lander was set on top of a small booster assembly - not enough to achieve orbit, but an altitude of 12,000 meters. At that altitude, we were to jettison the booster and attempt a landing with chutes and main engine, landing on the surface of Kerbin at a speed of about 10 meters per second or less. Then, with the remaining fuel in the lander, achieve an altitude of 7,500 meters, and see if a "parachute landing only" could be achieved. 

hOiJAnS.jpg

eHKoxlI.jpg

JGuYZXV.jpg

whFlISc.jpg

The first part of the mission went fine. I'll be completely honest in saying that it was unnerving to hear the moaning and creaking of the lander as the first set of drogue chutes deployed. "Sir, according to the specifications given to me by Dr. Wernher, she can handle it..." I know that Karloff was trying to reassure me, but it wasn't very convincing. His facial expressions were not reflecting what he was saying to me.

hWMxtZr.jpg

At about 6,500 meters, a new popping sound was heard throughout the lander as the drogue chute lines were released and the main chute deployed. Just as with the simulator training the previous day, I called out, "Main engine ignition in 3... 2... 1... and with that, I engaged the main engine. Immediately our air speed dropped from 78 meters per second to 50... then 30... and at about 60 meters from the surface, the lander slowed to seven meters per second. About the time the indicator lights showed the lander legs touched the surface of Kerbin, we heard a loud bang and then every master alarm in the lander went off.

HCeMRbe.jpg

During the post-mission briefing, Gene said Dr. Wernher had told him the problem was nothing Karloff or myself had done wrong. There had been a mistake in the design. The main engine bell did not have the clearance that previous landers had. "Boys, those pencil pushing geeks wanted to maximize the power you had available. So certain sacrifices were made - against the advice of Dr. Haywood and Harrison. One of those sacrifices was the standing requirement that the lander legs must be able to hold the craft high enough so the engine bell has half a meter clearance from the surface. In this case, it was less than about ten centimeters! Nevertheless, the mistake in the design meant we could not do the parachute-only landing.

After this morning's briefing, Gene had Bobak pass out the day's assignments. Gilti is scheduled for more simulator time - about an hour's worth, then she is on furlough until the 3rd of Plock. Both Karloff and myself were on furlough, also until the 3rd of Plock. Gene told me I had an optional assignment - a test flight of a new craft - I could take if I wanted. "Gene, count me in! You know I love to fly..."

Before I could finish my sentence, Gene interrupted, "Great, I knew you'd do it. Report to Angelo and Harrison at the space plane hangar. They'll brief you there..." and with that, I was out the door, nearly sprinting to the space plane hangar.

Harrison and Angelo had been working on a project during their off-hours. "I'm not sure I agree with their rushing this project through, but it's your call, Commander." Dr. Wernher added to their briefing. "Kerbally, I think we should slow down and test the design a bit more before we put it in the air. After all, the Koos Mk 1 design isn't even a year old yet. Now here's the Mk 2..."

"Sir," I made no effort to hide my excitement. "I'll take the chance..." and with that, I climbed into the cockpit of the Mk 2, and proceeded to taxi to the end of the runway. So far, so good.

4VpnE5E.jpg

"Tower, this is Kahob," simply following the protocols. "Request clearance for takeoff..."

"Roger, Kahob, this is KSC Tower, you are cleared for takeoff. Normal airspace assignment for experimental craft..."

And with that signal from Kuzzter, I gave the Mk 2 full throttle. Although a continuation of the Koos basic design, she was a completely new aircraft.

Al8qoCe.jpg

dXeILrr.jpg

Just like the Mk 1, within a quarter of the length of the runway, the craft had already hit 62 meters per second - and on a hunch, I pulled back on the stick. Jebediah taught me that 72 meters per second was the optimal speed for most small jet-powered aircraft. But once the Mk 2 passed 50 meters per second, the front end of the craft began to lift off the runway. So it really didn't surprise me that at 62 meters per second the plane jumped into the air! Within what seemed like a few seconds, I was heading out to the Island Air Field at approximately 287.5 meters per second.

"Tracking, this is Kahob..." I called in. "I am approaching Island Airfield; request further directions for flight plan..."

"Roger, Kahob. Change altitude to 7,500 meters and return to KSC. Gene's said that's enough joyriding for one day..." Kuzzter's voice called out over the headset.

I couldn't resist one last test of this new craft's abilities. Instead of banking to the north or south to return to the KSC, I decided to take her up and over.  "Tracking, this is Kahob, requesting permission to do a fly-by of the tower..." Not only had I planned to fly past the tower and do a west-to-east landing, I planned to do it my way...

IAHWzPO.jpg

"Kahob...Kerny... Gene said no..." Although it was Kuzzter who was directing flight traffic, I could hear Bobak in the background urging me on. "Bobak, you know you've been told not to encourage bad behavior from the pilots..." Kuzzter added. Too late... I blew past the tower at 380 meters per second, at an altitude of 200 meters, and inverted. "Gods, Kerny - now that was sweet! Oh, and Gene now wants to see you when you land..."

Yeah, Uh oh. What seemed like a great idea now didn't seem so great. I flipped the craft over, flew out to the mountains, and began my runway approach. "Tower, this is Kahob, request landing clearance."

"Proceed on course. You are clear to land. And I want to see you NOW, Commander..." Yeah, Gene didn't sound too happy at all. I guess my buzzing the tower wasn't such a good idea after all.

By the time I arrived at the tracking center, Bobak directed me to the upstairs conference room that overlooks the room that holds Mission Control. Through the doorway, I could see Gene looking out the window. Even though I couldn't see his face, I could tell by his body language he wasn't happy. Yes, that flyby was NOT a good idea at all. At first, I wasn't aware anyone was in the room with Gene until I was actually in the room. Sitting at the conference table was Dr. Haywood and Dr. Edmund. Crap. All I can say.

Gene began to speak in a slow and deliberate manner. "Kerny, something's come up and it's been sort of a game-changer. I've already spoken with Major Ralph and Commodore Valentina about this. They concur with my recommendation, as does Dr. Edmund.

