Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 87: "Among the growing shadows."]

adsii1970

1 hour ago, obney kerman said:

Wait, so now I'm a mean drill sergeant? I guess...

Little known fact about drill sergeants, at least in the Army... Only a few get to be drill sergeants, and they go through a really tough school themselves, before becoming one. It's quite an honor, actually... and they're only mean and tough because they have to be... they're training a bunch of dumb kids to try and survive in the harshest environment imaginable... Tough is good... trust me!  :wink:

1 hour ago, obney kerman said:

Wait, so now I'm a mean drill sergeant? I guess...

Nope. Major Obney is the commandant of the training academy. Kind of think of it as being the senior officer of either Anapolis or West Point...

21 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm going to have to sign out for now. I have just been summoned for an emergency meeting with Dr. Edmund, the chair of the Triune Committee.

This sounds a bit ominous :wink:   Especially coming right after the word "Jeb" was mentioned .....

Now wait, I once lived in Louisiana... and I can vouch that there are things in the swamps and bayous that look like fish with feet... And I can tell you based on some experience, I have an ex-wife that is related to either an alligator gar or snapping turtle... :wink:

27 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Now wait, I once lived in Louisiana... and I can vouch that there are things in the swamps and bayous that look like fish with feet...

We call those frogs.  For them, we have spears :)

27 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And I can tell you based on some experience, I have an ex-wife that is related to either an alligator gar or snapping turtle... :wink:

That's not as bad as mine.  She was all fire ant :) 

13 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

We call those frogs.  For them, we have spears :)

Oh, yes! I spent considerable time frog-gigging myself... Good times! I kinda miss it now. :(

14 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

That's not as bad as mine.  She was all fire ant :) 

Hmmm, I'm not sure that's any better... :/

3 hours ago, Thedrelle said:

I'm still waiting for the Jeb Shoe to drop. WHAT is he up to?

Well, if you remember a few chapters about, Bob reported that Jebediah makes regular treks to the crashed UFO. He's still searching for answers into Bill's disappearance.

But don't worry. There will be more revelations about Jebediah and his odd behavior in the chapters to come.

26 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Well, if you remember a few chapters about, Bob reported that Jebediah makes regular treks to the crashed UFO. He's still searching for answers into Bill's disappearance.

But don't worry. There will be more revelations about Jebediah and his odd behavior in the chapters to come.

Can't wait!

Edit:

Also catching up is a problem because sometimes I can't give enough likes

Edited by Orion Kerman

• 3 weeks later...

Adapted from Governing Statues and Decrees of the Grand Committee of the United Republic of Kerbin (Y001). Ed. Herodikus Kerman and J. Marshall Kerman. New Kerbin City: Central Kerbia University Press.

Article I (Defining the Grand Committee, Membership, and Standing Committees)

Section 1: All legislative and related governmental powers herein granted shall be vested in a Grand Committee of the United Republic of Kerbin, which shall consist of a body of five, called the Committee of Five, a second sub-committee to the Grand Committee called the Delegates of Five, and the committee of the whole of the Grand Committee.

Section 2:  The Grand Committee shall be comprised of one consul from each inhabited region of Kerbin. The consul is elected by the eligible voting residents of the inhabited region represented within the Grand Committee. Elected consuls are limited to two terms, or twenty years of service within the Grand Committee (See Section 3 for exceptions and exemptions). After the first election, the Grand Committee shall be divided into three classes. The seats of the first class shall expire after the third year, the second class expires after the 7th year, and the third class expires after ten years. 

1. If vacancies happen by resignation, death, ascension to office, or otherwise,  the administrator of the inhabited area may make a temporary appointment until the next election of consuls is conducted, regardless of the class of the vacant consul's class. 
    1. Kermen who have been temporarily appointed to complete the term of an elected consul shall remain eligible to serve two terms as an elected consul.
    2. The time of service as a temporary appointee will count towards eligibility for officer election within the Grand Committee if the Kerman continues to serve beyond the temporary appointment.
  2. No Kerman shall be a consul who has not attained the age of service (24 years) and has not been a resident of the inhabited region represented by at least nine years. 

