Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 86: "The slow passage of time, adrift in space."]

adsii1970

On 5/27/2022 at 5:31 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Back up to date :) 

Not for long. TM

Maybe there’s an Article 25 that provides the means to remove certain senior officials from their posts

Been thinking about that. But then again, in this universe, anything is possible. There's something that's definitely going on and something that will require attention.

half a dozen anti-emitter air to ground missiles…

You're starting to sound a lot like Gene.  :0.0:

Moho 40, Y003
"Always Expect the Unexpected - Even in Your Own Back Yard.
"

MISSION DAY +18.75

Chapter 84

After watching the final four episodes of Emiko Station, I'm a little sad knowing that the series ended. I left my cabin after the last episode with Maxbas fast asleep on my bunk. With only a few hours before the day began, I came to the command deck, not physically tired but mentally exhausted with my concerns about my crew once this mission is finished. At the time of this entry, we are only a day and a half from our rendezvous with the Station Zebulan Kerman.

Today started as any other day aboard. We did our routine course checks, verifying the ship’s navigational computers against the communications satellite in a polar orbit of Kerbin, the Station Zebulan Kerman, and the Münar Eksplorer II satellite. Using those three points, we can verify the calculations made by the Excursion’s navigational computer using triangular mathematics. Triangular mathematical calculations and navigation are one of the requirements every candidate of the space forces must be able to complete before they can graduate from the academy.

UVp11qN.png

kprhpSl.png

wGyA10N.png

Since the emergence only three years ago, our society has made great technological strides in returning to space. Most of the time, our calculations agree with the ship’s computer within an acceptable margin of error. From what I’ve seen in my own experience as a pilot and mission commander, the onboard systems can get us within 100 meters of our desired target. But each mission, except the most recent one to rescue the Discovery IV crew, has been within the orbit of Minmus. While we were able to use the onboard system to intercept and rendezvous with the Discovery, how will the same navigational system function when we are outside of Kerbin’s sphere of influence?

Around midday, we received telemetry from the KSC that the supply rocket launched earlier was inbound. As Bobak’s calculations predicted, it arrived within half an hour of his estimate. Commander Karloff engaged the ship’s automatic tracking and docking control systems when the cargo pod appeared on our radar.

“Captain,” Karloff began, “the Excursion is beginning the auto-alignment process to help facilitate the docking procedures.”

RSrMH8P.png

“Very good,” I responded. “Just like we were taught. By the book.”

“Well, sir,” Karloff said, with a smile and his heavy Northern Plains accent sounding almost mockingly, “we’ve got to show these younger officers how to do it right. Especially since we’re in the home stretch.”

“Yes, sirs,” this time, it was Lieutenant Obion adding to the conversation. “Nothing like spending nearly a month on a mission with no ideal situations and training that only taught us how to deal with ideal situations in space. But now we worry about going by the book. Sirs? Am I missing something?”

“Captain,” Karloff said, as he laughed, “I think Obion is ready for a promotion. It seems he understands bureaucracy far better than we thought he did!”

“Yes, Commander,” I hated to admit it, “it sounds like he does. But still, we need to do as much as we can by the book. And with this mission, we now can tell them – “

“There’s a lot of that book they can shove up their collective –- “ Ensign Hildi began. She was right in her observation. There was so much in the Manual for Space Flight Procedures that didn't make sense for space flights longer than a week. Ours was now going on its eighteenth day - and counting.

“Ensign! Allow our captain to finish his –” Gilti interrupted.

7AcsSpu.png

8R1UIXv.png

JnFaxWJ.png

RV5r46G.png

“Captain,” Obion was cutting into the conversation this time. “the cargo pod’s transponder pinged us. It’s in the final position and is coasting in to dock with us.”

“Excellent, Lieutenant,” I responded. “Carry on.”

TvOD2pD.png

AmdQHiD.png

For the next two hours, Commander Karloff and the rest of the engineering team focused on transferring the monopropellant, liquid fuel/oxy mixture to the Excursion. Once the Excursion's tanks were full, Karloff began detaching and releasing the cargo pod from the ship. Once Karloff started moving the fuel from the pod to the ship, his crew would monitor the progress of transfers, leaving the docking port unobstructed. In the meantime, I assigned Lieutenant Gilti and two other crew members – of her choice – to assist her in transferring the expendable supply items, including snacks, from the pod into the ship's storage.

"Captain," Lieutenant Gilti reported, "I'm happy to tell you we've transferred all the snacks from the pod to the ship's stores. If my calculations are correct, we have another fifteen days of supplies. But why would they send us another fifteen days of supplies when we'll be back home in less than two days?"

"Lieutenant, are you sure?" Commander Karloff asked. "I do not doubt your calculations. But are you saying fifteen days of supplies?"

"Aye, sir! Exactly what I am saying." Gilti said. "And sir, I had Lieutenants Hildi and Obion check them. We have enough for fifteen more days. Fifteen days of snacks, fifteen days of mineral and bio-supplements, fifteen days of fresh water, new carbo-oxide scrubbers, new filtrators, and other items."

"Okay, Commander, how's the transfer progress?" I asked. "Karloff, is there more fuel than we need for what amounts to a one-day journey?"