Crap, I thought. I've really screwed up now...

"Before we start, this has nothing to do with your stupid stunt. What we're doing is to prevent a problem before it happens. This is about Jebediah..." Gene added. "This morning, he boarded a plane that Dr. Haywood had ordered to return him to the KSC. We had hoped the time away from the center would have given him the opportunity to cool down and get himself together."

"But instead," Dr. Haywood interrupted, "he got into several fights, two with Bob and three with J. Jim. In fact, it was so bad that Captain Barcott* had to order him to remain in his quarters until arrangements could be made to get him back to the KSC. This morning, I was able to contact Barcott and gave orders for him to send a flight crew to bring him back."

AA1sUou.jpg

78atcJl.jpg

uPOrUyE.jpg

"So far, they are into the first hour of the flight and he's already creating more problems. He found out that Valentina has been promoted to Commodore and technically out-ranks him. We knew that him taking it hard would be a possibility. But what we didn't expect was what he did to the flight crew. He ordered Lieutenant Jala to give up her pilot's seat. He then told Lieutenant Obney that he was assuming command of the flight!" Gene was at the point of nearly yelling. From our view over mission control, Gene was yelling so loud that many of the Kermen were obviously afraid they would be the next Kerbal subjected to the wrath of Gene. Even Bobak and Kuzzter would take turns making frequent glances towards our upstairs vantage point as Gene yelled.

8k5LALv.jpg

Dr. Edmund cut in, "Kerny, we have some real concerns about the mental stability of Jebediah. We all are impacted by the abduction of Bill. Jebediah seems to have taken it harder than anyone else. His recent escapades at Tulum Station and in the flight returning here tells me he is a danger to himself and those around him."

"Look, Kerny," Gene began, but he was cut off by Dr. Haywood.

"Kerny, you are the person we want commanding the Duna expedition. Gene is concerned that Jebediah would appeal to the Grand Committee to have you either replaced or made his executive officer of the mission. We already know that Consul Rayven has a personal interest in Jebediah and he would exploit that for his benefit...and..."

"His biggest argument is that he outranks you; you're a commander and he is a captain. So the solution is obvious to us." Gene added. "In all honesty, we were struggling with the best time to do this until Dr. Haywood pointed out that with the exception of docks, settlements, space stations and outposts, URK DF regulations state that any vessel having a crew of five or more Kermen AND is expected to be on a mission status for longer than two months must be commanded by a Kerman of flag officer rank. Originally the plan was to promote you after Minimus Excursion 4."

"Gene, Dr. Edmund, Dr. Haywood - are you sure about this? I've only been a commander for a little over two months. How's Jebeidah going to handle this?" I asked. I already knew Jebediah would not allow my rapid promotion to pass by without some objections being made.

"Kerny, the committee has already made this decision. You're easier to work with than Jebediah. You don't have the personal issues that Jebediah has. You have the full support of Bob - Jebediah's closest friend. You have the support of the key members of the space program and the Grand Committee. You've earned this promotion - look at your command evaluations. So, don't worry about Jebediah. We'll take care of it. Now come with us..." Gene replied. And with that, I followed Gene, Dr. Edmund, and Dr. Haywood to the floor of the tracking center.

"May I have your attention," Gene called out to the Kermen in Mission Control. "Dr. Haywood has something he wants to say."

Dr. Haywood cleared his throat and began to speak, "Kermen, I have an announcement; if I may have your attention. By order of the Triune Committee of the U.R.K. Defense Forces and upon the concurrence of the Grand Committee, effective today, the 1st of Plock, Y003, Kerny Kerman is hereby promoted to the rank of Captain."

77Hu7W7.png

Immediately I knew that without the help of the Gods, Jebediah would be mad. But the Grand Committee had made their decision. Gene, Dr. Haywood, and Dr. Edmund had made their decision and have put their faith in me.

"Yeah, he buzzes the tower and gets promoted," Bobak cried out. "I drink the last cup of bean extract and am told I'm on report..." And with that, everyone in the control center broke out in laughter.

* Within the United Republic of Kerbin's Defense Forces, those members belonging to the Ground Expeditionary Forces have rank closely matching that of the U.S. Army. A captain in the GEF is equivalent to a lieutenant in the Navy or Space Forces.
Lieutenant @obney kerman
- Surprise!

Edited by adsii1970
Corrected a typo and repaired an image.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

But instead," Dr. Haywood interrupted, "he got into several fights, two with Bill and three with J. Jim.

Oh no, not with Jeb!!! I'm a lover, not a fighter... lmao.... :D

I have a bad feeling J. Jim didn't do so hot... :confused:

Oh, and awesome chapter... love the shot of Kerny rolling and grinning like a maniac... too funny!

Edited by Just Jim

@Pretorian28715:

I must I am honored to be considered on the same playing field as @Cydonian Monk and @Just Jim! That's a big complement! Thank you... :)

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Oh no, not with Jeb!!! I'm a lover, not a fighter... lmao.... :D

I have a bad feeling J. Jim didn't do so hot... :confused:

Oh, and awesome chapter... love the shot of Kerny rolling and grinning like a maniac... too funny!

Yeah, I about died laughing when I put Kerny through the paces and all he could do was give that big cheesy smile! He actually looked a little sad when he did finally land.  Makes me wish I would have taken that screen capture now...
I wouldn't be so quick to count J. Jim out... remember that Jebediah went back three times... based on the brawls I saw at the NCO club, any time someone fought someone else three times, it was usually because he didn't learn his lesson the first two times. :D

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

based on the brawls I saw at the NCO club, any time someone fought someone else three times, it was usually because he didn't learn his lesson the first two times.

Oh, well.. if this was like my Army days, then that's different... If Jeb and J. Jim  were both in an NCO club, and had a couple too many, then I'm pretty sure J. Jim wasn't doing a very good job of keeping his big mouth shut, whatever it was about... he tends to say what he thinks, then duck as fast as possible.... lmao... :sticktongue:

8 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Uh-oh. Jeb went crazy and took over the flight. This will definitely end well! At least the plane isn't weaponized!