Section 3: The Grand Committee shall choose their own officers who must be considered as in good standing in their role of consul. No consul may serve as an officer of the Grand Commitee having less than five years of service within the Committee and an active member of a standing committee for no less than three years. Other requirements for officers of the Grand Committee are as stated:

1. Grand Consul:  Serves for one term of ten years and receives the simple majority vote or confirmation by the members of the Grand Committee.
    1. Must have been a member of the Grand Committee for not less than ten years and
      1. the chair of an independent committee for three years or
      2. has served as the associate prime consul for five years and
      3. has not previously served as an elected Grand Consul.
    2. The Grand Consul may serve more than ten years if they have succeeded the previous Grand Consul when serving in the capacity of Associate Prime Consul.
      1. Unless the time served in the absence of of the elected Grand Consul exceeds five consecutive years
      2. Unless the time served as Grand Consul is ten years but the time in service is not consecutive.
    3. Tenure of the Grand Consul
      1. No Grand Consul may serve more than one complete term of ten continuous years.
      2. The ten year term served by the Grand Consul does not count towards the two-term limit of twenty years.
      3. The Grand Consul, by the design and nature of the Grand Committee, does not serve to represent any inhabited region.
      4. The Grand Consul is exempt from serving on all standing committees, the Delegates of Five, or from the Triune Committee on of the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces, or any standing committees which may create a conflict of interest.
  2. Associate Grand Consul: Serves for one term of ten years up to a total of two terms. The Associate Grand Consul is elected and confirmed by a simple majority vote by the members of the grand committee.
    1. Must have been a member of the grand committee for not less than ten years and
      1. the chair of an independent committee for three years and
      2. has not previously served as an elected Grand Consul, and
      3. has not previously served more than one term as the Associate Grand Consul.
    2. In the absence of an associate grand consul because of resignation, death, ascension to office, or otherwise, the Grand Committee shall hold a special session to elect a new associate grand consul. 
    3. Tenure of the Associate Grand Consul
      1. No Associate Grand Consul may serve more than two complete terms of ten years each (20 years total).
      2. The ten year term served by the Associate Grand Consul does not count towards the two-term limit of twenty years.
      3. The Associate Grand Consul, by the design and nature of the Grand Committee, does not serve to represent any inhabited region.
      4. The Associate Grand Consul serves as the Prime Consul on the Committee of Five, may serve as the Prime Consul on the Delegates of Five if requested by the Grand Consul and confirmed by a majority consent of the Grand Consuls of Justice.
      5. The Associate Grand Consul cannot serve as a member of any Panel of Inquiry.
  3. Consul: (title position). Not considered as a formal officer position within the Grand Committee. From the established procedures of General Zebulan Kerman, the concept of the membership of the Grand Committee consists of:
    1. Consul: Any Kerman who is elected or appointed to complete a term of office within the Grand Committee.
    2. Senior Consul: A title of seniority given to consuls who have served as a consul for a combined fifteen years of service within the Grand Committee. Only Senior Consuls are authorized to become the chair of any standing committee.
  4. The Committee of Five: This committee functions to govern the United Republic of Kerbin in day-to-day operations and where the oversight of the complete Grand Committee is impractical. The terms of officer assignments of each member determines the makeup of the committee. The membership of the Committee of Five includes:
    1. The Grand Consul (or the Associate Grand Council, as designee)
    2. The Senior Consul of the Triune Committee
    3. Chair, Committee of Aeronautics and Space Exploration
    4. Chair, Committee of Colonization and Settlement
    5. Member at large (any random consul serving within the Grand Committee
  5. The Delegates of Five: This committee serves in the absence of the Committee of Five and provides guidance and leadership for issues where action by the Committee of Five may or may not be required. The terms of officer assignments of each member determines the makeup of the delegates.
