Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 86: "The slow passage of time, adrift in space."]

adsii1970

56 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

No, you misunderstand this process, obviously. :rolleyes: You're supposed to drag it out as long as possible... tormentation is always best when it is dragged out as much as possible...

Ya das is sehr richtig. 

Yes another chapter!!! This is very interesting. Also THERE NOT TOYS????

32 minutes ago, Orion Kerman said:

This is Orion Kerman taking control.

We have incoming music coming in fast!! Scramble the ears now now now!! @JustJim has brought on a curse.

Nice try. Buried under exams and paper projects this week. I am hoping to have another chapter in by Saturday. Should be interesting for y'all... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Neidon 23, Y003
"Shrunken heads and Karloff's disappointment.."

Chapter 32

RtrNwrv.jpg

According to the mission clock, Minimus Exlporer 3, our mission, officially ended three hours ago. Early yesterday evening, we entered what Gene has begun to call "parking orbit" which is essentially a forty-five degree inclination orbit at an altitude of a hundred and thirty-five kilometers above Kerbin. Once our orbit was stable, we followed the new mission protocol and undocked from the Minimus Lander/crew compartment. Although it was only used for one mission, Bobak sent the schematics for the next generation of the crew compartment. It's a bit larger, can hold up to six Kermen, and will even include a lab. The data packet Bobak sent us before we entered parking orbit contained a time line for the upcoming events affecting the Minimus modules. Once we are down, and before the Munar Excursion 3 crew are back, the Minimus Excursion Lander will be remotely undocked from the crew compartment. While the Lander will remain in the parking orbit, the crew compartment will be commanded to change trajectory to facilitate reentry. Gene wants to know how much of the module could survive reentry if a mission should go horribly wrong. 

o9F9iji.jpg

IL1iD96.jpg

Our reentry procedures were performed as close to flawlessly as could be done. As our command module dropped into the upper atmosphere, Gene ordered us not to rotate the capsule until instructed by the control center. We were also instructed not to jettison the command service module and engine as would normally happen at fifty kilometers, but to retain it until told to jettison it by mission control. I will be completely honest, I don't like changes or deviations from the protocols that have become the standard for which we train. Even Lieutenant Karloff was a bit concerned about the latest round of instructions from Gene... "Doesn't he realize we'll be making a lot of sparks doing what he suggests...?"

"Maybe Gene wants a pretty light show, Lieutenant..." Gilti responded, the sarcasm dripping off every word. From their comments, it was clear none of my crew were happy with this new set of instructions.

u5T7gPS.jpg

"Kerny, this is Mission Control, at altitidude of four-six kilometers, execute command module rotation. Repeat, at altitude four-six kilo, execute command module rotation..." We could clearly hear Kutzzer's voice cutting in above the background chatter of the control room.

"Roger, Mission Control, this is Minimus 3, executing rotation at four-six kilos..." Gilti responded. One of the things I had done with my crew was to assign secondary duties for each member, equally distributing all the tasks per standard operating procedures according to the member's training and skills. Gilti had, since our third simulator training session for this mission, been assigned as our crew's communications officer.

Within five minutes of the radio exchange, I rotated the module. Within a few seconds later, the familiar plasma envelope began to form around our craft, its red glow visible through the capsule's windows. Our most recent instructions had been to wait until our altitude had dropped to twenty-five kilometers, then fire our main engine until the fuel was exhausted. At that point, we were to jettison the service module and follow our standard reentry procedures from that point.

"Firing main engine in three...two....one..." and with that, Karloff fired our main engine. Almost instantly, the thrust from the main engine began to slow our rate of descent even more. Being the Kerman of our crew who loves to joke around, Karloff gleefully proclaimed... "Every Kerman wave...we're passing over the space center... Gene, did you miss us...?"

"Um... roger that, Minimus 3. Gene says it's been rather peaceful without you and Jebediah around. Seems our vacation is almost over..." Bobak responded. The roar of laughing from the Kerman in the control room was easily heard on our headsets.

LZgJMHO.jpg

ViPEn97.jpg

"Minimus 3, this is Recovery Vessel Menzabac. We have you on tracking and will be on station to begin recovery operations upon splashdown..." an unfamiliar voice came across the radio.