How many times has Kerny buzzed the tower? He seems to be getting a record! Great chapter, as usual.

I had to go back and look; I've mentioned his buzzing the tower twice now. This one was a wee bit faster than the last time... :D And something else about Kerny... in case you didn't realize it... he has one crash on his record BUT it was not due to pilot error, even though he sneezed. Ralph covered for him and said the craft's systems messed up, causing an uneven descent to the landing zone... So, Kerny still has a perfect record... for now.

And in case some of you wonder when the mystery of the game "twelve dot" will ever be revealed:

Spoiler

1V5HxzQ.jpg

It's dominoes! But Kerbals love their technology so they play the game on a K-Pad table touch screen. 

Plock 3, Y003
"Sometimes there simply are no words..." 
Chapter 38

For the last day and a half, things have been far from normal at the space center. Yesterday, around 3:30, I was taken out of simulator training early. Dr. Haywood had called over from his office located in the research and development complex and told Bobak, who was overseeing the simulator training program, that it was that important he speak to me immediately. Once I was on the video communicator in the small office to the side of the simulator room, Dr. Haywood began telling me about events that unfolded yesterday. The plane carrying Captains Bob and Jebediah had gone down over the Central Tulum Desert about thirty minutes after radio communications were lost.

"Kerny, I know you don't want to do this, but you're the only one who can," Dr. Haywood began to explain. "Commodore Valentina is currently on a mission in the South Polar Sea; she's also requested to be excused because of a conflict of interest. Captain Bob cannot do it because he is going to be called as an observer..."

Since being promoted to captain on the 1st, I've had to complete a couple of independent training classes required by the Triune Committee. I've learned that not all captains are the same - and the reasons for it. The Kerbin Navy and Space Forces use the same rank structure; since space vehicles are considered as "ships," it made sense to the Grand Committee that all Space Forces ranks would mirror the ranks of the Navy. The Ground Expeditionary Forces, mainly at the request of Dr. Herodikus, a Senior Consul, should follow the ranks of the legions of the ancient Grand Army of the Senate of Kerbania and it's most famous general, General Kaesar Kerman. This is why a captain in the Navy and Space Forces is actually a superior ranking officer to a captain in the GEF; just as in the ancient army, a captain in the GEF can have a command of up to four Kermen; a colonel has the same authority as a Navy or Space Forces captain.

I also learned at that same training what I was now being called on to do. Any time the Grand Committee called for an inquiry into a crash or loss of craft, a flag ranking officer of equal or superior rank must be present and able to serve on the inquiry panel. I was the only flag officer available to sit on the five-Kerbal panel. I will be serving alongside Dr. Haywood, Gene, Major Thompberry, and Consul Rayven. My training taught me that the decision to comprise the panel is not an easy one. The panel has the obligation to discover the truth and reasoning behind any crash it is tasked to study. And from there, it can make a number of recommendations. If the panel determines no one is at fault, the recommendation is that no action be taken. However, if a Kerbal's actions have been determined to have resulted in the crash and the actions were against established protocol, the panel can recommend the Grand Committee to pass a writ of military courtesy which will serve to keep the Kerbal from being promoted, or they can restrict future duties and assignments, can recommend the Grand Committee create a Triune Panel of Military Rites for trial, or complete dismissal from the Kerbin Defense Forces.

"I understand, sir..." All I could say. It was not the kind of thing I ever expected to have to do. Essentially, the Grand Committee had made the decision once preliminary data came in from the crash site to begin a formal inquiry to the reasons of the crash. I had already heard about some of the specifics of what may have led up to the crash from Bobak. About thirty minutes after the plane left Tulum Station, the station air control officer received a brief transmission from Lieutenant Obney saying that Captain Jebediah had ordered Lieutenant Jala to give up her seat in the cockpit of the Mallard and "go keep Captain Bob company..." Once he took her seat, he assumed command of the flight.

IsSUXB4.jpg

Bobak added that the station's commander, Captain Barcott, had relayed that the last words heard from the downed aircraft was Jebediah's words, "I don't care what Gene said, I'm your superior officer, and I am now in charge of this...wait, who told you to send out a radio signal..." and with that, all communication was lost. Thirty minutes later, the station's tracking console began pinging a code four alert. A code four alert is automatically sent out by an aircraft's transponder once the craft has crashed. Within minutes, Captain Barcott had sent out his emergency engineering teams to aid and recover the Kermen on that flight.

dS1BRPn.jpg

gPmKLq5.jpg

1QQmFDk.jpg

The emergency engineering crews arrived about an hour after the first automatic transponder signal was received by Tulum Station. When they arrived, they discovered that Captain Jebediah and Lieutenant Obney were disoriented but mostly uninjured. Captain Bob had a few bumps, bruises, and scratches; Lieutenant Jala died because of her injuries. Within minutes of the arrival of the engineering crews, Captain Barcott had already informed Gene of what had been discovered. That same hour, Gene dispatched a Mongoose to Tulum Station to bring back the crew. The decision was also made to scrap the Air Hopper. Gene shared the preliminary flight data with Dr. Wernher, who observed, "it would simply be more cost-effective to scrap the bird and simply build a new one."

KyCRzzr.jpg

np0kl9t.jpg

Late last night, Gene sent out an announcement that the today's morning briefing was cancelled. All available Kermen were to report to the tarmac in front of the space plane hangar at 3:00. He also sent Bobak to my quarters last night telling me that the panel would begin it's preliminary inquiry this morning at sunrise. So this morning, I arrived at the conference room in the new Kerbalnaut quarters building. It's a small, slender three story building with an observatory on top. Although the building has been here about a week, I really haven't had the chance to come see it. As I headed up the circular stairs on the side of the building, it was obvious things today were very low key. In fact, the one thing noticeable was the lack of excitement - especially considering most of the KSC staff had been given the day off. But it's understandable since the day off has come at a very high price.