    1. The membership of the Delegates of five includes:
      1. Director, Kerbin Aeronautics and Space Administration.
      2. Flag officer or flag officer designee of the Kerbin Defense Forces.
      3. Member at large (any random consul serving within the Grand Committee)
      4. Senior Consul Member at large (any random Senior consul serving within the Grand Committee)
      5. A member of the Triune Committee
    2. The Delegates of Five are empowered to:
      1.  Call for a Panel of Inquiry and assign members in accordance with Article X.
      2. Take action on civil judicial issues forwarded to the Grand Committee from the Grand Council of Justice (see Article XII).
      3. Oversee and administer oversight to special projects designated by either the Grand Committee as a whole or the Committee of Five.
  6. Triune Committee on of the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces: This is one of the standing committees within the Grand Committee. The areas of responsibility includes the defense of Kerbin and other regions beyond Kerbin's atmosphere as defined by statute or regulation passed by the Grand Committee or the Committee of Five.
    1. The membership consists of three members:
      1. Senior Consul of the Triune Committee: Serves for one term of ten years and may serve up to a total of three terms. The Senior Consul of the Triune Committee is appointed by the Grand Consul and confirmed by a simple majority vote by the members of the grand committee.
        1. Must have been a member of the Kerbin Defense Forces and served at least five years in the capacity of a commissioned officer and
        2. Has not previously served as the Grand Consul or Associate Grand Consul.
      2. Triune Consul (two): These officers of the Grand Committee serves for one term of ten years and may serve up to a total of two terms. The Triune Consuls are appointed by the Senior Consul of the Triune Committee and the confirmation by the Grand Consul.
        1. Service in the Kerbin Defense Forces is not required.
        2. Has not previously served as the Grand Consul, Associate Grand Consul, or Senior Consul.
    2. The Senior Consul of the Triune Committee is required to:
      1. Serve on a Panel of Inquiry if directed by the Grand Consul, Associate Grand Consul, or at the request of the Committee of Five.
      2. Serve on the Committee of Five
    3. The Triune Consuls of the Triune Committee are required to:
      1. Serve on a Panel of Inquiry if directed by the Grand Consul, Associate Grand Consul, or at the request of the Committee of Five.
      2. Serve one term of five years on the Delegates of Five, staggered, so that the Triune Committee is represented and can act upon information relating to the defense of Kerbin in times when the Grand Committee is in recess or a full meeting of the Grand Committee is impractical.
      3. Surrender their seat of representation for their inhabited region. By the design and nature of the Triune Committee, members do not serve to represent any inhabited region.
  7. Standing Committees of the Grand Committee: Each consul is required to serve on one or more standing committees of the Grand Committee.
    1. Standing committee assignment tenure runs concurrently with the tenure of an elected consul.
      1. Consuls are assigned to a standing committee based on their training, career experience, or talent field.
      2. Consuls can serve on two committees simultaneously
      3. A committee term is one ten-year term. Consuls may serve on the same committee for up to two terms.
    2. The tenure as a chair of a standing committee is not counted towards the tenure limit of consuls. Committee chairs do not serve to represent any inhabited region.
      1. Chairs of standing committees are reserved for Senior Consuls with at least fifteen years of service within the Grand Committee
      2. Senior consuls must have served on two committees within their tenure as consul before being appointed by the Associate Grand Consul to the position of chair.
    3. Current Standing Committees include:
      1. Committee on Aeronautics and Spaceflight (rescinded Plock 4, Y002)
      2. Committee on Space Exploration and Colonization (rescinded Plock 4, Y002)
      3. Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration
      4. Committee on Colonization and Settlement
      5. Committee on Education and Standards
      6. Committee on Antiquities
      7. Committee on Economic and Industrial Development (Currently not constituted)