"Roger, Mezabac, this is Minimus 3," Gilti replied. And before she could finish her sentence, we were met by the jarring of our capsule as it hit the surface of Kerbin's ocean.

"Minimus 3, Welcome home..." we could hear the cheers almost drowning out Gene's voice over the radio.

OjNkedh.jpg

uEF8EE1.jpg

Within thirty minutes of splashdown, the Menzabac was alongside, it's large traversing crane assembly easily lifting our capsule out of the water. In no time, we were standing on the deck and for the first time in forty-seven days, smelling the fresh, sweet smelling air of our home world. Our mission was actually over.

"Sirs... and ma'am," a nervous Kerman approached us with his hand extended. "I'm Petty Officer Jebfer and on behalf of the captain and crew of the Menzabac, we welcome you aboard!" and with his welcome and introduction, he stood straight and raised his arm and draped it across his chest, a typical salute offered by Kermen to those of a higher status.

"Um, Commander Kerny," Gilti whispered, "I think he's waiting for you to return the salute..." And with her advice, I repeated the gesture Petty Officer Jebfer offered.

We were shown to our quarters and even though we are only about sixteen kilometers off the coast of the space center cape, we've been informed we will remain on board for a few days. When we arrived in our assigned rooms, Bobak's data packet was already waiting for me. As usual, there were two parts to the packet; the first part I could share with my crew. Earlier today, Gene ordered a long range transport to Tulum Station to pick up Jebediah and Bob. From what the data packet showed, J. Jim will also be hitching a ride back. Jebediah and Bob were being sent on separate missions. While Bob would be returning to command a mission to study one of the Munar monoliths, Jebediah was being sent to rendezvous with the Akna 1 mission, commanded by Ralph operating near the arctic circle.

"Oh, wow... J. Jim is coming to the space center?" although she tried hard to conceal her excitement, it was clear she has some sort of interest in him. 

"Yeah, all we need..." Karloff snickered. "At least Bob is good at playing twelve-dots." He's right. Bob can beat nearly everyone at the KSC playing twelve-dots. Last time I played with him he went out while I still had a bunch of points I hadn't played yet. I'm not sure Gilti caught the tone in Karloff's voice. Her excitement to see J. Jim seemed to disappoint Karloff.

CRJm0FW.jpg

Our next mission has already been scheduled and we launch in about two weeks. It seems our turn-around time between missions is getting shorter. Once we do return to the KSC, we will have two days before the next cycle of simulator training begins. The new mission objectives are clear except for a few items. I guess it will make more sense once we set through the mission briefings. It also seems the medium orbit shuttle transportation system is progressing nicely. There is another test scheduled in two days - and from our vantage point off the coast of the KSC, we should have a good view of the entire launch! It will definitely be something to see.

In the portion of the data packet that was marked as Restricted to command personnel only, Bobak included an image I had never seen before:

zx4q0R7.jpg

The band of shrunken head pictures, or glyphs - as Dr. H. Carter Kerman, called them in the report, had been completely video-recorded.  Apparently these were found on that one-meter band of glyphs that surround the monolith near the space center. The particular image Bobak decided to send to me was what has been determined to be the beginning of the band.

Currently, there's a renewed interest in visiting the other monoliths already discovered to see if they also have a band of shrunken heads - I mean glyphs. There's no idea about what they mean and since their discovery during Thompberry's investigation, no one has been able to figure out their meaning. The data packet also showed that a discovery at the Tulum Station pyramids, specifically Tut-Un Jacawitz, also has glyphs like the ones discovered on the space center monolith.

Over the next year, the plan is to have a team revisit every monolith site, to video record the glyphs, if any, and to compare the glyphs on each one. While the data packet doesn't mention any monolith related missions for my crew, it seems our next two missions are scheduled to be Minimus missions, but after that, we aren't on the schedule of missions for the remainder of Y003. I'll have to ask Gene about that when I get back to the KSC for the post-mission briefings.

Well, it is almost time for my crew to have dinner with the crew of the Menzabac so it's time to log off and get ready.

Edited by adsii1970

23 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm not sure Gilti caught the tone in Karloff's voice. Her excitement to see J. Jim seemed to disappoint Karloff.