"Aye, sir," Karloff replied. "And the funny thing is there's still about 1/8th of the payload left on the pod. We cannot squeeze any more fuel or monopropellant into the Excursion. Our tanks are full. We have more than enough fuel for the return home. We didn't need a quarter of what we now have on board."

"Well, Commander, detach the pod," I ordered. "Commander Obion, prepare to plot a course back to Kerbin orbit. Two-eight-zero kilometers."

"Aye, sir, course plotted. Awaiting your final order, sir!" Obion replied.

"Captain, the cargo pod is detached. It's moving away from the Excursion at 15.0 meters per second, sir. The Excursion's computer shows it is clear from the ship."

rIQDkmE.png

phF07MC.png

USexXGg.png

"Okay, let's head home," With that, the Excursion shuddered to life as Obion engaged the throttle. The burn would not be a long burn. The main reason was to change our orbit so the cargo pod would not interfere or pose a collision hazard as we changed our heading at the next maneuver node in nine hours.

8NQitQC.png

"Commander," I answered after a lengthy pause. "I understand that Dr. Angelo and even Gene believe we can rely on the onboard computer entirely for navigation. But as long as I am in command of a ship, whoever is serving as my first officer and chief science officer will always have to know how to do the equations to verify the computer's calculations.”

"Sir, I was hoping you'd say that," Karloff said with a smile. "When I get my command, you can bet it's something I plan to continue. With your permission, I want to personally expand our current training beyond Lieutenant Obion to include the rest of the command deck crew, with your permission, of course."

"Commander, that sounds like an excellent idea," I added. "But keep in mind, we only have, at most, a day and a half before we are back in Kerbin orbit. There's not a lot of proficiency to be gained in that amount of time –- "

I thought I heard a quiet cheer or two from Lieutenant Gilti and Ensign Hildi. But it was nothing like the groans when Karloff said –

“Sir, never underestimate what can be accomplished in a day!”

The rest of the first watch went without any issues. I took a moment at crew rotation to catch up on the latest data packet from the space center. Gene has ordered more night patrols along the space center's northern flight training area. While there's no official reason for the increased flights, it is a safe bet to say he's trying to keep an eye on what those anti-aircraft batteries around New Kerbin City are doing. Prime Consul Katrine continues to doubt the existence of the unidentified alien craft and claims it is a KDF strategy to increase its spending on research and development. Yet these air defense units outside the city are not under the jurisdiction of the KDF but her direct authority. It bothers me as much as it does Dr. Zarkov, Gene, and countless others aware of the situation.

m5xKMKr.png

Soon, the pilot of this aircraft would be coming within 65 kilometers of New Kerbin City and would ping every active air defense battery along the southern perimeter of the NKC defensive zone with its air-to-ground weapons targeting system. And, tomorrow morning, during the regular working shift hours, there would be an official complaint waiting for Gene when he arrived at the KSC, demanding the training flights not include targeting practice on live defensive targets. It has now been the cycle of things for the past five days. The data packet didn't contain the standard video log of the entire flight, just the take-off from the KSC and the steep banking turn to the north-northeast.

I am a little uneasy about the growing tensions between the Grand Committee, the Prime Consul, and the Kerbin Defense Forces. The rivalry is between the Prime Consul and the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration members, particularly Gene and Dr. Haywood. From all the information I have, including conversations with Dr. Zarkov, it appears that others in the Grand Committee and the Kerbal Defense Force are increasingly concerned about ongoing friction.

One of the more less-serious parts of the data packet was the update from what Bobak calls the chronicles of the insane Dr. Zarkov. Earlier this week, Dr. Zarkov Used his seat as a Triune Committee member for his pet project. He ordered the KDF's three main transport ships, the Emiko Maru, Chibi Maru, and Jimu Maru, to report any areas of pink slime they encountered. For the last three days, these ships have departed their usual cargo routes looking for places where the pink slime might be.   

k2kpFhP.png

fpMeXsV.png

4sPvT8U.png

About an hour and a half before dawn, the first potential sighting happened on the route taken by the Chibi Maru. Located near the shallows of an uninhabited island in the South Major Sea, the ship and crew waited until mid-morning to continue its journey through the shallows. Her captain, Lieutenant Commander Mables Kerman, was more than irritated by Dr. Zarkov's strange order. She had to remain in the area until after sunrise, and even after it was determined there was no pink slime in the area, she was ordered to remain there. It would be another two hours before Dr. Zarkov could interpret enough data from orbital scans to determine if the Chibi Maru was near any additional likely candidates for pink slime harvesting.

vpOMiPH.png

a1xYiBm.png

6JyQJtp.png

The captain of the Emiko Maru also struck out but not looking too hard for the pink slime anyway. Lieutenant Commander Baruki was still not too excited about her first run-in with the pink goo being the first vessel on the scene when Dr. Edmund's craft went down. From what's available in the data packet, it seemed she did steer into the bay and along the shallows near the KSC but didn't put much effort beyond the minimum in looking for the slime. Not that I blame her. To this day, I don't understand what Dr. Zarkov plans to do with it or why he is so interested in the stuff. Sure, he did discover it is some sort of micro-life. But how it relates to the real issues facing Kerbin is something I don’t understand.