2 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

That's a lot more fine print than most Kerbals can comprehend :) 

Yes, it probably is! But with what is about to happen in the next chapter, some of that stuff will help the reader understand what's happening. :wink:

Besides, if it also serves to explain a Kerbin-style government in ways where it not only makes sense, but is mind blowing...

Moho 10, Y003 
"Kerny, here's where we are at... and I need your help"

Chapter 56

I arrived at the location Dr. Edmund wanted me to meet him and found he was already there. He was sitting at one of the outside tables as I approached. Although I have met him a couple of times before, I could tell there was something bothering this old Kerman.

OmLGbTl.png

"Ah, Captain," he began. "I'm glad you've made it. How was your flight from the Island Airfield?"

"Sir, it was a little different." I couldn't believe how foreign it felt to fly an atmospheric craft after being in space for little over a week. "It kinda felt like coming off a vacation. You know, trying to get used to doing things the way you did them before the vacation started."

"Believe me, Kerny," the old Kerbal added. "I understand more than you know. I never was one that enjoyed vacations. I enjoy following a routine."

"I completely understand, sir," I replied. "But I know you didn't invite me here to discuss vacations -- "

"You are very perceptive, Kerny." Dr. Edmund began, leaning over the small table between us. "Tomorrow you will appear before the Committee of the Five, but you should already know that."

"Yes, sir. I heard that Commodore Valentina was asked to take part in whatever this is, but by video conference --" but before I could finish my sentence, Dr. Edmund waved me off.

"Captain, I will tell you as I did her," the importance in his tone identified how important this meeting was. "Prime Consul Katrine is coming close to the election. If you remember, she succeeded the term of Prime Consul Piper --"

"I don't remember too much about Prime Consul Piper. At the time she stepped down I was just entering the basic training part of the Kerbalnaut training program." I interrupted. It was obvious Dr. Edmund was not thrilled about my interjection.

"Um, yes," he continued. "You may not remember this, but she resigned from office for... personal reasons. And that's how Katrine became Prime Consul. She had served nearly a term and a half before she ascended to her current position."

"Yes, sir," it was hard to believe that she had only been Prime Consul for less than two years. But why was Dr. Edmund telling me this?

"She will be up for election for her own term in another year, Captain." He added. "As you know, the entire first class of consuls and all the major officer positions within the Grand Counsel will be up for the confirmation vote. Including the position of Grand Consul."

9VNhiMF.png

"But what does this have to do with me, Sir... I am afraid I don't understand --"

"Yesterday, in the conference with Commodore Valentina, the Prime Consul asked her questions about what she felt she should do about Captains Jebediah and Bob. She even hinted at sending an armed detachment of the GEF to arrest them both. She also asked Valentina to discuss Gene's ability to oversee the space program and the space center. I can imagine she will begin to ask you the same questions, too."

"I understand, Dr. Edmund --"

"As you know, I am the head of Section 31; there are things we know that not everyone knows, Captain." his tone changed to a more serious and somber tone. "You cannot tell her that Bob is acting under my orders. It will jeopardize what we're trying to do."

"But how is that... her knowing... going to jeopardize Captain Bob's mission?" I really didn't understand. To me, it seemed more important to protect Bob, a well-respected member of the space program, than to have the Grand Counsel believe he, too, was beginning to lose his mind.

"Because she doesn't know Section 31 exists..." he began to explain. "Section 31 was set up on Sarnus 15 Y-025. That's thirty-five years before the Emergence. It was put into place by Prime Consul Z. Uaxac Kerman. He is the one who recruited me. And from the very beginning he wanted Section 31 to be independent of the Prime Consul's influence. Our main duties are to protect Kerbin, the Grand Committee, and to assure we are prepared."

"Yes, sir." I still wasn't too sure about where this conversation was heading. "I understood that when you and Gene approached me about joining Section 31 --"

"Kerny, Katrine is suspicious of Gene. She wants to replace him with the consul for the region. And that would be Consul Rayvan. But Consul Rayvan is also the daughter of Katrine. I am meeting with each member of Section 31 to take an assessment of the situation --"

"You don't think she's attempting to --"

"Commodore Valentina and Dr. Haywood both came to me with the same concerns. It is essential to the space program that Gene remain in his current position. And we do not need to give Katrine anything that could possibly cause her to name Rayvan as his replacement. In all honesty, I'd rather have Jebediah... even in his current state of mind... running the space program than Rayvan."

wjvRWFQ.png

"Sir, Rayven has been very supportive of the space program from what I've seen --"