Hmmmm... the horror movie fan in me isn't sure about a conflict with someone named Karloff.... lol..... :0.0:

I didn't think of that one (but I don't watch that show, ever)

What I thought of was driven by the H. initial and the association with the pyramids (the most Egypt-like element of the KSP lore), is he a reference to a certain Howard Carter?

Also, I'm really wondering now what is being revealed, my interest is well and truly piqued.
Wild guess at the moment (and I hope I don't end up spoiling anything inadvertently) but perhaps the ancient Kerbals were a bit more advanced than expected, or they had a relationship of some sort with whatever built the saucers.

Aku

Sorry, folks - I had to take a real life trip to North Carolina last week for a tenure track job interview.  So... I am a little behind the curve again... :blush:

I wanted to answer a few comments made since the last chapter:

On 2/28/2017 at 5:16 PM, AkuAerospace said:

What I thought of was driven by the H. initial and the association with the pyramids (the most Egypt-like element of the KSP lore), is he a reference to a certain Howard Carter?

Also, I'm really wondering now what is being revealed, my interest is well and truly piqued.
Wild guess at the moment (and I hope I don't end up spoiling anything inadvertently) but perhaps the ancient Kerbals were a bit more advanced than expected, or they had a relationship of some sort with whatever built the saucers.

[Edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

You're absolutely correct. Howard Carter is H. Carter Kerman! So glad someone caught onto the reference. @AkuAerospace, you're restoring my faith in humanity...! :D He will have a counterpart that I plan to introduce in some of the next chapters. One of the things I am doing, in case you have not figured it out, is tying the ancient Egyptians and Mayans together to form the "Ancient Kerbia" civilization. And without revealing any more of my plot, I cannot confirm nor deny your observations... :cool:

On 2/28/2017 at 2:34 PM, Angel-125 said:

Carter Kerman? Is there an O'Neil Kerman there to tell Carter Kerman to skip all the details? :wink:

Nope, never thought of that! And for @AkuAerospace, that reference was to that horrible show off the SyFy channel, Stargate. They took such a good movie and made a few trashy television series out of it. I was sucked into the first season, but by the third episode of the second, I thought watching grass grow was a better use of my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Neidon 27, Y003
"Whispers of shadows, voices from the past"
Chapter 33

It's been three days since our return to the Kerbin Space Center and nearly two days after our last after-mission review. Gene and Dr. Haywood considered our mission as a success - we became the first Kerbals to successfully land on Minimus. The rock samples were taken back to the lab for analysis. With the first stage of testing on one of the samples completed, two new primes were added to the Building Blocks of the Known Universe, which has every prime thus far discovered. It is amazing how a prime, such as Hydro and Oksy are combined in nature to form water. And for the longest time, it was believed there were only a set number of primes; the Kerbals attending academy will now have to learn two more, bring the total of primes to around 111.

EjvW2QE.jpg

Yesterday morning, as we completed the first pre-mission briefing for our next Minimus mission, we were able to watch Lieutenant Mertrey test the newest version of the Kyap line of aircraft. It's been over a couple of months since I've flown as a test pilot; Gene officially removed me from the active test pilot roster on the 17th of Neidon. He said the decision was made by Dr. Haywood. Apparently Dr. Haywood and the rest of his committee do not want me distracted from my duties as a Kerbalnaut. 

Anyhow, we watched as the Kyap X-5 climbed up over the end of the runway, and continued it's ascent into the thin cloud layer over the open sea. It was then we overheard the conversation being broadcast from the speakers in the observation room.

"Tracking, this is Kerbite 3," we heard as the young test pilot radioed his status to Gene and the gang. "I've got a faulty indicator lamp on the port afterburner..."

"Kerbite 3, this is Harrison... how can you have an afterburner failure lamp when you've not activated the afterburners..." Harrison asked, somewhat confused.

"Gene," Bobak called out. His cool demeanor evident in his voice. "Telemetry and data being received is indicating a massive failure in the fuel pump sys..." And with that, the master alarm filled the cockpit of the Kyap. We could hear it's tone in the background as Mertrey updated the tower of the craft's status. For whatever reason, the X-5 was losing thrust. The loss of thrust and power generated by the engines would eventually mean other systems of the craft would begin to fail.

"Kerbite 3, this is Gene..." but before he could give further instructions, his transmission was interrupted.