8SH2rPJ.png

8du1N1h.png

OhHC6ZT.png

yRipS71.jpg

The only one of the three transport ships to spot the pink slime is the Jimu Maru, in the Southern Minor Ocean. According to the data packet, Lieutenant Commander Gia Kerman, the ship's captain, while on the regular route, has encountered the pink slime in what she describes as "clouds in the water" for the last five months. And on this current voyage, she and her crew have again encountered the pink slime in roughly the same area. Now it seems that Dr. Zarkov has asked Commander Gia to see if she can retrieve a sample of the pink slime and send it to him as quickly as possible.

The last conversation I had with Dr. Zarkov has left me a bit uneasy. He is eccentric, and sometimes, he's scary. His fixation on the pink slime since the discovery it is made of micro-life – some tiny animal – is almost unnatural, considering he usually is studying the stars. But this pink slime has a supernatural hold on his attention. Bobak mentioned in the last briefings at the KSC that Dr. Zarkov wants to include a mystery goo container full of pink slime into the next scientific mission to the Station Zebulan Kerman. He wants to see how the pink slime reacts to the vacuum of space!

It's now the end of the third watch of the day. I'm alone on the command deck, sitting at the helm station of the Excursion, having dismissed Lieutenant Gilti and Ensign Triy for the remainder of their shift. The last part of the late shift and the third year since the emergence will end in another quarter hour. After that, it will be Year 004, the beginning of a new year, and the annual celebration of Kolopukin.

Kolopukin is a time when all things are new. If there are beings from other worlds,  I wonder if they celebrate anything like Kolopukin on their planet. Earlier today, Lieutenant Gilti began handing out some of the boxes Bobak labeled "K-Supplies" among the crew. The boxes were filled with everything needed for a proper celebration. There were party cones for our heads, paper streamers to throw around when the ship's kronometer indicated the date was Eve Y0004, and all kinds of snacks one could ever hope for – including dried sea bugs! Once the boxes were handed out, I did the only thing a responsible captain could do –let the remaining crew have the rest of the watch off and remain until Commander Karloff comes on duty with the first watch.

I'm going to end this entry now. Something is coming through on the communications panel that requires my immediate attention.

cmMGTxw.png

This can’t be good I thought to myself.

vEAQz2Y.png

Katrina. No, this isn't good.

"Ah, Captain Kerny," Prime Consul Katrina began, drawing out each word as a scolding parent does to their yearling. "I see you're on the command deck. This communication is supposed to be secured and for you only."

"Yes, Madame Consul," I really hate formality. "I am the only one on watch right now." Reaching over, I pressed the secure communications button on the helm console. Immediately, the command deck lighting turned blue, and the loud magnetic locks of the access hatch could be heard clanging. The command deck was now secure. "It's Kolopukin, and I gave the rest of the watch crew off for the celebration."

"I see," Katrina said, her scolding tone still present. "I received an update from General Gene about your recent contact with the object around Minmus. Not that I don't distrust Gene. I want more information, Captain, but I only want it straight from you."

"Yes, Madame Consul," I replied. "I will be happy to answer any question you may have."

"Captain," she replied, her tone improving only slightly. "I trust the cargo pod arrived as scheduled?"

"Yes, madame." Why is she interested in this? "It did."

"Good," and what she added next caught me off guard. "I ordered Gene to give you extra supplies and fuel. I am ordering your mission extended, Captain. Effective immediately, your orders are to return to Minmus and find that craft. If it is there, I want more information about it."

"Yes, Madame Consul!" This turn of events was not what I was expecting at all.

"Captain," she added. Her tone was even more serious now than when the call first began. "Let me be clear. In two days, I will send an encrypted data packet with a list of objectives I want you to accomplish on this mission. You will personally brief your crew. But there will be no external communication about the objectives I give you. You will report directly to me when this mission is complete. Gene and Dr. Zarkov have already been warned about interference in this mission. As the Prime Consul, the Articles give me the authority to order the KDF to undertake any mission for the defense of Kerbin – and this assignment falls under that category. I know you hate politics, but it's how it is for now."

"I understand, Madame," I said. And she was right. Everyone in the KDF knew the Prime Consul was responsible for the defense of Kerbin. If the aliens were a threat to Kerbin, she was responsible for finding out. And the Excursion's mission would be to find out the information the Prime Consul wanted.

"Captain, thank you for understanding. And may the gods grant you safe passage on the night’s sea.” And with that old blessing from the Southern Minor Ocean fishing tradition, the Prime Consul’s image was replaced with the seal of the Grand Committee.

l9upPtr.png

lQDy6MZ.png

Our mission wasn’t over yet. It just reached its halfway point. But for now, I’m going to let the crew enjoy Kolopukin. They deserve it.

"So much for the little training cruise..." - Sulu

Wow, who would've thought that Katrina would send the Excursion on an extended trip! Makes me think she's the deepest undercover Section 31 operative there is.

But there will be no external communication about the objectives I give you.

"Yeah, so, anyway, Gene, we're off to Minmus to continue investigating that alien spacecraft. Oops! Was that my inner voice?"