"I sit in the Grand Committee. Believe me, she and her mother see the space program as a tool to bargain with. At the last meeting of the entire Grand Committee, she proposed an increase to the space program's budget in exchange for extending the terms of the Prime Consul and committee chair positions to a twenty-year term... If Katrine appoints her daughter to oversee the space program --"

"It would only be a matter of time before..." I couldn't believe what I was hearing from Dr. Edmund. But even I had noticed the difference between Grand Consul Piper and Grand Consul Katrine. While Grand Consul Piper did attend certain launches, Kerbalnaut training graduations, and other special events, she was not as public as Katrine. And wherever Katrine was, she always brought Rayven. And of course, it came out after our Board of Inquiry that she had personally assigned Rayven to the board rather than follow the protocol of allowing the Associate Prime Consul to appoint the members. Even the data packet Bobak forwarded to us did contain a story from KNN questioning the motives behind the many unusual actions taken by Prime Consul Katrine.

"Captain, there's something else I would like you to do," he began. "I know you were following orders when you left the Minmus orbit to return here. But did you happen to try and figure out what was orbiting around it? Was it an old probe?"

"Dr. Edmund, no, we didn't do any scans. But even my first officer, Commander Karloff, thought we should go and investigate it. But with the narrow window given to us --"

"Ah, yes. Prime Consul Katrine ordered your early return so she could discuss 'certain matters' with you, as she put it." It was clear from Dr. Edmund's voice that he was agitated with the most recent developments. "But on your next Minmus mission take every opportunity to determine exactly what's orbiting it. And when it has been determined, send your findings directly to me, mark them Priority. And encrypt it. Kerny, here's where we are at... and I need your help..."

In total, our meeting lasted almost an hour. By the time I returned to my assigned quarters, I had a lot to think about... and still do! Not only had Katrine threaten to cut off funding for some of the various space projects, she was also attempting to cut funding to the Kerbal Defense Forces budget and the University of Kerbania! Before I left the space center yesterday to give my presentation at the training academy, Bobak mentioned his concern on the Prime Consul's increased scrutiny of the entire space program.

This morning, I attended the Committee of Five hearing as ordered by the Prime Consul. I was glad that Dr. Edmund had prepared me for the agenda which Prime Consul Katrine planned to pursue.

9Kamw4x.png

I immediately recognized Prime Consul Katrine, Consul Rayvan, Dr. Haywood, and Dr. Edmund. But to my left was Senior Consul Maxbas.

Yr14GWu.png

I took my seat between Maxbas and Dr. Edmund. Within moments of the unofficial greetings and discussions, the Prime Consul called the meeting into order.

"At this time," she began, "I would like to welcome Captain Kerny to this meeting of the Committee of the Five." For just a few minutes we exchanged the common pleasantries before she redirected our attention. "With that now out of the way, I'd like to suggest we discuss our first item of business. Captain Kerny, you were summonsed to this Committee because I would like your honest observations regarding a few topics."

"Yes, ma'am..." I began. "I will do my best."

"On your most previous mission, were there any difficulties you experienced?" Not the question I was expecting.

"Ma'am, there wasn't any real issue that jeopardized our mission." I began. "We had some questions about procedural rules regarding the newest member of my crew, Ensign Triy --"

"And let's start there..." The Prime Consul interrupted. "Why wouldn't Gene... er... General Gene... allow her to go on a spacewalk at first --"

"Ma'am, that's not a question for the Captain," Dr. Haywood interrupted. "It is in the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration Directive 3. No Kerbal not certified as a Kerbalnaut shall be permitted to enter a hazardous area of operation, conduct a spacewalk --"

"But wasn't her mere presence on the rocket a violation of that directive?" This time, it was Senior Consul Maxbas who asked the question.

"Yes, ma'am," I began. "It's a space ship and not a rocket. But yes, you are correct. Even after we found her as a stow-away on the Excursion, I made the decision to keep her on as a member of my crew... even though she hadn't completed training..."

"You made the decision?" Prime Consul Katrine was now leaning on the table. "What or who gave you the right and authority to make this decision?"