"This is Kerbite 3, I'm punching out..." and with that, we watched as Mertrey did the only thing any test pilot could do in that situation.

JFr8jPs.jpg

6Kkmuwv.jpg

The status of both Mertrey and the X-5 continued to play over the speakers. The craft's onboard computer system continued to provide data until the craft slammed into the ocean. While the cause of the failure will certainly be investigated, Harrison was already calling the hangar. The speakers in the observation room shut off but not before we heard the anger in his voice.  "You tell that idiot I want those plans, the wind tunnel simulation data, and the master diagnostics system data on the table by the time I get there..." and with that, the conference room became unnaturally quiet. It was certainly going to be a long night for every Kerman who designed, worked on, or tested any component of the craft. Harrison had the reputation of getting the answers he needed to figure out his puzzles.

It would be much worse for those Kermen when Major Thompberry began to perform the required investigation as required by the URK's Defense Force, His investigations were even harder and unlike Harrison's investigations, he doesn't stop until there's nothing left to investigate. Yesterday evening, while at the sunset meal, Bobak told Karloff, me, and the three others at the table that Thompberry was still "unofficially" investigating Bill's disappearance.

dOzs3Fz.jpg

During this morning's pre-dawn briefing, I noticed Gene wasn't there. Bobak did a pretty good job at running the briefing. He mentioned that Jebediah and Bob would be returning to the KSC in two more days. While Jebediah was being put back onto limited flight status, the Committee on Spaceflight and Exploration wanted to gradually return him to full flight status. For the next month Jebediah will be flying routine patrols until confidence in his abilities has been restored.

He also told us that on the 22nd of Neidon, the Grand Committee began realigning and reassigning responsibilities to the various committees. Dr. Haywood would now chair the new Committee on Spaceflight and Exploration.The old Committee on Aeronautics and Spaceflight and the Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization were realigned and redefined. While spaceflight and exploration would be handled by one committee, a second committee would handle colonization and settlement. We were told to expect more changes in the structure of the Defense Forces.

Bobak also informed everyone in the briefing that my crew and I would have another mission in twenty days - Minimus Excursion 4. While not all of the details were discussed, Dr. Haywood did add that this would be the first mission where four Kerman would make up the complete crew of a launch mission. And with his final comments, Bobak asked me to remain behind; I had "special orders" from Gene.

zZwbLL9.jpg

My orders were clear. I was to leave the KSC for seven days - that's seven days I will not be able to train with my crew! Bobak handed me a brown sleeve, sealed with an official seal of the Grand Committee. The seal bore the insignia of Dr. Edmund Kerman! Since his appointment as the chair of the Triune Committee of the Defense Forces, he has been the biggest supporter of Gene's efforts to intermingle the defense of Kerbin into the space exploration program. 

Already, Gilti and Karloff are busy in the simulators practicing for the next mission. And while they were flying in a world of simulated launch vehicles, I was heading to Tulum Ha'Ta'ab, the major port for the Kerbin navy. it's only about an hour and a half flight and it went fairly well for the most part. It had been nearly two months since the last time I sat in my assigned aircraft - the first production model of the Koos Mk 1. Knowing Gene wasn't in the tower, I couldn't resist having a little fun.

ODCX6hB.jpg

Once I was roughly a kilometer away from the KSC, I hit the afterburner and pulled back on the arms of my craft until I was flying nearly vertical. Once I hit 2,000 meters above sea level, I rolled the Koos and headed towards my destination.

"Khaob, this is tracking," Kuzzter's voice called out over my headset. "You'd better be glad Gene's not at the center today... you remember the LAST time Jebediah did that..."

"Yeah, I remember" I responded. "Why do you think I waited until I was sure Gene wasn't here..." and with that, laughter could be heard over the headset. It was nearly comical watching Gene and Jebediah banter about the stunts he'd pull in a cockpit. But while it's fun watching it, it's not fun when Gene's wrath is directed at you.

qUNy10O.jpg

I had just crossed the ocean and was beginning to fly over the desert when the unexpected happened.