Those ships look great!

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

"So much for the little training cruise..." - Sulu

That happened when they were told to go rescue the crew of the Discovery IV. But at least there's no Khan waiting for them.

"Yeah, so, anyway, Gene, we're off to Minmus to continue investigating that alien spacecraft. Oops! Was that my inner voice?"

Yeah, about that. Expect fireworks - with Kerny and his crew caught in the middle. Sometimes the vastness of space is the safest place to be.

Those ships look great!

One of the reasons there's been a delay in the chapters, besides real world commitments, is I am trying to get ready to bring Kerny and his crew into 1.12.3 - the long awaited jump. Many of these ships are showing their "age" compared to what I am able to do with the newer mods and features of 1.12.3. 

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

That happened when they were told to go rescue the crew of the Discovery IV. But at least there's no Khan waiting for them.

I dunno, Khan Kerman has a nice ring to it. And if he's found in a lava tube somewhere, it would be a... Khan cave.

2 hours ago, JSeki0017 said:

Just finished binging  what's been posted. Followed almost immediately. @adsii1970thanks alot for this masterpiece!

Thanks for the complement! There's another chapter coming in about two weeks (or less). It all depends on real life time consumers. :)

• 4 months later...

Eve 1, Y004
"A new year, new challenges, and where did my bag of dried sea bugs go?
"

MISSION DAY +19.50

Chapter 85

Bcj9ENi.png

Today is Kolopukin, an annual day of rest dating back to the earliest of our civilization. From what our legends tell us, before the nations formed, all of Kerbin was one great civilization similar to what we are now. According to the most ancient of legends, the ancient and wise king Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn noticed that at this time of the year, none of the food-producing plants bloomed for one cycle. He also saw the sea bug swarms go beyond the shallows of the seas into the dark waters. It was a strange time that even the Mün would disappear - at day - and Kerbol's light would dim as if it were twilight, only to reemerge gradually as it had hidden. King Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn began to predict these happenings and all alive at the time knew he was a king and a deity. He continued to reign for another two hundred years before ascending to the heavens in a chariot of fire.

Over time, a statue was constructed over the site where he supposedly ascended. Within a few generations, the pyramids around the area were added. The great pyramid was built sometime in between and was where his palace once stood. Since the emergence about three, well - four years ago - there's been a lot of study of the site. One of the first things Dr. Zarkov did when he was named as Chief Astronomer and Physicist of the University of Kerbania was to petition the Grand Committee to establish a permanent scientific research settlement at Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn. Since then, Tulum Station has become one of the most requested temporary assignments and leave destinations within the Kerbin Defense Forces and with the civilian population. Today being Kolopukin, I imagine that guest lodging among one of Kerbin's most revered sites is hard to come by.

Before Commander Karloff and his reduced crew of Ensign Triy and Lieutenant Gilti, I had some corrections to perform before our next maneuver node. Despite our delayed rendezvous with the Zebulan Kerman, Dr. Angelo continues to progress in the Excursion's primary computer operating system. The last operating system update sent to us by Dr. Angelo improved the ship's response to the helm controls. It was now possible to run nearly all of the engineering and propulsion systems from the helm console on the command deck. Surprisingly, what cannot be operated from this console can now be operated from the engineering monitoring station behind the center command seat.

Eg0GAv0.png

AxX7Jda.png

QipCSeg.png

390h070.png

JmVPcvW.png

“Hey, Captain,” Karloff was now making his way to the command deck. “Am I missing something? I thought I just felt a change in direction --” His shift wasn’t scheduled to begin in another thirty minutes.

“Well, Karloff, our mission has been extended. Again.” I wondered how I would explain our latest vague orders from the Prime Consul. She said she would send another more detailed data packet within two days. Two days can seem like an eternity when there’s a lot of uncertainty.

“What does the Old Man want us to do this time?” Karloff said, a half-joking tone in his voice.

“Our operational orders aren’t from him, Karloff.” After a brief pause, I added, “They come from the Prime Consul.”

We sat there for a few moments. The sound of the ship’s ventilation system and the automatic stabilization systems adjusting to steady the Excursion after the realignment and course correction broke the silence. It was easy to see that Karloff was overcome with the seriousness of this most recent development to our mission.

“Sir, what’s our new mission?” He asked, with a bit of hesitation in his voice.

“Karloff,” I said, slightly pausing, “I wish I knew. She wants us to go back to Minmus and find that alien craft. Last night, in a priority communication, I received verbal orders to plot a new course for Minmus. Within two days, we would receive new operational orders. I’ve entered her orders into the ship’s index log 0031040.60. As soon as we get the actual operational orders Prime Consul Katrine told us she would send; they will need to be posted in the log, too.”

“Aye, sir,” Karloff replied. “She didn’t give you any hints of the mission goals, did she?”

“No, commander, none.” I, too, have my doubts. “But she’s curious about that alien craft. So, until we know more, we will share that with the crew—no need to fuel speculation. We will tell them everything we know as we know it. But until Kolopukin is over, there really isn’t any point in having any crew meeting.”