"Kermen, may I have your attention," Dr. Haywood began. "By special order of the Grand Committee, I have been placed as the head of this panel convened for the sole purpose of investigating the actions of Captain Jebediah Kerman, Kerbin Space Forces. For the record, the panel consists of Gene, Major Thompberry, Captain Kerny, myself, and Consul Rayven..." The all-too familiar blue glow of the room indicated a secure video communications channel had been established. On the main screen was Dr. Edmund. He would, through virtual presence, attend the first two hours of today's meeting.

"No, excuse me, Dr. Haywood. I will not be sitting on this panel," Gene protested. "Listen, I don't know how impartial I can be... this is not the first crash we've had that's been caused by Jebediah's childish behavior..."

"No, Gene," Dr. Edmund interrupted. "You've already been recommended by the Triune Committee and by the Committee of Aeronautics and Space Exploration. Last night, in an emergency session, the Delegates of Five of the Grand Committee approved the recommendation. You will serve on the panel."

xgftLpi.jpg

"Now with that settled," Dr. Haywood began,"as chair of the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration, I hereby recommend to the Triune Committee that Captain Jebediah be relieved of all duties and restricted to the immediate area around the Kerbal Space Center..."

"Dr. Haywood," the familiar voice of Dr. Edmund filled the room from the small speaker in the center of the table. "Are you sure you want to do this before the preliminary investigation is concluded? After all, isn't he presumed "not at fault" until prov..."

"With all due respect, Dr. Edmund," Dr. Haywood began. "I'm afraid that if we do not take some sort of action that restricts Jebediah until our investigation is completed, things here will..."

"Deteriorate quite rapidly," Gene interrupted. And Gene didn't stop there.

gBDibpr.jpg

X1Y76Gk.jpg

"Let's not forget that what we know is this," Gene continued. "He essentially overrode my orders for the flight crew. He ordered a qualified and good pilot, Lieutenant Jala, to the passenger compartment of the aircraft. He then took direct operational control of the craft. Now we aren't sure what happened next, but thirty minutes later, the craft crashes. Not only did we lose the Air Hopper, but because of the crash, Lieutenant Jala was killed..."

"And Gene's quite right," added Dr. Haywood. "If we let Jebediah walk around the KSC like business as usual until this investigation, not only will it be dangerous for him, but in complete honesty, I no longer trust he is capable of being blindly trusted..."

And with that, Dr. Edmund agreed with the decision made by Gene and Dr. Haywood. "By the time the plane lands, you'll have hard copies of the Orders of Council signed by the Senior Consul of the current acting Delegates of Five."

For over an hour, Dr. Edmund briefed us on the scope of the investigation we would be conducting over the next few days. We would interview Captains Bob and Barcott, Lieutenant Obney, and a few of the other personnel of the Tulum Station. Our first interview would be J. Jim, still at Tulum Station for another ten days. We waited for the chime from the speakers; this would tell us a secure channel had been established with Tulum Station. Within ten minutes, the chime did happen. And a the protocol Dr. Edmund had shared with us demanded, he closed his channel. His image on the screen was replaced by the image of J. Jim.

"Hello, Jim, can you hear and see us ok?" Dr. Haywood began.

"Yes, I can, sir." It was painfully obvious Jim hated the formality of the panel setting.

"We need you to tell us what happened the three days before Captain Jebediah left the station," Dr. Haywood stated, already knowing from the preliminary statement recorded by Captain Barcott yesterday evening.

For thirty minutes, Jim told us of what he felt was one of the incidents that could have triggered Jebediah's strange behavior. Jebediah had walked in, unannounced, into Jim's quarters and found Jim and Gilti in a video call. Immediately Jebediah walked over, turned off the video communications console, and began to demand Jim tell him how long he and Gilti had been in communication, the nature of the relationship between the two of them, and then demand that Jim leave her alone. Jim then said as he was getting up from the console, Jebediah sucker punched him and ran off down the corridor saying for him to keep his distance from Jebediah's Gilti. But this was only the first of three fights.

The second fight happened a day later. Jim and Captain Barcott were discussing the lastest find in the larger of the five pyramids when Jebediah entered the science lab and attempted to continue the fight from the day before. "Because of the way you portrayed Valentina in your stupid video show, she now outranks me!" Jebediah screamed. "I should have been promoted before her! I've been here since the beginning and she just... she just... she suddenly appeared out of nowhere!" As Jebediah lunged at Jim, Jim stepped out of the way causing Jebediah to crash into a lab table and then onto the floor. With embarrassment added to his anger, Jebediah ran out of the lab.

The final fight happened the morning of the departure - the same day as the crash. Jim was in the mess hall eating his usual breakfast of Kerbite eggs, prickly plant juice, and maize bread. Jebediah entered the mess hall and walked over to Jim. "Stand up and take your beating like a Kerman," and as Jebediah lunged again at Jim, Jim admitted he punched Jebediah between the eyes! "Sirs, by that point, I was angry and I was tired of being bullied by Jebediah! And as soon as I hit him, he was out cold and passed out, face-first on the floor..."

"Jim, I have but one question," Gene interrupted. "Why did it take you so long to knock him out..." By the looks on the faces of everyone in the room, it was hard to tell if Gene was joking or if he was serious. Based on the look he shot Thompberry when he snickered, I'd say Gene was serious.

"Sir, I just don't like to fight, but a Kerman can only be pushed so far..." Jim answered. "I'm just sorry that it had to happen at all..." and with his last comment, a chime filled the conference room.

"Folks, that's the chime I ordered Bobak to transmit once the Mallard was thirty minutes out," Gene cut in. "Dr. Haywood, I make a motion that we go into a period of postponement until 4:00," he added.