C7p7IJT.jpg

jvR1kgu.jpg

Without any warning, the master alarm began to sound, indicating some sort of failure. The small computer screen on the console indicated a low fuel pressure, and as I began the on-board diagnostics, the problem was clear - something triggered the release of the external fuel tank. Still having plenty of fuel to fly to Tulum Ha'Ta'ab, I really had no real concern about being able to complete the rest of the flight. While the external tank does carry an additional 150 units, the internal fuel tanks hold enough fuel to continue the trip to the tulum and back to the KSC. Just to be sure, I asked the ground crew to top off my tanks before my return to the space center.

b2FzyXB.jpg

9OJS4hY.jpg

xeo1CIV.jpg

Within a few minutes of landing, one of the ground crew from Tulum Ha' Ta'ab, a young sergeant came and introduced herself as Ertiko. "Sir, Commander, we've been expecting you. I'm sure you realize it, but you've lost your external tank..."

And there, under the craft, the external tank cradle was still in place. Normally, when a tank is jettisoned, the tank cradle drops with it, allowing for the Koos to be more aerodynamic. "Yeah, I knew something was up. Just top her off before I have to fly back."

"You can take my doodlebug, sir," she said as she hooked up the tanker to my craft. "Lieutenant Jebfrey is waiting for you, but you're about an hour ahead of schedule. Right now, we have the Sinaan in port, she leaves this afternoon, and the Tekto should be leaving port at any time." And with those words, I knew how I wanted to spend part of that hour.

zzr5LXj.jpg

From what I was told by others who have served in the Kerbin navy, it's not uncommon to have at least one ship stay in port for a few days before heading out. But since last night, the Sinaan, commanded by Captain Valentina herself, arrived in port last night. On her maiden voyage, Valentina decided to take the Sinaan on a test cruise circumnavigating the planet. If I hurried, I could make it in time to see not one, but two vessels in port. Everyone has said it's rare to see two ships sitting at the Tulum Ha' Ta'ab port.

LLPcC1Q.jpg

Al0rwyM.jpg

By the time I arrived at the dock, the Tekto had already set sail, the smoke from her engines visible in the distance. Her orders were to patrol the Great Southern Ocean for two months and return to the the tulum. But sitting there, still moored to the dock but under preparations to depart on her own mission, was the Sinaan, the flagship of the Kerbin navy. I've never seen anything that big before, but wanted to see it compared to the Tekto, a Dres-class patrol craft. I'm still not sure why someone like Captain Valentina would give up spaceflight for command of an oceangoing vessel. Rumors are that Gene and Dr. Haywood either forced her out of spaceflight or she requested it, not wanting to run into the UFOs that Bill encountered on the first Minimus Excursion mission. But whatever the story is, she is now the most senior officer in the Kerbin navy and she now commands a ship that's twice the size of the Dres, from what I've heard.

The meeting with Lieutenant Jebfrey was short. He welcomed me to the port, gave me my room assignment, and told me he was under instructions from Dr. Edmund to inform me I would receive my next set of orders tomorrow at the morning briefing. Until then, I was to simply enjoy my stay at the port. I think this evening I will go down to the docks and watch the Sinaan leave port. I've heard that at night, the ships have all their lights on and it's a sight to see!

23 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Thanks! That's a mixture of STX - continued and of course, @Angel-125's Buffalo mod. It's convenient, looks pretty neat, and does the job of getting Kerbals from point A to B.

That's what my old doodlebugs did, get you from point a to b... and have some fun doing it... but I'm probably gonna retire mine... thanks to @Angel-125 :D

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That's what my old doodlebugs did, get you from point a to b... and have some fun doing it... but I'm probably gonna retire mine... thanks to @Angel-125 :D

I've thought about it. I'd like to see if we could convince @Angel-125 to make a rover set that's 1/2 size smaller than the Buffalo and would sit the operating crew one behind the other. Since he has the Mole, the Buffalo, the Bison, it could be simply called the "Gopher" because, well... It would not require a new set of wheels or even chassis, as the 1/2 sized chassis segments in the Buffalo would work. Offer it with one additional part since you can already use the Buckboard as a fuel tank or as a storage compartment - simply a 1/2 wide flatbed...

I was going to try to do it, but at the rate I am going, it would be finished three years after eternity.