ZWPW4Xp.png

We sat there in awkward silence as the Excursion's RCS and stabilization system made some additional minor adjustments. A small audible but soft ding could be heard coming from the console. Along with the operating system update, Dr. Angelo had added a software feature to use notification tones as various tasks were completed by the ship's systems.

"Captain, what was that?" Karloff asked. "I don't remember seeing that in the last update --"

"It came in last night as you and the rest of the crew were celebrating," I began. "Since most of the ship's systems were placed on standby, I contacted Dr. Angelo, and he talked me through installing the upgrade to the core computer operating system. That's one of the upgrades to how the ship's computer operates."

For the next few minutes, I briefed Karloff on the new system upgrade and its operational changes to the command deck. I explained how every function of the ship - from cargo handling, hydroponics, engineering, communications, and life sustainment - everything could now be monitored from the command deck.

"And he did it all from the KSC?" Karloff asked.

"Yes -- " I began. Almost not believing the changes myself. "And just imagine what Dr. Angelo will do with our ship once we return home." He already shared some of his plans for the Excursion once this trip was finished. He said that many of the components were already in the process of being constructed either in orbit or on Kerbin, to be available the moment we returned. Much of this ship - aft of the command deck - would be redesigned to incorporate our recommendations.

"Sir, if you wanted to go ahead and end your shift," he began, "I'm already here."

"Thanks, Commander." And with that, I headed down the spine corridor to my quarters. Now that my watch is finally over and I have been relieved by Commander Karloff, I've had a chance to review the latest data packets sent from Bobak. Out of habit, more than anything else, I pressed the secure communications button on the small console. Immediately, the light in my cabin turned blue as the magnetic lock sealed the door.

The first file involved a mysterious mission involving Major Froming. A few days ago, he flew a mission from the Island Airfield to the KSC with orders to wait for a response from Dr. Angelo and Gene. Yesterday, while most of the space center was beginning to celebrate Kolopukin, Froming headed back with the reply.

OmS6lfw.png

hciz12i.png

rL4SWiH.png

kDaTNTg.png

3IjxNpg.png

prLKCga.png

Froming had been one of the first batches of students trained by Jebediah Kerman when the Kerbal Defense Forces pilot training program first began. I couldn't help but chuckle as my mind recited the words often said by Jebediah in new pilot orientation - "take every opportunity to take off like a zotz from the Xibalba!" I'm not sure what that even means since zotz are nearly blind and fly by some natural bio-emission echo and live in caves. And they do not fly in straight lines. But they do fly fast; maybe that's what the saying means.

NCREfl7.png

nx0oiZ3.png

The short flight was uneventful. Froming continued to push the small training craft to its limits as he carried out his orders to the letter. After all, Bobak said Dr. Zarkov's instructions were to return immediately. And any Kerman who loves to fly always has the need for speed. If there were any justification for full throttle, it would seem that Zarkov's instructions gave Major Froming that justification. I know if I were Froming, I know what I would do!

osvQyXT.png

GNCQmGz.png

LNSnL4h.png

Bobak has no idea what was in either data stick - the one sent by Dr. Zarkov or the one returned by Dr. Angelo and Gene. But whatever information they contained was not meant to be shared on the data network. Even the newest updates by Dr. Angelo have seen a lot of improvement in data coding and encryption. Bio-identification cannot be bypassed with the security codes for medium and higher level encryption since the new update. It now requires an arcus scan of either the left or right eye. Apparently, no two Kermen have the same arcus pattern. To be honest, I never put much thought into it.

The second file of the data packet was an update on the Discovery IV mission. Unlike the first file sent by Bobak, this one did not require a security code or arcus scan. Once we separated from the Discovery IV, they continued on their original mission to make contact with the Mün Arch Settlement's computer core. The first part of their mission was to see if the settlement's computer could be contacted from orbit. Since the Third Anomaly, the space center has lost all connection with the settlement.

GnISCHo.png

[Beep] "KSC Control, this is Discovery IV. We are in stable orbit around the Mün. We should be passing [Beep] within communications range within the next fifteen minutes."

[Beep] "Discovery, this is KSC Control. Roger, we read you. You may proceed with the mission according to plan. We will monitor from here." [Beep]

"Ensign Gemtrice," Commander Orvin could be heard over the background sounds. "Begin the transponding signal [Beep] sequence. Let's hope Gene and Dr. Haywood are right."

"Aye, sir," Gemtrice gleefully responded. "Transmitting now."

t9MoAY2.png

[Beep] "Discovery IV, this is KSC Control. We are receiving transponding signal but no reply from Mün Arch Settlement," Bobak's voice was unmistakable. "Can you [Beep] confirm?"

"KSC Control, this is Discovery IV," Gemtrice replied. "No response - wait --"

l47mMtn.png

RXqaN5n.png

C1uFu4H.png

qrwCEau.png

"KSC Control -- we have a signal! Repeat, we have a signal!"  [Beep] The excitement of Gemtrice's voice filled my entire cabin. "The main settlement computer indicates it has a breathable atmosphere, but [Beep] the internal temperature is around -170° Kelcis. The computer core powered everything down once it lost communication with the KSC. But [Beep] indicates restoring basic life support to the settlement."