"I did," Dr. Edmond said as he continued to look down at the screen in front of him. "The standing orders from the Triune Committee is that a captain of a ship gets to choose their own crew. And to be very clear the Excursion is just that. She is a ship in space. When Captain Kerny explained to myself, Dr. Haywood, and General Gene the potential of Ensign Triy, we did discuss it at great length and determined, by majority lot, if he wanted to keep her as a member of his crew, he should have that right."

"Oh, so Gene didn't agree?" Consul Rayven asked. I could tell she was asking a question her mother wanted asked.

"Not at first." Dr. Edmund said. "But as Captain Kerny explained to us, the only part of her training she hadn't completed was the 500 hours of simulator training. While I didn't share Dr. Haywood's enthusiasm for Captain Kerny's plan, Gene began to see the practical side of what Kerny was saying. One training mission with a duration of one week would be worth more than any 500 hours of simulator time. So, we are now in the process of adopting this across our Defense Forces training program."

"I see," Prime Consul Katrine responded. "But you do agree now, right?"

"Yes, ma'am." Dr. Edmond was not finished yet. "As I stated in my official report to the Grand Committee last month, many of our training regulations were written before the emergence. We didn't know what awaited us on the surface. I've been the Senior Consul of the Triune Committee for ten years and have served on this committee for ten years before that. I was commissioned in the KDF and served as an officer for ten years before that. We cannot continue to train our Kerman the way we have considering our new discoveries and the new potential threats...

"Ah, but there we are again." the Prime Consul said, obviously pleased with herself. "But is there really a threat? How do we know these so-called 'unidentified alien craft' are real? For all I know, they could be hoaxes you're using to prop up the KDF and the space program --"

8ZUzW5r.png

"I assure you they are very real," this time, it was Senior Consul Maxbas who spoke up. I've seen the evidence and you forget... when you were Associate Vice Consul just three years ago, you sent a delegation, which I was a part of, to the Arctic Research Station to see if that alien craft there was real. And I will state this for the record a fifth time, Madam Consul, it is real --" It was clear from her outburst that she was no fan of the Prime Consul.

"Prime Consul Katrine! Senior Consul Maxbas!" Dr. Edmund exclaimed with his arms raised. "We are not here to challenge or attack one another over opinions. We are trying to figure out what is in the best interests of our republic..."

"I agree, this is not the place to discuss funding for the space program," Dr. Haywood chimed in. "We are here to discuss recommendations for improving the training of our Kerbalnauts as well as the need to continue to develop technologies which will allow us to explore and colonize space."

Ignoring the tensions in the room, Prime Consul Katrine continued to press on in her questioning. "Captain Kerny, I have asked this question to Commodore Valentina and I will ask it to you: Do you think General Gene has the best interests of the space program in mind or is there something else --" This was the question I was expecting.

"No ma'am." I had to remember to be respectful in my answer. I will admit her question did infuriate me. "General Gene has done nothing but be supportive of me, the other members of our space program, and even our trainees. He continues to actively work with the training of the KDF in his own time. I doubt we would be where we are currently at in our development if it wasn't for Gene's vision."

"I see," it was obvious that Prime Consul Katrine was disappointed with my answer. "Do you agree with Gene's handling of the whole 'Jebediah affair' and now we have Bob who has also left the space center grounds without authorization?" Now she was going to go after Gene from another angle; I imagine hoping that I would give her some ammunition to rid herself of Gene.

"Ma'am, since you have asked for my 'honest observations' I want to state this for the record. The entire situation Gene was put in was, at best, a lose-lose scenario. Captain Jebediah is one of the most famous Kerbalnauts within the program. There's even a set of Jebediah action figures, space capsule toys, clothing, and a video production about him. Gene never should have been placed on the Panel of Inquiry. Never --"

"You think General Gene was placed in an unfair situation?" Consul Rayvan asked, interrupting me.