38 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I've thought about it. I'd like to see if we could convince @Angel-125 to make a rover set that's 1/2 size smaller than the Buffalo and would sit the operating crew one behind the other. Since he has the Mole, the Buffalo, the Bison, it could be simply called the "Gopher" because, well... It would not require a new set of wheels or even chassis, as the 1/2 sized chassis segments in the Buffalo would work. Offer it with one additional part since you can already use the Buckboard as a fuel tank or as a storage compartment - simply a 1/2 wide flatbed...

I was going to try to do it, but at the rate I am going, it would be finished three years after eternity.

@JustJim As a matter of fact, I have some small rover chassis sitting on my hard drive. The basic idea at the time was to plug them into a chassis, then put the external command seats on them, and off you go. :)

Loving the story developments and the attention to detail. Your take on the elements is spot on. :)

22 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@JustJim As a matter of fact, I have some small rover chassis sitting on my hard drive. The basic idea at the time was to plug them into a chassis, then put the external command seats on them, and off you go. :)

Loving the story developments and the attention to detail. Your take on the elements is spot on. :)

See, there you go! Cannot wait to see what you do with them and cannot wait to play with the parts! :D 

Thank you for the patience shown by you (and my other readers) in hanging with me. I do not get to post as often as I would like to, but I do my best. I believe the small details, such as the indication of the discovery of additional elements (which I do believe we will discover more within our own solar system), actually add depth to the story. The last chapter was a bit heavy in Kerny retelling the most recent actions of the Grand Committee in its realignment of it's subcommittees. This was necessary to correct a couple of errors I made earlier in the story.

I've made a massive Excel spreadsheet to track current ship crews, missions, and a whole bunch of other things. It's now become a necessity... :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Neidon 28, Y003
"Whispers of shadows, voices from the past"  (Part 2)
Chapter 34

otYN5Ku.png

I'd heard from nearly everyone at the station that the Sinaan would be leaving port an hour after sundown yesterday. Taking the advice of Lieutenant Jebfrey, I climbed on top of the habitation module facing the harbor. And sure enough, right after Kerbol disappeared over the horizon in the west, my communications scanner picked up the conversation between the pier, the Sinaan, and the settlement's control room.

"Harbormaster, this is Lieutenant Commander Alddred. Sinaan requesting permission for disembarkation from port facilities." Although I was familiar with who he is, I've never met him. From what I remember, he is currently serving as the ship's executive officer.

"Sinaan, this is the harbormaster. Permission granted. May the gods bless you on your journeys..." Earlier yesterday afternoon, I met Master Chief Petty Officer Megsie. She had been the harbormaster of the station since the first module was brought to the location. What I found fascinating was her commitment to what many referred to as the Way of the Ancients, the old Kerbin religion that existed long before the First Great War. 

Within twenty minutes, the Sinaan was nothing more than a point of light against the dark background. Within an hour, it slipped past the horizon and would take a heading that would put it back on whatever mission she had been assigned. I had hoped to be able to go on board her while she was in port yesterday, but simply ran out of time.

Although I was supposed to have most of the time off until I received orders from Gene, Lieutenant Jebfrey offered me the chance to participate in the promotion boards for the three eligible members of the settlement. I'd never been a part of the promotion board process. From what I understand of the process, the enlisted have to pass the boards to be eligible for their next promotion. I also learned it is customary that the highest ranking officer act as the chair of the committee determining eligibility. It is still hard to believe that I was that highest ranking officer!

While I was watching the Sinaan and participating in the promotion board, I was unaware of a mission two members of my crew were sent on. Last night's briefing notes said Karloff and Gilti had been given a special mission to test a new launch vehicle.

hSIxbYH.jpg

WOlCOMf.jpg

The new launch vehicle has been in the process of design since my early days of Kerbalnaut training. Simply known as the Bacab I, it is a heavy lifter capable of putting larger components into orbit. At the top of the launch vehicle was a new capsule, capable of carrying a crew of five into orbit, possibly beyond.