"Discovery IV, this is KSC Control, Roger that." This time, it was Gene's unmistakable voice. "Proceed with Operational Mission Order [Beep]. Repeat. Proceed with Operational Mission order Two. Mission Order One is complete. Contact again when capturing complete."

"KSC Control, this is Discovery IV," Commander Orvin's voice barely contained his excitement. "Roger will contact you when capture is complete. The best calculation is we will have intercept with the lander module in five hours."

"Roger, Discovery IV. This is KSC Control, over and out." And with that, the second and last file of the data packet ended.

With the following significant course change coming up in five hours, I have that long to explain to the crew about the new change to our mission. I still haven't heard anything from Dr. Zarkov, Gene, or even Dr. Haywood about the Prime Consul's intent. But she is correct. Article XIV does give her the right to direct any asset assigned to the Kerbin Defense Force to undertake any mission in the interests of the defense of Kerbin.

I do not doubt the ability of my crew or this ship. As far as I can tell, the changes to the operating system of the computer core have improved the handling of this vessel. The real test will be how the Excursion handles a more serious operational element of the mission and not just a slight course correction. While the crew was looking forward to returning to Kerbin, each one volunteered to be here - in space. So far, except for the crew of the Space Station Zebulan Kerbin, this crew has been in space longer than any other crew. But unlike the space station crew, nearly all of our time has been beyond the orbit of Kerbin.

With all the reports done for the end of this shift, the only thing left is to close this log entry and get some sleep before the next communications packet arrives in three hours. But before I do that - wait!

No! Well, the only celebration rations I wanted was one of the bags of dried sea bugs sent to us in the cargo pod. So, while the supplies for Kolopukin were being passed out, Gilti made sure to give me one bag. And it seems I left them on the command deck. I'm too tired to go back for them now; and if I know Karloff, he has probably already eaten the whole bag by now.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Angel-125 said:

Lol, guard those bags of dried sea bugs like they're your lifeblood, Kerny! You know you can't eat just one...

In my graduate school days I developed a bad habit - Nacho flavored Doritos. But to help me with my stress-eating, I'd buy the small bags from the gas station on the way to campus. One morning, I left the bag on the desk I was assigned in the common office all of us Ph.D. candidates shared. After I finished teaching that morning's Japanese history class, I returned to find one of my office mates ATE my bag of Doritos. :mad:

I am thoroughly convinced we all have that one snack we are highly addicted to - and we all know that one person who will, without remorse, eat our beloved snack if given the chance.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Angel-125 said:

I wonder what's on that data stick? Old images? Documents? Firmware updates for an ASUS motherboard's BIOS?

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Perhaps a certain something resembling Saturn's moon Mimas?

Hmmm, something else to wonder about... :cool:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Eve 3, Y004
"The slow passage of time, adrift in space
."

MISSION DAY +21.75

Chapter 86

Now that I'm back in my quarters and Karloff has this watch, it's an excellent time to catch up on the activities of today and yesterday. I know the Committee on Aeronautics and Spaceflight insists that what began as my journal is now the official mission log whenever a vessel under my command is on a mission. Gene reminded me in the last data packet that my journals needed to be more frequent rather than having large gaps between entries. Anything more of a personal nature is required to indicate that it was my "personal log" and not part of the official mission log. I wonder if there is other life in the universe, and if that other intelligent life -- if they have to deal with what we call loodons -- Kermen who make up rules to force others to follow those stupid rules! Our Grand Committee is full of loodons. And unfortunately, Gene and the rest of us in the space program must obey their every rule.

Yesterday was relatively quiet. There were a few minor course corrections we had to make. Although Prime Consul Katrine's orders caught everyone off guard, I'm glad our mission has been extended for the sake of our engineering team. The schematics Dr. Angelo provided in the cargo pod specifically for Commander Karloff contained plans for the complete rewiring schematic for the command pod. In the command crew briefing at what would have been late evening KSC time yesterday, Karloff mumbled something like, "Wow, the command deck is supposed to have more lighting?" and with that, touched his communications pad and sent a message for Ensign Triy and Lieutenant Obion meet him on the command deck after the briefing was over.

For the next three hours, I watched as nearly every panel and station was ripped apart, new wiring and new interfaces were installed, and sparks would sometimes shoot up from wherever they were working. A few times, Karloff would let out a loud shriek of pain, followed by an unnerving and wicked laugh. But once all the panels and stations were reassembled, Commander Karloff looked at me and said, "Sir, now the moment of truth. Want me to turn on the lights?"

And quoting the old texts from the stories of our ancestorial King Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn of legend, I shouted, "May the light of Kerbol shine upon us!"

Karloff's smile stretched across his face as he reached down on the primary steerage panel, pressed the internal lights button, and -- a spark shot out! "Now, that's not supposed to happen -- " But before he could finish his sentence, the lights of the command deck flickered from their usual dim glow and began to grow brighter.

0A5aRXr.png

"Uh, commander," I asked, in a concerned tone. "Our center screen isn't --"

"Yes, sir!" Karloff interjected rather excitedly. "Dr. Angelo has new software and hardware I need to install. It will be offline for another thirty minutes. I've already rewired everything under the deck panels that needed to be rewired. Everything that needs to be upgraded now is within the ship's computer or on the screen itself."