"As it has been said, this will we do." Dr. Haywood replied, his voice indicated that he, too, was hit by the seriousness of the tone's meaning. "Jim, we are going to end this portion of your interview. We'll call you back tomorrow..." and with those words, the video connection was closed and the room returned to normal lighting. We all left the conference room and headed to the tarmac in front of the space plane hangar where we were going to pay honors and respects to Lieutenant Jala.

lM029Hp.jpg

8P4pHTM.jpg

yOSYuj7.jpg

I've been in the Kerbalnaut program for almost a year and for the year before that, I was in Basic Kerbal Defense Forces training. Nothing could prepare me for what we had to do today. Sure, yes, there have been three other Kerbals killed in the line of duty. But this was the first time a Kerbal was killed in the line of duty because of the possible actions of another Kerbal. There are simply no words to describe what we were all made to take part in today.

qcYodlA.jpg

J2Q1Gvv.jpg

WcnOzb1.jpg

sh6Fj6h.jpg

gZe135W.jpg

ij53QsW.jpg

We stood in formation and watched as the light transport bearing the casket of Lieutenant Captain Jala Kerman slowly passed the honor and tribute formations in front of the space plane hangar. From there, Master Sergeant Karenna Kerman would drive the transport to the basement access doors of the research and development building where her body will be prepared for final rites. It was good to see that Dr. Edmund gave Jala a posthumous promotion; right before the flight she had a meeting with Gene, Dr. Haywood, and myself. She was on the list of names for possible officer candidates for my expanding team.

Even before her casket had been unloaded from the Mallard, ever Kerman there had already taken notice of Captain Jebediah's actions. Once the formation was dismissed, even Captain Bob shook his head as he heard others describing what they had witnessed.

id8y8gp.jpg?1

Instead of joining everyone in formation, Jebediah got off the plane and immediately headed over towards the vehicle assembly building. Even Major Ralph, who is usually quiet and reserved, made a comment that has become an anti-Jebediah cry among the staff of the KSC: "And Jebediah has the last word AGAIN!" I think Dr. Haywood was exactly right in his decision regarding Captain Jebediah.

Once the formation was over, Gene dismissed the staff and crew of the space center. He reminded us that Dr. Edmund, as part of the Triune Committee, had given the center the rest of the day off. This was largely in part because Gene and Thompberry were going to be in the conference room for at least another hour as part of the inquiry panel. Although having free time is always enjoyable, the atmosphere of the space center was far from festive. In fact, a great sadness seemed to blanket the center. There were some Kermen trying to make the most of the time off, in spite of the reason why it had been given.

DmZTHvT.jpg

IAvsqE3.jpg

We have about twenty more minutes before we resume our meeting in the third floor conference room. As I look through the door of the building's theater, there's a few Kermen, new recruits to the program, who are watching J. Jim's Saga oF Emiko Station. Today, I wish I didn't have the responsibilities of a flag rank and could join them. From the first rocket that launched into orbit back in Y001, Jebediah had been my role model, my hero. Now I am being asked to serve on a panel of inquiry on this Kerman that's part Kerman, part legend, and some even believe he may be part deity. Whatever he may have been in the past, something has happened and now the legend is simply... a Kerman named Jebediah. Whatever the outcome may be, I'm sure nothing will ever be the same. 

It's going to be a long evening... It's going to be a long couple of days.

19 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Oh also, nice punch Jim!

It's funny, @adsii1970 really nailed my personality with this. I don't like fighting, and will avoid getting into one whenever possible. But if someone gets right in my face, and won't back down, I'll most likely lose my patience and try to clobber them.

I'm old school, and brought up on "Never start a fight, but always finish one."  :)

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

It's funny, @adsii1970 really nailed my personality with this. I don't like fighting, and will avoid getting into one whenever possible. But if someone gets right in my face, and won't back down, I'll most likely lose my patience and try to clobber them.

I'm old school, and brought up on "Never start a fight, but always finish one."  :)

My guess is you're also cool with defending friends? Because if not then I'm going to have some re-writing to do...

@adsii1970, is there a KerbalX link for that fighter jet in the last chapter?

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

My guess is you're also cool with defending friends? Because if not then I'm going to have some re-writing to do...

Oh, absolutely! In fact, I'll jump into a fight much faster to defend someone else. :wink:

Adapted from Governing Statues and Decrees of the Grand Committee of the United Republic of Kerbin (Y001). Ed. Herodikus Kerman and J. Marshall Kerman. New Kerbin City: Central Kerbia University Press.

Article III (Provision for continuance during Grand Committee recess)

Section 1: Being necessary to maintain a connection with the populace of the United Republic of Kerbin, each member of the Grand Committee shall take no less than sixty (60) days per year to travel to their assigned district of Kerbin to meet with local government officials and citizens of the republic. The sixty day period is to be taken in ten-day increments throughout the year, with the exception of the month of Plock. (See Section 2 for explanation).

Section 2: Furthermore, in the tradition of governance as established by Grand Consul Zebulan Kerman, the month of Plock has been set aside as a permanent recess for the Grand Committee of the United Republic of Kerman. During this recess, the Standing Delegates of Five shall have all authority to act on all matters on the behalf of the Grand Committee.

1. The Plock recess is to be considered as the personal vacation time of each consul serving on the Grand Committee.
  2. This does not apply to the consuls serving on the Delegates of Five. During their time of appointment to the Delegates of Five, consuls will not take the annual recess.

Section 3: In order to maintain order and to handle the burdens of government, a Standing Council of Five will be appointed on the 15th day of the month of Neidon and serve to the morning of the 15th of Neidon of the subsequent year. 

1. Any decision, legislative act, judicial review, or other action taken by the Delegates of Five shall be considered as enacted by the Grand Committee and are legally binding.
  2. Actions taken by the Delegates of Five may be reviewed by the Grand Committee for a period of time not to exceed fifteen days after return from a prescribed recess (this excludes judicial actions, see Article IV).