"Yes, as well as you." I could feel my anger rising. "You and Jebediah were to be mated by the end of Plock Y001. And he broke off the ties --"

"No, he didn't! It was me, I called it off! I do not know where you get your information, Kerman --"

"That will be enough!" This time the wrath of Maxbas had been kindled. "Yesterday we heard the same line of questioning directed at Commodore Valentina. Between you and the Prime Consul, if I didn't know any better --"

Again, it was Dr. Edmund who interrupted the rising tensions in the room. "I believe we have other matters to discuss before Captain Kerny needs to return to the KSC. Captain, we've discussed you taking on a temporary crew member on your next mission and we'd like your input."

"Yes, sir," I was glad that Dr. Edmund was changing the topic of this meeting. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he is right about the Prime Consul.

"Earlier this morning, we approached your executive officer, Commander Karloff, and offered him the command of his own ship, still to be constructed sometime within the next four months. And he did choose to remain with you and your crew. But we want an experienced officer to command the new ship, the Voyager. So, what we would like you to do is to interview our four candidates and make the decision on which officer will join your crew on your next mission."

"Yes, sir!" It was really happening. Another space ship was being added to our roster. "When do I have to let you know my decision?"

"Well, Captain," this time Maxbas had a different tone, a joking tone, in her voice. "Apparently before you launch to rendezvous with the station!" And with her comment, the entire room busted out in laughter.

Once I returned to my assigned quarters, I decided to check the video news feed and catch up on the information within the most recent data packet sent to me by Bobak. At some point last night, the shuttle being designed by Dr. Wernher took its first orbital flight.

U0ORzMn.png

lWUYeJZ.png

W5tJGio.png

5mS5JkL.png

It had a crew of two, Captain Deruki and Lieutenant Geneely, and had a very simple mission: Achieve orbit, spend three hours in orbit, and return to the KSC. The information in the data packet said the launch was perfect.

CScTraS.png

58CUJvV.png

Once it had completed its final orbit, the crew piloted her to begin the deorbit burn. Again, the new shuttle performed extremely well from what I understand.

KltbWaT.png

8ferrIj.png

um1AUCK.png

JpdgGaX.png

Once the burn was finished, the shuttle was turned around so that the command crew would be able to have complete control of its descent into the atmosphere. Within what seemed like a long period of uncertainty, the shuttle emerged from its plasma envelope. And what's more amazing is how close it came from its planned destination landing at the space center.

PFEXBxJ.png

f1Iz9O3.png

3g3YixP.png

According to the time stamp on the data packet, the landing happened while I witnessed Kerbin's government in action. I was thankful that Bobak also included the audio track with the video feed.

/beep/ "KSC Control, this is Shuttle Tsoolik," the voice said. "We are on final approach, air speed is 75 m/s, altitude is eight-zero-three meters. Are we go for runway approach?"/beep/

"No runway approach," Bobak's familiar voice replied. "The old man says your airspeed is too slow for /beep/ the turn. Proceed with on-peninsula landing. Repeat - proceed with on-peninsula landing."

/beep/ "Roger, Control. Proceeding with on-peninsula landing." 

UJwcyBX.png

G8nQo89.png

And with that, the new shuttle touched down on the space center peninsula. According to the video news feed, the plan is for four of these to be built. The first was the Tsoolik, to be followed by Dauntless, Challenger, and the Jala Kerman.

I still have a half-day here before my return to the space center tomorrow. On my desk is a small data stick that contains the files of the four officers I am supposed to interview with one being selected to temporarily join my crew. Maybe I will review the records this afternoon. Later this evening, I have a meeting with Dr. Haywood. At times like this I miss the solitude of space flight.

Return to the OP (Index) Previous Chapter Next Chapter  

Edited by adsii1970

22 minutes ago, Thedrelle said:

POLITICS... :/

excellent work, as always!

Couldn't resist. Remember, Kerny, whether he likes it or not, is moving higher in the chain of command of the space program. And because of that, it puts him closer into the center of politics - unfortunately.

Love the new shuttle! Great to see one of the meeting attendees watching The Saga of Emiko Station! Politics are never fun either, too bad Kerny is in the middle of it. Also, what are the checks and balances for Section 31? Who or what keeps them in line?

As for the debate about the evidence for UFOs...