Earlier this morning, I received my daily briefing in the station's video conference room. I'm not sure why, but this has been the third briefing where Kuzzter or Bobak has given the briefing rather than being given by Gene. Anyhow, I learned the mission was a complete success; the heavy lifter performed well, but a bit overpowered. Karloff reported the lifter assembly began to shake once the speed passed 645 meters per second at 7,000 meters. Bobak told me that as my crew's second in command, he was able to make mission-essential decisions based on the training and guidance I had given him. He said there were some other comments and observations about my crew, but I would have to wait until Gene could give me the "official" briefing.

a4YXfDv.png

oT1ImTc.png

The rest of Bobak's briefing about that mission included the performance of the new crew capsule. After orbit was achieved, Karloff and Gilti were to test the new crew capsule's potential by completing three orbits and then perform a deorbit burn to return to the surface of Kerbin. Early this morning, according to KSC time, the procedures of the deorbit burn were executed flawlessly. Twenty minutes later, my crew touched down, ending a perfect mission. Bobak told me that unless anything else comes up, our next mission - Minimus Excursion IV, will use this new crew capsule.

What surprised me next was what happened as the briefing came to a close. "Commander Kerny," Bobak said, in a serious and questioning tone. "Is there anyone else in the room with you? The video capture is only focused on you."

"Yes, Bobak, I am the only one here." In all the times I've ever had a video briefing, any briefing at all, I've never been asked this particular question.

"Commander, on the panel in front of you is a yellow button, I need you to press it to activate it..." Bobak instructed.

Within what seemed like a fraction of a second after pressing the button, I heard the room's door seal with a loud click as the magnetic locks engaged. Although I had seen Gene seal off his office while he was on the video communicator with Dr. Haywood and other high ranking Grand Committee officials, this was the first time I had ever been in a room while it was sealed. Immediately, the white light from the hydrargyrum-vapor lamps was replaced by a strange blue light emitted from low energy diodes. A white button on the panel blinked on and off, indicating a secure connection with the KSC.

"Commander, in accordance to orders Y003-GC-UKDF 17, you are ordered to depart Tulum Ha' Ta'ab. A sea goose has been dispatched and is now awaiting you to board. Once you have boarded the aircraft, you are to proceed to the coordinates given to the flight crew. Departure has been ordered to be executed no later than 2:27 based on KSC operations time - approximately 12 minutes from now. Orders issued by Dr. Edmund Kerman, confirmed by decree of the Triune Committee of the U.R.K. Defense Forces. Further instructions include these orders are not to be published or recorded in the Annals of the Triune Committee. Do you understand your orders, sir?"

"Yes, Bobak..." it was all I could say before he continued.

"Commander, this channel is closed..."

And with that, the image of Bobak and the KSC's command center was replaced by a blank blue screen, then to an image of the station's insignia. What seemed like minutes later, but actually seconds, the lighting returned to normal and the magnetic locks released. I had my orders.

JUVoukS.jpg

Edited by adsii1970

@Angel-125: I cannot believe the flexibility of the M.O.L.E. mod! Once I began tinkering with it, I knew I had to add it to the story.  I love the fact it allows for a crew larger than 3... and I will soon be making use of it. On another note, I had a sombrero solar array blow up during a screen change. Yes, it was installed and connected, no warping happened, and when I went from the tracking center to an outpost location - it exploded as it was loading! What did I do wrong - as this is a new problem. I had attached it to a Muncrete pad...which was attached to the surface of Kerbin.

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

@Angel-125: I cannot believe the flexibility of the M.O.L.E. mod! Once I began tinkering with it, I knew I had to add it to the story.  I love the fact it allows for a crew larger than 3... and I will soon be making use of it. On another note, I had a sombrero solar array blow up during a screen change. Yes, it was installed and connected, no warping happened, and when I went from the tracking center to an outpost location - it exploded as it was loading! What did I do wrong - as this is a new problem. I had attached it to a Muncrete pad...which was attached to the surface of Kerbin.

Glad you are having fun with MOLE. Should be interesting to see what happens when the DLC is added to the mix.

I haven't heard of any problems with the Sombrero before now, do you have logs? It sounds like a collider issue, but not sure. Was it attached to anything other than the Muncrete pad?

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I haven't heard of any problems with the Sombrero before now, do you have logs? It sounds like a collider issue, but not sure. Was it attached to anything other than the Muncrete pad?

[Edited by adsii1970]

Which log do you need? No, I had it on the muncrete pad, then had the pad connected to the Hacienda.

I had an idea for a part - what about a M.O.L.E. part that is a chute that is round... I think you see where I am going?

Edited by adsii1970

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.