Section 3a: (Amended on Sarnus 34, Y002) Extended duties of the Delegates of Five:

1. At the recommendation of the College of Senior Consuls, the Delegates of Five will be empowered to act as the Standing Committee of the Judiciary for civil and Defense Force legal proceedings, regardless of the status of the Grand Committee.
  2. The Delegates of Five shall have complete jurisdiction to hear requests for appointments of Panels of Inquiry for the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces with the exceptions of:
    1. The initiator of the request for a formal panel of inquiry is a member of the Triune Committee.
    2. The initiator of the request is a chair of a standing committee overseeing any aspect of the functions or duties of the Defense Forces member.
    3. The initiator of the request is a member of the Delegates of Five.
    4. The incident involves an officer of flag rank or actions may/may not have led to the loss of a seafaring or spacefaring craft, the loss of a facility under their jurisdiction, or a loss of life during a routine mission (or other questionable activity that may have been a contributing factor of loss).
  3. In the event jurisdiction has been withheld from the Delegates of Five, the Council must forward their recommendations to the Grand Committee. The Grand Committee can accept or reject the recommendations by the Council of Five. If the proposed inquiry is approved, the Grand Committee, through simple majority vote, will grant the Delegates of Five jurisdiction of the case under consideration. The Grand Committee:
    1. Will set the membership of the Panel of Inquiry and empower the members with Orders and Commissions, to expire once the Delegates of Five receives the Official Report of Inquiry.
    2. Will, upon the receipt of the Official Report of Inquiry and the recommendations of the Council of Five, will take appropriate action as deemed necessary by a simple majority vote of the College of Senior Consuls (see Article IV).

_ _ _

Adapted from Rules and Regulations for the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces PD-DF 10 (Y001). The Grand Committee of the United Republic of Kerbin. New Kerbin City: Central Kerbia University Press.

Article IX (Purpose, function, scope, and appointment of a Panel of Inquiry)

Section 1: When actions of a member of the Kerbin Defense Forces result in the destruction of a craft or ship, or a loss of life, or destruction of facilities, the Triune Committee of the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces, the Chair of the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration, or any command officer of flag rank may request the appointment of a Panel of Inquiry.

1. The request for a Panel of Inquiry is forwarded to the Delegatesof Five for their action. The council of five has the authority to:
    1. Approve or deny the request for a formal Panel of Inquiry if the Grand Committee is on recess.
    2. Provisionally approve or deny the request for a formal Panel of Inquiry if the request comes at a time when the Grand Committee is no longer in session as a result of the end of the workday, a special day of rest, or other occasion. Senior Consuls of the Grand Committee will be briefed and will either approve or deny the request based on the recommendation of the Delegates of Five.
  2. Members of a Panel of Inquiry must include:
    1. An officer of flag rank equal to or superior of the officer under investigation. If the investigation is of the actions of an enlisted Kerman, a Kerman in an enlisted rank equal or superior to the Kerman under investigation.
    2. The Chief Engineer of the Kerbin Defense Forces or his/her designee.
    3. The chief officer in charge of the facility of the officer/enlisted Kerman under investigation.
    4. A member of the Grand Committee
    5. A Senior Consul, Chair of the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration, a member of the Triune Committee, or other designee

Section 2: After the appointment and confirmation of a Panel of Inquiry, the Senior Consul (or other position as defined in Section 1.2.5) serves as the chair of the Panel of Inquiry.

1. The panel will meet at a location determined by the chair.
  2. Each member of the panel, including the chair, is empowered to conduct any investigation relevant to the incident and conduct of the Kerman in question. Investigative powers and orders of each member of the committee include:
    1. Orders to Appear (powers include both Defense Forces members and civil Kermen).
    2. Orders of Revelation (power to compel the production of private journals, personal property, and other relevant possessions).
    3. Orders of Detainment (power to order the detention of the Kerbal under inquiry or those deemed as hostile witnesses when there is significant flight risk).
    4. Orders of Evaluation (power to review and evaluate performance of duties of the Kerbal under inquiry. Can extend, where warranted, to psychological or physical examinations by medical personnel)
  3. The panel is empowered to conduct hearings, interview observers, and other relevant data.
  4. Upon completion of an investigation, as determined by a unanimous vote of the panel members, the Panel of Inquiry will make a final report for presentation to the Triune Council. The panel is empowered to make the following recommendations:
    1. Take no action. Investigation revealed the loss of life, equipment, or facility was unavoidable.
    2. Recommend restriction of duties; for flag officers, loss of command.
    3. Reassignment.
    4. Reduction in rank
    5. Dismissal from the Kerbin Defense Forces
    6. Referral to the Grand Committee for trial by courts-martial (see Article X Courts-Martial Procedures).
  5. The Triune Committee, upon receiving the official Report of the Panel of Inquiry, must take action within five days of the report's submission. The Triune Committee must forward their actions to the the Delegates of Five  The actions include:
    1. Concur or Statement of Non-concurrence with the investigation and recommendation of the panel.
    2. The Triune Committee is not empowered to dismiss or otherwise dispose of the results of an investigation of any Panel of Inquiry. In the event the Panel of Inquiry recommends to take no action, the Triune Committee, if in concurrence, must forward the official report and their recommendation to the Delegates of Five.
Edited by adsii1970
Forgot to add the rules and regulations portion of the post :D

Plock 4, Y003
"When the Pedestal of a God Crumbles..." 
Chapter 39

Today was another long day - the second full day of our investigation into the conduct of Captain Jebediah Kerman. Just like yesterday, we began shortly after dawn. To add to the tensions of our already stressful day, the video conferencing system crashed. For nearly an hour, all the monitors in our conference room showed a fierce block and ricochet battle between Jebbob and Pagget playing in the recreation room of the new barracks building. It did give us time to discuss the previous day's testimony from Jim and review the digital flight recorder images from the Sky Hopper. Since it was obviously going to be a slow day, Dr. Haywood suggested we simply skip the rest of Jim's interview and start our interview of Bob. Unlike Jim, Bob was on the space center grounds and would not require a video call to interview.

6zlcd4F.jpg

wMW2WIR.jpg

Bob took the empty seat next to Gene. Sitting on the other side of Gene was Major Thompberry. Once Bob was seated, Dr. Haywood began to speak. "Captain Bob, you have been summoned to this meeting of the Panel of Inquiry to state your observations about the recent conduct of Captain Jebediah Kerman and the role he might have played on the crash of the Sky Hopper in its return flight to the KSC on the 2nd of Plock." And with that, Bob began to tell us about the three days leading up to the flight and the flight itself.