"Well, commander," I added, "then I suggest you get busy. "Lieutenant Hildi's watch begins in two hours -- "

"She'll be done by then, sir." He explained. "According to Dr. Angelo's schematics and instructions, I'll be done in thirty minutes. I don't see any potential problems at this point."

And true to his word and the estimate provided by Dr. Angelo, the remaining work was completed in a little less than thirty minutes. The center screen now had features we had asked about in our first after-mission report but was never implemented. We could display the content from any of the screens of the various bridge stations, the external cameras, the ship's trajectory, and communications directly on the center screen. The screen has even more potential, but Karloff said those features would have to be installed once we returned to the Zebulan Kerbin for our major refit.

JeMbBV0.png

Once Commander Karloff and his merry band of space mechanics were done with the bridge upgrades, off they went to work on computer interfaces within the engineering section. These upgrades were software upgrades with the understanding they would rebalance the engines to conserve our onboard fuel supply. The actual engine upgrades would happen once we return from this mission. Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher had included a list of things the next refit would consist of, and at the top of the list was an all-new drive system for the Excursion. The current drive system is highly inefficient, and without a mid-point refueling, we would never have been able to return to Minmus as we are now. We were barely able to return to Kerbin as it was.

There will be changes to the superstructure of the ship, too. The slanted docking ports will be removed because we rarely use them. Although it was believed that having docking ports at various angles would allow this ship to be more versatile, it has proven to be more of a design flaw. Other changes will be made, too, such as removing the "podded wings," as we call them, the extensions that hold crew quarters away from the command deck hull. Initially, the Excursion began as a modular design, but those "podded wings" were hard-welded into place over the first few refits.

Yesterday's data packet contained information about the shuttle, Jala Kerman. The last time we heard anything about the shuttle was when communication had been lost during the previous minor anomaly when contact was lost as the shuttle began its deorbit burn. Last night's data packet contained information about what happened to the shuttle, where she landed, and her newest mission. It turns out that the shuttle Jala Kerman made an emergency landing at Tulum station without the aid of anything other than radio communications and guidance.

Jala Kerman returned to space yesterday afternoon with the first crew of engineers and scientists in preparation for our return in eleven days. This crew, selected by Dr. Angelo and Dr. Wernher, will be doing the bulk of the work on the refit of the Excursion. Yesterday's launch was perfect; as the countdown could be heard on the loudspeakers at the KSC launchpad, everyone aboard the Excursion's small conference room was as excited as I was. I know many Kermen already see shuttle launches as routine, but I do not think I will ever consider any launch that way.

pY7ydDy.png

Iet3h1E.png

q6RxB7N.png

rqZOtLr.png

"Mission Control, this is Jala Kerman," this was the first time I could hear the shuttle commander's voice above the chatter of my crew. "Request 'go' for roll."

"Hey, Captain," Hildi asked, "where's the beep?" She was right! Unlike the previous shuttle launches we had been sent in our data pack, this one didn't contain any beeps. It was then it hit me -- the audio was obvious. The file's audio part was more static-free than we had ever heard.

"Well, Ensign," Karloff began, "if you bothered to read all the data packet the Captain shared, you would have read that Dr. Angelo's team has been trying to improve communications between the KSC, the tracking stations, and spacecraft. This is part of the new communications systems."

I'll admit, it's a lot of improvement in a week. According to the data packet, this most recent communication upgrade, the same one that the Excursion had installed on our last refit, is referred to as "Phase Two" communications. The shuttles have been retrofitted for now, and all stations and the Excursion have it, in addition to the KSC and New Kerbin City's communications center. Our next refit will see "Phase Three" communications, where we will have direct live video communications, albeit initially limited to just the KSC available. Everything already has this ability, but it is limited to audio-only. There is limited live video capacity, but only in low Kerbin orbit. This upgrade will make it possible throughout Kerbin's sphere of influence and possibly beyond. 

mu4moSH.png

aZjiU4E.png

With the roll complete, the Jala Kerman continued her journey into space. The information in the data packet shows that the shuttle is rapidly becoming too limited in its ability to meet the needs of the space program. When Dr. Wernher initially designed it, his vision was it would be servicing stations in Kerbin's orbit. But Gene saw an opportunity to use it for much more than that. He saw it as a freight platform from the KSC into low Kerbin orbit.

23bJvH5.png

AzFkkMz.png

We watched and listened as she continued her burn into low Kerbin orbit. Then she reached the second significant milestone of her trip - the four solid rocket boosters were jettisoned and fell back to the surface. Although the chase craft and cameras were focused on the Jala Kerman, we all had watched launches before. Soon, the solid rocket boosters' parachutes would deploy, land in the water near the KSC, and be recovered and sent off for refurbishment. Now, the shuttle and the external fuel tank would continue its journey.

The separation happened without any significant issues. We watched as the shuttle rolled away from the now-discarded external fuel tank, shifted its orbit, and prepared for the next part of its mission, the rendezvous, and docking with the Zebulan Kerman.

gJftDgw.png

As the following mission report filled the screen, we watched as the crew of the Discovery IV continued their mission to determine the status of the Mün Arch Station. The decision was made early in the station's development to leave a crew landing craft in orbit of the Mün. Unlike the video and audio from the Jala Kerman mission, this one was still full of beeps. But as Karloff pointed out, one-time-use space capsules would not be retrofitted. Only newly constructed capsules would feature the new system. 

KZ4IYao.png

bQigNDh.png

"Discovery IV, this is KSC Control, [BEEP]." It was easy to tell it was Bobak. "We read you. Retraction of solar panels complete. We have received your telemetry. You may proceed with docking with the crew landing vehicle [BEEP]."

"Roger, KSC Control." It was the voice of Lieutenant Commander Orvin. "We are now picking up the CLV on our radar. However, we are not receiving any data from its flight computer."

Wyq8z1M.png

WtK34kk.png

pXWjG0Y.png

"Roger, Discovery IV, [BEEP]." Bobak's voice still sounded confident. "You'll encounter it over the horizon."

ewDjwls.png

tUDuHLJ.png

BTAixKD.png

xO8ZOA2.png

We watched as the Discovery IV crossed over the terminator, and as Kerbol's light was again visible on the surface of the Mün, the CLV was now in sight. We watched as the two craft came closer together and eventually docked. We listened as Bobak gave the new set of instructions to the crew. They were to land at the Mün Arch Station, see what repairs the station needs, and return to Kerbin.

Our mission continues. We did the first of three major maneuver burns earlier this morning on our return to Minmus. I admit the improved lighting on the command deck does make it easier to see what's happening. The improvement to the central screen is quite impressive. Sure, Karloff was able to rig a system where we could see the ship's trajectory on the screen before this update. Dr. Angelo never knew that -- but this new upgrade improves the quality of the display.

3LrbQBs.png

gWnjSdc.png

One of the things about all the space adventure shows we get in the data packets is unless you're orbiting a planet, there's no concept of horizontal alignment. I had a pretty good laugh in the last data packet. One of the Committee on Aeronautics and Space Exploration members became upset at how often the command deck recordings show us flying not with a horizontal orientation of Kerbin. As I relayed the situation to Gene earlier this afternoon, he replied, "What do you expect from a Kerman who has never left the ground!"

I3EUtyW.png

vIvTDOB.png

As we began our burn, I started thinking of all the changes the next refit would bring to this ship. The current configuration has developed from observations of what worked and didn't. The existing command deck is nearly three times the size of the original command deck. We've learned that spaceships must have some form of symmetry along their axis, or the unequal mass distribution causes severe issues. I've also seen my crew expand in size. I now have a crew of five; when we leave orbit next time, we will have a crew of eight. From what Gene has said, the decision to increase the crew's size is based on the need expressed by Karloff for more engineering staff and Hildi's request for an additional person to create a medical team.

bOvc0wD.png

I2YPfrK.png

"Captain," Lieutenant Obion said, "we are coming up on the maneuver node in fifteen minutes." Obion had spent much of today following Karloff around and assisting with updates. Instead of asking to change the rotation schedule, he kept his assigned shift on the command deck. This is another reason for the increased crew size. Longer missions require more crew.

4CncCkf.png

3UtFeIY.png

73qAHlN.png

DLlrCut.png

With the burn behind us, the next maneuver node will be in another two days. That one will place us on a course to intercept Minmus in four days, nearly a day and a half ahead of schedule. From what the information in the data stick said, Dr. Angelo, Dr. Wernher, and Dr. Haywood are already discussing the next generation of propulsion systems that will be installed beyond our upcoming refit. Gene has claimed these new propulsion systems are nothing more than a hypothetical discussion, but to me, they are fascinating. Dr. Angelo believes that one day, we will be able to travel to Minmus in a matter of hours rather than days and Duna in a matter of days rather than years --   

"Captain," I recognized the voice of Triy anywhere. "We have a data packet coming in marked sensitive, restricted delivery."

"Route it here, ensign," I said. Suddenly that feeling of uneasiness hit me. These should be the operational orders the Prime Consul mentioned two days ago. The familiar sound of the magnetic locks securing my cabin door could be heard, followed by the familiar glow of blue lights indicating the room was secure. Maxbas was still at the port side botany lab, working on a project involving some growth pods she was sent in the last cargo pod. Although her clearance was the same as Karloff's, I still had to be careful with what information I released to the crew -- including her. As I entered the authentication code, I could not believe the specifics of the orders:

xP6pAEu.png

These were not just to "go back and see if you can find the alien craft" orders. These were "go back and scan, attempt contact; if no contact, dock and board" orders. Our last encounter wasn't so great. We bumped into the alien craft. This time, we are going to be doing something different. For now, I think I will keep these orders from the crew. The problem I must deal with is how to downplay this mission's dangers without having the crew disregard the risk. Some of the younger members of the crew are already uneasy about returning to Minmus. Maxbas is one of them. If I am not careful in presenting the mission orders to them, I could lose the support of the crew. If the crew does not support this mission, mistakes will be made. This is one mission we don't have much room for mistakes.

These were not just to "go back and see if you can find the alien craft" orders. These were "go back and scan, attempt contact; if no contact, dock and board" orders.

Where are the Space Marines when you need them- or at least Space Vikings!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.