"About twenty minutes into the flight, Jebediah got up out of his seat and headed towards the cockpit," Bob said as the first part of his answer to the question proposed by Consul Rayven. "He was muttering something about the flight taking too long, about the inexperience of the flight crew, and Valentina's most recent promotion to commodore." Then Bob began to describe what we heard on the radio feed. "Jebeidah ordered Lieutenant Jala out of the cockpit. And after that, things simply became worse..."

It was Thompberry's question that was the most obvious question we should have asked. Yet it still caught everyone off guard. "In your opinion, do you think Captain Jebediah's actions caused the crash of the Sky Hopper?"

"Yes, I do..." Bob began. "The flight was just like any other flight I've been on. The flight crew were doing what they had been trained to do. The only thing that was different than any other flight is Jebediah rushed into the cockpit..."

"I don't think this is a fair line of questioning," Gene began. "We're supposed to be unbiased and simply stick to what we know. We already know from Captain Bob's testimony he was in the passenger compartment of the Sky Hopper. How can he factually describe what happened in the cockpit when he was in a completely different part of the craft!"

"Your objection is noted," Dr. Haywood interjected. "Major Thompberry, will you yield the question?"

"Yes, sir..." Thompberry said; everyone was aware of the disgust in his voice. "I withdraw the question..." and with that, Bob's opinion of the cause of the crash was stricken from the record. We would have to wait until we would interview Lieutenant Obney, patiently waiting his turn on the staircase landing outside of the conference room door. Bob's testimony continued. We could not ask Bob about his opinion of what caused the crash but one thing was certain. He blamed Jebediah.

lUlxso5.jpg

DQ67vXw.jpg

After an hour and a half long interview with Captain Bob, we took a brief recess and then completed our video conference with Jim. After the first thirty minutes, it was obvious Jim was distracted. It wouldn't be another ten minutes after that we discovered why he was! The Duna Explorer 2 - also known as "the Beast" began radio transmissions after nearly eighteen months of radio silence - it had entered into a standard parking orbit of 150,000 meters over the surface.

I remember watching it's launch as a second year cadet in the Defense Forces Training Institute. Once it achieved an orbit around Kerbin, it did a intercept burn, and left Kerbin's sphere of influence - all within a two-day period. But a month after its launch, the tracking station lost all contact with the Beast. We could hear the news broadcast in the background saying that not only had contact been reestablished, but the Beast was deploying the first of four landers held within its large cargo area. Although I'd enjoy watching the news broadcasts as Jim was doing, at this time, they were a bit distracting. I even think Gene was wanting to be anywhere but in this conference room today.

Once Jim finished his video conference, we interviewed Captain Barcott next. His testimony was essentially a repeat of what we had already heard from Jim and Bob. But one thing stuck out in my mind - what caused Jebediah to snap? Was it Valentina's promotion or whatever is going on between Gilti and Jim? Although I had already asked a couple of questions to the other observers, I felt compelled to ask Captain Barcott one last question at the end of his interview. "Captain, did Jebediah lose control because of the discovery of Jim and Gilti's frequent video conversations or when he heard about the last round of promotions?" I really didn't expect the answer he gave.

1R3QCZT.jpg

"Captain Kerny, when Captain Jebediah arrived at the Station it was obvious he already had some things going on. He discovered Jim's interest in Gilti one night while having a late snack in the dining hall. He discovered Jim sending an instant message to Gilti through the K-Pad's instant writer program. It only added to what he came here with..."

"So," Gene interrupted, "how soon after that did he know about Valentina's promotion?" Even with his accent it was clear he was in no mood for games. Gene was the head of the Kerbal Space Program' facilities at the space center. He wanted to be in his tracking room, seeing the pictures from Duna rather than participating in today's hearings.

"He found out about a day later. He didn't object to any promotions on the list except for Commodore Valentina's." Captain Barcott hesitated before continuing. "He said there was no way he was going to become 'number two' to someone who appeared out of nowhere one day..." The remainder of the questioning being asked was about Jebediah's overall conduct. To be quite honest, none of us were surprised to hear that Captain Jebediah continually pulled rank, belittled, and verbally harassed Captain Barcott at every opportunity he could. The news of Valentina's promotion to commodore combined with his infatuation with Gilti - and all in addition to the loss of Bill - may have pushed Jebediah beyond his breaking point.

Once we were finished with our interview with Captain Barcott, we took a ten minute break before we began our last interview of the day. At first, Lieutenant Obney was hesitant to answer the questions being asked. Finally, Gene decided to really press the issue, "Look, I know you don't want to answer the questions, but we have an investigation to do. Here's your choice - answer the questions or whatever we decide to do with Captain Jebediah, we'll recommend you have the same fate..." And with that, Obney answered every question asked by the panel.

What he told us answered a bunch of questions we had. Once Jebediah sat in Captain Jala's seat, he ordered Lieutenant Obney to relinquish control of the Air Hopper. Jebediah discovered Lieutenant Obney had already sent a radio transmission to the tower requesting how he should handle the unfolding situation on his aircraft. And with that, the reason radio communications were lost. Jebediah destroyed the cockpit radio transceiver! Jebediah then ordered Obney to change headings from the normal route from Tulum Station to the KSC. When Obney refused to follow Jebediah's order, Jebediah then assumed command and control of the Air Hopper and attempted to pull Obney out of his chair and lock him out of the cockpit - and that is when the Air Hopper began its slow loss of altitude. Obney ended his testimony, "Captain Jebediah went mad; he started screaming that he was going to make Gene pay for promoting Commodore Valentina... and he was going to prove Valentina wasn't a Kerman at all..."

gPmKLq5.jpg

1QQmFDk.jpg

"Ok, Lieutenant Obney," Dr. Haywood interrupted. "I think we get the gist of it. So, you believe the Air Hopper would not have crashed had Captain Jebediah not intervened in normal flight ops?"

"Yes, sir, that's exactly what I am saying." Lieutenant Obney answered. "There is no doubt in my mind that the craft would not have crashed if Captain Jebediah had never entered the cockpit..."

Once his interview ended, we took another ten minute break. Although Obney's interview was only one-half hour in length, it simply added to the seriousness of the situation facing our Panel of Inquiry. For two days, we've heard testimony, reviewed the data, and now were faced with the most difficult task of our duties as the Panel of Inquiry. We now had to make our recommendations on what should happen next. Gene shared his observations by sharing, "I'm at a loss. If it were anyone else but Jebediah, we know what we'd recommend..." And I have to agree. Any other Kerman who had done what Captain Jebediah did over the last few days would certainly face courts-martial.

HkQPbHX.jpg

Major Thompberry cleared his throat, "I've been at the KSC since the day we laid the first girder in place. I've overseen the site's construction and subsequent renovations. I've met every student pilot who has ever landed on my runway... and I've pulled a lot of these younglings out of their wrecked craft." His northern plains accent still coming though on certain words. "But I've not seen anyone as careless and reckless as Jebediah. He's crashed more planes than any other Kerman in the test pilot's program."

V845uG8.jpg

For the next two hours, right up until an hour before the last of the Kerbolset over the western horizon, we debated and discussed what our recommendation to the Council of Five should be. The surprise came when Consul Rayven, once a romantic interest of Jebediah, spoke up and made her recommendation to the panel. "I don't want anything bad to happen to Jebediah. But as Gene said earlier, if it were any other Kerman but Jebediah, we know what our panel would recommend..."

"Do you realize what you will do to our program if we courts-martial him? " Gene protested. "It will kill our space program..."

"No, it will save our space program." Interrupted Dr. Haywood. "Yes, Jebediah is a hero and is worshipped by some as being nearly a god - a deity of sorts, if you will. If we let him walk away from... this... when the public knows what we've done to others who have just lost craft because of carelessness... it will scar the program. Those who look up to us will see we have a double standard..."

"So," Gene adding a conclusion to Dr. Haywood's statement, "this is what it looks like when a pedestal of a god begins to crumble." It was easy to see Gene was as conflicted as Major Thompberry and I are over what we are being forced to decide to do about Captain Jebediah. Of all the things that came out of the hearing, it seems my promotion to captain didn't bother Jebediah. It was Valentina's promotion to commodore that had triggered something primal in Jebediah. It was whatever was going on between Gilti and Jim that triggered something in Jebediah. And most of all, whatever happened to Bill had set everything in motion. After a slight pause, Gene continued, "all I know is we have a problem, but the question is how do we solve it. Where do we go from here?"

We continued in our closed session for another hour after our last interview was over. The panel is divided over what should be done about Jebediah. I'm not too sure about Consul Rayven; at times she seems ready to recommend the most harshest action to be taken against him, the next moment, it seems she wants to let him off. Gene is also similarly torn. Although he is extremely angry at Captain Jebediah, he feels the space program, the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration owes Jebediah something. Jebediah was willing to risk his life to be the first Kerman in space. It was his success that created a lot of support for the space program.

I, too, am torn about the whole thing. Accidents do happen. Even Gene said, "It's a good thing simulator deaths don't count..." There are times where crashes and loss of craft are impossible to avoid. But the evidence points that this crash was avoidable. There are even times when the loss of life is avoidable; before this most recent accident and not counting Commander Bill, there were three Kermen killed in the line of duty. But the death of Captain Jala was unavoidable. It was caused by the actions of Captain Jebediah. Her death was avoidable. Her death wasn't necessary.

Tomorrow begins the last two stages of our investigation. The guidelines state we are to interview Captain Jebediah Kerman and allow him to present his side of the story. Because this is only a Panel of Inquiry, he doesn't have the right to question witnesses or to review their testimony. He simply has the right to state the events from his point of view. This is called the "Inquiry After the Fact" and is even present in the civil version of Kerbin's justice system. Dr. Haywood has set aside an hour to an hour and a half of tomorrow's schedule so we can hear what Captain Jebeidah has to say. Once Jebediah is finished, we then begin the final session which will produce our final recommendations report to the Council of Five. After tomorrow night, my portion of the unfolding madness will hopefully come to a close.

iGUMQ17.png

DK8SSoO.jpg

eCCE3pd.jpg

vkBGeQx.png

Once we finished hearing all of the scheduled interviews and were released by Dr. Haywood for the day, I returned to my quarters in the Kerbalnaut Complex. I was able to watch the latest video report on the history being made today by the first Kerman-made object to land on Duna! I couldn't believe that after all this time, the old probe, the "Beast", once believed to be lost in space, had begun broadcasting signals late last night as it entered an orbit around Duna. Later, it automatically jettisoned its four landers and sent them to their predetermined places on the red planet's surface. Now, the first images were coming back from the surface. I watched as the video announcer reported on the latest information being sent back by the landers and the Beast.

For nearly thirty minutes, until the news cycle began to repeat itself, I sat and absorbed every image sent back about the surface of Duna. In the future, my crew and I wouldn't need to use cameras and relays to see what the surface of Duna looks like. We will be seeing it with our own eyes!

It's getting late; Dr. Haywood has ordered us to convene tomorrow around 0:45 - forty-five minutes after sunrise! If all goes well, we will be finished in time to see Major Ralph and his crew return from the Island Air Station in the newest designed vehicle by Angelo, one of the aerospace engineers who works alongside Dr. Wernher and Harrison, one of the lead aerospace designers. In the daily data packet, Bobak sent me a few pictures of Ralph and the gang testing out the new abilities of the craft's design. From what the preliminary data shows, the craft performed perfectly.

GIBLjDH.jpg

zzHbCnm.jpg

Bnz5Lzy.jpg

DKZFttF.jpg

The design seems to be stable enough but I cannot wait to see it return to the KSC. Before I go to bed I think I'll send Major Ralph a message through the instant writer program congratulating him on his maiden voyage of this new contraption of flight. Then I'll go to bed; tomorrow is going to be another long and difficult day for all of us on the Panel of Inquiry. I will be glad when this whole affair is over and behind me. I think I'd actually prefer one of Gene's marathon seven-hour simulator training sessions!

Edited by adsii1970
Correcting a few typos... :D